Anyone cancel due to the swine flu?

CRUISING71

We tried to change our cruise to one departing from Miami, but Carnival would not do that for us. So we are going ahead with one out of San Diego this Saturday as planned as opposed to losing our money. We will take hand cleanser, Lysol and face masks. Not the ideal situation!

We tried to change our cruise to one departing from Miami, but Carnival would not do that for us. So we are going ahead with one out of San Diego this Saturday as planned as opposed to losing our money. We will take hand cleanser, Lysol and face masks. Not the ideal situation!

So far there are no reported cases in any of the MR cruise port towns, you will not need a mask if you just act as everyone should all the time anyway when traveling, wash your hands alot and don't stick you fingers in your eyes, nose or mouth and you'll be fine. You're more likely to get norovirus or montezuma's revenge.

Fasinating read- people on this thread blaming the media for hyping the 2009 flu and blaming the lack of media for the devastation of the 1917 flu. Certainly a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't.
In 1917 they barely had radios...let alone TV...Internet....Billboard LCD screens in Times Sq.......:rolleyes:

You are probably right, Cathy. Our doctor said to follow the CDC recommendations. We are on top of things and I'm sure everything will go well unless this spreads quickly. The news tonight said that no cruise lines are changing itineraries or ports of call. Thanks for your comment.

You are probably right, Cathy. Our doctor said to follow the CDC recommendations. We are on top of things and I'm sure everything will go well unless this spreads quickly. The news tonight said that no cruise lines are changing itineraries or ports of call. Thanks for your comment.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!!

This is how you get to 14,551 post.

Just another hard hitting Cruise Critic comment:mad:

You might want to check my third post on this board afterwards.....it was a joke.....Lighten up.......:p

When you have answered as many people helping them with things ranging from where to eat in ports, what band is playing onboard, posting menus for them, what their cabin mught be like, where can I find info on something and so on you might have a high post count also.

I'll be in Mexico next week in two ports (as I mentioned to the OP) which answered their question......;)

What will you be doing ? Counting peoples post counts......:rolleyes:

Fasinating read- people on this thread blaming the media for hyping the 2009 flu and blaming the lack of media for the devastation of the 1917 flu. Certainly a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Well you know the Media in 2009 might just be making this whole "Swine Flu" thing up and there really isn't anything out there to worry about, back in 1917 the media wasn't quite that sophisticated and didn't know that they could really benefit from making up stories like this, but then people died and so it was too late to make up the "Flu" story. ;)

You might want to check my third post on this board afterwards.....it was a joke.....Lighten up.......:p

When you have answered as many people helping them with things ranging from where to eat in ports, what band is playing onboard, posting menus for them, what their cabin mught be like, where can I find info on something and so on you might have a high post count also.

I'll be in Mexico next week in two ports (as I mentioned to the OP) which answered their question......;)

What will you be doing ? Counting peoples post counts......:rolleyes:

OK, I'll do it...this is how you get to 14,570 post? ;)

BTW, that's a Joke...Enjoy your Cruise and stay Safe and Well, don't eat the Pork in Mx. :)

As I said- too much media now causing panic, not enough then causing death.

As Ross Perot said when asked "what do you think of the news media ?"....His answer was..."I think they ought to put the editorial back on page 2..... where it belongs..."

One of my favorite answers of all time.....;)

OK, I'll do it...this is how you get to 14,570 post? ;)

BTW, that's a Joke...Enjoy your Cruise and stay Safe and Well, don't eat the Pork in Mx. :)

Yeppp....

And thanks Ted, I plan to.

Waiting to have lunch at the Smoky Mermaid in Belize. Can you say huge lobster tail....Yum.......Also, will be washing that down with a few cold Belikin beers......Maybe even washing my hands with it...LOL....:D:D

Yeppp....

And thanks Ted, I plan to.

Waiting to have lunch at the Smoky Mermaid in Belize. Can you say huge lobster tail....Yum.......Also, will be washing that down with a few cold Belikin beers......Maybe even washing my hands with it...LOL....:D:D

It'd prolly kill more microbes than hand sanitizer :D

I'm pretty certain your odds are higher of dying in a car crash on your way to the port than contracting the swine flu and dying.

Most folks in Mexico City are dying from secondary complications, pnuemonia and dehydration. Those two factors being directly corelated to not seeking medical attention in a timely manner.(that whole class thing in play again) We have friends in Mexico City and in Cozumel and the media attention in the US is far more dire than the actual outbreak.(this is according to our friend who is a Doc in Cozumel) We should be more alarmed that the disease crossed species! That's some serious mutation.

If you need me I'll be over here laying on the ground with my feet up in the air...........doing my part!

My daughter and her new husband are on the Elation this week. They were in Catalina yesterday. She called me last night to let me know they announced about 10:00pm that Ensenada was cancelled for today - another fun day at sea instead.

Usually when we hear about things like this we look for great cruise deals. My DH was a little concerned this time around since his immune system is sensitive. We have no plans on canceling our cruise next month but plan on bring extra hand sanitizer. He will double check with his doctor before we go to be on the safe side.

We just got off the Valor this last Sunday(and we did spend the day in Cozumal last Friday), and there was NO mention of this flu at all! Not on the ship, customs, or the airport(MIA). We didn't hear about it until we turned on the TV in our hotel room yesterday morning. Go figure....:rolleyes:

Our news media yesterday interviewed a travel agent that specialized in cruises (lots of Carnival brochures seen) and the agent said that cruise ships were allowing travelers to change their plans to avoid Mexico.... (it was replayed this morning)

We just got off the Valor this last Sunday(and we did spend the day in Cozumal last Friday), and there was NO mention of this flu at all! Not on the ship, customs, or the airport(MIA). We didn't hear about it until we turned on the TV in our hotel room yesterday morning. Go figure....:rolleyes:

Nothing like getting that word out to Mr. and Mrs. average traveller. :eek:

My daughter and her new husband are on the Elation this week. They were in Catalina yesterday. She called me last night to let me know they announced about 10:00pm that Ensenada was cancelled for today - another fun day at sea instead.

This is interesting.

Do you know if they were given an explanation?

Was it risk of contagion or something else?

According to the Carnival web site they will make a statement by 5:00 this afternoon on the flu situation.

If they skipped Ensenada because of the flu problem, then this could be a clue as to what Carnival may do.

What other ships are scheduled to dock in Mexico today?

I will not cancel my cruise...keep reading the CDC website yes!

I honestly do not believe in the news since the Iraq war...DH went twice, the news kept us on panic state as to how bad things are/were over there, when he came back...Yeah it was a war but nothing compared to the descriptions they were giving in the news...

Another one familiar news panic attack to all South Floridians "Hurricane Season" ...need I say more?????

this reminds me when i was a just a child..when the spanish flu hit..

it must have been Memorial Day weekend and all we kept hearing on the

news was how many people were dying..and how many more will die this weekend..the press made it out to sound like the Grim Reaper was out

collecting souls..

so here i am, all scared thinking im about ready to be caught up and die:confused:

but, soon after while playing on the beach at Santa Cruz i forgot about all the hysteria caused by the press..

this strain of swine flu..i heard on the news last night is particularly deadly

for health middle age individules..can one of you scientist explain this?

this reminds me when i was a just a child..when the spanish flu hit..

it must have been Memorial Day weekend and all we kept hearing on the

news was how many people were dying..and how many more will die this weekend..the press made it out to sound like the Grim Reaper was out

collecting souls..

so here i am, all scared thinking im about ready to be caught up and die:confused:

but, soon after while playing on the beach at Santa Cruz i forgot about all the hysteria caused by the press..

this strain of swine flu..i heard on the news last night is particularly deadly

for health middle age individules..can one of you scientist explain this?

Charlie Rose did a show about this yesterday that was very interesting.

One of the people being interviewed,(sorry that I do not have her name) said that young adults may be hit harder because they have stronger immune systems. She said that the virus may make their robust immune systems overreact and cause fluid in the lungs. This is kind of the opposite of what would be expected.

If they replay this show today it is worth watching.

They were also calling this flu the "Spring Break Flu".

I am taking 5 kids on the holiday to mexico and yes I'm nervous about the whole thing. I too am waiting to see how bad it gets.

I for one would never put my children at risk.

But, I am expecting the authorities to speak up if it is unsafe for use to go.

No doubt, lots will cancel. I have until 11May and I will decide then for sure. My children will be so disappointed.

I too hope they make another port a call, even thou mexico is one of favorite of all times.

I would feel much better if Carnival would do Cayman Islands and/or Jamacia at the point. Just a peace of mind!!!

I pray you all have a safe and fun trip......

Ya'll have a blessed day

The only problem I see with changing my cruise is who's to say if carnival lets me change it from our planned trip to MX to another departure state and different ports, that tomorrow or next month before our cruise, there won't be cases showing up there?

I think you just have to decide if you want to travel or not because changing ports may not make a bit of difference in the end. We have 2 cases the next state over from us so I could be exposed at home.

Archived