Dress code for restaurants

geneology

I am going on my first cruise and asked this question in another forum but was told to ask it here. I am going to Bermuda on NCL Dawn. I would like to know at night are skorts and capri's with nice shirts ok for dinner? DH and DS can they wear dockers and golf shirts to Dinner. And the teenage girl's want to wear shorts (not jean shorts) to dinner. I am trying to persuade them to wear skirts and capri's. Are flip flops allowed at dinner for them or do they need to be the fancy kind? Is this attire also allowed in the pay extra restaurants? I dont want to be under dressed :eek: over dressed is much better!! LOL :D Thank you.

I think that you are on track, except for the girls wearing shorts for dinner. The official rule is no shorts....but the enforcement will be variable. If the girls can handle being told "no" and going back to change, they could try shorts...but bring a back up outfit in case. I would think capri's for the girls will be fine and flip flops that look dressier than shower shoes will probably pass.

Resort casual is always welcomed at every dining room and restaurant for dinner on NCL. One of the dining rooms will allow jeans, the other won't. While shorts may be worn for breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms and restaurants, shorts are not welcomed for dinner, except in the buffet and Blue Lagoon.

Any shirt with a collar, and slacks is resort casual for men. Dresses, pants including capris, with a blouse is resort casual for women. Scandals are okay, but not the rubber flip flops.

• Administrators
I think that you are on track, except for the girls wearing shorts for dinner. The official rule is no shorts....but the enforcement will be variable. If the girls can handle being told "no" and going back to change, they could try shorts...but bring a back up outfit in case. I would think capri's for the girls will be fine and flip flops that look dressier than shower shoes will probably pass.

I agree. Capris/khakis/golf shirts -- all are fine on NCL. Shorts might, or might not, be (they aren't supposed to be at dinner, but most of us here have seen them often without a word being said). The pay extra restaurants have the same dress code as the main dining rooms (except that one main dining room should have a "no jeans" policy and no other restaurant onboard will). There, too, enforcement is spotty and up to the individual maitre'd's.

I am going on my first cruise and asked this question in another forum but was told to ask it here. I am going to Bermuda on NCL Dawn. I would like to know at night are skorts and capri's with nice shirts ok for dinner? DH and DS can they wear dockers and golf shirts to Dinner. And the teenage girl's want to wear shorts (not jean shorts) to dinner. I am trying to persuade them to wear skirts and capri's. Are flip flops allowed at dinner for them or do they need to be the fancy kind? Is this attire also allowed in the pay extra restaurants? I dont want to be under dressed :eek: over dressed is much better!! LOL :D Thank you.

Golf shirts and Dockers good. Skorts questionable; I'd rather not try it. Shorts for the girls; I would not try that either.

You are right, over dressed is better than under dressed.

I would not try flip flops either; there are plenty of strappy sandals out there that would fit the bill.

Enjoy your first cruise! Mine was the best.

Oh, and bring sweaters for all the females. The guys too if they are cold natured. The air conditioning I have found is set to frigid inside and the breezes are chilly outside in the evening.

Resort casual is always welcomed at every dining room and restaurant for dinner on NCL. One of the dining rooms will allow jeans, the other won't. While shorts may be worn for breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms and restaurants, shorts are not welcomed for dinner, except in the buffet and Blue Lagoon.

Any shirt with a collar, and slacks is resort casual for men. Dresses, pants including capris, with a blouse is resort casual for women. Scandals are okay, but not the rubber flip flops.

My question on dressing for dinner would be... Since this is a cruise to Bermuda or at least that is what I am referring..... why would Bermuda Shorts for men not be proper dress pants....? I understand that in Bermuda men are considered dressed properly with a sport coat and nice bermuda shorts... The ship is in Bermuda several days... and sails nowhere else on most Bermuda Cruises...but to Bermuda....:)

My question on dressing for dinner would be... Since this is a cruise to Bermuda or at least that is what I am referring..... why would Bermuda Shorts for men not be proper dress pants....? I understand that in Bermuda men are considered dressed properly with a sport coat and nice bermuda shorts... The ship is in Bermuda several days... and sails nowhere else on most Bermuda Cruises...but to Bermuda....:)

Only because they specifically say no shorts...... And Bermuda shorts with knee socks and sports coat is proper. At that point, I'd think you'd rather just wear pants......

NCL used to allow Bermuda shorts and Kilts, both with knee high socks, on ships sailing to Bermuda. But the rules were changed last year. I guess too many men tried to wear them without knee high socks. :eek:

Here's the NCL rules today from NCL's FAQ:

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner?

Do people dress up at night?

Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Who knows if it is okay or not until someone tries it on a trip to Bermuda, and reports what happened here?

Thank you all for your input. I will put my foot down with the girl's and not allow shorts and the flip flops to dinner. If they complain then they can order room service and miss some nice dinners with the family!! LOL

If the men dress like this while in Bermuda, I'm sure they will be allowed in the dining room.

CG

shorts.jpg.c892716cdad09e81277f2543c104a892.jpg

Did the OP mean shorts or skirts. It could go either way with just the change of one letter.

DT

If the men dress like this while in Bermuda, I'm sure they will be allowed in the dining room.

CG

A comic on a recent Bermuda cruise once quipped that Bermuda businessmen look like "giant Sunday school boys." :D

It is the other way round jeans are acceptable in all but one restaurant, usualy the larger of the main dining rooms.

Should be no problem. The Dining NCL website states "No Dress Code". See attached graphic.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleDining

ncl.jpg.d8e99ae711c366ea7646d72c87a93744.jpg

Should be no problem. The Dining NCL website states "No Dress Code". See attached graphic.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleDining

And this is what that page says for dinner:

When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that.

Kids under 12..... The OP has more than one teen girls.....

It is the other way round jeans are acceptable in all but one restaurant, usualy the larger of the main dining rooms.

As I read that quote you cited, it says jeans are allowed in ONE of the main dining rooms only which is correct. Yes they are allowed in all other dining venues.

Personally, I have never been asked to change... and I've pushed the boundaries a couple of times. I even wore jeans to dinner on carnival's formal night without incident. I personally think that as long as you are respectful and it doesn't bother other patrons, most things will slide without issue.

And this is what that page says for dinner:

When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that.

Kids under 12..... The OP has more than one teen girls.....

Is this similar to a gas station advertising $1.99 gas in 12" high letters and then you drive up to the pump and find out that gas is $2.20 with a credit card??????????

Please explain what the words "No dress code" mean.

Is this similar to a gas station advertising $1.99 gas in 12" high letters and then you drive up to the pump and find out that gas is $2.20 with a credit card??????????

I just read and posted the printed text below the image. Always read the fine print....

In this case the print isn't so fine.....

So NCL is similarly fraudulent because the top paragraph says "eat whenever you want" and Cagney's is not open at 5:00 a.m.?

Here is the NCL dress code from the NCL website:

Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

But my question is I have 2 kids 12 and under but my son looks more like 15 as he is quite tall -- he doesn't want to wear pants at night and according to the above NCL dress code rules, he should be allowed to wear shorts at night -- but I am afraid since he looks older than 12. I think I'm packing both nice shorts for him and cargo pants for him -- that way he maybe can wear pants a couple of nights to dining room and shorts on other nights after I see what everyone else is wearing...First night usually most cruise lines have relaxed dress code as not everyone has their luggage yet/unpacked etc.

Here is the NCL dress code from the NCL website:

Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

But my question is I have 2 kids 12 and under but my son looks more like 15 as he is quite tall -- he doesn't want to wear pants at night and according to the above NCL dress code rules, he should be allowed to wear shorts at night -- but I am afraid since he looks older than 12. I think I'm packing both nice shorts for him and cargo pants for him -- that way he maybe can wear pants a couple of nights to dining room and shorts on other nights after I see what everyone else is wearing...First night usually most cruise lines have relaxed dress code as not everyone has their luggage yet/unpacked etc.

If he is 12 and is wearing nice shorts, if a host/hostess asks, just tell them that. I think he'll be fine as he is conforming to the rule as written.

Did the OP mean shorts or skirts. It could go either way with just the change of one letter.

DT

It was spelled right it is a skort -- it is a skirt with built in shorts underneath.

Archived