Anyone cancel due to the swine flu?

CRUISING71

From what I understand most of the US cases don't even need treatment above typical flu treatment of rest and fluids. So I don't see the tamiflu being wiped out, espcially since it's only very effective in the first 48 hours and most wouldnt' see a Dr. before then.

If it's a case of a healthy immune system overreacting and killing those in that age range in Mx. Then why aren't the ones in that age range here having the same results? I dont' buy that, there is something else, a slight mutation, a unknown flaw in the immune system present in that specific area or something.

I have heard that here in the US so many have gotten a flu vaccine that a small part of the vaccine, (the human part), may be effective and thus the flu is affecting US patients to a lesser degree. Also could be the number of cases in the US vs Mexico are smaller so we haven't seen any deaths yet.

But....I'm not a medical professional, so I only know what I read or see on the news. I wouldn't draw conclusions when I don't really know.

OMG love that pic in an ewwwwww sort of way LOL

I wonder how far out the announcement will reach. I can't see them decided on ours yet since it's 1.5 months away. Figure they'll take it 2-3 weeks at a time. Or do you think they will do a policy for the next few months since it's not likely to be better anytime soon?

we are not cancelling! im hoping if things arent safe that Carnival will bypass Cozumel (and hopefully replace it with something! but if not, we'll enjoy a day at sea).

The only way we're not goign is if they cancel the cruise altogether, and then hopefully we'd get a refund for the ship... and likely spend the week in Miami instead (maybe even try to get on a different ship not going to Mexico)

I'm curious to see waht the announcement is and how far-reaching... we sail the 17th and are due in Cozumel on the 22nd...

CNN just reported that two people in Los Angeles have died from what they believe (waiting on test) is swine flu.

http://www.ktla.com/landing_news/?Two-Possible-Swine-Flu-Deaths-Probed-in-=1&blockID=277903&feedID=171

We had 3 confirmed cases in Dallas yesterday, now 6 more probable cases, so its growing. A couple cases within 5 miles of me. I dont need to go to Cozumel to be in contact, just go out here.

Yesterday we cancelled our RCL cruise to Cozumel in July and went with a southern carribean instead. We still had a window to change.In another week we would have been locked in so we just changed for the peace of mind. It'll probably blow over by July but we didn't want to worry about it all spring.

Will be doin better on Saturday when boarding a ship heading out. Three of my fave ports. Costa Maya, Coz and Belize...I love it......

Lucky, lucky, lucky!!!!!!! Those are my fave ports, I hope you get to all of them and if you don't...have a great cruise ANYWAY! :D

My best freind and her 2 kids were going on a cruise with me and my 2 adult daughters -- leaving June 29 --- she is cancelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could not believe it when she called and told me.

So, she can stay home and continue to eat beef nightly and other high fat foods when her triglycerides are thru the roof.

I am not upset she canceled... just surprised that it has her worried when some (most) of her other lifestyle choices are much riskier.

Unless there is someone bigger than me at the dock on 5-9 w/ a gun telling me i can't get on the ship Then we are going to rock the freedom.

I trust that carnival would be worried about the saftey of all passengers and do the right thing.

Coz is my favotite stop and i sure hope to go there. But if not cest-la -ve .

They can tell you about a plane crash w/ a gleam in their eye.

I'm sure that alot of you remember that tune.

I don't worry about what's on the news. I'l stick w/ CDC updates and carnival updates.

RCCL have already re-routed all their ships calling at Mexican ports to other itineraries. We are on the Mariner on May 24th and it looks like we are now going to San Fransisco/Victoria BC/Seattle. Oh well, haven't been to Victoria before.......

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

I just booked a cruise on Ecstacy for June 22 along w/my family. I asked the TA at Carnival if there were alternative ports planned if the ones in Mexico were unavailable. She said yes, and rattled off a couple of names. I did not catch what she specifically said (1st time cruiser; not familiar w/the ports!), but she did say everything would be posted at 5pm.

Decided to go ahead and book because this cruise is the only one that fits into everyone's schedule (sister is prego), and I'm afraid if we wait until things settle down there will be a huge jump in fare as everyone rebooks from earlier cancellations!

RCCL have already re-routed all their ships calling at Mexican ports to other itineraries. We are on the Mariner on May 24th and it looks like we are now going to San Fransisco/Victoria BC/Seattle. Oh well, haven't been to Victoria before.......

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

Having never been to Seattle or Victoria, I'm cool with that. I'll just have to pack a little differently.

Maybe I'll have a bunch of my family greet me at SF, just for kicks.

Ooo hello, my first post on CruiseCritic!:p

We're flying from the Uk on Friday to LA, and taking the Sapphire Princess fro two weeks - we we're going to Mexico, and now are still waiting to see where it is we WILL be going!

We did think about canx a few days ago, but it's gone past containment now anyway! That and our insurance have said they wouldn't have paid out anyway!

Never mind!

We just got back from our first cruise. Took the Ecstasy to Cozumel. Had a wonderful time, great weather, food, and meet some wonderful people. I have not heard of a single person getting sick yet and it's been 4 days since we were at port. Doesn't mean no one will or the disease won't get worse but so far so good for us.

Can you tell us why the insurance wouldn't pay?

Unless you have the more expensive, cancel for any reason insurance (which still only pays about 75%), regular cruise insurance wouldnt pay for you to cancel, just because you dont feel like going now, you would need a doctors validation or some such to cancel.

Archived