Pickpockets...is it really that bad?

Wow the metrosafe 200 is 89.00 + tax and shipping and I am not finding this to be any cheaper anywhere else

Guess I will keep looking :(

It's $65 on ebags.com - free shipping and no tax depending on where you live.

If you have a AAA card, you can get it cheaper. Some AAA sell them in their travel centers if there is one near you, or go through the AAA web site.

This is really an investment bag. We use it for all of our travel either local, US or worldwide. You'll get lots of use of it.

I just purchased my Metrosafe 200 at ebags for $52 at a special AAA price. I also wanted some more packing cubes and they also had the best price. Shipping was free with order over a certain amount. The items arrived in less than a week.

Just came back from NCL Gem cruise on Aug. 2nd, on our 1st day in Barcelona, while waiting for the bus to go back to the Pier. My dad was approached by a woman with a map to ask for time. He felt a hand in his front pocket from another woman right beside him, he looked up at her & before he can say anything, my mom felt a hand tried to reach into her front pack. My niece's backpack was also partly opened, but she got too much "junks" in there for them to be interested. I'm glad that I have made everyone to be more aware of pickpockets prior to the trip, in the end, we didn't loose anything but kind of "stun" by the experience!

On the Pacsafe website they list a few companies that sell their products. I found this page when I clicked on a product I wanted to buy. I clicked on Walkabout travel gear. I found the bag I wanted to buy for $10 less than the AAA price on e-bags. I noticed the Metrosafe 200 bags are $49.

Just returned from a 10 night cruise, followed by 4 nights in Barcelona. Before we left I sewed long strips of velcro in one of DH's side pockets on each of 3 pairs of pants. It made it quite hard to get into that pocket, even for him, plus the noise velcro makes! He kept nothing in his back pocket.

We had no problems, always kept a vigilent eye, wore no jewelry (except on the ship - a girl has got to look nice!)

We loved Barcelona, but couldn't believe the mobs of people everywhere!!:p ;)

Hi now this was a great idea, so you just did it to every day wear pants and this could be done to jeans etc? I am guessing you sewed across the top of the pocket, top and bottom right? Just want to make sure I understand how to do this for my pants!!!

thanks

Hi now this was a great idea, so you just did it to every day wear pants and this could be done to jeans etc? I am guessing you sewed across the top of the pocket, top and bottom right? Just want to make sure I understand how to do this for my pants!!!

thanks

Good idea! My dh had cargo travel pants from Travelsmith (very light, quick dry, lots of pockets), and he would put stuff in the velcro leg pocket. In crowded trains, etc. he kept his hand around his wallet in his front pocket.

All this talk about pickpockets in Spain and Italy is really starting to get to me. Is it really as bad as everyone says:confused: How can I enjoy my stay in European ports if I always have be on the look out for thieves. I will admit that DW and I are Italian and since we speak both Spanish and Italian maybe if we talk amongst ourselves in those languages it may deter them.

We had a lot of the same concerns. Use a money belt and you will be fine...

Ok for $49.00 I bit the bullet and bought it because it is small enough for my camera 6.0 mega pixels and my wallet and its not heavy. I thought if I get the one with the water bottle than I will have to look for a washroom etc etc this way I drink less sounds stupid but having to pay to use one and than finding one seems to be another issue right

I got it in black and this lady told me she had one and they tried to cut her strap and ran when she turned around at looked at them, not that is not bad at all!

S T R E E T S C A M S O F B A R C E L O N A

just type this in , got this some were of cruise critic message boards and they even have a picture of a woman who trys to get money from you by saying she has lost her bags and there are lots to read on this site

wow it has really made me think of what they really do and you know they don't care at all how they get their money at all http://jon.es/barna/scams.html#bags

I am sure glad that threads are started so we can learn about this before we go

Although I live in the Med and so am used to the little tricks and scams (which admittedly are not so bad here and more targetted towards tourists), I still take precautions when I am walking home alone at night or going on the metro. I always take my handbag but before I leave I put my credit card and keys in one side of my bra and as my phone is small I put that in the other side. It might seem extreme but at least then if I do get mugged I would still be able to get home, access money and call someone to help. Even if you have your money around your neck or in a front pack they can easily cut the strap from behind if it's thin enough.

I was mugged before in El Arenal in Mallorca when a couple of teenagers asked me for directions and as I was explaining pushed me down some stairs and tried to bang my head off the concrete whilst on top of me to get my handbag. Instinct told me to resist so I rolled onto my front over my handbag and they were only able to just slide their hands in and get a few cents out the side pocket. This was probably a little stupid and should really have handed it over to them but it was just the first reaction that came to me. Now I know I have my things with me and my handbag is basically full of junk I would probably throw it to them and let them have it.

Having said this, in day time most places you just need to take regular precautions as you would anywhere. Don't put your bag on the table or go swinging it around behind you, keep it zipped up and firmly under your arm or in your hand. Keep your valuables hidden and don't go flashing cash and put your money back in your purse before you leave the shop and go onto the street. It's pretty simple as long as you are aware of what's going on and if you take precautions you would be unlucky to get pickpocketed. If you are just in port for one day you won't need that much money. I usually just take a bit and then a credit card in case I go shopping as this can be discretely hidden.

I really appreaciate this thread but I must say it has really taken the charm out of a Med cruise for me. Just wonder how much people can enjoy the sights always needing to be on guard.

I think being prepared helped me enjoy it more. Because of the precautions I took (like pacsafe bag, bra stash, and other tricks I learned on the board), I did not worry.

There is no need to worry if you take the right precautions. I have lived in Europe and been back to visit many times and never had a problem.

We keep all money and cards except for a bit of change in hidden money pockets inside our pants. I also wear pants with a hidden velcro pocket from Tilley. They can't get at this pocket easily. For this trip I have bought a good backpack that is slashproof and has the main opening against the back. In crowed busses and trains if you have a backpack swing it around to the front and hug it when in a crowd. And do not ever have money, passports or cards in a purse or pack.

Just got back from Italy, Greece, Turkey, and the Paris airport. My husband wore a dummy wallet in an easily accessible back pocket that he had filled with paper and a photo of a gorilla holding up his middle finger. Not one pickpocketing attempt.

We were warned in every town by every guide to watch out for pickpockets. Our money was safe in a money pouch under our clothes and our belly packs (water, camera gear, etc.) were worn in the front.

No one in our group was ever approached and no one had a problem.

Just got back from Italy, Greece, Turkey, and the Paris airport. My husband wore a dummy wallet in an easily accessible back pocket that he had filled with paper and a photo of a gorilla holding up his middle finger. Not one pickpocketing attempt.

U think a pickpocketer took the wallet saw the picture and returned it :D

I don't understand the thinking behind dummy wallets / purses or such. Just keep it all discrete and unaccessible is much better low profile strategy :D

I really appreaciate this thread but I must say it has really taken the charm out of a Med cruise for me. Just wonder how much people can enjoy the sights always needing to be on guard.

I agree and I'm the one who started this thread.

Pac safe 100 bag, is for both a woman or a man, I am finding, as my husband said to me just now, this is really a nice bag and it doesn't look as if it was only meant to be used by a woman!

It is light but still locks your zippers! and I can put it around my waist or hang it over my shoulders

When I got it I thought o no what do with this camera, as I don't want to keep opening this bag every time I want to take a picture. But guess what????

My Sony 6.0 mega pixals fits side ways in the front zippered pocket!!!!

Now you have the strape to pull it out that is attached to you wire strapped. which is locked onto your bag, that you can buy from Cannon but it solves my problem of having a place for it and hoping that no one will steal it!

Just wanted to share this with someone out there who is in the same boat as me to what do I do with this camera?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a note about pinning the zippers closed on bags: we had carabiners attached to any zippered opening on our bag, but it's no match for a razor blade or knife or whatever it was the guy used to slash our bag open in several places (without us knowing, they were pushing from the front and from behind on the Naples bus). He ended up stealing our plastic compass. Our cash was in a money belt pinned (and this is one place where pinning has some value) to my underwear ;)

The man next door to us on our Baltic cruise had his wallet taken at the airport in Copenhagen. Fortunately his mother was a couple of steps behind him and she grabbed the girl's arm and got it back.In St. Petersburg, our guide told us there would be no use of reporting a pickpocket there. We have the around the neck pouches and leave most things in the safe.

Archived