RevNeal - LIVE from the Ryndam & Amsterdam

RevNeal

Absolutely Beautiful pictures!!! Thank you for sharing them! We will be on the Ryndam in 2 weeks. I hope we have clear blue skies while in Alaska! Last time we were there, we had snow, ice and rain in most ports with some little sunshine in Ketchikan.

Beverly

I am Joan from Baltimore who introduced myself when you were trying to get a picture taken by your mother. I volunteered Jane, my daughter. I am really enjoying your pictures. this was my fourth Alaska cruise and we hit the jackpot on this one with the wildlife, weather and air. I was so happy for my daughter and sil on their first. I havent seen her pictures since she was laid off April 15th and has been working hard to find another job. Glacier Bay was wonderful and I even saw whales from the ship. I was hesitant to take the HAL photo safari & hike in Mendenhal because it was marked moderate but decided to join them. we were on a boat with 14 passengers and a photo expert together with the pilot and an intern. Fortunately there were tolerant photographers onboard. we saw male humpbacks(mamas & kids still coming up from Hawaii) around Douglas Island and the guy driving the boat(capt or Pilot) had announced it and two more larger boats showed up. then the 14 passengers and 2 pros got into a mini van to Mendenall Glacier. At the drop off point a park ranger told us of the sleeping bear in the tree! since there were no leaves yet he was easy to see(have to see if Jane got it) then the hike. In Ketchikan we flew with Michelle of Island wings in her 7 passenger plane. It was quite different than the MISTY Fjords rainy foggy flight in 1992. It was sunny and we flew into a narrow fjord and landed on a beach. This was a worthwhile excursion. she has been mentioned under destinations. we had scheduled the extension up to the glaciers but she thought too windy so didn't go. I dont argue with pilots. I came home exhausted but did read up to #91 onthis blog. I am getting better . guess I shouldn't try to keep up with my family. I will be 75 in August but I go to Alaska not for relaxing. I want to see & do everything. I hope your mother is feeling better. Thanks so much for your blog. joan from Baltimore

And now I know for certain that I don't want that cabin; although the view from the bed must be gorgeous to wake up to.
No View to wake up to - unless you've gotten up earlier (after dawn) and opened the shades. Due the proximity of the Bridge, those cabins are REQUIRED to keep the shades drawn at night, so there is NO light contamination from them that will affect the vision of the Bridge officers.

My (IDIOT) half-sisters had the cabin next door on one cruise. They found out the Bridge was serious about that.

No View to wake up to - unless you've gotten up earlier (after dawn) and opened the shades. Due the proximity of the Bridge, those cabins are REQUIRED to keep the shades drawn at night, so there is NO light contamination from them that will affect the vision of the Bridge officers.

Another reason not to want that cabin, then! :) I did notice that the shades were different from the curtains in other cabins.

But if I ever found myself assigned to it, for whatever reason, I'm sure I would open the shades before I went to bed for the night---at least if I were in someplace like Alaska, or Antarctica. Betting there would be enough residual light to be able to climb into bed.

Greetings from Ketchikan (again!)

Well, we had a few problems with the internet while up at Hubbard Glacier. It wasn't always down, but it was definitely not a good connection .... not good enough to upload photos, at any rate. And, so, I didn't even try to run an upload.

Hubbard Glacier was fantastic! The morning was foggy during our approach to the bay where the glacier is located, but as we sailed into visual range of the glacier -- in the very far distance -- we sailed out of the fog and into a clear blue sky with crisp air. The wind was bitterly cold, but as we approached the captain eased up on our speed and the conditions out on deck became more tolerable. During this period Mom and I kept popping outside on our forward deck for a look and a few photos, but then we would retreat to the warmth of our cabin and enjoy he view from there. It was the approach to Hubbard that truly gave this forward-looking Verandah-deck cabin it's greatest worth. It was easy to sit indoors and watch the approach, and then so simple to just step out into the hall and then outside to take photos of our approach.

hubglac01.jpg

As we approached our fellow passengers began to appear on the bow in larger and larger numbers. Most were attired for the cold conditions, but a few nut cases were outside in nothing but shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops! There are always a few. Sadly, there was even a young couple with a toddler whom they were having walk to them across the slippery and HARD deck. The wind was biting cold and this child was attired in little more than pajamas pajamas! Poor baby! (I'll refrain from posting a picture of this here). However, for the most part people were all bundled up against the cold, and it truly was cold despite the bright sunshine. The temperatures, without windchill, were about 45 degrees, but the windchill generated by the ship's approach made it feel quite a bit colder.

hubglac02.jpg

In the distance the glacier loomed, inviting our approach. Between it and us, however, was a field of ice! This ice was, as we discovered as we grew closer, mostly chopped up bergie-bits ... nothing that would really cause the Amsterdam any problem. Still, we had to be careful as we approached and I was thankful that we had not only a highly experienced captain but also a Park Ranger who knew the ice-pack conditions. Meanwhile, Mom and I enjoyed our view from the forward Verandah Deck.

hubglac03.jpg

hubglac04.jpg

As we cruised in and among the bergie-bits, the captain had to maneuver very slowly and very carefully around ever larger and larger ice cubes, meanwhile some of our fellow passengers were having visions of Titanic!

hubglac05.jpg

As you can see in the above photo, some of the "bits" were actually rather large. All-in-all, I found the experience reminiscent of cruising in Antarctica ... though neither on the scale nor the extreme of that experience.

Continued ....

hubglac06.jpg

As we approach Hubbard Glacier the ice field began to thin out a bit, only tobe replaced by larger chunks and an actual ice pack which could be seen to be blocking our approach.

hubglac07.jpg

Around us, snow and ice covered glacially-carved rock faces bespoke of the power and majesty of the ice.

hubglac08.jpg

Meanwhile, the ms Amsterdam continued to slowly inch her way toward Hubbard, hoping upon hope that we might be able to get close enough to watch calving in action.

hubglac09.jpg

Sadly, this is as close as we got. It'll be another week or two before the ice pack breaks up enough to allow ships to get right up close to the glacier.

hubglac10.jpg

Even though we were not able to sit off the glacier for an hour and watch ice shelves fall over of it, the day was still spectacular and memorable ... a reasonable alternative to Glacier Bay.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your trip with us, Greg. I do hope your mother will soon be feeling much better. Our very first cruise was northbound on the Ryndam two years ago - your wonderful pictures bring back so many great Alaskan memories, although you are having much better weather than we had at the beginning of July!

Please pass on our good wishes to Bill and Virginia - hopefully you will remember us from the Euromast dinner and sailaway party on Brian's verandah on the Eurodam last summer. In September we are going on a 10 day Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam - we can't wait!

Cheryl and Peter

Certainly I remember you! It's good to hear from you, and thanks! Yes, it's been a great cruise and Mom and I are doing well. It took her a bit to get her sea legs, but then she was fine.

Greg, I like the lay out of the cabin, although it appears it would work better for shorter people like Tom and I ;) Those windows would be great but alas I have to admit I doubt I could stand to have a forward cabin in rough seas. :o While I no longer get sea sick, I truly have my sea legs I would not want to push it ;)

It was, indeed, a bouncy ride north in the outside passage (i.e, on the open Pacific Ocean, off the Continental Shelf). However, it wasn't THAT bad and the views from the windows themselves, and the ease of accessing the forward Verandah observation deck make up for the bouncy ride. I'm not sure I'd pick this cabin, or any other cabin forward of the forward elevators, for a deep sea voyage or a transoceanic crossing. I don't mind being in the back so much, even though it can be rough, but in the front the "feel" is different.

On a cruise like this, however, or on a shore hugging cruise like a Mexican Riviera Cruise, I think a cabin like this is perfectly fine. At least, that's true for me. :)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all your beautiful pictures and commentary it has been great to see that you have some wonderful weather! You didn't mention how you liked Cabin 421 on the Ryndam? I am most curious?! I know it is not everyone's fav, but I just love the location and size....Have a great rest of the cruise!

I love 421 and it's on my list for possible future bookings if it happens to be available. I liked the ease of access to the outside promenade, and the rear-facing view. I also liked the width of the cabin, which was significantly greater than a regular outside cabin. That width, combined with the view and the ease of outside access, makes it a high pick for me even given the aft location and it's "rough" nature.

I will still always be partial to a mid-ship's cabin -- due to it's smoother ride and equidistant walk to all sites aboard -- but there are advantages to being forward or aft, depending upon the nature of the cruise.

Greg, something in some of the other threads prompted me to wonder---and you know how I am when that happens! I ask questions! :D

Do you have any info on the "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover", no, that's not it. Er, "Fifty Ways to Eat Your Salmon"? Yeah, that's it.

There's supposed to be 50 (cruiselong) different selections of salmon on the Alaska cruises this year. have you tried any of them? How are they?

Come to think of it, I don't ever remember seeing you order salmon. Do you eat it? Fresh?. Frozen? Smoked? With a bagel and cream cheese?

Whatever.... How is it on the ship?

Yes, they have multiple offerings of Salmon at every dinner. It's on the menu page with the "available everyday" items and in place of the Chef's "Recommendations." Mother has eaten from it a few times last cruise and this cruise, and her general remark was that it was good but she didn't rave about any of the selections. There are two different Salmon offerings in that section, and they're different every night.

I do not eat Salmon. Oh, I've eaten it once or twice, as an appetizer (in the Pinnacle Grill) and as a steak in Chilie on a shore excursion when that was the only entree offered (and I enjoyed it). But, I'm not much of a fish-eater. For fish eating, talk to Christopher.

What shore operator did you use in Juneau for whale watching? I was thinking of pre-booking something, but we are traveling with kids and a great deal will depend on weather conditions that day. Taking the tramway to the top of the mountain could be fun also! Looking forward to the rest of your report.

One can use the ship's arranged shore excursion and not go wrong ... however, Mom and I decided to save a little money and use one of the offerings found at the kiosks found just off the gangway ashore: Dolphin Tours. If you want more info you can e-mail me off the board (I don't want a post pulled).

Waiting to book when we walked ashore was a good option, and in Alaska it's an excellent option for most of these ports.

My (IDIOT) half-sisters had the cabin next door on one cruise. They found out the Bridge was serious about that.

Correct. And, given that sun up is about 4:30 am up here this time of year, you WANT those blinds closed! But, it wasn't bad ... nor hard ... to crank open the blinds at least part of the way upon getting up to go potty around 6 am. :) It made it easier to wake the rest of the way up in time for breakfast in the main dining room.

Another reason not to want that cabin, then! :) I did notice that the shades were different from the curtains in other cabins.

But if I ever found myself assigned to it, for whatever reason, I'm sure I would open the shades before I went to bed for the night---at least if I were in someplace like Alaska, or Antarctica. Betting there would be enough residual light to be able to climb into bed.

That's not a bad idea, and it would probably work for Alaska or Antarctica. However, keep in mind that the sun rises EARLY up here! Sun up this morning was 4:30 am! :eek: I'm not sure I want the sun to awaken me THAT early. And neither do you ... not after closing down the Piano Bar the night before. :D

Thanks.

I took these photos with my trusty old Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom with a polarizing filter.

That polarizing filter can make all the difference! That is one probably the only thing that I miss going to an advanced point and shoot digital- no ability to put on a polarizing filter. However, it weighs so much less than an SLR and takes up so much less space that I will probably stick with my Lumix.

I'll have photographs from Sitka to share ... I need to download them from the camera and make some selections for posting here, but I have this afternoon to do that. Sitka was great. It was my "new port" on this cruise, and I enjoyed it immensely. I look forward to coming back to that city for more tours, etc. It feels like "quintessential Alaska." :D

Right now we're docked in Ketchikan. It's rainy, but not solidly-so. Still, this seems to be "normal" for the city. We didn't do anything here today. We docked this morning at 7 am and I disembarked a little later to do a little shopping while mother enjoyed a lazy morning with breakfast in bed. :D

We depart Ketchikan, after only a half-day here, at 1 pm. All aboard is at 12:30. A short day like this makes for a hectic schedule, and I must say it also makes for a quiet ship. :D I like a quiet ship, with everybody else off.

At 2 pm today Mom and I will attend a Wine-Tasting in the Pinnacle Grill; then, tonight, it's the Master Chef Disaster. One of the disadvantages to doing two separate cruises is that one has to endure two of those events. I feel sorry for the waiters, who trained to serve as waiters and shouldn't be forced to humiliate themselves by juggling vegetables and dancing. Mom and I gave thought to evacuating to the Pinnacle Grill for tonight, but sadly it's booked solid. We could try Canalletto -- which, yes, is new on the Amsterdam! But, it's also booked solid. So ... we're stuck (unless we want to go to the Lido, something I prefer not to do). Oh, well ... soon it will be TV dinners and Subway sandwiches for dinner; all things in perspective. :D

Rev Neal, add my thanks to all the others for letting us cruise with you and your Mom. HAL should let you sail for free because of the wonderful photos. In addition to the beautiful ship pictures, the one of the wake made my heart leap. And thanks for sharing Cees Tesselaar's good news about the retrofits!

You're probably packing today, which is always a sad task. Thanks again for sharing your memories, and hugs to your sweet mother.

Mrs Muir

That's not a bad idea, and it would probably work for Alaska or Antarctica. However, keep in mind that the sun rises EARLY up here! Sun up this morning was 4:30 am! :eek: I'm not sure I want the sun to awaken me THAT early. And neither do you ... not after closing down the Piano Bar the night before. :D

I'm ok with the sun. It's not like I have my shades drawn at home. The sun comes in, but it doesn't wake me.

Remember, I'm the one who could sleep through the Second Coming.

Nice chatting with you. Thanks for checking in with those gorgeous photos! One of the down-sides of going to Alaska this early is that you can't get close enough to Hubbard, and there isn't much calving, anyway. It's still too cold. :(

Have a great last day sailing.

If you have time to answer this.....How many people were on the whale watch with you or should I say, how many people would the boat hold? I'm always interested in companies I haven't used since I might want to use them in the future.

Sitka

Sitka was a new port for me, and I had a wonderful time there. It was a nice day, and although we didn't have any sun we also didn't have any rain. The air was cold and damp, but it was still and so there wasn't much, if any, biting chill. We dropped anchor at 7 am and tender operations began at 7:30 am, however Mom and I didn't make our way ashore until 11:30, in time for our shore excursion at 12:30 pm. Prior to disembarking, after breakfast in the Lido, I took a few minutes to take a few photos of the lovely city and the surrounding islands.

sitka01.jpg

sitka02.jpg

sitka03.jpg

sitka04.jpg

sitka05.jpg

CONTINUED ...

Archived