Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

A friend just returned from an organised tour of Italy. When in Rome, they traveled by train and public transportation. They said it was easy and never felt threatened in any way. They even loved Naples and said that throughout Italy the Italians were friendly and polite. This is not to say that one mustn't be careful but it proves part of what Spygirl13 has posted.

A friend just returned from an organised tour of Italy. When in Rome, they traveled by train and public transportation. They said it was easy and never felt threatened in any way. They even loved Naples and said that throughout Italy the Italians were friendly and polite. This is not to say that one mustn't be careful but it proves part of what Spygirl13 has posted.

Yes, I think some people are missing the point here: probably 90% of people will have no problems whatsoever with pickpockets. But in order to make yourself a less attractive target AND to minimize your losses if you should happen to be one of the unfortunate 10% (probably less, I am just generalizing here), it is best to take the precautions listed in this thread so that you don't have to worry about the possibilities all day long and you can enjoy the day.

Really, that's all we are saying!! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered a PacSafe Purse (Slingsafe 100) - find it to be the perfect size for out and about in ports and like the slashproof elements of a crossbody bag. I like that you can unclip the strap and anchor it thru a chair slat and reattach it and put the purse next to you in the chair. Found a cheapo velcro trifold with a small metal ring attached to it and took both to hardware store. Had a long length of a thin chain cut and bought one of the connectors with both open ends that the chain can snap down into (like many luggage tags). The chain is small enough to run thru the clip on the side so my wallet will be chained inside my purse. Chain is long enough so I can pull it out of the wallet without unfastening it to remove money. Also have a waist pouch.

Think using motel/cruise safes for majority of money, putting a day's worth $ needed in port and the majority in the pouch, and just enough in the purse for drinks, water, etc. spreads the money around enough places to never lose all at once. The thought of having to cancel credit cards, etc is daunting. I have been to NY plenty of times and am from the Washington DC area so know about being mindful of those around you at all times but don't think it ever hurts to be extra careful.

Nothing puts you on guard and incites paranoia like having it happen to you personally. Everyone who says, "gee, I went to Europe and nothing happened to me, what are you guys so worried about?" needs to consider themselves lucky. After having a $1000 camera hoisted from our backpack on the first day of a 10 day Costa Rica trip, we are now officially "paranoid". If it hasn't happened to you, you don't know the feeling of violation that you experience after a theft. So yes, we DO take extra precautions and we are very alert when in crowded areas. A certain amount of care-taking is a good thing, and please don't pooh-pooh those of us who recommend taking those few extra steps and ensuring a trouble-free vacation.

Cathy

I bought a money belt. The kind that has 2 pockets and is worn under your shirt or sweater. For our port excursions, we will bring along a backpack but only for items such as an extra sweater, water bottles and an umbrella. I figure better be safe than sorry.

My wallet was lifted from my (zipped) purse in Barcelona, completely without my knowledge. Never realized it was gone until I got to the Picasso museum and couldn't find it. I generally carry the purse with my arm across it at all times. The only time during the day when I didn't do that (had a gelato cone in my hand for about 10 minutes), the wallet was swiped.

Since then, I wear one of the "dreadful" pouches.

Just be aware that some of these pickpockets are very VERY good.

Same thing happened to me in Paris. They lifted the entire wallet from a zipped bag. The only time this could have happened was when I was walking and had one hand full of food. Money Belt!

I might add from the european point of view, that this never happend to me or anyone I know. There some simple rules: Keep away from everyone who wants to give/sell you flowers or wants to read your hand ( cheiromancer) , never get/ open your wallet if you are asked for change.

On the Gem recently there was a talk by a seasoned traveller on pickpockets. A lot of it I'd heard before, but her solution for carrying her valuables (such as passports, cards etc) when on way to hotels etc was excellent. She uses one of those flimsy neck wallet things, but rather than putting it round her neck loops it over the center of her bra then puts her bra on and tucks it into the top of her trousers. It was impossible to see and pretty much impossible to steal. Its also a solution to a problem that need only cost a couple of euros/dollars/pounds.

Rick Steves made me do it!

Rick says the only people who ride that bus are tourists and pickpockets.

DH was nearly pickpocketed on the #1 bus in Naples from the train station heading back to the ship. He and I were getting on the bus and he said a man stepped in between us and started leaning against DH pushing him back and away from me. He felt a hand go into a buttoned pocket on his cargo shorts (pocket down on his leg) and tried to grab it. The guy had our camera half way our of DH's pocket. Thankfully DH grabbed the camera and the hand disappeared.

The bus was so packed, DH couldn't tell who did it and didn't want to start yelling accusations. At the next stop three guys sprinted off the bus so we figure it was them.

ETA: Dh had scoffed at me for wanting to use a money belt, but afterwards, he wore the one that attaches to your belt and hangs inside your pants. Once he finally tried it he said he couldn't even feel it....and we weren't nearly as stressed about getting pickpocketed with it. Peace of mind!

Same thing happened to me in Paris. They lifted the entire wallet from a zipped bag. The only time this could have happened was when I was walking and had one hand full of food. Money Belt!

I used a twisty tie between the eyelets of the zippers to keep them from being easily opened on my previous backpack. A safety pin works just as well.

The new bag I use from Pacsafe has a clip that you attach to the zippers that keep them from being opened easily.

http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=64

Whatever option you decide, do something to keep prying hands from unzipping your bag.

Joe

My primary concern is having our credit card stolen as we have only that one. I found out about Visa travel money on another thread. It's essentially a debit card where you can place a limited amount of money on it so that it doesn't continue to draw from the bank. It can be used in Visa Plus ATMs and can be used as a credit card. That way you have a credit card available for purchases but if it gets lost, you have your original credit card (safely tucked away in the safe on the ship) for backup. I'm sure that you can get a replacement for the Visa travel money but do you really want to spend your precious little time in port hunting down the Visa office? Of course, I would continue to guard the travel money like a hawk in any city in the world. I grew up in Chicago and saw plenty of pickpockets, purse snatchings, muggings, etc. Don't get distracted. Just have fun but be observant.

I just returned from Rome on Monday from a cruise that primarily visited Italian ports. Although we witnessed no incidents, the peace of mind that I had wearing my bra stash (new this year after I decided that I did not like the sweat around my waist from my money belt during summer travel) and my husband had wearing his money belt were priceless to us.

BTW, I really recommend the bra stash, which I purchased at my local AAA office for $5. I never felt its presence, and it was perfect for my cards and cash.

We have travelled for years visiting all major cities in Europe. Have seen pickpockets in most cities. So far, we have not been ripped off.

We take the precautions mentioned above.

When we suspect a pickpocket, we let them go first, so they are in front of us.

We avoid crowds. We don't take fancy cameras. We stay alert.

We avoid dark and isolated streets.

Think like you would in any major American city and you will be fine. :)

Don't be afraid! I felt like you did before I left on my cruise after reading some of these postings! Just be aware like you would be in any big city..believe me it is not that bad! We only carried the euros we would need for the day and my DH had that in his front pocket. I had a small purse that I had draped over my shoulder with nothing much in it but NO ONE tried to steal it at any port we went to. We were off on our own and walking on back streets and NEVER had a problem! :D

I registered on this site just to respond to your post. I returned yesterday from traveling in Spain and Portugal, places I've been to many times before and previously had no problems with pickpockets (although fellow travelers did and lost not only money, but smaller seemingly inconsequential items as well). This time around, however, I was almost pick-pocketed twice in a span of a few hours despite my diligence. They will steal almost anything and you will not be able to distinguish pick-pockets from the seemingly innocent and curious elderly woman sitting next to you on the metro or the school-age child in league with his parents dropping something in front of you to distract you. I am an experienced traveler and have never seen it this bad. I spoke to some locals about it and they say that it's becoming a more severe problem and that the criminals are becoming bolder, committing these crimes in increased numbers, with more cunning, and escalated violence. You were lucky this time.

Found a cheapo velcro trifold with a small metal ring attached to it and took both to hardware store. Had a long length of a thin chain cut and bought one of the connectors with both open ends that the chain can snap down into (like many luggage tags). The chain is small enough to run thru the clip on the side so my wallet will be chained inside my purse. Chain is long enough so I can pull it out of the wallet without unfastening it to remove money. Also have a waist pouch.

But how did you chain/attach the wallet to the inside of your purse? What was the attachment point? I don't understand the "connector with both open ends that the chain can snap down into (like many luggage tags)" I must be missing something here.

Thanks

Just back from Italy curise and a lot of people from the ship were pickpocketd in Naples. Two of the people that were robbed kept their cash and wallet in the front lower pocket of their shorts. The crooks are really smooth. My wife son and I ventured out for lunch into the city in a cab and had no problems. Naples out of all the places we visited on our cruise made us feel the most uncomfortable about getting robbed or pickpocketed but we did have a great Pizza at a 85 year old Pizza shop in the heart of the city. The best pizza on the cruise. I would stay with a tour rather than venture out on my own in Naples if I returned.

Tom and Mary Las Vegas

One of our friends had her wallet stolen in Dubrovik. Another gentleman almost got his stolen in Pisa. He told me that an old lady with a baby (couldn't even tell if there really was one) approached him, and using the baby to bump his right arm up trying to get him to hold the baby. He was very annoyed and shook his arm down and saw the old lady's little girl was taking money out of his shorts front pocket. He thought he was very lucky that he spotted the girl before she took his money.

So, do be careful!

I use the "family jewels" money belt that hangs down from the belt in the front and right near the "family jewels" -- never had a problem (figured I would feel it if someone tried to grab down there)...and even a hand in the pocket doesnt work--the money belt is right up againsts the underwear. For men, this works fine (prob not ideal for women)

I am bringing a broken digital camera that I am going to fill with pepper and see if someone steals it.

I feel so fortunate to have found this site, and to have gained such valuable experience before our cruises, and thank everyone in advance who contributes to making this such a special place.

Regarding this thread, I wish to share the "one" negative thing that happened while on our recent vacation, a 12 Night Mediterranean Cruise.

Even after reading on this site about the pickpockets on Athens Metros (but let me not show bias, because this could be a story about any Metro in the world), I still was not fully prepared for what I let happen.

Our Cruise took us to Athens....we then hired a private taxi to take us to the Acropolis. Then we walked down to the Agora, and then over to the Platka area. The Metro stop was right there......I knew how to do this, this would be so easy. Besides, our taxi driver on the earlier trip, told us that getting back by taxi could be difficult because of rush hour, so a quick/cheap metro trip back seemed to be the way to go.

One caution....I had seen previous trains on the track, with what looked to be jammed pack passengers, with fully loaded trains.

Went to the Metro stop and train platform but then got confused at the last second, as we boarded a very crowded, standing room only train. I then actually didn't know if we were heading in the right direction, and my wife and I jumped back onto the platform. No one seemed to speak english. Finally, someone motioned to me that we were on the right train back to Port, and so we get back on, but still it is so crowded and the only place for us is to stand near the doors.

The push of the crowd separated my wife and myself. I could see her about 7 feet away, but could not get near her.

My big mistake........had way too much stuff to keep track of......and even gave my wife my water bottle to hold in one of her hands while she held her own water bottle and sun umbrella in the other. Her purse was around her neck and in the front near her waist. I had the video camera, tripod, back packs etc. At least I was able to position myself against a pole, and had backed myself into an area which only women were sitting in. And, having already read about this stuff happening, my money, id, etc. was in money belt, in a place one would only hope, no pickpocket'ter would ever dare to go.

We now know that each of us was standing right next to two of the pickpocket'ters on this particular train. I felt so uncomfortable in this situation and was starring down each person close to me, fearful that something might happen.

At last second, before the doors shut, one of the pickpocket'ers makes a sign like "hey, its too hot/crowded in here" and both jump off the train right before the doors close.

My wife then looks down and realizes her purse has been opened. Understandably, she is quite shaken. Some very kind local women, offer my wife one of their seats, while one of them then stands up. "Bless you women of Athens, for your act of kindness towards my wife."

Fortunately, for us, the pickpocket'ters did not get her wallet, which my wife now admits she was keeping way too many credit cards, personal id, work id, etc. She won't be doing this again. But for this time, her wallet is simply too fat, and it is a struggle to get out of her purse. I later tried to get the wallet out myself, but could not easily get it out.

Thank goodness, we avoided being victims of a non-violent crime!

We get back to Port, and one story after another, we hear of people not so lucky, who in coming back on the Metro, lost their wallets, purses, and fanny packs. There were many on our Cruise this happened to, and for some it ruins what would otherwise be, and wonderful vacation.

So Beware Cruisers!!!! They see us coming....we are easy targets!

Follow the advice of so many others here, and go light.........no purses, fanny packs etc. Wear money belts only. Don't get caught on a train where you have to stand up.....spend a few extra dollars and take a taxi, its not worth the trauma to save a buck on mass transit.

You will still have a wonderful time whereever you go in the world, just be prepared, these pickpocket'ters are taught their craft at a very young age....and they are professionals! This is their job....and they do it well. The pay is great, and the hours flexible....but what a trap they are in.

P.S. Again, we count ourselves as very fortunate, as this was the only negative thing that ever happened on our entire Cruise, and land portion of our trip ( a total of 17 days). The trip was absolutely incredible, and now we have a lifetime of wonderful memories, and will be more prepared for mass transit.....should we choose to go that route, next time!

Okay, I live in NYC (Manhattan) and I work near Times Square (very touristy area). I ride the subway every single day during rush hour (very crowded). I go to lunch in very crowded areas. I carry a regular handbag and often times, I leave it unzipped, leaving it wide open, exposing my big fat wallet, and I've never had anyone trying to pickpocket me. I put my purse/bag on the floor or hang on the back of the chair when I'm at a restaurant. I guess I'm surprised to see that NYC is known for pickpocketing. Maybe because I don't look like a tourist, they don't bother me? Or maybe I've been lucky all this time (I've been living in NYC for 8 years)? Regardless, I should be more careful!!!

I have always heard that pickpocketing is really bad in Europe but I had no idea it was this bad (as I've been reading on this thread). Now I'm nervous and I will be extra careful! I wish I had known about pacsafe bags earlier! Those bags seem pretty secure compared to my Lesportsac bag! We're leaving for Rome tonight! Maybe they sell something similar at the airport?

But how did you chain/attach the wallet to the inside of your purse? What was the attachment point? I don't understand the "connector with both open ends that the chain can snap down into (like many luggage tags)" I must be missing something here.

It can be fastened about 2 or 3 different places - one is below the triangular area where the present anchor clip is but that would mean it would be far down inside the outer pocket which may cause a problem but you can certainly hear the velcro on that pocket in order to open it to reach down inside and it's still chained in there. You can attach it to a zipper deep inside the purse. The hole in the zipper is large enough to do this. Think the small bead chains that are connected with tiny bits of wire linked in between them. They have a small (about 1/4 " long) connector with a slit in each end that you can snap the links between the beads down into the connector on either side. Many luggage tags have this, key chains have it, nail clippers dangle from them, etc. You can actually do this to any purse you have if there is anything metal to attach it to inside large enough for the chain to pass down thru. Realzing thieves know all the tricks and maybe this is only mental comfort, but I'd guess if I watched someone pull a wallet out of their purse and it was on a chain, I've be looking to find some other much easier target. You don't need a PacSafe purse to do this - I just happen to like the other safety measures and I don't have a problem wearing mine crossbody when I am in a place I know I need to be much more observant.

I have always heard that pickpocketing is really bad in Europe but I had no idea it was this bad (as I've been reading on this thread). Now I'm nervous and I will be extra careful!

Don't be afraid! It is NOT that bad !

The title of this thread should by now better be something like "HORROR STORIES TO SCARE TOURISTS".

I am sorry for everybody who got pickpocketed yet on the other side there are the experiences of millions of other people who had no problems. No, not only no problems but a wonderful time.

Everybody who sees this thread should read it with more than a grain of salt. Take all of the good advice you regard as valuable but do not believe in the overall painted black picture of a continent full of thieves constantly waiting to rob you.

This thread just became the collecting pool for serious bad accidents, for stupid stereotypes and all kinds of negativ voices.

Okay, I live in NYC (Manhattan) and I work near Times Square (very touristy area).

Don't let anybody dimish your enjoyment of your life - in New York, Rome, Paris or where ever you might go.

Pay special attention to the young 6 - 8 year old kids in the Las Ramblas area in Barcelona. Very crowded there and when a a group of street musicians performs, the little kids "pretend" to want to get up close to see them. WRONG! They are trying to pick your pocket. I had my $$, credit card and passport in a money belt under my capris. Husband had a little cash in front pocket secured with a safety pin. I didn't even carry a purse in that area that evening. I did see these children "work" the crowd. For other ports, we didn't carry much ashore other than what was absolutely necessary.

Archived