Passports needed (yes or no)

MetathoraX

Good Morning!

First and foremost I have my passports and understand that the cruises say they are preferred. We are going on a cruise in October with several friends, leaving from Tampa and returning to Tampa. So, from what I read on Carnival and the US department of State websites I would assume that all you need on this sailing would be a birth certificate. Is this correct?

Thanks in Advance

Kevin

As of right now if you are leaving from a port in the U.S. and returning to the same port you don't need a passport. Just remember if something were to happen while at the foreign port there may be difficulties getting home.

Depends. What ports are you visiting? For the most part, you are correct.

If Belize or Roatan are involved,,, unclear yet but looking like passports will be required if stopping at those ports.

Belize and Roatan are not included in WHTI

NO and your Carnival agent should be able to tell you, dont trust your TA though, go directly to Carnival, but then again, the first time I asked a Carnival agent said yes, but the answer turned out to be NO, as of now, close looped cruises from U.Ss, you do NOT need them.

Passports are for travel, if you have them why wouldn't you take them?

The cruise itself may not require them but where you are traveling to may.. and like another poster stated, what if you needed to leave?

Take them.. for peace of mind.. that is what they for ;):)

Good Morning!

First and foremost I have my passports and understand that the cruises say they are preferred. We are going on a cruise in October with several friends, leaving from Tampa and returning to Tampa. So, from what I read on Carnival and the US department of State websites I would assume that all you need on this sailing would be a birth certificate. Is this correct?

Thanks in Advance

Kevin

You need Birth Certificate and Government issued photo ID.

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=1b3b8704cb15892f6bb910875d1bad17;rgn=div2;view=text;node=20080403%3A1.24;idno=22;cc=ecfr;start=1;size=25

Depends. What ports are you visiting? For the most part, you are correct.

If Belize or Roatan are involved,,, unclear yet but looking like passports will be required if stopping at those ports.

Belize and Roatan are not included in WHTI

Huh? I have heard nothing about that.... I was just in Belize and Roatan a couple of months ago and am planning to return in Jan. I have a passport but my girlfriend doesn't and it would be nice if we knew for sure.

...at least I think that is what this means:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.

CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship. See the Department of Homeland Security's GetYouHome.gov for more information on the changing travel requirements.

You thought wrong. As for Belize, Honduras, and Panama there was a recently added change around Dec. 2007(I believe that is the right date) that change it to contigious countries and adjaecnt islands. The 3 above listed countries in questions are apparently not covered by the newest addition to the new WHTI rules. If the link is not provided by the time I get home from work i will give you the link.

FYI CherlyandTK(sp?) asked the DHS and I believe her response from DHS was that they ARE required for the above listed countries. Another poster(dont remeber name) has submitted another question about the newest change to another person at DHS. To be safe about those countries I would call DHS yourself and ask or get a PP just in case.

NO and your Carnival agent should be able to tell you, dont trust your TA though, go directly to Carnival, but then again, the first time I asked a Carnival agent said yes, but the answer turned out to be NO, as of now, close looped cruises from U.Ss, you do NOT need them.

Do not trust Carnival either. It is not their job to stay on top of passport requirements. In fact they specifically say that it is the passengers responsibility to make sure they have the correct documents.

Check with CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) for the most correct information.

This is not accurate. There are exceptions for citizens on closed loop cruises that visit certain ports.

Do not trust Carnival either. It is not their job to stay on top of passport requirements. In fact they specifically say that it is the passengers responsibility to make sure they have the correct documents.

Check with CBP (Customs and Border Patrol) for the most correct information.

Or just get a passport and not worry about any of this. :D

Passports are for travel, if you have them why wouldn't you take them?

The cruise itself may not require them but where you are traveling to may.. and like another poster stated, what if you needed to leave?

Take them.. for peace of mind.. that is what they for ;):)

Not sre but I think he was asking about this because his friends don't all have passports.:)

Bill

Good Morning!

Thanks in Advance

Kevin

You are correct...the cruiselines "recommend" passports no matter where you cruise. However......

FACT..

Because this is a "closed loop cruise" (starting and ending in a US port) you are correct that all you and your friends need after June 1 is the certified birth certificate and pictured id (drivers license) proving address and date of birth.

However... know that if by rare chance, they would have to fly home from one of the ports for an emergency at home or medical reasons, they would find it impossible without the passport.

OPINION....

If they enjoy the cruise and intend on traveling out of the country again in the future, save up and buy a passport and they'll be set for any trip for the next ten years. :) Cost for an adult (16+) passport is $100 plus cost of pictures. In a short time, I think as in other countries, we all will be required to have them to cross borders by land, sea and air.

You are correct...the cruiselines "recommend" passports no matter where you cruise. However......

FACT..

However... know that if by rare chance, they would have to fly home from one of the ports for an emergency at home or medical reasons, they would find it impossible without the passport.

Not impossible, but difficult, and not exactly correct. Special permission needs to be obtained by customs and border patrol before the airlines will allow you to board (not the simplist of issues to deal with.) Also if the flight is via another country their rules will come into play. If you need to get back to the states don't count on this being a speedy process. After June 1st a passport is required to re-enter the USA via all other methods (other than the ship and the cruise on which you left the USA) air, car or 1-way ferry included. Even if you were to miss your ship and re-board another Carnival ship (or even the same ship when it comes back round the next week) you will have broken the "closed loop" provision and technically they shouldn't let you board. If you miss your departure it's unlikely you'll be able to fly and catch up with the ship as this would require permission from both CBP and the authorities of the country you are flying to. Finally this will likely void your travel insurance with the exception of trip cancellation.

Or just get a passport and not worry about any of this. :D

I have to agree, that is step one, and usually the only one needed in the Caribbean, but if you cruise elsewhere it is still your responsibility to get any needed Visas.

Good Morning!

Thanks in Advance

Kevin

Cruise Ship Visitors - Is A Passport Required?

Honduran law requires Americans entering Honduras to have passports. As of Feb 08, however, Honduras is waiving passport requirements for Americans for cruise ship passengers unless the passenger's trip originates or ends in Honduras.

http://www.travel-roatan.com/immigration.htm

Passport/Visa Note: All visitors to Belize (except cruise ship passengers) must produce a passport valid for at least the period of their intended stay. All visitors should also have return tickets and documents for onward travel, and funds amounting to US$50 per person per day

http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Belize/Visa

http://www.belize.com/caribbean-cruise.html

I hope that answers your questions:)

Just make it easy on yourself and get a passport.

The rules about not needing them in the future could change.

In fact they will change.

Get the passport.

Sooner or later you'll need it, even if you may not want it.

You're a big grown-up international traveller these days.

Get the passport.Things are changing -and never for the easier! ;)

It amazes me as many times as this comes up still, generally speaking, there is only ONE maaaaaaaaaaybe two who just answer the op's original question.

Yeah, what can you do! But people ask this question like there's a simple yes or no answer but the reality is I'd be hard pressed to leave it at that, I'd feel like I was misleading the OP.

So the answer is yes but for heaven's sake don't take the risk! A passport is just the price of travel outside the country. Just because there's a loop-hole (and that's what it is) for "closed circuit cruises" doesn't mean it won't come back to bite you. Chances are if you suddenly need the passport it's going to be when something really bad is happening and who wants the added stress and possible delay when you least need it?

Cruise Ship Visitors - Is A Passport Required?

Honduran law requires Americans entering Honduras to have passports. As of Feb 08, however, Honduras is waiving passport requirements for Americans for cruise ship passengers unless the passenger's trip originates or ends in Honduras.

http://www.travel-roatan.com/immigration.htm

Passport/Visa Note: All visitors to Belize (except cruise ship passengers) must produce a passport valid for at least the period of their intended stay. All visitors should also have return tickets and documents for onward travel, and funds amounting to US$50 per person per day

http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Belize/Visa

http://www.belize.com/caribbean-cruise.html

I hope that answers your questions:)

You are 100% correct for entering those countries. The Possible PP requirements under the New WHTI rules apply to US citizens trying to re-enter the US after visiting one of those ports. That is what is in question.

Archived