Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

Just wondering if anyone here wears an insulin pump and how you managed to secure it from pickpockets. My husband wears one and usually keeps it in his pocket. On last years med cruise it wasn't a problem but this year we will be spending some time in Barcelona (staying on the ramblas) and if they snatch his pump, not only will it hurt, he will be without his very expensive means of survival.

I am also carrying a DSLR camera and want to use it in Barcelona, I guess the best thing to do is keep the strap around my neck and the camera in my hand.

All money will be in a neck wallet or his trusty flip flops that have a secret money compartment.

I was talking to a passenger who was asked by Paris Orly a/port security check in to take his pump off. he refused but it did give him a problem Grumphy

Just wondering if anyone here wears an insulin pump and how you managed to secure it from pickpockets. My husband wears one and usually keeps it in his pocket. On last years med cruise it wasn't a problem but this year we will be spending some time in Barcelona (staying on the ramblas) and if they snatch his pump, not only will it hurt, he will be without his very expensive means of survival.

I am also carrying a DSLR camera and want to use it in Barcelona, I guess the best thing to do is keep the strap around my neck and the camera in my hand.

All money will be in a neck wallet or his trusty flip flops that have a secret money compartment.

I had the same question regarding the insulin pump. My 15 year old daughter wears an insulin pump that she just clips to her waistband so it is very visible. I am concerned that someone might think it is a valuable PDA or cell phone or even camera and attempt to steal it. I don't think if they knew what is was, they would bother (since it won't do them any good) but that might be too late. The pump is her means of survival and I am very worried. We are working on ways to hide it but nothing is foolproof. This forum has mentioned pickpocketing money and cameras; do they bother with things like cell phones? Any suggestions?

I had the same question regarding the insulin pump. My 15 year old daughter wears an insulin pump that she just clips to her waistband so it is very visible. I am concerned that someone might think it is a valuable PDA or cell phone or even camera and attempt to steal it. I don't think if they knew what is was, they would bother (since it won't do them any good) but that might be too late. The pump is her means of survival and I am very worried. We are working on ways to hide it but nothing is foolproof. This forum has mentioned pickpocketing money and cameras; do they bother with things like cell phones? Any suggestions?

Can you clip the pump down to anything or velcro it or pin it to her clothing? Pickpockets in a crowd take things in such a way that you don't notice. They won't wrestle with you or mug you. If the pump won't come away easily, no one should bother it, and if they have to take a good look to see how it's attached, they'll realise it's a medical device and not of interest.

Lisa

This forum has mentioned pickpocketing money and cameras; do they bother with things like cell phones? Any suggestions?

I haven't been yet, but from everything I've read, they steal cell phones too. European cell phones use SIM cards so if they can't get your phone to work with your SIM card, they can just pop in another SIM card.

If it's not too hot when you're going, you could sew a special pocket into the inside of her jacket. I wish you the best.

It would be such a pity to spend your vists to various Ports worring about the pump.

I would clip it to underwear - even if that means an unflattering lump.

Or put it in a pocket and close the pocket with a safety pin from the inside. Or sew part of the pocket opening so that it would be very hard for anyone to put their hands in.

Good luck.

I am a big guy, and I found a hand IN MY POCKET on our first Metro trip in Rome! Fortunately, I was wearing a body belt with my cash etc, and just had some coins in my pocket. We had a very tense moment when I confronted the (gypsy?) girl, but then the doors started to close and I had to get off the train.

Don't carry wallets in pockets, put your valuables in a body belt!

It would be such a pity to spend your vists to various Ports worring about the pump.

I would clip it to underwear - even if that means an unflattering lump.

Or put it in a pocket and close the pocket with a safety pin from the inside. Or sew part of the pocket opening so that it would be very hard for anyone to put their hands in.

Good luck.

Can you clip the pump down to anything or velcro it or pin it to her clothing? Pickpockets in a crowd take things in such a way that you don't notice. They won't wrestle with you or mug you. If the pump won't come away easily, no one should bother it, and if they have to take a good look to see how it's attached, they'll realise it's a medical device and not of interest.

Lisa

lisiamc, hat776, and D4: Thank you for the advice. I am experimenting with a few options (none of which my teenager likes). We will be going in August, so a jacket with a sewn in pocket is not an option.

how would a fanny pack fare would you recommend I wear mine in front? open to ideas.

Thanks

I would not use a fanny pack. A few years back my former DH was swarmed by gypsies while descending the Spanish steps in Rome. He's a streetwise New Yorker but before he could break free of them they had almost sliced through the strap.

Another tactic used is to push a large piece of cardboard (held horizontally) against your chest so you can't see (and can't reach) what is going on below. It only takes a second for them to open the zipper and make off with what is inside.

I know there are some waist packs now that have locking zippers and a steel cable, but why make yourself a target? Just use a money belt, a neck wallet, or similar.

how would a fanny pack fare would you recommend I wear mine in front? open to ideas.

Thanks

I do not think a fanny pack is a good idea facing in any direction. The zippers are too easy to open, A friend of mine was pickpocketed by men who reached for her chest area, and when she flung her arms up, they opened her purse zipper.

If you need to carry a purse, as I did, wear it cross body, with any zippers against your body. I had a pacsafe purse that also hooked over the zipper, and i felt pretty secure.

I don't think anyone means to scare people, and those who have not had a problem are fortunate, but people just need to be extra careful, especially on the metros.

Just to keep things in perspective - cases where gypsies swarm all over you are rare. In fact in our last visit to Rome we only saw a couple of gypsy women sitting with young kids begging. The tourist sites all had lots of police on duty. Crowded buses and metro are by far the most dangerous.

The most common scenario is that you'll have no idea when you were pickpocketed or someone bumps into you while his partner helps himself. And they dress and look like perfectly normal folk !

If you notice in time and the thieves run away (as opposed to having a motor scooter) you have a good chance of finding the bag . They open to see what cash or valuables there are and then throw the bag away making it difficult for the police to prove anything even if they are stopped.

Just to keep things in perspective - cases where gypsies swarm all over you are rare. In fact in our last visit to Rome we only saw a couple of gypsy women sitting with young kids begging. The tourist sites all had lots of police on duty. Crowded buses and metro are by far the most dangerous.

The most common scenario is that you'll have no idea when you were pickpocketed or someone bumps into you while his partner helps himself. And they dress and look like perfectly normal folk !

If you notice in time and the thieves run away (as opposed to having a motor scooter) you have a good chance of finding the bag . They open to see what cash or valuables there are and then throw the bag away making it difficult for the police to prove anything even if they are stopped.

The train from Naples to Pompeii is apparently one place where attempts to pickpocket are common; I've read many reports of cruise passengers being approached or "crowded" by several youth. Some were pickpocketed and others were able to avoid them. Also on the Metro/Electric train from Piraeus to Athens.

It's always best to be on your guard. I've ridden the Metro in Rome all over and never had any trouble, but that's maybe just the luck of the draw or maybe because I am very aware and have my valuables stashed out of reach.

Also on the Metro/Electric train from Piraeus to Athens.

It's always best to be on your guard. I've ridden the Metro in Rome all over and never had any trouble, but that's maybe just the luck of the draw or maybe because I am very aware and have my valuables stashed out of reach.

The incidence of pickpockets on the Piraeus to Athens green line have increased substantially this past year, according to the Athens locals who are Destination Experts on the tripadvisor website. Last month, a normally-dressed young lady tried to pick my husband's rear pocket on one of the escalators at the Monastiraki metro stop, but he only had a folded-up map there. He is a money belt man all the time when travelling in the Mediterranean area. (I have switched to a bra stash due to heat issues.)

Money belt; neck stash; bra stash - all these are wonderful products that make an absolutely no worry vacation!:)

We are travelling in October? Does anyone have any thoughts on backpacks? I always carry one when we travel? It goes over my shoulders then a strap around my waist. Do you think I might be open to them trying to slash open the bag? I carry my camera equip in it. I have been looking at the pacsafe backpacks, but they are 200 buck and the one I have is just so perfect for my use!! I also intend to get a money belt

thanks

Mel

We are travelling in October? Does anyone have any thoughts on backpacks? I always carry one when we travel? It goes over my shoulders then a strap around my waist. Do you think I might be open to them trying to slash open the bag? I carry my camera equip in it. I have been looking at the pacsafe backpacks, but they are 200 buck and the one I have is just so perfect for my use!! I also intend to get a money belt

thanks

Mel

I would only use a backpack for nonvaluable, replaceable items, like an umbrella, or sweatshirt, etc.

I've never been pick pocketed, but have read enough accounts by those who have to realize that petty crime like this does exist and should not be ignored.

I travel with a money belt and also use a secure Pacsafe daybag/backpack that cannot be slashed or have the zippers easily opened. For those who are interested, Pacsafe makes some excellent theft-resistant gear, www.pacsafe.com

Joe

Hi I am very interested in buying one of these bags, I went to this site right but now I am ending up with what size to buy day bag wise. I only want to put my wallet in it and camera. did you put your wallet in it ? Guess I am worried about loosing my wallet

thanks pom

The metrosafe 200 is great for carrying water bottle, umbrella, rain gear, travel guide, wallet etc. Slingsafe 100 is good for a slim wallet and a small pocket camera. If you carry a larger 35mm camera you'll need to move up in the bag size.

I finally decided to buy a PacSafe Metro Safe 200 and was even bidding on one on EBay until it went past $40. Then, I decided to check elsewhere on line (Other than the PacSafe site) and found through PriceGrabber many places selling this item for less money than at PacSafe. Finally bought mine at ebags and with the packing cubes that I wanted, even got free shipping, and they arrived in less than a week. There was something about AAA prices on the site; not sure why that came up - but it ended up being less expensive than Amazon or anywhere else that I could find anyway. Just be sure if you go to that site, that you display the AAA prices.

thank you for the information on these, I am going to try and get one for just my wallet and small camera. I had read about this but was not sure if the cost was worth paying for it, but having that not to worry is worth it right?

My DW has used the MetroSafe all over Europe and absolutely loves it. She says it's not the most stylish of purses, but it gives her a great sense of confidence.

I bought before our cruise the PacSafe Toursafe Petit Handbag in black and felt that I was able to have both style and safety. It has a clever convertible strap that could change the purse from an across-the-shoulder type to a shorter strap for evenings on board ship -- the strap slides into a sleeve on the side - very clever.

At ports, I kept my wallet inside a zippered pocket which was inside the zippered and latched purse. It had an outside pocket for a small guidebook so no need to open up the purse for that, and I left a few euro in my pocket for buying drinks on the street so I wouldn't have to open my purse for that either. In any case, I felt very secure with my wallet in a zipped-inside a-zipped-and-latched location. The wire in the purse and strap was a nice side benefit but I think that thieves might go after easier targets anyway.

It was kinda expensive, but I found it on sale at ebags and I thought the piece of mind was worth it. The size was good for me, big enough for my wallet, reading glasses, phone, camera and just a little more room to spare for little things bought along the way.

Sue

I bought before our cruise the PacSafe Toursafe Petit Handbag in black and felt that I was able to have both style and safety. It has a clever convertible strap that could change the purse from an across-the-shoulder type to a shorter strap for evenings on board ship -- the strap slides into a sleeve on the side - very clever.

At ports, I kept my wallet inside a zippered pocket which was inside the zippered and latched purse. It had an outside pocket for a small guidebook so no need to open up the purse for that, and I left a few euro in my pocket for buying drinks on the street so I wouldn't have to open my purse for that either. In any case, I felt very secure with my wallet in a zipped-inside a-zipped-and-latched location. The wire in the purse and strap was a nice side benefit but I think that thieves might go after easier targets anyway.

It was kinda expensive, but I found it on sale at ebags and I thought the piece of mind was worth it. The size was good for me, big enough for my wallet, reading glasses, phone, camera and just a little more room to spare for little things bought along the way.

Sue

i can't tell from the pictures online- is it big enough to put a camera in it? Not the small, pocket type but a bigger canon slr?

I saw a "druggie" trying to pickpocket in a large crowd at an outside shoe stall, and hit him with the boot I was holding- this was in the Spanish Costas. The crowd applauded-but we let the pathetic individual go his shivering way. The only time I've been pickpocketed was in Inca market in Mallorca-he got away with my library card and a few pesatas, which is all I carry in hot spots. Just be streetwise-if you're only meaning to have a meal and a few souvenirs, then that's all you take off the ship. Stick a few Euros in your shoe or down your bra, and a credit card in a secret pocket if you want to buy more.-jocap.

Now here is another good idea wow

Sue

i can't tell from the pictures online- is it big enough to put a camera in it? Not the small, pocket type but a bigger canon slr?

I have the "petite" size and you might be able to stuff an SLR if it had a small lens - nothing wider than about 3.5 inches or so, but you'd probably be happier with a bigger size. The ebags site has some nice pics with the bags opened and also relative to the carrier.

Archived