RevNeal - LIVE from the Ryndam & Amsterdam

RevNeal

Greg, so on the Amsterdam they held this on Thursday. Was this also a Formal night? Which normally for this itinerary it is. If it was what a terrible way to ruin Formal Night.

Sorry I absolutely hate this Master Chef fiasco.

Actually, at least on this sailing of the Amsterdam our second formal night was the evening we left Sitka. I think they decided to not spoil formal night by doing it that way, however it was very inconvenient to have a Formal Night on a port with a 4:30 pm departure. I heard quite a few people in the earlier dining time grumbling about it.

I don't want to say this too loud but I think HAL needs to fire Chef Rudi. All his specialties stink in my personal opinion and I always find things I enjoy eating on the HAL menu but this Master Chef dinner night is far more limited to my liking and especially Tom's liking. We had not planned to go to the Pinnacle for this cruise at least for dinner we were planning lunch Glacier Bay Day. But if there is a Chef's Dinner you can bet we will be at the Pinnacle. ;)

They have added the Canaletto to the Amsterdam ... if they've added it to the Westerdam, too, that would be another viable alternative. Just some "food" for thought.

As for Rudi ... I couldn't agree more. It's not so much the limited menu -- which I do dislike -- it's also the fact that it forces the Indonesian and Filipino Staff to do the stupid "song and dance" nonsense, something for which they are not trained. They're trained as waiters ... GOOD ones ... not entertainers. Most of those with whom I've talked have told me, often quietly so-as to not be overheard by higher-ups, that they absolutely hate doing it, too.

As for Rudi ... I couldn't agree more. It's not so much the limited menu -- which I do dislike -- it's also the fact that it forces the Indonesian and Filipino Staff to do the stupid "song and dance" nonsense, something for which they are not trained. They're trained as waiters ... GOOD ones ... not entertainers. Most of those with whom I've talked have told me, often quietly so-as to not be overheard by higher-ups, that they absolutely hate doing it, too.

I think (hope) the song-and-dance thing gets phased out. If they're not enjoying it, that will show through and the passengers will know they're not enjoying it. This makes them not enjoy it, either. So, if no one's enjoying it (or, if everyone is mildly embarrassed at least) - I wonder if it's working its way onto the comment cards at the end of the voyage?

Might be time for a change...

Rev Greg,

Thanks for the great reviews you always post. I ws just wondering as to why alot of people cant stand the Master Chef's dinner? What is so bad about this that seems to irk everyone?:confused:

Jerry

Thanks for the great reviews you always post. I ws just wondering as to why alot of people cant stand the Master Chef's dinner? What is so bad about this that seems to irk everyone?:confused:

Jerry, HAL has long marketed themselves as a Premium Cruise Line with an elegant, upscale dining room -- think: table linens, Rosenthal China and silverware in formal place settings, candles and flower arrangements on the table, formal waiters and formal table service. The song-and-dance whoop-ta-doo that is involved in the Master Chef dinner runs contrary to the atmosphere HAL has tried to create in the room. The staff is required to engage in dancing and singing and the juggling of fruit during several inane songs that are designed to break up the table service into sections (or "Acts"). While they're good natured people, and many have talent for entertainment, they are trained waiters, NOT singers, dancers, or jugglers. I feel sorry for them, being forced to do this every week, and in conversations with many of them they usually admit that they hate it and would rather just do their jobs.

Additionally, an already limited menu is made even more limited with poor choices, most heavy in mushrooms, and a "salad" that consists of a few leaves of lettuce stuffed into the top a small, watery tomato. For dinner I am relegated to a boiled piece of beef, because just about everything else on the menu is either inedible or not interesting or so laced with chunks or moose of mushroom that I can't tolerate it. The "Available Every Night" items aren't available, and there's not much else to eat. The last 3 times I've been to the thing I've ended up going to the Lido for the Late Night Snack. I've NEVER needed to do that before.

I think (hope) the song-and-dance thing gets phased out. If they're not enjoying it, that will show through and the passengers will know they're not enjoying it. This makes them not enjoy it, either. So, if no one's enjoying it (or, if everyone is mildly embarrassed at least) - I wonder if it's working its way onto the comment cards at the end of the voyage?

My dislike of it has been on each and every comment card every cruise since it first made an appearance in 2006. I've managed to avoid it on several cruises by eating in the Pinnacle, but otherwise I've gone and tried to have as good of time as possible.

The last 3 times I've been to the thing I've ended up going to the Lido for the Late Night Snack. I've NEVER needed to do that before.

My dislike of it has been on each and every comment card every cruise since it first made an appearance in 2006. I've managed to avoid it on several cruises by eating in the Pinnacle, but otherwise I've gone and tried to have as good of time as possible.

Greg, Tom also ends up getting something in the Lido later that night. I too have complained on every comment card and instead of it disappearing it keeps popping up on more sailings:( I must say that everything that night is not great at all even down to the dessert.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and hoped it had improved when we were on the Statendam. Oh how we wish we would have gone to the Pinnacle :o

I don't remember Chef's night on Zuiderdam Nov. 2007 and on Oosterdam in Dec. 2008 we ate several meals in our suite, so I don't think I've been to one of them.

Lisa, let us know if there is a Master Chef's night on Westerdam. Mom and I are waiting until she is better and then we are booking Westerdam Sept. 6

Hi Greg - John & I just finished reading thru your Alaskan adventures with Mom. Seems like you 2 had a really great time. We just LOVED all your pix! Thanks.

Thanks too for the preview. We're headed that way in September, also on Ryndam. Haven't been on one of the smaller ships since our beloved Veendam in 2001. We do the land-tour first, then cruise SB from Seward, but stop at many of the same ports.

John & I are looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos over the summer. What a way to anticipate & build excitement for our own trip!

Glad you're home safe & sound. :)

Hi Greg - John & I just finished reading thru your Alaskan adventures with Mom. Seems like you 2 had a really great time. We just LOVED all your pix! Thanks.

Thanks too for the preview. We're headed that way in September, also on Ryndam. Haven't been on one of the smaller ships since our beloved Veendam in 2001. We do the land-tour first, then cruise SB from Seward, but stop at many of the same ports.

John & I are looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos over the summer. What a way to anticipate & build excitement for our own trip!

Glad you're home safe & sound. :)

Thank you both! While it's certainly not on my radar right now, someday I'll enjoy doing that land-tour with the south-bound cruise. :)

I'm sure y'all have a great time!

The Ryndam is a great ship.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and hoped it had improved when we were on the Statendam. Oh how we wish we would have gone to the Pinnacle :o

We have never experienced the Master Chef's dinner, nor do we ever plan to. We went to the Pinnacle Grill the two weeks we were on the Veendam last summer. This summer we'll be sailing north on the Ryndam and south on the Statendam. Our plan is to make reservations for the Pinnacle right after embarkation for the night of the Master Chef's Dinner. Since we are dining AYW it won't matter to us if it's on the last night since we won't need to say goodbye to table mates or waiters that evening.

This is one thing about HAL that surprised us. It seems so out of character for a line that has as much class as this line. I'd like to see it disappear (along with the Baked Alaska Parade).

BTW, LISA, how is your video going? Will you get it finished before you sail to Alaska?

GREG--I've been reading your posts even though I haven't posted until now on this thread. Your pictures are great and I can hardly wait until we sail--less than four weeks to go.

Rev Neal, loved your ongoing cruise saga. We were cruising about the same time.

I missed the last night on Westerdam. I was sick, but Jim doesn't think they did the chef's dinner. He knows there was no baked Alaska parade any night.

We also had a beautiful day in Glacier Bay.

n1458365232_30330164_2584948.jpgn1458365232_30330165_8186398.jpg4333_1134942781271_1458365232_30330162_2698566_n.jpgphoto.php?pid=30330165&id=1458365232

BTW, LISA, how is your video going? Will you get it finished before you sail to Alaska?

I was ready to tape the video when I was told by an inside source at HAL that they would not even look at it if I sent it in because they do not feel they will need to be hiring any FCC's till 2011 :( It seems that they still have two FCC people that went thru Training 6 months ago and stilll have no ship or contract. But obviously I plan to keep in touch with the source and if anything should change. In the mean time it is back to square one in figuring out what I am going to do when I grow up. Since what I have done over the past 30 years barely exists.

I was ready to tape the video when I was told by an inside source at HAL that they would not even look at it if I sent it in because they do not feel they will need to be hiring any FCC's till 2011 :( It seems that they still have two FCC people that went thru Training 6 months ago and stilll have no ship or contract. But obviously I plan to keep in touch with the source and if anything should change. In the mean time it is back to square one in figuring out what I am going to do when I grow up. Since what I have done over the past 30 years barely exists.

Bummer!

I know it's not the best of times for travel agents, but have you considered that? It would certainly be good experience for a future FCC (an FFCC?) and I have a feeling that is something you would be very good at. I'm sure something will come your way. In the meantime at least you are heading to Alaska very soon--our favorite cruise destination.

Bummer!

I know it's not the best of times for travel agents, but have you considered that? It would certainly be good experience for a future FCC (an FFCC?) and I have a feeling that is something you would be very good at. I'm sure something will come your way. In the meantime at least you are heading to Alaska very soon--our favorite cruise destination.

Actually that will be my next push and contacting all of them here in Las Vegas once I get home. I know that the pay would not be great but it would be something I would love doing and to me that is what I feel really counts. If I change careers I want it to be something I will enjoy doing and not dread going to work :)

Lisa, with all your cruise experience, you could sell yourself to a Travel Group as a cruise expert. There are travel agents that specialize in cruises. I have a friend who is a TA and she's always going on special deal cruises with the TA agency.

The problem with becoming a TA is that agencies want agents who bring a client base with them. I've had this experience personally. I completed a travel agent course, passed The Travel Institute's Travel Agent Proficiency Exam ... the whole nine yards. Haven't found anyone yet who wants me. Better luck to you, Lisa, if that's the way you choose to go.

To Rev Neal and all the other contributors...what a tremendous thread. Although I tuned in late (but quickly got caught up) I must commend all of the regulars for their questions and Rev for his timely answers. The pictures were worth the million words I have heard about. I thank all of you for the entertainment.

I still have not been, nor do I have an interest in Alaska via a cruise. Each shot with the coats, hats and long pants convinced me that it is not for me, but I can still enjoy it vicariously. I still hope to take a motorcycle trip to Alaska as soon as my summer schedule and budget will allow.

Concerning the Master Chef dinner I have read on many threads and would like to make the following observation. Although I have only been on 3 HAL cruises (which I thoroughly enjoyed) I cruise on all the major lines (HAL Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, RCCL and NCL) with Celebrity being my favorite. Each line has a group of loyal cruisers that really only will consider that line. I believe that many of you fall into the loyal HAL group. You are cruising HAL as long as HAL is cruising! The line needs to interest those of us that are true to other lines and those that sample all (like me). I have enjoyed the Master Chef dinner on each of my HAL cruises. I do NOT remember the food offerings from any of my cruises but I am sure that they filled the plates and our bellies. The entertainment, while corny, was enjoyed by me, my wife and our table mates. That I remember and smile when I look at the pics.

HAL is looking to fill its' ships and unfortunately they need to appeal to a wider group than just the purists. I am not saying this with any negativity and only ask for tolerance so that the line will stay viable.

Hoping to see you all on a future cruise but I guess I won't see you at the Master Chef's dinner. FWIW I gave HAL high dining marks and service ratings on all my comment cards and mentioned positvely the Master Chef dinner.

Thanks again Rev for the wonderful thread and the time and effort it took to keep this thread alive...you are the greatest!

The song-and-dance whoop-ta-doo that is involved in the Master Chef dinner runs contrary to the atmosphere HAL has tried to create in the room.

Is the Master Chef dinner only held in the Traditional fixed dining room?...We ate in the Anytime open dining room on our last HAL cruise and there was no Master Chef dinner when we were there.

You probably had the Master Chef menu and course offerings even if you had the hoopla. Last year I ate at the open dining and they had it on that night. You needed reservations even for the open dining. I ate in the Lido that night.

To Rev Neal and all the other contributors...what a tremendous thread. Although I tuned in late (but quickly got caught up) I must commend all of the regulars for their questions and Rev for his timely answers. The pictures were worth the million words I have heard about. I thank all of you for the entertainment.

I still have not been, nor do I have an interest in Alaska via a cruise. Each shot with the coats, hats and long pants convinced me that it is not for me, but I can still enjoy it vicariously. I still hope to take a motorcycle trip to Alaska as soon as my summer schedule and budget will allow.

Concerning the Master Chef dinner I have read on many threads and would like to make the following observation. Although I have only been on 3 HAL cruises (which I thoroughly enjoyed) I cruise on all the major lines (HAL Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, RCCL and NCL) with Celebrity being my favorite. Each line has a group of loyal cruisers that really only will consider that line. I believe that many of you fall into the loyal HAL group. You are cruising HAL as long as HAL is cruising! The line needs to interest those of us that are true to other lines and those that sample all (like me). I have enjoyed the Master Chef dinner on each of my HAL cruises. I do NOT remember the food offerings from any of my cruises but I am sure that they filled the plates and our bellies. The entertainment, while corny, was enjoyed by me, my wife and our table mates. That I remember and smile when I look at the pics.

HAL is looking to fill its' ships and unfortunately they need to appeal to a wider group than just the purists. I am not saying this with any negativity and only ask for tolerance so that the line will stay viable.

Hoping to see you all on a future cruise but I guess I won't see you at the Master Chef's dinner. FWIW I gave HAL high dining marks and service ratings on all my comment cards and mentioned positvely the Master Chef dinner.

Thanks again Rev for the wonderful thread and the time and effort it took to keep this thread alive...you are the greatest!

Thank you, Thom, for your kind words and for your input and perspective. I agree with you that HAL must stay viable and must continue to attract more and more people who have not been, and even won't be, HAL "loyalists." I am aware that there are simply not enough of us "loyalists" (either actual or potential) to fill 13 (soon to be 14) ships every sailing of the year. I think we realize this fact. However, most of us tend to think that there may be other ways of attracting people to HAL than by lowering the standards of atmosphere, food and service on a single night so as to put on a "corny" whoop-ta-doo in an attempt to gin up a festival atmosphere. HAL has been able to generate perfectly festive evenings without this kind of folderol in the past. As it is, this "show" now takes away from the other kinds of presentations (desert and otherwise) that the Line would have on various cruises (some specific to the itineraries). It also took away from the traditional Indonesian Farewell song that the staff gathers on the stairs to do on the last night of the cruise.

As for your unwillingness to take an Alaska Cruise due to the cold weather ... come on! It's worth the effort! :) It wouldn't hurt you that much to break out of your comfort zone for just a little bit and to wear long pants and a coat to ward off the cold (if not to conform to a dress code.) :D ;)

Rev Neal, loved your ongoing cruise saga. We were cruising about the same time.

I missed the last night on Westerdam. I was sick, but Jim doesn't think they did the chef's dinner. He knows there was no baked Alaska parade any night.

Thank you for posting your photos! they are very nice, indeed! You had the same kind of weather as we did.

We "saw" you, from a distance, while we were aboard the Ryndam in Glacier Bay. The Westerdam crossed in front of us on her way to Johns Hopkins Glacier while we were maneuvering to leave the bay altogether. I've got a picture of the Westerdam somewhere in my collection ... I'll find it and process and post it for you on this thread, if you like. I took it from the Lido deck pool-side dining area, through windows, so it's not a great shot (I was eating a bit of late lunch).

No Baked Alaska in Alaska??? Of all places, if HAL is going to put on that tired old presentation, Alaska is the place they should do it ... and do it well. Sadly, we also didn't have one on the Ryndam. The Dessert was served -- as just about the only option -- on the evening of the Master Chef Dinner, but there was no parade of it ... it simply appeared. There WAS a parade on the Amsterdam, but it was more of an awkward addition to the Master Chef "show." They didn't play the normal music with it, didn't lower the lights, but they did hand out glow wands. It was "ok," just not up to par with past experiences. And I've never been a lover of the Baked Alaska Parade or of Baked Alaska as it is served aboard ships (the Meringue is never done and I only get Vanilla and Strawberry Ice Cream ... never any of the Chocolate that is supposed to be there).

:D

Rev Neal, You mentioned earlier that you would have picked 6100 over 6102. Did you or the occupant take any pictures of that cabin?:)

Yes. I asked our Cabin Steward if I could get a peek and take a couple of photos one day while he was cleaning, and he did. I'll post them when I get the chance. I've not yet begun the process to prepare the large portion of my photos for posting in galleries. I will be doing that over the next several weeks and on throughout the Summer. however, the process will start with me going back through the photos and selecting the "best of the best" to keep and process. When I do that, I'll find the shots of 6100 and post them. It shouldn't be too long (a day or two) before I begin that process. Right now I'm sitting on the couch at home trying to recover from a bad sinus infection that I picked up aboard the Amsterdam. I kept quiet about it while aboard ship because I didn't see any purpose served in mentioning it. But, I'm draining now and have the sore throat and watery eyes and unequal ear pressure to go with it. So, my activity is limited today (no burgers and fries or outdoor picnics for me).

Is the Master Chef dinner only held in the Traditional fixed dining room?...We ate in the Anytime open dining room on our last HAL cruise and there was no Master Chef dinner when we were there.

Aboard both the Ryndam and the Amsterdam the Master Chef Dinner was held for both fixed and open dining. The downstairs open dining was turned into something more similar to a fixed dining time, with people being required to make reservations for the evening festivities. I think if you wanted to eat off-schedule and avoid the "show" you could, but you still had to eat from the menu. (ugh!) Personally, if I had been in Opening Dining I think I would have gone to the Lido.

Thank you for posting your photos! they are very nice, indeed! You had the same kind of weather as we did.

Thank you! As are yours!

We "saw" you, from a distance, while we were aboard the Ryndam in Glacier Bay. The Westerdam crossed in front of us on her way to Johns Hopkins Glacier while we were maneuvering to leave the bay altogether. I've got a picture of the Westerdam somewhere in my collection ... I'll find it and process and post it for you on this thread, if you like. I took it from the Lido deck pool-side dining area, through windows, so it's not a great shot (I was eating a bit of late lunch).

Yes I would like that picture. Sorry I failed to see Ryndam out there. I may have been in the room at that time.

No Baked Alaska in Alaska??? Of all places, if HAL is going to put on that tired old presentation, Alaska is the place they should do it ... and do it well. Sadly, we also didn't have one on the Ryndam. The Dessert was served -- as just about the only option -- on the evening of the Master Chef Dinner, but there was no parade of it ... it simply appeared. There WAS a parade on the Amsterdam, but it was more of an awkward addition to the Master Chef "show." They didn't play the normal music with it, didn't lower the lights, but they did hand out glow wands. It was "ok," just not up to par with past experiences. And I've never been a lover of the Baked Alaska Parade or of Baked Alaska as it is served aboard ships (the Meringue is never done and I only get Vanilla and Strawberry Ice Cream ... never any of the Chocolate that is supposed to be there).

Well we did have the assorted baked Alaskas on the dessert menu, but they were quite different. Just no parade at the end.

:D

Another thing I have noted lately is no dance music before first seating. We always like to have a drink and listen to the music before dinner.

(I had to add something there. It would not accept my post just commenting in the quote area.)

Archived