Anyone cancel due to the swine flu?

CRUISING71

When I first heard about the swine flu outbreak, I thought it was sad. Then I thought that Carnival and other cruiselines would take a beating because passengers already fear violence in Mexico and now this.

Then...I thought...wow, maybe this means there'll be even more discounts on future cruises! That's the way my mind works sometimes.

just got a call from Kaiser..they want me to come in for a

pnemonia shot..so health care professional s are taking this

seriously..everyone should..

we might get sick..but, worst yet i would not want to be

aiding the spread of the swine flu just because i wanted to

visit Mexico..

we ve got a 3 dayer later in the yr..we may very well cancel

if things get worst..or just go on the cruise if things here get just

as bad..:D

I sail on the elation may 3rd.I will not cacel unless the cdc bans travel to mexico. i am not getting off the ship in ensenada. It their choice to let you back on the ship or not. i would hope nobody gets off in mexico. But it is their choice.

when you get back to us port they won't bother you if you did not get off the ship in:confused: mexico.

I don't understand why some of the answers on here have to be so rude. The OP asked a legitimate question to see what people are thinking. I would guess people who are canceling or considering wouldn't post it here as they would be instantly attacked and ridiculed.

There is a possibility this could be huge. The CDC is very concerned about this and they are considering travel restrictions.

I don't cruise to November so I don't have to think about it but if I thought the threat was serious enough, I would cancel. I value my family over a vacation and I would never put them at risk. I don't think it would be necessary at this point but I am definitely keeping an eye on things.

Cape,

You have a good question and comment on this matter. The responses do tend to be somewhat rude when one is not agreeing with the cheerleaders.

I am cruising to Cozumel on June 4th. At this point, we are just taking a wait and see approach to the situation. I guess if it gets unsafe to travel to Cozumel, the CDC will inform us not to do so.

The situation is a bit of a concern to us, but like I said, we will just take it one day at a time. I have until May 5th to cancel and I would just lose my deposit. So, I am hoping that by that date we will have a better idea of just how widespread this flu is going to be.

Happy & Healthy Sailing to All!

You don't need to make a decision yourself - the cruise line is responsible for that. They will either substitute another port, have a day at sea, or cancel the cruise. As long as you let the cruise line do their job and follow what they recommend you won't lose your money.

Cancelled ours this morning. Will go to New England instead. Between the violence and now swine flu . . . .I got the feeling someone was trying to send me a message!

I totally agree. Why spend money to constantly watch your back. There are so many other great places to see. We cancelled our Mexican Riviera cruise and chose an eastern caribbean itinerary instead.

I totally agree. Why spend money to constantly watch your back. There are so many other great places to see. We cancelled our Mexican Riviera cruise and chose an eastern caribbean itinerary instead.

Were you able to do that without any penalty? When were you scheduled to cruise?

I really think that everyone needs to make their own decisions on what to do or not do. If something makes you uncomfortable you should follow your instincts.

On 9/11, when the first plan hit and everyone thought it was a small plane and an accident, I called DH at work (2 blocks away) and begged him to leave and come home. I just had a really bad feeling. Of course he thought I was being ridiculous. Later, when he had two skyscrapers coming down around his head, he thought better of my opinion. His company then moved to Jersey City and when there was a blackout...he was the first one out of the building.:D

Just be well informed, and do what makes you feel comfortable.

We aren't sailing until November, but I always purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance through Travelsafe.

Out of curiosity - You were booked Early Saver? TravelSafe's "Cancel for Any Reason" reimbursed you for 100% of the forfeited deposit?? thanks, ken

Out of curiosity - You were booked Early Saver? TravelSafe's "Cancel for Any Reason" reimbursed you for 100% of the forfeited deposit?? thanks, ken

They covered the $150.00 penalty ($50.00/person) for the change. The deposit was rolled to the new cruise.

My cruise to Mexican Riviera isn't until late August, so waiting to see, but don't want to think about cancelling. I'd probably be happy just staying on the ship, beautiful floating resort that it is.

The comment about Stephen King's "The Stand" was funny, it always pops into mind when these "flu" scares come out.

The flu is spreading from person to person, not just if you have contact with infected pigs. Although this is serious and people have died, many more have recovered.

Agree that some of this is news media sensationalism at its worst.

I sail on the elation may 3rd.I will not cacel unless the cdc bans travel to mexico. i am not getting off the ship in ensenada. It their choice to let you back on the ship or not. i would hope nobody gets off in mexico. But it is their choice.

when you get back to us port they won't bother you if you did not get off the ship in:confused: mexico.

Why wouldn't they let you back on the ship? You don't come down with the flu in a couple of hours. And why wouldn't they bother you if you don't get off the ship? If you appear to be sick it won't matter I don't think. Or was that a question?

just got a call from Kaiser..they want me to come in for a

pnemonia shot..so health care professional s are taking this

seriously..everyone should..

we might get sick..but, worst yet i would not want to be

aiding the spread of the swine flu just because i wanted to

visit Mexico..

we ve got a 3 dayer later in the yr..we may very well cancel

if things get worst..or just go on the cruise if things here get just

as bad..:D

That shot wont help against swine flu. None do.

Im going on the Splendor may 10. I assume they wont just cancel it. If they offered me some money back I would go on a 7day to no where. Maybe Catalina for a day or two. I just hope they dont cancel it all together cuz ive been looking forward to it for so long.

That shot wont help against swine flu. None do.

But they are working on developing a shot for it- they say it should be available in about 2 months. Let's hope we don't need it.

As far as the pnuemonia shots- wouldn't they keep the flu from developing into a pneumonia? I had intended to say yes, but now I am not certain.

Heard on the news tonight that they are urging ppl not to travel to Mexico. Not sure how this is going to affect Carnival or if they will decide not to travel there. They may just add more sea days.

Makes me wonder if Carnival would cancel trips to the Mexican Riviera. The numbers keep rising on an hourly basis, especially in Mexico.

Also, Carnival's sales are down 10% since the outbreak was announced.

But they are working on developing a shot for it- they say it should be available in about 2 months. Let's hope we don't need it.

As far as the pnuemonia shots- wouldn't they keep the flu from developing into a pneumonia? I had intended to say yes, but now I am not certain.

Yes & it could take 6 months, or they may never as it could mutate.

Archived