Anyone cancel due to the swine flu?

CRUISING71

Does everyone realize that approx 36 to 38 THOUSAND Americans die of the flu every year? Take the normal precautions that you would naturally do if someone is sick around you...stay away from them. Don't forget the negative side to living in a sterile and "sanitized" world...super bugs form.

Now go have some fun, but just keep those hands washed as you would to prevent Norovirus....

Does everyone realize that approx 36 to 38 THOUSAND Americans die of the flu every year?

You should recheck that number.

It's usually posted with Flu AND Pneumonia. Strip out pneumonia numbers, and you may be startled.

Just get some Tamiflu. You'll be fine. :)

Easier said than done. Do you think Tamiflu is still sitting on drug store shelves today? Everyone sold out the first day after the announcement of swine flu.

If you don't have Tamiflu already, you are going to have to rely on getting some of the limited stockpiles the government has if you begin to come down with symptoms. If this this does indeed begin to spread rapidly, those 500,000 doses in the stockpile won't last long in a country with 300 million people.

this reminds me when i was a just a child..when the spanish flu hit..

it must have been Memorial Day weekend and all we kept hearing on the

news was how many people were dying..and how many more will die this weekend..the press made it out to sound like the Grim Reaper was out

collecting souls..

so here i am, all scared thinking im about ready to be caught up and die:confused:

but, soon after while playing on the beach at Santa Cruz i forgot about all the hysteria caused by the press..

this strain of swine flu..i heard on the news last night is particularly deadly

for health middle age individules..can one of you scientist explain this?

Here is Dr. Sanjay Gupta's explanation:

CNN: Sanjay, one question that we haven't gotten to ... most of the people who died from swine flu in Mexico were in the prime of their lives really, and this usually hits infants or the elderly. What does that say to you as a doctor?

Gupta: This is interesting. And the same thing happened in sort of a non- intuitive way when we were talking about SARS and when we were talking about avian flu. Think about it like this: Typically, you think of someone who has a weakened immune system, who's going to be most adversely affected by an infection. Their immune system simply can't fight it.

But in these cases, it's the immune system itself that reacts robustly, and it's the immune system in that reaction to the virus that is causing death in these patients. So the virus starts that cascade, but all that fluid builds up in the lungs, and all those inflammatory cells throughout the body -- that's what's causing the problem. We saw the same thing with SARS and with avian flu as well. Which is why exactly as you said ... [people in their] 20s and 30s and 40s, this hospital behind me, they say that's been the bulk of their patients with regard to swine flu.

I for one would never put my children at risk.

Sure you would, and sure you do. Everything you do is a risk of some sort. Did you get you kids vaccinations? Well, they have a small risk that you could come down with that disease, so you put them at risk. Heck, every time you put them in a car to go somewhere you are putting them at risk, they could be hurt in a car wreck. Even getting out of bed is a risk, they could fall and bust their head open.

Risk is part of life, there is always risk. A parent's job is to evaluate which risks are small enough to take and which risks are too great. The tough part of this swine flu thing is that no one knows for sure how great the risk is, so it's hard for us to make that judgment.

As an infection control practitioner I am watching the prices of the Mexican bound cruises for a deal right now.

Over 35 000 people die every year in the USA of the seasonal flu that sweeps thorugh every year. When the projected fatalities from swine flu go above this I will consider changing plans until then I am going.

Please don't lick your fingers in the buffet line and then touch the serving utensils-this willl go a long way in not spreading the swine flu on board.

From what I understand most of the US cases don't even need treatment above typical flu treatment of rest and fluids. So I don't see the tamiflu being wiped out, espcially since it's only very effective in the first 48 hours and most wouldnt' see a Dr. before then.

If it's a case of a healthy immune system overreacting and killing those in that age range in Mx. Then why aren't the ones in that age range here having the same results? I dont' buy that, there is something else, a slight mutation, a unknown flaw in the immune system present in that specific area or something.

I checked with my doctor and was told not to worry about it. Follow the CDC guidelines about washing hands ect. Then if you do the math, you are more likely to be in a plane crash than get the flu in Mexico. Less than 1% of the population of Mexico City is sick. And according to the CDC there have been only 18 Lab. Confirmed cases in Mexico.

From what I understand most of the US cases don't even need treatment above typical flu treatment of rest and fluids. So I don't see the tamiflu being wiped out, espcially since it's only very effective in the first 48 hours and most wouldnt' see a Dr. before then.

Just because people don't have a real need to go buy Tmiflu doesn't mean they won't do it. All it takes is a small percentage of the population to panic due to the swine flu news and run out to make sure they have Tamiflu just in case, and that would ensure there is no over the counter Tamiflu available for those that might really need it. It think that point has already passed, and there is no longer any Tamiflu available on drug store shelves.

And you may well be right that people generally won't seek medical attention until after 48 hours have passed. Therefore, they won't be getting any of the Tamiflu. But if that's the case, what the benefit of the government having those 500 thousand doses? It won't be getting to anyone early enough in their syptoms to help.

Just because people don't have a real need to go buy Tmiflu doesn't mean they won't do it. All it takes is a small percentage of the population to panic due to the swine flu news and run out to make sure they have Tamiflu just in case, and that would ensure there is no over the counter Tamiflu available for those that might really need it. It think that point has already passed, and there is no longer any Tamiflu available on drug store shelves.

And you may well be right that people generally won't seek medical attention until after 48 hours have passed. Therefore, they won't be getting any of the Tamiflu. But if that's the case, what the benefit of the government having those 500 thousand doses? It won't be getting to anyone early enough in their syptoms to help.

Tamiflu is prescription only..you cannot get it OTC.

I've wondered if in a true pandemic or epidemic of any type once the government officials and first responders are treated what would be left for the general population?

If someone goes to the Dr. sick less then 48 hours and has been in an affected area they will be administered tamiflu. Otherwise it's usless so I don't see your point. You can't run down to the corner market and pick up Tamiflu, you have to see your Dr. so those that need it will get it. Those that don't, won't.

I've wondered if in a true pandemic or epidemic of any type once the government officials and first responders are treated what would be left for the general population?

My sister is deputy mayor and OEM liason of our township and I'm on the Crisis Team for my company so I can answer this question with a bit of knowledge. The DHS goes to every municipality's Office of Emergancy Management coordinator and gets a list of essential personnel -- cops, first responders, elected officials, municipal personnel that are essential to keeping the government running as efficiently as possible in time of crisis, and usually their families as well. I know my sister has a certain allotted number of people she could put on the list, but gave up a good number of hers to a pool for a couple of our cops who have exceptionally large (like 12 kids) families. Anyway, these folks will receive any sort of medicine that is needed to treat or ward off a major pandemic illness. Cipro, Tamiflu, whatever. After that, the medicine goes to those who will be most effected -- children, the elderly, those with compromised immune systems. There are also plans to keep production of the pharmaceuticals running at maximum capacity. Ultimately, in our current age of antibotics, things like the swine flu or Spanish flu are actually pretty treatable. The issue will be if the strain mutates and the sciencticians have to figure out what works best to beat it. Right now, the swu can be treated with rather simple and plentiful antibotics.

If someone goes to the Dr. sick less then 48 hours and has been in an affected area they will be administered tamiflu. Otherwise it's usless so I don't see your point. You can't run down to the corner market and pick up Tamiflu, you have to see your Dr. so those that need it will get it. Those that don't, won't.

Except for the fact that doctors are calling in prescriptions for Tamiflu left and right without seeing patients. We're having a real problem with that in NYC right now. No one has Tamiflu because people panicked, and now the people who really need it -- say like those folks who live in the same household as kids from St. Francis Prep who were infected -- can't get it. It's not as simple as those that need it will get it when family doctors are writing for it willy nilly.

... Ultimately, in our current age of antibotics, things like the swine flu or Spanish flu are actually pretty treatable. The issue will be if the strain mutates and the sciencticians have to figure out what works best to beat it. Right now, the swu can be treated with rather simple and plentiful antibotics.

Unfortunately, antibiotics are useless against viruses. Tamiflu/Oseltamivir have been shown to be very effective if taken at first signs of illness.

Another unfortunate aspect of this and other influenza infections is that they are highly contagious even before symptoms appear, so trying to deal only with people that appear sick is futile. Lastly, those surgical masks they are handing out are good only at protecting against droplet infection. You need a much thicker respirator-type mask to protect against particle infection. This is going to be a tough one to deal with, if only because it snuck up on us so quickly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought antibiotics were for bacterial infections and not viruses. Isn't the flu a virus?

Also, I wouldn't cancel personally because I am lucky and have a very strong immune system. I'm almost 58 and don't ever remember having a flu. Don't even remember the last time I had a cold. But it is a personal choice. People just need to do what makes them feel most comfortable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought antibiotics were for bacterial infections and not viruses. Isn't the flu a virus?

You're correct, I'm wrong. But yes, it's a virus, a person would have to take an antiviral.

Also, I wouldn't cancel personally because I am lucky and have a very strong immune system. I'm almost 58 and don't ever remember having a flu. Don't even remember the last time I had a cold. But it is a personal choice. People just need to do what makes them feel most comfortable.

And use some common sense. Wouldn't that be nice? :D

Yes, the flu is viral, however in compromised people, when they get the flu, they can also get a secondary bacterial infection that leads to pneumonia etc. If the pnemonia is bacterial, they can use antibiotics. If it is viral, antibiotics won't kill it. Same thing with a sinus infection (bacterial) that was a by product of a viral cold that invaded the sinuses.

I am too busy dying from mad cow, SARS and bird flu to worry about swine flu :rolleyes:

At this point, H and I are just keeping an eye on things. We're booked on two cruises this summer that port in Mexico--I'm not worried about our June sailing on the Imagination. My guess? If things are still really bad, we'll skip Cozumel.

I am a little more worried about our Mexican Riviera cruise, since all those ports are in Mexico. But even with that, we're not canceling. That cruise is nearly 3 months away--81 days--by then, I'm sure this will be over. If it's not, then we'll wait for Carnival to cancel the cruise. We have already purchased our airfare flying into LAX and out of SFO (We were adding a few days in California to our vacation after the cruise...) and if worse comes to worse, well, we'll just spend an extra week in California.

But I honestly don't think it will come to that.

I think people just need to use common sense and keep an eye on the situation. I have a family member who is a PVP and he said yesterday that 95% of his calls were about swine flu..and people sailing in 2010 were cancelling.

2010? People, let's all CALM DOWN!

The latest information about the swine flu is that it is actually more dangerous to young, healthy people. Here is a link to an article discussing this, but I have heard this reported by physicians as well. (Something about the healthy immune system overreacting to the virus)

could someone take a turn at holding up the sky for awhile, my legs are getting tired.............

Although TamiFlu and other antivirals are prescription in the US they are NOT in Mexico and currently they are basically sold out in most Mexican states. We overnighted some to our friends in Coz, just in case his practice sees anyone infected. Other antivirals are also working in some at least one case in the US a patient on Valtrex was not exhibiting any symptoms while everyone else in his party was. Interesting indeed.

The secondary infections and the autoimmune response as well as dehydration are the primary cause of all swine realted deaths thus far.

ohhhh my aching back.

Archived