positive freeport experiences???

sailingbuddy

Hi- We've been to many ports in the Caribbean and found Freeport to be a rather attractive industrial port- for an industrial port. As others have said- take a van cab (we paid $4 pp) to Our Lucaya to the Westin/Sheraton area and Our Lucaya Marketplace for a start.

Many people mentioned the hurricanes. Grand Bahama, our neighbor, needs our business. The hurricanes were devastating.

I want to put my 2 cents in here. :) I liked the beach at Freeport much better than Nassau. It was prettier, water was calmer, and it was quieter in general. There are still people trying to sell you stuff and braid your hair, but I found them to be a little less pushy than at Nassau. The beach chairs were cheaper to rent as well. We took a bus to Our Lucaya and had a really nice beach day at Freeport. We walked to a beachfront restaurant and had an excellent conch burger. They had some nice shops too. Overall, Freeport was much more relaxed than Nassau.

We're going back in November. We're considering the Sheraton beach break, but it seems a bit pricey. We might just spend another beach day on our own.

There is - along with a room for changing... and then after snorkeling - it's time for Bahama Mamas... woohoo

mmm. how do we book this? We've shyed away from catamarans because peeing off the side is not my idea of vacation, but this looks good.

We're fresh off Capt. Tony's snorkel/sail and would also highly recommend it. We preferred this part of the trip to Nassau by far. $45/person and well worth it. We only had about 10 people on our morning sail and had to laugh when we saw some of the other boats with the cruise line excursions loaded up with 50+ people.

Actually, I don't believe that he does. Everyone I saw paid cash once on the boat. I don't think he has a way to process credit cards as you basically meet him right at the boat.

This is my understanding as well - he only accepts cash.

mmm. how do we book this? We've shyed away from catamarans because peeing off the side is not my idea of vacation, but this looks good.

Capt Tonys boat is not one of those stripped down tourist barges. This thing has bathrooms, a kitchen, and multiple sleeping quarters (which 2 in our group sneaked off and used unbeknown to the rest of us). I think it says on his website somewhere you can charter the boat for long periods and actually stay on the boat. It is an awesome catamaran! But I guess if you wanted to pee off the side he would let you...just aim way out and not into the wind or you may be swabbing the deck!

We took the cab to Port Lucaya, shopped and went to an internet cafe (much more reasonable than shipboard) and rented jet skis from Ocean Motion. The Ocean Motion website quotes $75 per 1/2 hour, but as walk ups we got them for $60. They also have other items too (banana boat, water trampoline) if jet skis are not your thing.:)

Has anyone ever had a hard time making it to Capt. tony's by 9am? Our ship gets in at 7am supposedly. We have reservations for the snorkel trip with tony but I hope we get to the catamaran on time. Any suggestions?

With 7am you should not have a problem.

His boat is clean,bathroom was better than some in port,,crew was GREAT. He is new at this so he does not have a cc processing company,,,besides cash is king! He or his crew will give you a great trip for the money. They have snorkel equipment if you need it,,we had our own mask/snorkel so we used some fins.

With 7am you should not have a problem.

Our ship gets in at 9.Do we need to reserve SandDollar ahead of time or could we take a chance and wait til we get there?Are there other tours available when we get off the ship or does everything need to be arrainged ahead of time?

• 4 weeks later...

On the Sand Dollar snorkel trip, do you snorkel from the beach or do they drop you off in deep water? I am traveling with two children neither of which are strong swimmers, but I think would really like to snorkel from the shore.

On the Sand Dollar snorkel trip, do you snorkel from the beach or do they drop you off in deep water? I am traveling with two children neither of which are strong swimmers, but I think would really like to snorkel from the shore.

All snorkeling is in water around 15-20' deep with some as shallow as 4' BUT you don't want to step on coral... it can cut/sting and you can kill it.

Capt Tony puts a line out you can hold onto and gets in the water with people who don't know what they are doing. This is all off shore.

Cpt Tony's http://sanddollarcruise.com/ was so worth it! He was actually at the pier and then we went as 2 vans to the dock which was right next to the straw market for lunch and shopping afterward.

So take a container to safely bring back your sand dollars. Take a net bag to snorkel and collect sand dollars. Look for his sign before you go running for a taxi. Enjoy. Everyone found several sand dollars one guy collected over 20!

• 3 weeks later...
Cpt Tony's http://sanddollarcruise.com/ was so worth it! He was actually at the pier and then we went as 2 vans to the dock which was right next to the straw market for lunch and shopping afterward....

So the van ride to the boat was included in the $45. price or you had to pay to get there & back?

Archived