hydro pool

scamper01

I've read so many great things about the hydrotherapy pool/thermal spa, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

We have a 15 day cruise on the Zuiderdam coming up, and they've quoted me $299 for 1 person (much higher than the $150 for 10 days someone else was quoted). We only have 5 days at sea, so I'm not sure when else I'll be able to use it!

For you CCers who have bought the pass, do you find that you've used it on port days? Also, if I buy a one-day pass to try it out, do you know if they would let me apply the $40 to the 15 day pass if I decide I like it?

Thanks all!

One thing to keep in mind - the mineral water in the hydrotherapy pool may cause the color of your bathing suit to fade. You may want to bring along an older suit to wear, or at least one you don't care about too much!

I love the hydrotherapy pool and spa package that comes with the one week pass. I used it on port days and on sea days almost equally. Some sea days found me making use of the facilities twice. My dream is to use the ceramic loungers while watching glaciers and icebergs in Alaska. Sounds like heaven to me.

For you CCers who have bought the pass, do you find that you've used it on port days?

When dragging my sorry self back from a shore excursion in late afternoon I found it more than convenient and relaxing to head to ther Lido for a quick little snack, then off to the hydrotherapy pool to soothe my muscles.

I have never used the spa but we will be on a TA next year with 8 days at sea and that might be nice.

Can someone tell me what the approximate air temperature is in the spa. Also, is it very humid?

I know children are not allowed but does it tend to be quiet in there?

I thought the pool and ceramic loungers areas were a tad humid, but not unbearably so. I hate humidity, and being in a humid area taxes my heart; this wasn't bad at all.

The pool temperature is supposed to be body temperature, so it really shouldn't feel hot. It is enclosed, though, so some humidity is natural. When you get on the loungers you feel the warmth. If you just came from the pool, you will generate some humidity.

It's supposed to be quiet. Once in a while you'll get someone who doesn't know enough to be quiet, but that's seldom. In the loungers area there is some new age-type music playing softly, and a water trickling.

After hearing so many good things about the hydro pool and thermal suite, I trien it in Dec. on Oosterdam. I got the weekly pass for $150 and used it everyday, sometimes twice. It was so nice to come back from a shore ex and relax before dinner.

In Sept. on Westerdam, I hope Mom (86) and I will be able to use it together. The stairs will be easy for her to use to get in and out of the pool. Getting on and off the loungers might be difficult for her. The thermal suite loungers should be very soothing for her back.

I highly recommend using it.

One thing to keep in mind - the mineral water in the hydrotherapy pool may cause the color of your bathing suit to fade. You may want to bring along an older suit to wear, or at least one you don't care about too much!

Yes it does. This happened within two days to a brand new pair of trunks my hubby bought from the shop. We used the pool every day on our two week cruise and I had to toss my suit. I would take two inexpensive women's suits because you will find all of the fibers "for holding in your parts" will stretch.

I did not loose weight on this cruise :p but my suit was very baggy in places!

t-pool-results.jpg

Just a word to the wise. They shut the hydropool and thermal loungers down in the event of a code red. We were not able to purchase the week pass on our most recent cruise, as it was code red when we boarded. By the time it reopened we decided it was not worth it. I don't know how they would handle this if you purchased a week long pass and at some point during the week the ship went code red. Maybe someone has experienced that and can comment. Maybe you get a pro-rated refund.

I don't know about code red, but the last time we were on Westerdam we came back to the ship early from HMC specifically to use the hydropool and found it to be closed (apparently a mechanical problem). We had a weeklong pass and were issued a credit for that day since we were not able to use it. I do not know if they automatically issue something like that to everyone who has a weeklong pass or only if you raise a stink about it (because believe me, we did raise a little stink since we cut our time short on HMC specifically to use the hydropool one more time).

Someone mentioned there was no chlorine. No way! There must be chlorine or chlorine created indirectly through a salt water osmosis system. That method tends not to smell like chlorine but the effect will be the same on swimsuits and chemically treated hair. If there is no chlorine at all then it would not be a very hygenic environment to be soaking in!

• 3 months later...
Can payment for the thermal suite/hydro pool be done prior to embarkation? I read through the thread and didn't find that information. Thanks

Yes, at least for the full week pass, I'm not sure about the day pass, i think they have to be done on board.

Call HAL Ship Services to order the "Thermal Suite Package". For our 7 night cruise on the Eurodam it was $250.00 for the two of us.

This is an important point, and bears repeating. The two hot tubs are different temperatures, but both are hot. The hydro pool is cooler, which is important if you have a cardiac condition.

It's also safer for pregnant women. There could be other medical conditions for which water temperature is a consideration.

Good point. Hubby takes blood pressure meds and shouldn't be in really hot water. We have to keep our hot tub at a not-real-hot temperature.

Something I hadn't thought about! I added this to my "vacation clothing list." Thanks! :)

A Code Red for the norovirus closed the hydropool and thermal spa area the last two days of our cruise. On the ship, we got a credit--but the spa folks figured it wrong. I had to write to HAL to get a slightly larger credit.

What HAL would not take into consideration was that the two days the hydropool and thermal spa area were closed were sea days. They took the purchase price and divided by seven to come up with the per diem we would be reimbursed. The other thing they would not consider was that the first day really should not be counted because the pool and thermal spa area were not available until late. Plus the fact that the areas were actually closed early the night the Code Red was declared.

So we paid to use the areas for the full week, only really got to use them three and a half days, and were reimbursed for two days' worth.

In retrospect, we enjoyed the areas a lot but don't think we got our money's worth from HAL.

Archived