Anyone cancel due to the swine flu?

CRUISING71

This is another classic example of the media blowing something clear out of proportion for ratings. ~100 people in Mexico have died of swine flu, all in and around Mexico City. Avoiding the Yucatan and the Mexican Riviera because of illness in Mexico City is like avoiding Miami because people in Cleveland are sick. Further, of all the cases in the US so far, only one has resulted in hospitalization, and there are no fatalities. Meanwhile some 30,000 people die of "normal" influenza in the US every year.

I do believe that the cases in NYC were HS kids that traveled to Cancun??? I don't buy into the "panic mode" of the media either...however, it is good to have the info out there so people can make choices on travel, etc.

We're on the Liberty May 16, 1 stop is Cozumel. Figure the cruise ships will do as they do in a hurricane...if the situation warrants, they will reroute. Missing a port for health/safety reasons makes perfect sense. Of course, as others have already stated, I think the media must be having some slow news days...SARS didn't get the headlines this is getting.

I have no intentions of cancelling our cruise and if I felt it was a risk I would. I have 4 kids that I will be coming home to so I wouldn't cruise if I felt there was a real risk of getting something life threatening (which this has not been shown to be in the US). We will cruise as planned, if CCL decides to skip our two ports in progresso (not getting off there anyways) and cozumel (we love Coz) then I will respect that decision and we'll have a cruise to no where. Either way we'll have fun and you won't hear us whining about missing the ports. Ok maybe I'd whine for a minute over Coz but I'd be over it quick LOL :p

We leave Saturday on our cruise aboard the Carnival Glory to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Nassau. We are doing a wait and see on what Carnival will do, if nothing then we are still sailing, just going to take more precautions on what we do and where we go.

My mom and I are booked to leave out of Long Beach for the 7 night Riveria cruise on the Splendor at the end of May. If it gets worse, yes I'll cancel and rebook (to the Caribbean) when it dies down. To tell you quite honestly, I don't know why but I'm not as excited about a Mexican Riveria cruise anyway. I wish I was. :mad:

Fox news just announced that the State Department is now BANNING all unnecessary travel to Mexico.

They're not banning it, they're issuing a travel advisory advising Americans to avoid unnecessary travel to Mexico.

I don't understand why some of the answers on here have to be so rude. The OP asked a legitimate question to see what people are thinking. I would guess people who are canceling or considering wouldn't post it here as they would be instantly attacked and ridiculed.

There is a possibility this could be huge. The CDC is very concerned about this and they are considering travel restrictions.

I don't cruise to November so I don't have to think about it but if I thought the threat was serious enough, I would cancel. I value my family over a vacation and I would never put them at risk. I don't think it would be necessary at this point but I am definitely keeping an eye on things.

Most importantly:

CDC Recommendations

CDC has NOT recommended that people avoid travel to Mexico at this time. If you are planning travel to Mexico, follow these recommendations to reduce your risk of infection and help you stay healthy.

No i have not and will not cancel.. Have any of you read up on this yet? The outbreak is in Mexico City and its mostly infecting people who are in direct contact with pigs... Unless they say that we cannot cruise then i will be there just do what you do on a normal basis make sure you wash your hands and take your vitamins.... (Its on MSN today)

Better not go on a cruise then!!;)

We are cruising in August...at this point I am waiting to see what will happen too. We are traveling with two small children...so that is why I am concern.

For some...you can be all sarcasm if you want..but when it hits home and one of your family member are infected...it might not be so funny.

Cruising71, unless your children are immunocompromised, the drugs Tamiflu and Relenza seem to be effective in treating the swine flu. And the US had just released some of its stockpile in case it is needed. Really, worry will give you a heart attack. You're going to be fine. If your children are immunocompromised the CDC would recommend that you not go anyway so your bases are covered.

Not to change the topic here, but you have thousands of illegal aliens coming over the border everyday. That too me is the biggest concern. You can only imagine that some are coming from Mexico City itself.

DH and I had this very talk yesterday. We are glad we're not travelling right now to Mex. But my brother lives in a border town,so YES,there is a slight bit of concern for he and his family out there in Cali. I dont think it would make me cancel.BUT I would stock up on hand santizer and maye watch where I went.But really, I would do that anyway.

I agree with what RVman said about the illegals coming over and the possible contamination factor there.

I know we all remember SARS. and the paranioa/concern over that. I hope that the ppl who get this horrible flu are ok,and seek medical attention. But,if we think about things, and all the possible dangers lurking EVERYWHERE, none of us would leave our houses, or travel. Im not saying nto to be aware of whats really going on in the world, but I wont let fear dictate me at all.

So I go armed! {legally,of cource} and take my chances with the dust,pigs,and crazy ppl out there!:)

Not to change the topic here, but you have thousands of illegal aliens coming over the border everyday. That too me is the biggest concern. You can only imagine that some are coming from Mexico City itself.

The bigger concern is spring breakers bringing it back from Mexico, taking it into the schools and spreading the infections from there. :rolleyes:

I am also waiting to see what happens BUT... on my upcoming Liberty cruise, if Cozumel is indeed cancelled, then I am concerned... what does Carnival plan to do with us? Quite honestly, with 8 kids, I don't want to spend 3 1/2 days at sea.... That is just way too long a period to be at sea for kids (and some adults too).

So, either Carnival will PLEASE take us to another Port or I will definitely consider (if its not too late and there is availability) changing to another ship, another itiernary.

Watching Fox News. They are still deciding whether to issue a travel warning. So far Obama says "cause for concern, not alarm."

First, CDC doesn't issue travel warnings state dept does.

Here it is

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department plans to issue a travel warning later on Monday urging Americans to avoid all "nonessential" travel to Mexico because of an outbreak of swine flu, a U.S. official said.

Swine flu has killed 103 people in Mexico and has spread to the United States. Spain has reported one case of the virus, the first to be confirmed in Europe.

"There will be a travel warning urging Americans to avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico because of the swine flu," said a U.S. official, who spoke on condition he not be named as the warning has not yet been announced.

Archived