VeenDam arrived in Ft. Lauderdale after her drydock!!

Hflors

Oh, my beloved S-ships. :( I'm glad I had one more chance to sail her as originally designed.

And so, too, with the Rotterdam next October/Nevember. Sad.

Thanks for the picture.

I can understand enlarging the Navigation/Lido decks.

What I don't have any info on is the Ducktail? What benefit does that give the ship?

Did they chop off the old stern face and extend all the interior decks? Or is it just a steel 'bubble' on the back end now to offset the weight of the new additions?

Did they move the propellers further back?

Uninformed minds want to know...

;)

I can understand enlarging the Navigation/Lido decks.

What I don't have any info on is the Ducktail? What benefit does that give the ship?

Did they chop off the old stern face and extend all the interior decks? Or is it just a steel 'bubble' on the back end now to offset the weight of the new additions?

;)

It's for fuel efficiency. See page 7 on this PFD: http://www.wartsila.com/Wartsila/global/docs/en/ship_power/energy-efficiency/energy-efficiency-ship-design.pdf

There are lots of drydock pictures on the Veendam blog:

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/

This photo shows the ducktail section being added:

ve-aft-section1.jpg

the caption mentions it being added because of the extra weight in the stern area.

....................What I don't have any info on is the Ducktail? What benefit does that give the ship?

;)

The ducktail was also needed to support the added extra weight to her stern

Thanks Wiley...that is an awesome photo! You certainly have a ringside seat at your house on the channel.

And, thanks again for the photos of the Good Nuts Cruise in February and our sailaway on the following cruise...wish I could buy them!

as part of a group of 10 couples from our active adult community in the beautiful Shenandoah valley. We do three days in Denali starting on the 19th and then head down to Seward for 7 days. So looking forward to it!

We'e not going on her until August but it's exciting to see all the lights and imagining what kind of fun will be had on her decks!!

I do have a dumb engineering question though.....I'm assuming the "ducktail" that you all talk about is right above the water line. Does it serve a purpose (stabilizing, etc.) or is it just to balance out the upper decks they added?

Thanks!

'I do have a dumb engineering question though.....I'm assuming the "ducktail" that you all talk about is right above the water line. Does it serve a purpose (stabilizing, etc.) or is it just to balance out the upper decks they added?"

:o Sorry, I didn't read the above posts...question answered!

First impressions of the Zuiderdam were not to good either. You don't hear them anymore. I think that if there are problems with the way the VEENDAM currently looks you might see some refinements on the other ships that are undergoing this transformation.

The Vista class may be boxy, but they have clean lines. The new aft addition makes the ship look very clumsy, however not as terrible as the Costa Marina looks, now that is one UGLY cruise ship!

The Vista class may be boxy, but they have clean lines. The new aft addition makes the ship look very clumsy, however not as terrible as the Costa Marina looks, now that is one UGLY cruise ship!

Ship+Photo+COSTA+MARINA.jpg

Yeah, that's not a day at the beach, that's fer sure:eek:

Ship+Photo+COSTA+MARINA.jpg

Ship+Photo+Costa+Marina.jpg

as part of a group of 10 couples from our active adult community in the beautiful Shenandoah valley. We do three days in Denali starting on the 19th and then head down to Seward for 7 days. So looking forward to it!

Kathy, we have a place in Bryce. Is that what you are talking about?

S.

Oh

My

Lord

You can't compare this with Costa Marina - That ship started out as a freighter and was converted into an ugly cruiseship.

Veendam started out as a beautiful ship and now it's been burdended with warts called the Spa addition, the Loft/Oasis and now this mess at the stern. I could live with the Ducktail, but the Deck 6 and 7 extensions are simply inexcusable.

You can darned well bet that these photos will never end up in a brochure, an advertisement or on the website - Nobody would book such a horrifically ugly ship!

The night photo is great! All of the lights are beautiful and I would rather be on that ship than reading about her new rear end. That being said, I agree that the line of the ship has certainly changed. At least she doesn't have the aft of the Princess ships, which look like she backed her big a** aft into a wall!

I always thought the back of Princess large ships looked like giant shopping carts. I alsways expect one of the kitchen staff to be on the pier trying to push the ship using the walkway for the cart handle.

I was hoping that the updated Veendam would look more like the attached image.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115963&d=1241330011

Well at least it is not as hideous as the NCL Epic. <br>

norwegian-epig.jpg

I dont see the "Cracker Barrel" sign!!!!!! And no Dairy Queen? What is this world coming to.

Kathy, we have a place in Bryce. Is that what you are talking about?

S.

We are 5 miles north of the Town of Front Royal halfway between Front Royal and Winchester on Rt 340/522. Exit 6 off I 66 Moved here from Ashburn in Jan 07.

We are 5 miles north of the Town of Front Royal halfway between Front Royal and Winchester on Rt 340/522. Exit 6 off I 66 Moved here from Ashburn in Jan 07.

Practically neighbors, then! We are in Cascades, and have a place at Bryce. We'll wave as we drive by! :-)

Archived