Opinions on hurricane season cruises?

We cruise each September (anniversary) . We have experienced a couple of itinerary changes (that actually resulted in us going some place we had never been and were very pleased).

We did sail through (on the outskirts of) Hurricane Ivan a few years back. That cruise was particularly rough. There was one day that absolutely nothing went on and barf bags were taped up all over the ship. 2 nights without shows. You could see the waves come over the bow of the ship. It was pretty wild. My husband and half of the ship were sick but it was short lived (about 1 full day) but it didn't take away from our cruise. We chose to look at it as an experience of a lifetime.

I do know of some that have been delayed or cancelled but have been fortunate to not have had that happen to us.

A cruise to no where is better than a week of work!

You should not book one for the itinerary in case a hurricane causes the itinerary to change.

Otherwise, we love hurricane season. The kids are in school, the weather is not hot as blazes as it is in the summer and the water is perfect.

Buy insurance and fly in or attempt to drive down a day early.

Highly considering a cruise at the end of August. I am a winter season cruiser so cruising during hurricane season is new to me....

Anything I should know? :rolleyes:

1. Hurricanes happen.

2. Itineraries can change.

3. Don't whine about it if it does happen.

4. If you're willing to roll the "hurricane dice" you can save $$$!

:p

(Don't flame me...That was said all in fun!)

We've sailed in hurricane season a couple of times and were lucky weather wise. However...It was terribly hot and humid in the islands - which is to be expected. Don't think we'll be doing it again any time soon.

We were actually cruising to Bermuda when a hurrican came up the eastern coast.

They did have us dock about 4 hours laters, and the wake was unbelievable at the beach that first day ... but we noticed nothing on the ship.

When we booked, we were told, approximately, where we would end up to avoid a hurricane.

So, I agree with the inital poster. If you are flexible with changes ... they aren't going to sail you into bad weather!

Okay - so where are these amazing prices everyone is talking about? :eek:

I am loooking at the Freedom on either August 23rd or 30th - for a D1 or D2 cabin - and there are no deals. Do prices usually drop closer to sailing for the summer???

In August don't the hurricanes form way out? By October they just kinda pop up out of nowhere. But I don't know which is more nerve racking, watching the hurricane and prediction cone move across the Atlantic for days or just see one form out of nowhere. :confused::rolleyes:

We were out during Hurricane Jeanne. Booked Eastern, went Western. 7 day cruise turned into a 10 day cruise that we only had two opportunities to get off, WE only got off once. Haven't been on a cruise during hurricane season since. :eek::o But someday we would like to tempt the adventure again.:)

We sailed on Mariner last Septemer out of Pt Canaveral. Our cruise was in the middle of the string of Hurricanes. Our first day at sea was pretty rough. We had steady 50 mph winds and a few higher gusts. We had to change from Ocho Rios to Mo Bay Jamaica and we had to cancel Grand Cayman because the seas were too high for tenders and they closed the harbor.

It's just a roll of the dice as to what the weather will do. We still had a very enjoyable cruise.

Someone might have mentioned this already, but remember that you may be stuck at sea a couple of extra days at the end of your curise. As Wrona posted Galveston was wiped out. I think Carnival ended up in New Orleans. You could get a few extra days cruising without paying for them. That is great as long as you have an understanding boss or don't have someone keeping the pets or kids.

I have tried to get hubby to cruise during hurricane season. He says nope!! He is a catastrophe adjuster so he sees first hand what they can do. I on the other hand think the captain will keep the big bucks safe. Some of our worst seas have been in January.

Enjoy the cruise, and please don't whine about itinerary changes done for your safety (as so often other people have done). Let us know how it goes! Be sure to get insurance.

You're kidding about the whining ...right? :rolleyes:

Hey Robyn,

with the exception of our last FOS cruise in Oct 08, we have had great weather...perhaps 1 day of rain on our NOS and MOS cruise and one afternoon shower on the LOS in Jamaica.

We do take a chance but it is the right kind of weather for us...hot and humid. we are taking the LOS the same week we did the LOS in 07 and hoping for the same kind of weather.

We always fly in a day before and buy insurance and go with the flow.

are you thinking of doing this cruise in addition to your November cruise...if so, you lucky thing you!!!!!

Go for it....

Like everyone else has said... just go with it. Don't count on whatever itinerary you book, it may well change (see my sig... I know!) You may have extra days (done that), change ports in same area (done that) or even change entire itinerary (done that, too!). But we are just happy to be cruising, someone else is cooking, cleaning, and making lots of drinks :D Nothing to whine about there.

Last year our family went on the Mariner in August. The ship left Port Canaveral on Sunday, and the port had just opened the day before due to a tropical storm and flooding. Cape Canerval was closed as well so we couldn't visit the day before.

By Monday evening Captain Johnny announced that we couldn't go to any of the ports we were scheduled due to tropical storm Gustave. It would be following us to each stop. So, our 4 ports became 2 as St Thomas and St Martin were able to allow us to arrive.

We were a little dissapointed but you go with the flow. Our 6yo and 12yo loved being on the ship anyhow and we were just happy to be on vacation.

I am posting 2 pictures that you may enjoy. We took a picture of the map on the the cabin television. Hurricane Gustave is on the left and Hurricane Hannah is on the right. We sailed right in between them. The second picture is a water spout seen from our balcony (a few years back we witnessed on in Grand Caymen as well).

Don't let these pictures fool you though. The entire week we did not have rough waters and we only had 5 minutes of rain total.

We have cruised 4 times and I believe all of them have been between August-October

IMG_1621.jpg.876a16196cfa3cb6f4bb992fb29a69cd.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg.e6b963f38626ca1762c4f716e1f92801.jpg

We we were after you, and skirted Ike, our schdule changed and changed agian. In the end we skiped Ohos Rios and went to Montego bay as Ochos Rios space was needed by another RCL ship (Liberty I think) that was diverted from a different route, so there was a shuffle up.

Apparently there were discussion taking place each day between Cpt Johnny and HO to access weahter and routes, to keep us safe and in the sun.

Archived