Opinions on hurricane season cruises?

We have sailed between August-October and always been fortunate. We had one Caribbean itinerrary that left from Boston a couple of years ago when there was a hurrricane lurking and chose to pack some warm clothing in the event that we might be diverted to Canada (this had happened to another voyage) but were fortunate enough to head south on an eastern route that bypassed the hurricane.

Cruise ships have some flexibility in that they can change course if need be.

As long as you know that you MAY run the risk of an altered itinerrary during hurricane season you should go ahead and book. Have a great time!

We just returned from a Western Carib cruise for my daughters wedding... Great time.... and booked on board for the Adventurer out of San Juan in Oct 09... I cant wait :D.... Does anyone know when the actual hurricane season is???

We just returned from a Western Carib cruise for my daughters wedding... Great time.... and booked on board for the Adventurer out of San Juan in Oct 09... I cant wait :D.... Does anyone know when the actual hurricane season is???

Officially it is every year between June 1 and November 30.

But Mother Nature does strange things lately. ;)

June through Novemember.

We like to travel this time of year. You need to have a relaxed attitude as there may be itinerary changes, and even changes to the changes (we dodged Ike last year, so that was interesting).

I would also make sure you have a bit of spare time getting flights, we get to the port a few days early, but then again we are fling transatlantic, so a canceling flight means no flights that day, and possible difficulties the next day whoch sould reslt in a missed cruise. However, we also fly at the height of the hurricane season, (begining - middle of sept) so we take a quiet carefull approach to the planningm its a long way to travel and we won't let it go wrong :)

Highly considering a cruise at the end of August. I am a winter season cruiser so cruising during hurricane season is new to me....

Anything I should know? :rolleyes:

No, there really isn't anything to know except you go with the flow.

My first cruise in 1989 was in Hurricane Hugo on a 17,000 ton ship.

We got back on her again 8 months late and after 27 cruises, that was our only hurricane we have hit.

We have sailed many a cruise in hurricane seasons.

I do go down 2 days early in hurricane season. ;)

Like Sue L said,

As long as you can live with any and all itinerary changes you will be fine.

Last year Hurricane Ike gave us a really bad scare, but it is my favorite time to cruise anyway. Cheaper fares and good weather if you can dodge the canes. Our Mariner cruise Sept. 14th, we were seriously afraid our flight would be cancelled so we scurried to the airport a couple days early and finally managed to get our flight changed to depart for Cape Canaveral early on Friday instead of on Sunday(Not easily done!). Continental cancelled most flights into/out of San Antonio airport because Ike was due to come inland. We detoured to Atlanta and watched as he came ashore Saturday morning in Galveston, but turned east and missed San Antonio completely. But we were already on our way to Florida. That's the closest we've come to disaster during Hurricane season, but it was close. However, I love sailing in September or August. We have had much worse weather in January. Just keep your fingers crossed, the other cruises we've taken in Sept. have threaded the needle so to speak between some big storms. So far so good.:D

We did the eastern Caribbean Sept 2005 during that crazy hurricane season (the year with Katrina) and were lucky to squeeze in our cruise in between storms and didn't have our itinerary altered. The only thing we noticed was that the first night at sea was fairly choppy. They had to reschedule one of the acts that was supposed to perform that night and the wife got a tad seasick. All good the rest of the cruise. Great prices during that time of year. Pretty hot tho.

We always cruise in August (except for once in October) --- The first year the power grid went down in the east ... We were lucky to fly into cinci on the first leg ... they had power -- Last year we went around them (eastern) and then had a difficult time getting back to Maine, ended up in Atlanta for an extra day (trip insurance didn't pay anything).

This year it is the AOS the 3rd week in August (Aruba route) ... join us!! I've read so many of your posts, I'm sure you'd have a great time. Jan

My thoughts on hurricane season: well, from June through August is hurricane season and some of the most expensive time to travel because kids are out of school! From September through November (excluding Thanksgiving), its the cheapest time to travel.

I am booked on a cruise August 2010 because its a networking cruise. If I could, I would have moved it to June, but that is just me. The last time I sailed during Hurricane season was 2005 and we had a tropical depression following the ship. My wife and I had a great time because we went into to the cruise with low expectations (I mean come on, it was one of the worse hurricane seasons in recent history).

As long as you can be flexible, you can get great deals (during the fall). Oh, and football must not be a big option for you either. That is the real deal killer for the fall cruises because we have season tickets.

We try to do it that time of year. Ussually get lucky, but been hit by one on the Norway years back, it was fun for us, we had pretty much free roam of the ship, everyone else was sick, lol. And that ship was built for heavy seas, but she was all over the place, pitching and rolling. Woke up the morning of the storm, and had two water spouts off the stern, got some great photos.

So save a bunch of money

Make sure you arrive a day early

Dont plan on going to the exact stops advertised, we have had them switched twice.

Cruise, Booze, Enjoy!!!

Hi, ck,

Prices are good at that time of year but you must remain flexible. If there is a weather problem the cruise companies will try to avoid the worst but you may have some rough seas. Then you might have to stay longer at a port or might have to miss a port. If you know that ahead of time, go for it. There are some good deals. But remember...............Mother Nature rules that time of year.

Ah,Robyn..come on....You really need to try to experience one of our good ole hurricanes at least once..lol...

We have sailed 6 years in a row in Hurricane season.A luxury that ended once DS hit first grade :(.

Our only real situation was with Ivan....and quite frankly...It was a little more dramatic than I expected it to be...Being we left Galveston,heading for Cozumel..we really did not have much choice...

Well,we did...But that would have included going to Vera Cruz Mexico,and Progresso...:eek:

We were suppossed to do KW,Grand Cayman and Cozumel...When we boarded Sunday,GC had already been crushed by Ivan..so we knew we were not going there,and was projected to hit Florida somewhere,so we knew we were not going to KW...But...at boarding they told us there were no changes (yeah,right) About 3...they told us of our change...Belize,Costa Maya, Coz....In order to accomplish this,we had to pass Ivan in the Mouth of the Yucatan.We passed him 150 miles from center (that is close FWIW) we went from flat seas to 40 ft waves in a matter of hours...and I will tell you it was a rough ride...

But.the Captain,crew and staff were great..they did a great job getting us to great ports,getting info on excursions,getting new compass out...And keeping things running....

Usually you do not come this close to a Hurricane,and those sailing from Florida have the luxury of going East or West,or even South..which ever is safest...

Remember,if you leave from the Upper east coast,and you are blocked off,ships often head toward the North,read Nova Scotia, etc..

Also,your port of departure could get ripped apart (read Galveston) while you are at Sea....But..if you are strictly flying,that would not hurt you that bad..other than having to try to arrange new flights.....

Its a crap shoot...Cruise can and do get ruined by Hurricanes....But...if you are lucky...It is some of the best weather you would ever want to have...You may have 7 sea days,you may end up at sea for extra days...

Get the insurance,and go for it..

We were on the Carnival Fantasy as Dean (I think) came through and wiped Costa Maya off the map. We ended up at Progresso instead. It was still a fun trip. I would rather be on a ship that can move vs. an island that doesn't. Also, I would make sure to purchase trip insurance.

Due to my schedule we have cruised almost exclusively in late July and August, and always in the Caribbean. We are coming up on our 18th cruise this August. If I have counted correctly, only 4 of those were done at other times - 2 in April, 2 in January. Honestly, we have never had to change course due to a hurricane. Yes, we have had Tropical Waves, and even a few Tropical Depressions during July and August. Many times the captain was able to steer the ship out of the showers and we stayed in the sun, but with with choppy seas. We did miss the private islands a few times due to the high seas. But, all in all, hurricane season would never keep me from sailing in the summer. If you go knowing that you may have to deal with a change in an island or two, or have an extra day at sea, then you will be fine. If you are set on only going to the listed ports, and a storm changes that, then you may be unhappy. In my mind, any cruise is a good cruise!!! Even those where the water comes out of the pools due to the high seas!! :eek::eek:

Archived