Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

I carry a camera when we travel. I had just bought a brand new Sony camcorder and used it at a few ports including when we arrived in Barcelona. It has a nice tight strap that fits around the back of my right hand. But this limits what I can do with that hand, right?

We are ready to board the HOHO bus after visiting one of the attractions, but I had to reach into my right pant-pocket for the ticket. So I switched the camera to my left hand.

That is when a young guy, who obviously had been waiting for someone like me and knew what he wanted, grabbed the camera and yanked it right out of my hand. It happened quickly, but I reacted also quickly, people yelled and I chased him. He dashed into a street that led uphill and I followed to no avail. He was young and a lot faster. So, after three blocks, I lost him and my camera.

So, don't just think about your wallet. Think about your purse, camera and anything else that is an easy grab for those young punks.

Something to think about for your camera is this steel camera cable I bought (says Canon on it). It is a steel cable inside a clear plastic coating, long enough to attach to your purse via a slip knot or to a belt loop and the camera still is easy to use. It is about 20" long. I got it several years ago but I imagine you could find one if you google searched for it. I also have a camera bag that goes around your waist or through the belt loops that has a steel cable running through it with slash proof bottom and the ability to lock the zippers. It works great for the holding the camcorder, wallet, etc. The brand name on that was Daybreakers. (yes it looks like a fanny pack!) :-)

Those kids were obviously gypsies. I think there has been a crack down lately and there are lots of policemen about in the prime tourist sites.

There were also cases when someone asks if you want them to take a photo of you together and then runs off with your camera.

It's a trauma if it happens to you.

There were also cases when someone asks if you want them to take a photo of you together and then runs off with your camera.

Reminds me of the scene from "National Lampoon's European Vacation" where the guy runs off with their movie camera which contained explicit video of the wife that turned up later in an adult film.

Reading these posts reminds me of our trip to Paris several years ago. My daughter, who was around 13 , and I were in the Louvre and we got on an elevator when two young teenage boys ran to get on the elevator with us just as the doors were closing. Then they held the door open for a nicely dressed, silver haired gentleman to get on. As the doors were closing for a second time two American teenage boys ran to the elevator and shouted to be careful because the two on the elevator with us were pickpockets! I thought they were kidding because they were all of the same age thinking they were friends goofing around. But the two on the elevator were French and the one made his way behind me and started to unzip my small backpack but luckily my daughter saw him and went and stood next to him so he stopped. I had no idea what was going on and she was too scared to say anything until we got off the elevator and then she told me. Well these two brazen kids tried again as we got to a line at the crowded escalator as he tried to shove his way between me and my daughter but I was able to shove him back and managed to get clear of him. The best part? We then followed them and watched as they met up with the nicely dressed,, silver haired gentleman who was their boss, carrying a good sized camera bag to hold all the stolen wallets. I'll never wear a backpack again on trips, you are just asking for trouble! The next day at Sainte Chapelle we saw two young teenage boys steal a woman's camera out of her backpack. They are so skillful that you don't even realize it when it happens. But after our experience at the Louvre we were on the lookout...but the funny thing was that no one thought it odd that these two kids had on the darkest sunglasses in a church that is known mainly for its stained glass windows, that's what made me notice them! Just be very aware of your surroundings and who may be watching you. We watched as the three of them scanned the crowds in the Louvre picking out their next target! We have been to London and Ireland many times and never had a problem.

Crime is Spain in day and busy streets is almost marginal. No worry about, and of course in a lower rate compared to many US cities. Of course as a tourist you could be a prime target, but as any place in the world.

Just some precautions, and you won´t have any problem at all.

Oh yeh? That is far from the truth. Crime in Spain is horrible. Even with all my 'precautions' by having my wallet and other valuables in a 'safe' place, you would never think these young kids would grab a camera right out of my hand. This was not in a dark alley, but right where there were several other people around. I bet they would not hesitate to grab purses and other items if the circumstances are right for them.

As far as I am concerned this episode makes Barcelona just as bad or worse than New York City. All it takes is one time.

Well I think NYC is worse in the sense that the mugger would physically attack you and most probably hurt you if you went after them . I live in NY and these muggers can be very dangerous. From all accounts I've heard, the pickpockets normally won't injure you. They just want your "stuff', but don't want any major problems with the police, who IMO, mostly look the other way.

Gee, to the person who saw the kids with a bag full of wallets--did you report this to the police? Or in the Louvre?

Yes we reported it to the security guards and they just acted like they didn't understand English which I know they did. They understood up until the point that I said pickpockets and pointed to them across the hall. Also told security that they tried to take my wallet...I got a shrug. Couldn't help wondering if they get a cut of the takings each day.

Yes we reported it to the security guards and they just acted like they didn't understand English which I know they did. They understood up until the point that I said pickpockets and pointed to them across the hall. Also told security that they tried to take my wallet...I got a shrug. Couldn't help wondering if they get a cut of the takings each day.

I don't think they get a cut - I think they are disillusioned that they use up so much time to process an arrest and the culprit just gets a fine.

Italian TV recently showed a video clip of a child pickpocketing - he just looked like an innocent child !

Don't be paranoid, but keep your valuables tucked away.

The bottom line is JUST BE CAREFUL.... try not to look like a tourist (pulling out maps, etc.) Just pay attention and enjoy a truly great city.;)

Hard to do when getting on and off trains with suitcases, they got my very savvy husbands wallet,and not much you can do on a moving train, fortunatley he had his bills in a money belt.

The hotel were fantstic in helping us, cards stopped in 1/2 an hour of going missing so they got a few euros and his drivers liscence.

A friend got him a great wallet on a chain, this guy who lives outside of Barcelona had his wallet taken twice and also his laptop.

we have foiled wouldbe pickpockets and gypsies with children several times but this time it was so professional and quick, 3 of them , 2 men and a woman very smartly dressed.Never to old to learn.

As I still had my purse he became a kept man for the duration of our cruise.

Mrs. Makkem, you know what it like to loose a wallet to a pickpocker and I know about an outright theft of my camera. No matter how careful you think you are, there are instances when your guard is lowered for numerous reasons and that, of course, is what these theives are looking for.

Anyone who again simply says 'just be careful' are the ones who never had something stolen and who don't know what being careful really means.

I still say basta with Barcelona and the lack of police and security controls in Spain.

I think the only solution is a crackdown by police BUT unless stiffer penalties are introduced it would be useless. Most pickpockets readily pay the fine and just go on and carry on with their career.

Most of the pickpockets in Rome are not Italian but gypsies or Romanian/Albanian. The Gov. declared that any foreigner caught in any crime would be immediately deported. It served its purpose but the Human Rights folk protested.

Ladies if you are handy with a sowing machine make a small linen bag with flap about 2 inches by 3 inches two small straps with press studs attach these to your bra straps so it fits down your cleavage this will be ok for c/cards and bank notes don,t laugh my wife has made one. a pick pocket would be game to go here.

Ladies you might not like this but if hubby has the wallet walk behind him when walking, stand behind him when site seeing.

prevention is better than a loss. Grumphy

Or you can buy a small satin pouch for $6.95!

We carry a backpack for non valuables--water, jackets, umbrellas--and whomever is not carrying it walks about 1/2 step behind whomever IS--after our camera was stolen out of the backback when DH was carrying it--and I was in front on a crowded street.

Cathy

We read all about pickpockets before we left for our Med cruise, watched the youtube videos, etc, etc, and we were still pickpocketed. They are fast, and they are good. They know how to wait for an opportune moment, or how to create one.

Since you cannot completely avoid the possibility, you have to minimize potential damages. Only bring necessary items, and keep your money/ID in a money belt, worn under your clothes.

The worst places are crowded areas and local buses/trains. Our backpack was slashed in several places on a crowded Naples bus (#1) and my husband didn't realize it til we got back to the ship.

I saw a "druggie" trying to pickpocket in a large crowd at an outside shoe stall, and hit him with the boot I was holding- this was in the Spanish Costas. The crowd applauded-but we let the pathetic individual go his shivering way. The only time I've been pickpocketed was in Inca market in Mallorca-he got away with my library card and a few pesatas, which is all I carry in hot spots. Just be streetwise-if you're only meaning to have a meal and a few souvenirs, then that's all you take off the ship. Stick a few Euros in your shoe or down your bra, and a credit card in a secret pocket if you want to buy more.-jocap.

Quite a few backpackers wear their backpacks as frontpacks, which also helps in terms of safety.

My preferred method is to use an across the body type bag, and I always wear a light shirt or jacket across the top of it so that people can't slash the strap from behind. I've seen quite a few women in Italy do the same.

Plus in Italy don't keep your handbag on the side of your body that's near the edge of the pavement (sidewalk) or get someone to walk along side you, the pickpockets on scooters can have them off you in no time and are off in a moment.

My preferred method is to use an across the body type bag, and I always wear a light shirt or jacket across the top of it so that people can't slash the strap from behind. I've seen quite a few women in Italy do the same.

"...wear a light shirt..." to hide the strap. Thank you for this tip!

I was a little paranoid in New York last year, which used to have a terrible reputation--I had a small black leather 'across the body' purse-ette, and I put it on, then put my black leather jacket over it, and you really couldn't even tell it was there. BUT, I still love my little satin pouch that hangs inside my shirt--I lost ALL my paranoia having that. Peace of mind for only $6.95!

Archived