Baggage fees-when do you pay them?

kiwiwoman

We are booked on Air Canada for three legs from TN to Vancouver. The first two are operated by United and the last is Air Canada. Where do we pay the baggage fee and will it be a charge per leg or just one time? Thanks!

We are booked on Air Canada for three legs from TN to Vancouver. The first two are operated by United and the last is Air Canada. Where do we pay the baggage fee and will it be a charge per leg or just one time? Thanks!

I believe you pay when you check in for the first flight each way ... and I understand the fees apply per way and not per leg.

recently flew NC to California to Nevada to NC. It boiled down to: if I handed them my luggage, I paid. When they moved luggage from plane to plane, I didn't pay. Regardless of the number of layovers between point A and point B it was covered. This was on US Airways and was $15 for my one suitcase = total of $45.00. They would accept cash or credit card, but I don't know what else.

Had I just flown NC to Calif and back, it would have only been $30.

Tennessee to Vancouver should be considered an international flight so there should not be any fees if the entire flight is on one ticket, as in check in from Tennessee and the bags are checked all the way to Vancouver. Most of the baggage fees are for domestic flights only. If you are on multiple tickets, check you bags at one place, re-check them again later, then you may have fees and they would be each way and you would pay them when you check the bags on the domestic legs.

Tennessee to Vancouver should be considered an international flight so there should not be any fees if the entire flight is on one ticket, as in check in from Tennessee and the bags are checked all the way to Vancouver. Most of the baggage fees are for domestic flights only. If you are on multiple tickets, check you bags at one place, re-check them again later, then you may have fees and they would be each way and you would pay them when you check the bags on the domestic legs.

Canada is NOT considered an international flight in USA based airline parlance.

United policy

Below is the checked baggage policy for United Economy® travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

AA's policy

Flights within the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada

I could go on and on, but you get the point. Canada is NOT an international destination-no FREE checked luggage on MOST airlines.

I think we need to clarify Greatam's distinction.

As far as the governments are concerned, the USA and Canada are "international" in terms of traveling from one to the other. Thus, you have all of the immigration and customs procedures that are a part of crossing an international border.

As far as the airlines are concerned, many destinations outside of the USA are considered "domestic" in terms of their policies and procedures. And each airline is different in the specific countries and what policies they reference. So the only certainty is to see what your carrier uses for its own internal definition.

Confusing, yes....logical....no. Keep in mind the two different "worlds" and you can get a handle on it.

I have no direct knowledge of the UA baggage fee system. That said, some airlines allow you to pay in advance when you do OLCI - to cut down on lines at the bag drop. Other airlines will take a credit card at the kiosk check-in. Do a read on the UA website and I bet you'll find the details for their system.

Thanks for all the information! Where do you actually pay for the baggage fees-when you check in at the ticket counter?

UA will allow you to pay in advance at OLCI, or you pay when you check in at the ticket counter. I advise you to pay in advance and do OLCI, as it will save you some time if the airport is crowded.

A few points.

OLCI. OLCI refers to on line check in system.

Question for others. Since the OP has booked this through Air Canada (even though two of the flights are operated by UA) won't the rules be governed by Air Canada?

Keith

A few points.

OLCI. OLCI refers to on line check in system.

Question for others. Since the OP has booked this through Air Canada (even though two of the flights are operated by UA) won't the rules be governed by Air Canada?

Keith

Thanks for asking this, I wondered too!

Archived