Need opinions on dollar coins for tips...

I am a first time cruiser at the end of April, and read somewhere in here a while back that the stewards, and cabin people like to receive the gold dollar coins as tips. Now I'm wondering if that's actually true, as I get closer to going. could someone let me know if that's indeed a fact, so I can go get some cash changed into coins....?? Thanks a bunch......

I am a first time cruiser at the end of April, and read somewhere in here a while back that the stewards, and cabin people like to receive the gold dollar coins as tips. Now I'm wondering if that's actually true, as I get closer to going. could someone let me know if that's indeed a fact, so I can go get some cash changed into coins....?? Thanks a bunch......

I don´t have any knowledge about if they like it or not, just a thought from myself. Many of the crew/staff is not from the US and the ships do not always sail to US ports - one thing I know is if you want to exchange Dollars into other currencies (i.e. to send home), banks do not exchange coins, but only paper money.

Paper money works best. Crew can spend the paper money in most of the ports but the specialty coins are harder to use outside the US.

Dianne

I agree.

Additionally, try to make sure the bill are in good physical condition. Bills with tears, tape, and/or writing on them aren't as readily accepting in other countries such as Mexico.

I doubt they would like dollar coins let alone prefer them. I've heard they're not to fond of $2 bills either. Makes sense too since most aren't from the States and would like US $ that are easily recognizeable. Many US citizens don't even know they still print $2 bills and some are unaware of the dollar coins.

Heck, I'm from the US and can't stand the dollar coins. :cool:

I agree.

Additionally, try to make sure the bill are in good physical condition. Bills with tears, tape, and/or writing on them aren't as readily accepting in other countries such as Mexico.

Another tip, shy away from brand new, uncirculated bills in any denomination. Although we know they are crisp and brand new, many vendors and store owners in other countries may question the bills because they look ``too new.''

Dianne

We always thought it was fun to give dollar coins/$2bills as a tip, untill we started getting strange looks from servers- I think they thought they were getting quarters not dollar coins!

We take lots of single dollar bills now..

Bev

wow, didn't expect such a quick large amount of answers, but thanks a bunch, I will definitely steer away from coins.......and yes, I will have a blast, how could you not??? thanks again, everybody!!

Heck, I'm from the US and can't stand the dollar coins. :cool:
I like 'em. I just wish that the Fed. would follow Canada's lead and discontinue the printing of the $1. It would save us lots of $$$.

If you want to do something cute and fun with the dollars so that you're still unique, try learning some dollar bill origami. For example, how to make a shirt

Thank you for those directions.

My oldest Grandson made me one of those many years ago when he was young. I have treasured it all these years and keep it in a little frame.

Now I can do it too. :)

I also have a ring made for me by my waiter on a Cruise ship. I still have that too.

I did not use mine on the ship as I had planned, (I never did get room service), but I used some in Nassau; by the Queen's Staircase; for a 'trinket' souvenir and the vendor was thrilled! She was so excited to bring them home to her son for his collection.

But, after reading this, I will not be using them on the ship.

Thanks for the question.

Those $1.00 coins are not recognized in most places outside the U.S. and aren't accepted in many more places.

Don't believe everything you read or hear. Same with $2.00 bills that people think are clever to give..... they aren't recognized either.

GOLLY!

We use them on every cruise. The new ones are bright and shiny but the used ones tarnish quickly.

We know there is a tip built into every drink order but we include one of the Fake $1 Gold Coins anyway. The Bar Tenders and Waiters remember us because of the coins and our drinks seem to somehow be fuller and when they see us coming, our drinks are waiting for us at our favorite place.

The work in soda and candy machines and we have also used them ashore in most of the ports with no problems.

They are hard to find. Most banks don't stock them but if you call and ask they can get them for you in a few days.

DSCN8453.jpg

I've always had a similar response with the Susan B or Sacagawea coins, but the new gold colored presidential coins were a big hit on our recent cruise.

Our assistant waiter enjoyed playing the "disappearing quarter" trick with the youngsters at dinner, then let them keep the quarter. I gave him a roll of the dollar coins to supplement his magic chest and he was thrilled.

I gave a handfull to our waiter at Johnny Rockets and a crowd of other waitstaff gathered around and were simply facinated.

I can understand that they might not be for everyone...offer them a choice.

GOLLY!

We use them on every cruise. The new ones are bright and shiny but the used ones tarnish quickly.

We know there is a tip built into every drink order but we include one of the Fake $1 Gold Coins anyway. The Bar Tenders and Waiters remember us because of the coins and our drinks seem to somehow be fuller and when they see us coming, our drinks are waiting for us at our favorite place.

The work in soda and candy machines and we have also used them ashore in most of the ports with no problems.

They are hard to find. Most banks don't stock them but if you call and ask they can get them for you in a few days.

DSCN8453.jpg

For me, those look too much like quarters! Knowing me, I'd misuse them and waste a ton of money. I'm going to have to go through my thing of quarters I use for laundry and see if any of them are dollars instead!

I like 'em. I just wish that the Fed. would follow Canada's lead and discontinue the printing of the $1. It would save us lots of $$$.

Many of us would disagree. I don't especially enjoy carrying around a pocket full of heavy coins and find that dollar bills are easier and less of a problem to carry. Many foreign countries use coins for various denominations and until you become used to them it can be easy to mistake a higher denomination coin for a lower one.

Archived