RevNeal - LIVE from the Ryndam & Amsterdam

RevNeal

Right now I'm sitting on the couch at home trying to recover from a bad sinus infection that I picked up aboard the Amsterdam. I kept quiet about it while aboard ship because I didn't see any purpose served in mentioning it. But, I'm draining now and have the sore throat and watery eyes and unequal ear pressure to go with it. So, my activity is limited today (no burgers and fries or outdoor picnics for me).

I was on the Amsterdam as well, and have been laid low since my return with a horrible sinus infection accompanied by a debilitating headache. On board, it was just low-grade pressure that I attributed to allergies so I didn't make the connection, but maybe we picked up the same thing. Hope you feel better soon! I'm just now feeling human again. :)

I was on the Amsterdam as well, and have been laid low since my return with a horrible sinus infection accompanied by a debilitating headache. On board, it was just low-grade pressure that I attributed to allergies so I didn't make the connection, but maybe we picked up the same thing. Hope you feel better soon! I'm just now feeling human again. :)

That's most interesting. Hmmm ...

I've been attributing my illness to my mother's smoking and being in close proximity to it for 14+ days ... but perhaps it was only a contributing factor?

I've never been a lover of the Baked Alaska Parade or of Baked Alaska as it is served aboard ships (the Meringue is never done and I only get Vanilla and Strawberry Ice Cream ... never any of the Chocolate that is supposed to be there).

:D

I'm not a fan of Baked Alaska and sometimes will ask for a different dessert on Baked Alaska Night; however, I did try the "Not Quite Baked Alaska" in the Pinnacle and it was amazing. It's made with Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice Cream and covered with Cherries Jubilee flamed tableside.

Greg,

Thanks for the explanations regarding the "Master Chef's Dinner". Not mujch fun for the waiters. Not much of a dinner either to be called Master Chef's you'd expect great food better than any other night.

Jerry

RevNeal, your thread and its pics inspired me to book an Alaskan cruise. At first, I wanted to sail on Amsterdam, but the date didn't work. So today Mom and I booked a VF cabin on Westerdam. I'm looking forward to seeing some Sitka pics. Your tram ride pics in Juneau were amazing. We will do that excursion using HAL shorex.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you also tell me if the dining room was ever open for lunch, on embarkation day or any other day?

It was open for Lunch on all sea days and on days when the ship arrived in port in the afternoon. It was also open for Lunch on the day we had scenic cruising in Glacier Bay.

It was closed for Lunch on Embarkation Day ... rather, the staff directed everybody up to the Lido to wait for cabins to be made available (at about 1:30 pm).

I have the Vancouver Tour Day and Ryndam Cruise photographs up and ready for viewing.

Vancouver: http://gallery.me.com/revneal#100024

Ryndam 1: http://gallery.me.com/revneal#100036

Ryndam 2: http://gallery.me.com/revneal#100042

Ryndam 3: http://gallery.me.com/revneal#100043

Ryndam 4: http://gallery.me.com/revneal#100059

As always, click on the thumbnail image to open each photo in a larger format. You can also set the page for two other modes of index display (see lower part of screen). I especially like "Mosaic." I managed to edit down some 1500 photographs to just shy of 400. Please feel free to download the whole set ... you can do that individually or in a batch.

I hope to be back within a week or so with the photographs from the Amsterdam cruise!

Greg:

I will look at the pictures when I get home. I am currently at an internet place in Juneau and am on the second week of my Volendam cruise. I was at the Master Chef dinner and I think they did sing the Indonesian Farwell song at the end of the dinner. What they did not do was light the sparklers for the marching of the the baked Alaskan.

By the way I enjoying the Volendam very much and it is still one of my favorite ships in spite ot the bad review it got on these boards a few weeks ago.

Greg:

I will look at the pictures when I get home. I am currently at an internet place in Juneau and am on the second week of my Volendam cruise. I was at the Master Chef dinner and I think they did sing the Indonesian Farwell song at the end of the dinner. What they did not do was light the sparklers for the marching of the the baked Alaskan.

By the way I enjoying the Volendam very much and it is still one of my favorite ships in spite ot the bad review it got on these boards a few weeks ago.

Have a glorious rest of your cruises aboard the Volendam! I'm sure you're a blessing to everybody there! :D

What you describe of the Master Chef Dinner is how they did it on the Ryndam.

Yes, I have many fond memories of the Volendam! She made, indeed, need some TLC and either a wet or dry docking, but she's a great lady nevertheless.

Thanks RevNeal for a wonderful thread - I have enjoyed reading it.

To LadyFurn regarding Raptor Center - YES, Volta is still alive and doing well. We were just there 2 weeks ago - here's a pic.

We visited the Raptor Center in Sitka while on our Amsterdam Cruise (the second cruise we took this past may. I'm processing photos from that cruise right now.

I thought that Eagle's name was "Sitka."

We visited the Raptor Center in Sitka while on our Amsterdam Cruise (the second cruise we took this past may. I'm processing photos from that cruise right now.

I thought that Eagle's name was "Sitka."

Greg, I think there are 2 or 3 different Eagles they use when they bring them out. Because they mentioned both Volta and Sitka and I think it was Sitka they used for ours and he was getting a bit antsy toward the end and tried to fly off the trainer's arm.

Archived