Star Alliance award ticket q's

YXU AC*SE

Hiya. Booked on Med / Black Sea cruise r/t from ATH later this year. As for [frequent] flying, all of mine is pretty much done domestically on a single carrier, that being AC / QK earning my SE status by segments, so I am a little out of my league.

I have a slighty convoluted Aéroplan Star Alliance award itin to ATH via LH which runs YXU YYZ (QK-Y) ORD (UA-F) FRA (LH-F) ATH (LH-J) stop ATH FRA (LH-J) IAH (LH-F) YYZ (QK-J) YXU (QK-Y) all on a single PNR.

First, will only have to check-in once? Or with each individual carrier? Depending on that answer, will our bags be through-checked and whose baggage rules apply for the trip?

I do know that I will have to reclaim them in YYZ to pre-clear US CBP; will they be interlined to LH in ORD? And I assume I shall need to meet up with them in FRA to enter the EU. On the return, the same for IAH and YYZ.

Aéroplan, sadly, replies with a shrug and says check with your gate agent in YXU once your journey starts. :-)

Thanks in advance for your insight and experience,

Scott.

That just about beats my YQB-YUL-YYZ-MIA routing a few years back... :rolleyes:

Firstly, when you check in at YXU (who came up with these airport codes anyways? Why should Y automatically say to you, 'Canada!'), check with the agent to see if they can get you on a better flight. While I haven't had success recently, a couple of years ago myself and my parents were on 3 different routings to LAX, and managed to all get on the best YQB-YYZ-LAX flights by asking at check-in. This MUST be done at the beginning of the flight, because your luggage has to follow you.

Which brings me to your question - yes, the luggage WILL be checked through. I don't think you will need to even claim it in FRA, but people with more experience connecting in Europe can answer that one for you.

The baggage rules that apply are the ones of the airline you check-in with. Thus, on a recent trip to FLL, we didn't have to pay for luggage going (AC), but had we kept our original return on USAir, we would have had to pay on the return.

I couldn't get a pair of seats on YYZ or YUL FRA with AC / LH, and YYC was over MPM, so ORD / IAH it became. From everything I have read, LH's F product is amazing, so the extra time will be extra comfy! I don't get that flying on a DH1 from YXU. :) Scott.

You just check in at the beginning of your first leg, and you should receive all your boarding passes.

I think it not likely you will be able to change this routing, especially on an award itinerary as there would have to be award seats available on the new routing.

If I'm reading your routing correctly, you will have to claim bags in Toronto and go through US immigration and customs before boarding your flight for Chicago.

On your return flights, you will have to claim your bags in Houston and go through US immigration and customs before boarding your flight for Toronto.

I have a slighty convoluted Aéroplan Star Alliance award itin to ATH via LH which runs YXU YYZ (QK-Y) ORD (UA-F) FRA (LH-F) ATH (LH-J) stop ATH FRA (LH-J) IAH (LH-F) YYZ (QK-J) YXU (QK-Y) all on a single PNR.

Actually not that convoluted. Into an LH gateway in North America to their hub at FRA, then one flight to ATH. Coming back, you get to experience the F cabin for a longer flight into IAH, then back to Canada. In any case - GOOD SCORE!!!

First, will only have to check-in once? Or with each individual carrier? Depending on that answer, will our bags be through-checked and whose baggage rules apply for the trip? I do know that I will have to reclaim them in YYZ to pre-clear US CBP; will they be interlined to LH in ORD? And I assume I shall need to meet up with them in FRA to enter the EU. On the return, the same for IAH and YYZ.

You should be able to get all boarding passes at YXU and ATH, as you are on a complete Star itinerary. On the outbound, correct about CBP at YYZ. From there, bags will be transfered at ORD and FRA to be claimed at ATH.

On the return, it may be problematic. I am not completely up to date on transfer bags from international to international at US points of entry (IAH). At one time, your bags would be transfered without customs - not sure now, but something in my brain makes me think you currently have to do both immigration and customs on checked baggage. Sorry I can't be totally sure. I do know that you will have to go through immigration at IAH (which was the demise of the Iberia mini-hub at MIA).

If you do have to retrieve bags at IAH, be aware that you may not be able to recheck them immediately after customs. A few years back, on an award ticket that had me on AF into IAH and DL out, I was forced to schelp my own bags from customs to terminal A because the only recheck was onto CO. I would think it unlikely that AC would have a recheck desk at IAH - but with CO joining Star, it may be possible that CO will take the AC bound bag. Lots of things in flux with that change. Also, you may be able to use the CO President's Club in IAH.

I would try to check with another AC agent, or contact LH.

Yeah, I'm a little (okay, a lot) jazzed about the entire trip ... been reading some interesting trip reports about the dedicated First Class Terminal at FRA, the personal livery service to the ramp, and personal assistant! (cool blog btw: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2008/08/20/trip-report-lufthansa-first-to-europe-including-the-first-class-terminal-part-two/) Makes all those 06h00 departures on AC7702 worth it somehow. So yes, major score IMHO.

As for baggage rules, if I am through checked, I assume it is the first carrier's rules by whom I have to abide. My SE allowance with AC is three pieces, to a maximum of 70 pounds each, and for the return, I assume I am goverened by the greater of LH F pax rules and/or Star Alliance Gold limits.

We did 20 days SCL to GIG and magically went with seven bags (2008 SE limit was 4 bags, one of which could be 70 pounds) and another three for the other J ticket. So baggage rules are somewhat of a concern, especially when I look at LH's add-on penalties.

Scott.

Yeah, I'm a little (okay, a lot) jazzed about the entire trip ... been reading some interesting trip reports about the dedicated First Class Terminal at FRA, the personal livery service to the ramp, and personal assistant! (cool blog btw: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2008/08/20/trip-report-lufthansa-first-to-europe-including-the-first-class-terminal-part-two/) Makes all those 06h00 departures on AC7702 worth it somehow. So yes, major score IMHO.

Don't get too excited, you can't technically access the FCT at Frankfurt based on that itinerary.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2009/01/26/lufthansa-changes-first-class-terminal-access-rules-again/

This beats my mess on Star Alliance in July.

I have no problem from the US to Tromso as Lufthansa will check my bags through including SAS (Oslo to Tromso). On the way back I not only had to purchase a separate ticket from Longyearbryn to Tromso when my award ticket is from Tromso back to the US with a forced overnight in Oslo but the ticket from Longyearbryn to Tromso says one 44 Ib bag per person where Tromos to Oslo (same airplane which has a stop in Tromso on its way to Oslo) is supposed to be up to two 50 lb bags per person snce we will be on our way back to the US the next day. I have the name of the person at SAS in Miami who said I would have no problem because of the forced overnight in Oslo on my way back to the US, but I fear an argument with bag check-in at Longyearbryn. We don't need four (4) 50 lb bags but more than two (2) total 44 pound bags going to the Arctic and coming back with a Parka as well as extra back packs etc. SilverSeas is requiring men have a jacket for two informal nights and prefer we bring our own boots which we plan not to do. Unfortunately we need heavier clothing including sweats etc.

Btw, I am going through Munich this year so I see a different airport vs FRA.

All they can tell me now is to talk to the check-in agents in Longyearbryn - great :(

That just about beats my YQB-YUL-YYZ-MIA routing a few years back...

Which brings me to your question - yes, the luggage WILL be checked through. I don't think you will need to even claim it in FRA, but people with more experience connecting in Europe can answer that one for you.

We have had luggage checked through in FRA the past two years. It did not have to be claimed, however, we got off the plane on the tarmac so had to go through security again with our carryon. One year we flew from the US to Rome and the other year we flew from Rome to the US.

Lufthansa coach is two (2) 50 lb bags and there is no fee. I believe first is 70 lbs each.

But you're starting travel in Athens, unless you're overnighting in FRA you'll struggle with ze agents to get into the FCT.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles-more-lufthansa-austrian-swiss-other-partners/910005-no-more-fct-access-connecting-passengers-policy-not-place-37.html (just skip to the ending!)

I could have asked my through checked question over there, but (a) I don't have a profile, and (b) ridiculing noobs seems to be a blood sport on that board. Lurking suits me fine. :-)

Scott.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles-more-lufthansa-austrian-swiss-other-partners/910005-no-more-fct-access-connecting-passengers-policy-not-place-37.html (just skip to the ending!)

I could have asked my through checked question over there, but (a) I don't have a profile, and (b) ridiculing noobs seems to be a blood sport on that board. Lurking suits me fine. :-)

Scott.

Nice! Emjoy the FCT, it is one of the world's best.:D Too bad LH can't make their inflight product as good...

FCT (First class)?

[glossary]

Sorry -- I fly a lot and tend to use industry acronyms ... my bad.

Lufthansa (LH) operates a stand-alone First Class Terminal (FCT) at FRA (Frankfurt) and I believe MUC (Munich) airports for their first class (F) passengers (pax) and top-tier frequent fliers. Some pictures are here ... to give you an idea: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2008/08/20/trip-report-lufthansa-first-to-europe-including-the-first-class-terminal-part-two/

A very nice flight experience, especially compared with the DH1 (deHavilland DASH-8 100 series aircraft) on which I earned my AC*SE (Air Canada's Aéroplan SuperÉlite top tier status) and all the regional BFE airports (I'll let you go to urbandictionary.com to look that one up yourself) like YXU (London, ON Canada) from which I regularly fly in and out!

[/glossary]

Scott.

:D

[glossary]

Sorry -- I fly a lot and tend to use industry acronyms ... my bad.

Lufthansa (LH) operates a stand-alone First Class Terminal (FCT) at FRA (Frankfurt) and I believe MUC (Munich) airports for their first class (F) passengers (pax) and top-tier frequent fliers. Some pictures are here ... to give you an idea: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2008/08/20/trip-report-lufthansa-first-to-europe-including-the-first-class-terminal-part-two/

A very nice flight experience, especially compared with the DH1 (deHavilland DASH-8 100 series aircraft) on which I earned my AC*SE (Air Canada's Aéroplan SuperÉlite top tier status) and all the regional BFE airports (I'll let you go to urbandictionary.com to look that one up yourself) like YXU (London, ON Canada) from which I regularly fly in and out!

[/glossary]

Scott.

:D

Scott,

That is interesting. We are LH fans but have been traveling coach when we figured we could take more vacations. These past two years we have flown LH either to or from Rome and in July will fly with them to MUC. We think their coach class is better than American, Continental, Delta, US Airways, United (and Air Tran although not a good comparison of a one hour flight). We only give a slight edge to SWISS.

Unless the rules and procedures have changed since last year, I don't think you will have any baggage issues. DDP and I flew award seats - only biz - not F..you lucky b#$@^& from RDU to Athens and then Istanbul back to RDU. Outbound was United thru Dulles to Frankfurt and then Luthansa on to Athens. The return was LH all the way to Dulles via Frankfurt then UA back home. Outbound we checked our luggage in RDU and didn't see it again until Athens. On the return we went through immigration and customs in Dulles and seems like we had to do some sort of immigration check in Frankfurt due to Sweargen or whatever that is....forgive me for being so dumb! Anyway, we were allowed more bags than we were taking since we were International Biz, that was true for our US flights too.

I have to vote that LH's biz product is much better than United's at that time...we did not have the lay flat seats on our UA flight so that mnight have made a difference. But overall, the LH service, food, ambiance, etc was much better....though I do wish all airlines would pipe the cockpit radio onto the entertainment system like UA does....made that 2 hour wait on the tarmac more enjoyable and educational!

Have a great trip....cross your fingers that we will be as lucky on May 11th as you were...thats when I hope to book Star Alliance award flights for our SA trip in March 2010. We are hoping to grab Air Canada since they seem to have the best biz product to Buenos Aires of the Alliance partners. What are your thoughts on AC's biz class?

Have a great trip....cross your fingers that we will be as lucky on May 11th as you were...thats when I hope to book Star Alliance award flights for our SA trip in March 2010. We are hoping to grab Air Canada since they seem to have the best biz product to Buenos Aires of the Alliance partners. What are your thoughts on AC's biz class?

Thanks! We flew an open jaw (YXU YYZ SCL stop SDU CGH transit GRU YYZ YXU) at Christmastide for our Amsterdam cruise. AC's J product (branded as Executive First) is decent enough. Certainly better than their North American peers imho. Ticketed as J (business class) versus F (first class), I'd say it is head and shoulders above it's NorAm peer group. The seats are the real star, the food is adequate, and service is dependent upon what crew you get. There are known issues with the Thales AVOD system (at seat audio and video) that are being addressed fleet-wide.

Service in and out of SCL / EZE was 763 this year, and GRU was via 773 during high season.

I find the pod seating is quite comfy, and great for a single traveller. I get it domestically travelling on business a lot as a/c are being moved between AC's hubs. For a couple travelling, because of the herringbone design, I'd book seats the are back to back (eg the middle row of AC's 77x) or across the aisle from each other (eg the A-D row on their 763.) There is a divider that can be lowered between the pods so you may chat easier. No real advantage to sitting at a window, as the angle of the seat makes you crane your head out.

You can check out a video here: http://www.aircanada.com/demos/execfirst/execfirst.html

Good luck snagging those seats. Following the advice of Flyer Talk, I snagged an ANA Mileage Club account (no cost to join) to have access to their Star Alliance booking tool so I could research all the itin options I could, and book based on reward seat availability.

Scott.

Thanks Scott - I too have gotten an ANA account but given how difficult it is to work through their system, I may just splurge on a ExpertFlyer membership.

Glad to hear your thoughts on the ExecutiveFirst product. While I don't look forward to flying a CRJ on the first leg from Raleigh, it appeared that for the long flight it would be much better than United which was our only other Star Alliance choice (unless we want to fly LH via Frankfurt<grin>)...unless we wait until Continental enters the picture in October.

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD: We have been able to book biz class award seats from RDU to Buenos Aires via Toronto on AirCanada

BAD: AirCanada has changed their evening flight time and it now arrives apparently too close to make a legal connection to the outbound so we arrive in Toronto before noon and don't depart until late nite. Any suggestions on another routing that might mean I could work that day?

WORSE: Apparently no award availbility in the biz class cabin for the return for preferred day or the day after. They are holding our resrevations for 3 days, and I am hoping something opens up...anyone have anyother suggestions? It it too bad that Continential isn't in *A yet....then we would have two airline options. Of course, the worse case scenairo is we confirm what we are holding now and if either AC or Continential opens up seats later we pay $150 apiece to snag them.

If any of you professionals have any thoughts on how to make the bad and worse news better I would love to hear them

BAD: AirCanada has changed their evening flight time and it now arrives apparently too close to make a legal connection to the outbound so we arrive in Toronto before noon and don't depart until late nite. Any suggestions on another routing that might mean I could work that day?

Punching in a random date in March 2010, I see that the 7pm departure on AC arrives at 8:53pm with a departure to EZE at 10pm. I guess AC feels that is too close.

You could look at departures at 2:40pm on UA through IAD, or 2:32pm on US through CLT. Both arrive between 6:30pm and 7pm. Now, whether there is award availability, I can't say. But those look like the latest you could leave RDU on a Star connection to YYZ and make the EZE flight (assuming you have to arrive in YYZ before the non-stop does).

WORSE: Apparently no award availbility in the biz class cabin for the return for preferred day or the day after. They are holding our resrevations for 3 days, and I am hoping something opens up...anyone have anyother suggestions?
Look at taking UA into IAD for the return. Perhaps not as nice as AC, but still better than BOB (back of bus) seating.

Best suggestion-Pop for the $5.00 per month Expertflyer subscription. Should show MOST availability to book your award tickets. Spend the time to get familiar with process. Takes about 5 minutes to sign up. And may offer "out of normal route" availability that wont show other places.

Tried, without success, to book award *A flights from the UK to Santiago (returning from Buenos Aires) for this December. Does anyone think any award seats (preferably business class) would become available or have we missed our chance?

Archived