Have I Come to my Senses, or Lost my Mind?

I'm starting to get ready for our 12th cruise in late June - we're on the Celebrity Summit Barcelona-Venice 12-nighter. It will be our first time in Europe/the Med, so I'm pretty excited! Anyway, after years of schlepping huge suitcases on cruises, containing all the dressy, fancy clothes I own (and never really wear except on cruises, or truly enjoy wearing, or even feel like "myself" in), I think that this time I am taking a new approach! Tell me, have I finally come to my senses, or have I lost my mind?

Not to brag, of course, but I am considered quite fashionable by my coworkers. I normally wear good quality well-fitting slacks or a skirt with "interesting" tops and "unusual" shoes or sandals, most times a jacket or cool cardigan, all accessorized with a combination of "good" and fun jewelry. Those outfits would be perfect for most non-formal evenings on cruise ship - right? Why do I feel I must re-create myself once I step onto a cruise ship?

Here's what I'm thinking for evening wear with a mix & match, Black & White theme overall:

White dress pants

Black cropped dress pants (not mid-shin capris!)

Black pencil skirt

Multi-colored silk knee-length skirt (includes B & W in the print)

Black sleeveless, square neck, tea length dress (Super comfy fabric, can go smart casual or formal depending on accessories)

Black & white brocade, 3/4 sleeve jacket

White denim blazer

White elbow-length cardigan

B & W patterned long sleeve cardigan w/beading

B & W Animal print top with beading & turquoise & tan accents in the print

Black and white sleeveless shells that can stand alone, or go under jackets, etc.

Black strappy sandals

Black patent peep toe pumps

Combo of pearls/diamonds and fun chunky stone or silver jewelry

2 pants, 2 skirts, 1 dress, 2 jackets, and 5 sweaters or tops. Virtually every piece goes with more than one other item. I'm not opposed to sending something for cleanng/pressing if needed. Not a single bit of chiffon or an old bridesmaid's dress in the lot. Everything fits great and is already in my closet. Should all fit in my one large suitcase along with my "day wear" and etc.

What am I missing here?

I'm starting to get ready for our 12th cruise in late June - we're on the Celebrity Summit Barcelona-Venice 12-nighter. It will be our first time in Europe/the Med, so I'm pretty excited! Anyway, after years of schlepping huge suitcases on cruises, containing all the dressy, fancy clothes I own (and never really wear except on cruises, or truly enjoy wearing, or even feel like "myself" in), I think that this time I am taking a new approach! Tell me, have I finally come to my senses, or have I lost my mind?

Not to brag, of course, but I am considered quite fashionable by my coworkers. I normally wear good quality well-fitting slacks or a skirt with "interesting" tops and "unusual" shoes or sandals, most times a jacket or cool cardigan, all accessorized with a combination of "good" and fun jewelry. Those outfits would be perfect for most non-formal evenings on cruise ship - right? Why do I feel I must re-create myself once I step onto a cruise ship?

Here's what I'm thinking for evening wear with a mix & match, Black & White theme overall:

White dress pants

Black pencil skirt

Black sleeveless, square neck, tea length dress (Super comfy fabric, can go smart casual or formal depending on accessories)

White denim blazer

Black and white sleeveless shells that can stand alone, or go under jackets, etc.

Black strappy sandals

2 pants, 2 skirts, 1 dress, 2 jackets, and 5 sweaters or tops. Virtually every piece goes with more than one other item. I'm not opposed to sending something for cleanng/pressing if needed. Not a single bit of chiffon or an old bridesmaid's dress in the lot. Everything fits great and is already in my closet. Should all fit in my one large suitcase along with my "day wear" and etc.

What am I missing here?

NOT A THING:D:)...personally I think your mix and match

sounds great!!!

Glad you mentioned your daywear in the last sentence;)

I was going to say don't forget your daytime clothing!

I am going to Alaska in September (only away 8 nights) and

even for a cold climate cruise I am packing more effienctly

than I usually do......thank you for this post:)

I usually bring one carry-on and one checked bag. My checked

bag will weigh even less this time:D

i think you have come to your senses. am taking med cruise in july and i don't even go to formal night(s). am on a cruise to relax. to me they are just another night on the ship almost like new year's eve. Hope you have a great time. Happy cruising.

carol

Sounds perfect, tho' I'd probably add one outfit that's more formal.

I'd add a poly/chiffon dressy skirt and perhaps a dressy tank (maybe w/ sequins). Both are light, easy to pack and non-wrinkle.

But that's just me.

Your list sounds great!

Comfy day shoes - check! Picked up two cute pairs of Privos - one a mary jane style, super great for walking, and cute with capris or shorts, the other a bronzy sandal that works with most casual, including a denim skirt or even a bathing suit. I've been breaking both pairs in for a few weeks and so far, so good! Looking foward to Venice (among a gaggle of other awesome places we'll be...)

Hey Dukefamily --I always do see lots of cute things in WH-BM, but actually I find that I am drawn to black & white everywhere!! Just a clean, classic look that I cannot seem to resist. I try to sneak in some color here & there to keep it from being too boring, though!

Happy KS - that tank dress is a good idea!! That particular print is actually fairly close to my silk skirt. Fewer pieces, always better!

Hey 6 rugrats (do you really have 6??!!?!?!) -

I am using a fairly large standard suitcase - 27 inch I believe. We're flying Northwest/KLM which allows up to 2 checked bags up to 40 lb each with NO FEES for international travel. Hubby has a suitcase one step smaller than mine and he's a pretty light packer, so I think we can get by with the 2-bags, and a small carry on each, which is actually way less than we used to use!!!

What a great combination of black and white clothing - good for you. The only extras I would include would be a few colorful scarves (different sizes) to add a punch of colour to the black and white theme. I love to accessorize with scarves; they weigh absolutely nothing and really brighten up an outfit.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Hey 6 rugrats (do you really have 6??!!?!?!) -

I am using a fairly large standard suitcase - 27 inch I believe. We're flying Northwest/KLM which allows up to 2 checked bags up to 40 lb each with NO FEES for international travel. Hubby has a suitcase one step smaller than mine and he's a pretty light packer, so I think we can get by with the 2-bags, and a small carry on each, which is actually way less than we used to use!!!

I think you will be fine and you'll find it much easier not to have to haul around all those bags. Have a great trip!

You will have plenty of things for dinner each night and

don't forget, you can wear everything more than once.

There may be some nights you are just too tired from sight seeing

all day to even eat in the dining room.

Have a wonderful trip, I wish I was going!:)

Hi, we're going to Alaska also in Sept. Please tell me what you're taking to wear in the evenings. We are not doing formal nights... I want to be comfortable, but look nice, too! Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies - based on them I have edited my plan just a bit.

ALL CAPS BELOW ARE FOR EMPHASIS, NOT SCREAMNG! :)

White dress pants

Black pencil skirt

White denim blazer - REPLACING THIS WITH A BRIGHT PINK LINEN JACKET THAT MATCHES SILK SKIRT AND LOOKS GREAT WITH WHITE PANTS

Black strappy sandals

ADDED TWO COLORFUL SCARVES - ONE BLACK SATIN W/MULTI COLORED DOTS AND ONE WITH SEVERAL SHADES OF PINK WITH WHITE BACKGROUND

Hi, we're going to Alaska also in Sept. Please tell me what you're taking to wear in the evenings. We are not doing formal nights... I want to be comfortable, but look nice, too! Thanks!

Hi, I am going back to Alaska in Sept too:)

It will be my 3rd time there:D

The other evenings I would be wearing slacks/skirts and nice

tops and or/dresses.

Did you ask about this on another thread? You mentioned wearing

a sweater and slacks for evenings? That will be fine too:)

Comfort and looking nice can definitely go in hand in hand.:)

When I think of sweaters for dinner, it can be a fine gage

twin set or a casual/dressy pullover.

So many different variables....sounds like you will be fine!

I also added a beaded black halter top that would look great with the black skirt or pants and my glitzier jewelry for a more festive formal look...

Your wardrobe sounds fantastic:)and it has DEFINITELY

given me some food for thought for my next cruise too:D

But rather than the white, I have LOTS of different purple

shades in my wardrobe. I think I will go with blacks

on the bottom though;), different tops to go with skirts and

slacks. White is good though and of course it is a classic.

I may just want to give myself that punch of color, although

you are doing it with the accessories (scarves) I am not a

scarf gal.

Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us.:)

Oh, black shoes go with purple/black too so no need to worry

about that as I have more black shoes than I will ever need LOL

Hi Lois - The various shades of purples with black bottoms sounds like a good theme!

I recall on my Alaska cruise a few years back that I regretted not having a couple of my dressier sweaters, so the twin set idea is right on. You do see a little of everything but no need to be as bare as a Caribbean cruise when in Alaska!

I am also on the fence just a bit with the scarf thing. The black dotted one is longer and narow - it works as a belt and looks cute with the black dress as a more casual look. The pink one might look cool just peeking out of my pink jacket. For me, it's kind of like when you first started wearing lipstick, and you felt like "here I come in my lipstick"...I feel like "here I come with my scarf on...takes some getting used to, I think.

Hi Lois - The various shades of purples with black bottoms sounds like a good theme!

I recall on my Alaska cruise a few years back that I regretted not having a couple of my dressier sweaters, so the twin set idea is right on. You do see a little of everything but no need to be as bare as a Caribbean cruise when in Alaska!

I am also on the fence just a bit with the scarf thing. The black dotted one is longer and narow - it works as a belt and looks cute with the black dress as a more casual look. The pink one might look cool just peeking out of my pink jacket. For me, it's kind of like when you first started wearing lipstick, and you felt like "here I come in my lipstick"...I feel like "here I come with my scarf on...takes some getting used to, I think.

Ohhh...so you are stepping outside of the box a little

bit:)..good for you! I still have a problem with lipstick;),

well not a problem actually but just prefer a gloss rather than

a full lipstick. Evenings on a cruise are the only time I wear

it:eek:..LOL. I just don't wear lipstick.

I ordered a dress from Coldwater Creek that is red and if it fits, its going with me.

I guess my purple theme is not 100% purple:D

Archived