Ruby wetdock canceled/replaced by two 3 day cruises

Colo Cruiser

News Article

4/3/2009

Princess to Offer New Three-Day Sampler Sailings Aboard Ruby Princess

Passengers Can Enjoy a Quick Pre-Holiday Getaway on Line's Newest Ship

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (April 3, 2009) -- Princess has added two new sampler sailings aboard the new Ruby Princess, offering passengers an opportunity to escape from the holiday hustle and bustle with three-day cruises from Fort Lauderdale.

Departing on Monday, December 14 and Thursday, December 17, 2009, the new getaways each offer a call at the line's private island, Princess Cays -- an exclusive beach resort offering a day of relaxation and water sports. The sailings replace a previously scheduled wetdock.

"We were able to cancel an unnecessary maintenance period scheduled for Ruby Princess and turn it into a great opportunity for passengers to try our newest ship," said Jan Swartz, Princess executive vice president. "These sampler sailings are a rare opportunity to experience the Princess product on a quick getaway. We think our passengers will appreciate the great value of these mini cruises, plus the chance to escape just before the busy holiday period."

Launched in November 2008, the 3,080-passenger Ruby Princess features the line's most popular new features including a dramatic piazza-style atrium with small-bite eateries and an ever-changing line-up of street performers. Passengers will also enjoy an array of dining venues including the signature Sabatini's Italian restaurant and the Crown Grill steak house, plus the new Wheelhouse Bar pub lunch. The ship offers many other Princess innovations including the relaxing adults-only oasis called The Sanctuary, the poolside Movies Under the Stars experience, and a unique behind-the-scenes option called the Ultimate Ship Tour. Escape fares for the new sailings begin at $249 for the December 14 departure, and $299 for the December 17 cruise.

Dry dock is maintenance requiring the hull to be out of the water, or at least mostly so; wet dock properly means that the ship is kept afloat but within a closed (to water) dock so that maintenance can be done without worrying about tides - it may also mean simply maintenance that doesn't require a dry dock.

Since the Ruby is brand new they probably scheduled it in case there were little problems that showed up during the first few months. It's far better to have it scheduled and cancel it than to cancel cruises that have already been booked and upset passengers if things need to be repaired.

FritzG must be correct...After the shakedown cruise many ships (Naval & Civilian) need a tune-up.

I've heard of Navy ships needing engine overhauls after only a month or two at sea.

Steve

Whatever the reason for the cancelled wetdock, it is a win-win situation. Win for Princess to make some cash, and for people to sample Princess and the Ruby.

Do 3 day cruises count the same towards the captain's circle program as a "regular" 7 day cruise? I'll have to look that up...

Dry dock is maintenance requiring the hull to be out of the water, or at least mostly so; wet dock properly means that the ship is kept afloat but within a closed (to water) dock so that maintenance can be done without worrying about tides - it may also mean simply maintenance that doesn't require a dry dock.

It could be the end of the warranty period with the builder of the ship. I would just guess that there would be a 1 year warranty perod from the date of delivery or start of service. Perhaps Princess always schedules/predictes that there could be major/minor issues to correct that might take, say 4-7 days to fix, so they book that time off near the end of the warranty period. Examples might be repeated elevator problems, electrical power issues, or maybe as simple as cracked/broken materials in the construction. Better to have happy customers who don't have a cruise cancelled over unhappy customers with a cancelled cruise.

This could be something like a home or industrial construction or a car warranty. Maybe they didn't need 6 days for repairs as perhaps the issues were slight or none that couldn't be corrected in a matter of hours while in dock on a normal Sunday stop.

Only my guess, but I'd take a B2B cruise that week if I could.

Andrew

I reserved on the 12/17 sailing originally as an inside cabin last month, but when the prices on Oceanview cabins dropped to the same as inside, I upgraded. Then I looked at the relatively minor difference at upgrading to a balcony cabin......yes, I caved and am now in a BD cat balcony on the Aloha deck. :)

Even better, some friends I originally did my first Princess cruise on, have booked the cabin right next to mine!

I really love the opportunity to do these short cruises out of FLL. Since all of the short Princess cruises tend to exclusively sail out of west coast ports, it's really great. I did one of the 4 day cruises last May on the CB (they had cancelled a 3-week drydock and had multiple 3 and 4-day sailings to choose from) and it was a great time! I took my cruising newbie friend with me, who probably wasn't ready to do a full week just yet, and it was a nice getaway.

Since I'm sailing as a single, I'm also looking forward to racking up an extra Captain's Circle credit, too! :D

Whatever the reason for the cancelled wetdock, it is a win-win situation. Win for Princess to make some cash, and for people to sample Princess and the Ruby.

Do 3 day cruises count the same towards the captain's circle program as a "regular" 7 day cruise? I'll have to look that up...

Yes you will get one credit and 3 days at sea. The Captain circle rep was pushing that point hard on the Ruby 3 weeks ago. I might book this as well, but its gonna be chilly:(

We did the same thing - booked inside last month and yesterday changed to an Ocean view cabin for the same price!!:D It's an obstructed view but at least we have a window. Even though we can only do the 3 days we are anxious to sail on the Ruby and see the holiday decorations!

With any luck we will have a warm December like last year & beautiful weather to enjoy Princess Cay!;) Heck - who cares if it is a little chilly we will be on a cruise!!!

Andrea

~~~~~~

Yes you will get one credit and 3 days at sea. The Captain circle rep was pushing that point hard on the Ruby 3 weeks ago. I might book this as well, but its gonna be chilly:(

Oh, and don't forget if you sail as a single (paying the singles supplement) you get *double* credit. I did confirm that with Princess. :D

We did the same thing - booked inside last month and yesterday changed to an Ocean view cabin for the same price!!:D It's an obstructed view but at least we have a window. Even though we can only do the 3 days we are anxious to sail on the Ruby and see the holiday decorations!

With any luck we will have a warm December like last year & beautiful weather to enjoy Princess Cay!;) Heck - who cares if it is a little chilly we will be on a cruise!!!

Andrea

~~~~~~

I've never sailed during the holidays before. Do they decorate?

Also, as for the weather, it should be gorgeous. Temps here in South FL during that time of year are pretty great, though I imagine it might be a bit chillier at sea come nighttime. :)

LdyAndrea - Someone told me that they do decorate for the holidays starting after Thanksgiving so I am so excited to finally experience seeing it in person. Oh, and don't forget Princess has snow in the Piazza - how fun will that be.

I agree with you on the weather - should be great - we ate Christmas Eve dinner on our lanai last year.:)

Andrea

~~~~~

Archived