hydro pool

scamper01

Hydro pool is much larger - more like a regular pool. Includes sections to lay down & have jets 'massage' you, and a centre ring with jets of water.

The hydro pool comes with an additional charge, but on the ships we've been on that have it, we've always gotten the week pass. Personally, it's one of the most relaxing aspects of the cruise for me.

The Hydro pools on the Vista-class ships are all 'proper'. The ones on the other ships are retrofitted with a smaller hot-tub-like pool. I don't think I'd do the pass on those myself. Hopefully someone can offer advice on how they are on non-Vista ships.

This is the pool on the Zuiderdam. Very relaxing, especially at night!

Image-D402155650B311DB.jpg

The hydro pool comes with an additional charge, but on the ships we've been on that have it, we've always gotten the week pass. Personally, it's one of the most relaxing aspects of the cruise for me.

The Hydro pools on the Vista-class ships are all 'proper'. The ones on the other ships are retrofitted with a smaller hot-tub-like pool. I don't think I'd do the pass on those myself. Hopefully someone can offer advice on how they are on non-Vista ships.

do you have to buy the full spa pass or can you just buy a pass for the hydro pool? and what do you mean by the pools are 'proper'?

The passes on the Westerdam were for the thermal suite and hydro pool. I asked specifically if they ever sold passes just to the pool and was told no.

The thermal suite includes heated tile loungers, three steam rooms with different aromatherapy essential oils, and special showers. One of the best features of the hydro pool is the area with bars that support you like a lounge chair. You can lie back and relax there as the bubbles churn around you.

The passes on the Westerdam were for the thermal suite and hydro pool. I asked specifically if they ever sold passes just to the pool and was told no.

The thermal suite includes heated tile loungers, three steam rooms with different aromatherapy essential oils, and special showers. One of the best features of the hydro pool is the area with bars that support you like a lounge chair. You can lie back and relax there as the bubbles churn around you.

The hydro pool water is some kind of mineral water at body temperature and no chlorine.

The hydro pool water is some kind of mineral water at body temperature and no chlorine.

This is an important point, and bears repeating. The two hot tubs are different temperatures, but both are hot. The hydro pool is cooler, which is important if you have a cardiac condition.

It's also safer for pregnant women. There could be other medical conditions for which water temperature is a consideration.

yes the hydropool is maintained 98.6...body temp, so you don't need to worry about how long you stay... (I have stayed a very very very long time especially at the first of the trip when I am relieving work stress)...you do have to turn the on button on about every 15 minutes or so... I know they told us the water was different, can't remember maybe mineral water, however, it is so it doesn't dry out your skin... this and the thermal spa will be part of my plans on every cruise now... absolutely the best!!!! DB

It is my understanding that the hydropool contains sea water with minerals added. It is a sheer delight and I really enjoyed the thermal suite as well.

I would recommend that on embarkation day, one visits the Spa and let the ladies explain all that the Suite has to offer. I really did not appreciate all of the benefits until my recent voyage on the Noordam.

It is a shame that the S- and R- Class ships cannot have this feature incorporated into their design. Particularly for a long voyage, having a hydopool option would really be a selling advantage for HAL. IMHO, spending money on such a renovation would yield far better results than the new Lanai cabins and The Retreat on the S-Class ships and on the Rotterdam.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to add to this question....I looked on HAL's web site on the Zaandam and it shows a "thermal suite" but no hydro pool. :eek: Anyone know if there's anything like this on the Zaandam? I finally bought a bathing suit after 15 years of not wearing one (I lost some weight :D) and now no hydropool???? Say it ain't so!

Wanted to add to this question....I looked on HAL's web site on the Zaandam and it shows a "thermal suite" but no hydro pool. :eek: Anyone know if there's anything like this on the Zaandam? I finally bought a bathing suit after 15 years of not wearing one (I lost some weight :D) and now no hydropool???? Say it ain't so!

The hydro pool on the Zaandam will look like this

2s_spa_whirlpool4-356x461.jpg

It's just a glorified jacuzzi to me. However I always sign up for it anyway. The pool and then laying on the heated tile loungers with floor to ceiling windows. Yea that's livin.

Have Fun.

We just got off the non-Mexican Ryndam cruise and they have the smaller hydropool as in the photo posted above, two saunas and the heated loungers. My wife thought it was the best money spent, a day pass was $10, 8 days (it was closed the first two days due to Red Alert) was $150 for 2. Another benefit was that it is adults only so there were no screaming kids playing in the hot tub. It was very quiet in the thermal suite, many times we were the only people there.

• 1 month later...

I have rheumatoid arthritis and get relief from swimming in warm water so I am really interested in this. Can someone tell me the hours that the hydropool is open on the Zuiderdam? I think that it would really help my joints after I have spent a day walking in around the ports. I am sailing this Saturday. Thanks. Rose

I have rheumatoid arthritis and get relief from swimming in warm water so I am really interested in this. Can someone tell me the hours that the hydropool is open on the Zuiderdam? I think that it would really help my joints after I have spent a day walking in around the ports. I am sailing this Saturday. Thanks. Rose

You will love the hydro pool so much you won't want to come out of it. It should really help you. I think it's open till 10pm except the last night of the cruise.

Have fun

This sounds like fun!:D Like, remember how much fun it was to see your fingers all wrinkled up after swimming for a long time when you were a kid?

Well, sounds like it could happen here again!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Just a word to the wise. They shut the hydropool and thermal loungers down in the event of a code red. We were not able to purchase the week pass on our most recent cruise, as it was code red when we boarded. By the time it reopened we decided it was not worth it. I don't know how they would handle this if you purchased a week long pass and at some point during the week the ship went code red. Maybe someone has experienced that and can comment. Maybe you get a pro-rated refund.

Archived