What would you do? Westerdam Aft VA vs SY midships

Lisa, you are absolutely right and that was one of my considerations! I figured we could visit my nephew and his wife on their aft to get the feel of it while at the same time having the larger cabin and verandah for them to visit. As you say, for $500 many benefits of a suite without the cost.

One other question, I knew it was missing the dressing area ... is the closet configuration the same as in a VA category? I'm guessing there is at least more drawer space?

I'm really getting tempted again:). Even though DH swears he could care less about the cabin, he might change his mind! He didn't want a dog either and now he's worse than I am!!!

This is a timely thread! We were booked in an aft VA; then changed to an aft SB; now in a mid-ship SY. And we debated long and hard. The VA was an affordable way to be aft, but we didn't want to do without those wonderful double sinks!!! The price differential between an SB and SY was great enough that changing to an SY made a lot of sense. I'm going to miss breakfast in the Pinnacle but that's a high price to pay for the luxury. We've been in an SY previously and an aft SB and a mid-ship SA. Differences? Money and today that is a huge consideration! Lisa is right: an SY is like having the Superior Suites without the price.:)

Heather, IMHO you should go for it and between you and your nephew you will have the best of both worlds. Dh will love it once you do, and you could save it as a surprise for him.Part of his present.

And, Esther, your timing is amazing as well. In the end I'm going to blame this all on Lisa!!!:D LOL. Seriously, I had decided we were fine in the VA aft and was going to stay put.

Then up popped my thread again with Lisa's comments and now along with Esther's and Carol's. So sitting in front of me now is the new quote with the cabin of my choice (I wanted to stay toward the aft for a number of reasons. The SY is just $522 more than the VA which is by no means cheap, but it's certainly saveable over the next 7 or 8 months. So I'll surprise Ray whether he thinks he wants it or not;).

I've decided to do it. It's out 25th, it's a very big day because chances are we won't celebrate our 50th (we got married in our early 40's so it's unlikely). So what the heck!!! I'm going to do it now.

Thank you, Everyone! I think this is meant to be!

Heather, yes trhe closet configuation is like a VA but with far more drawer space. I love the larger bathrooms with the double sinks and while in a S Suite the Dressing area is nice but I have always been a bit annoyed over the lighting in them. I feel like you have an orange cast dues to the mirrors to the closets being tinted. Which is why I loved the SY because of the natural lighting at the dressing table when you have the curtains open.

But of course when good deals land in your lap I would still take a Deluxe Vernadah S Suite in a minute ;)

And, Esther, your timing is amazing as well. In the end I'm going to blame this all on Lisa!!!:D LOL. Seriously, I had decided we were fine in the VA aft and was going to stay put.

Then up popped my thread again with Lisa's comments and now along with Esther's and Carol's. So sitting in front of me now is the new quote with the cabin of my choice (I wanted to stay toward the aft for a number of reasons. The SY is just $522 more than the VA which is by no means cheap, but it's certainly saveable over the next 7 or 8 months. So I'll surprise Ray whether he thinks he wants it or not;).

I've decided to do it. It's out 25th, it's a very big day because chances are we won't celebrate our 50th (we got married in our early 40's so it's unlikely). So what the heck!!! I'm going to do it now.

Thank you, Everyone! I think this is meant to be!

We were writing at the same time :)

Congratulations!!! Yes you can blame it all on me :D

I blame my recent cruising spurt on Greg Neal, he is the one that convinced me ;)

You will love this and will definitely not regret it.

I think it is a wonderful way to celebrate your 25th Wedding Anniversary :)

Me, too, Lisa. It's a special time so we should celebrate a bit differently. This cruise is unusal in that it has 3 sea days in a 7 day cruise (the reason I chose it) so there's a lot of time onboard.

I put on make-up by a window every day so I wouldn't even use that make-up section. When you jump to the superior verandahs, you also jump $$$wise and for us it's just not worth it. But this is.

I sure hope I haven't made a bad choice in my cabin. I haven't booked it quite yet. I chose 6106 because I wanted to be as far aft as possible. 6108 has the angled balcony ... I wonder if you can see those people very well? I'm guessing not unless they're hanging over their railings.

I think now I'm obsessing! I'm just so excited. We've cruised for 27 years and never in a cabin this size. You should only see the cabins we started cruising in on the Cunard countess!!! LOL!

Heather, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!! We celebrated our 50th last year (I was married when I was a year old:D).

I know what you were going through because I was, also. Having made the decision to stay in an SY works fine for us! We still have a large round table and 4 chairs on the verandah for breakfast. And the savings adds up to another cruise!!!! That can't hurt.

Heather, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!! We celebrated our 50th last year (I was married when I was a year old:D).

Esther, we celebrate our 50Th this September. I was married in utero.:DCongrats to you too.

You two are funny!!!! I should have said I was married at 16 and you'd think we were a whole other generation, but as I always say "it is what it is!".;)

Anyway, a big thank you to all of you for your input and help. It's done! We're booked in 6106:D:D. The TA put it through and it's silly to obsess over worrying about the bend and who can see what.

I'm really happy I did this. I always figure timing is everything and since Lisa brought the thread forward there had to be a reason we were supposed to book it. So thank you!!!

I'll report back next March!

You two are funny!!!! I should have said I was married at 16 and you'd think we were a whole other generation, but as I always say "it is what it is!".;)

Anyway, a big thank you to all of you for your input and help. It's done! We're booked in 6106:D:D. The TA put it through and it's silly to obsess over worrying about the bend and who can see what.

I'm really happy I did this. I always figure timing is everything and since Lisa brought the thread forward there had to be a reason we were supposed to book it. So thank you!!!

I'll report back next March!

Looking forward to hearing about it :) I am confidnet you made the perfect choice. (Keep watching the pricing and call if you see the price drop ;))

Well we are a little bit closer to you in years of being married. Tom and I will be married 33 years next March 25th and while I would love to say I was married at age 5 our son Andy turns 30 tomorrow :eek:

We're very close date-wise, Lisa. We married on April 13th and our honeymoon was a Mediterranean cruise ... one of favorites. I wanted to take this cruise over our anniversary, but there are few 7-day cruises with so much sea-time so we grabbed it in March.

I think you made the right decision...I paid $400 to upgrade from my VD cabin to a SZ guar in January for my 10 nite Zuiderdam cruise and it was the best decision I ever made....the extra cabin room is worth it alone...you have 2 dressers including 1 that has a hutch/shelves with stemware glasses..perfect for entertaining. the bathroom is spacious as described.The balcony has the 2 plastic rattan chairs and foot stools plus a dining height table with 2 chairs...we ate Bkfst there every morning and it was great not having to juggle everything... We ended up with a midship cat sy on the 6th floor. We are not extravagant people but felt it was definitely worth it and are spoiled by the super. suites...we will definitely only book them on a HAL vista class

Thanks, Joyce, for reinforcing my decision! The only thing I'm concerned about now is that I chose the cabin next to the bend. I can't find pictures that will show whether or not the people on that balcony can look straight at ours.

I was going to make a last minute switch down one or two cabins, but my TA had already gone ahead and booked it.

Thanks, Joyce, for reinforcing my decision! The only thing I'm concerned about now is that I chose the cabin next to the bend. I can't find pictures that will show whether or not the people on that balcony can look straight at ours.

I was going to make a last minute switch down one or two cabins, but my TA had already gone ahead and booked it.

I wasn't going to say anything because you don't know me and I don't know you, but I WAS wondering why you selected that particular SY cabin that you selected. I think you are going to LOVE your cabin and not regret the upgrade for an instant! But, if there does happen to be an SY cabin available more toward midship, why not switch? Is your Nephew on deck 6? If so, I totally understand why you chose the furthest aft SY to be near him. But, if they are NOT on deck 6, then choose the SY cabin closest to the stairwell (or midship) so you will have easy access to your nephew's deck! If what you have booked is the best available, then disregard what I said, because you are going to have an amazing anniversary cruise in a wonderful cabin on a wonderful ship! :D

Your TA is working for YOU! Don't hesitate for a moment to book exactly what you want! It is not a big deal for your TA to switch you from one SY to another! :D It is literally a few keystrokes on the computer ;) Any reputable TA should WANT to see their client happy! :D Best wishes on your Anniversary cruise! We just celebrated out 32nd anniversary on Liberty of the Seas in April, 2009!

Thanks, Bonnie. I know it's not a big deal. There really are reasons I won't go into, but of course if I decide to move down a couple I certainly will try if they're available. I'm not sure it will make a difference, though, because 6108 is angled out and it's possible there isn't privacy in any of those near it.

Fortunately while searching on here for any info or pictures I could find I found that a CC member who's a friend has actually sailed in that cabin. So I've emailed her and then I'll decide.

Congratulations on your 32nd anniversary! Hope you had a wonderful cruise to celebrate.:)

Thanks, Bonnie. I know it's not a big deal. There really are reasons I won't go into, but of course if I decide to move down a couple I certainly will try if they're available. I'm not sure it will make a difference, though, because 6108 is angled out and it's possible there isn't privacy in any of those near it.

Fortunately while searching on here for any info or pictures I could find I found that a CC member who's a friend has actually sailed in that cabin. So I've emailed her and then I'll decide.

Congratulations on your 32nd anniversary! Hope you had a wonderful cruise to celebrate.

I have no doubt at all that you are going to LOVE your cruise regardless of which cabin you end up in! ;) I will be on the Westerdam in less than 2 months and also in an SY cabin (6092)! :D I struggled with the same decision as you, but for me the SY was actually CHEAPER than the aft VA (weird, huh?)! I am a HUGE fan of aft cabins as I LOVE to watch the wake. But, I still decided to take the SY. It will be my Mother-in-law and myself on Westerdam. I am taking MIL on her "dream" cruise to Alaska! :D I think you have chosen the best of both worlds by selecting the SY cabin. You will have a wonderful place to enjoy your Anniversary and also to entertain your Nephew. You can visit your Nephew's balcony for the aft view. Don't worry about that angled balcony beside you! They are just as interested in having THEIR privacy as you are! Odds are they will NOT be spending their time at the railing watching YOU! They will be too busy having their own "fun"! ;)

Bonnie, you are a wonderful DIL! What a terrific thing to do. That will be a wonderful cruise for both of you.

Since I last posted, another CC friend did a search on Google and did a lot better than me! She found a picture of the exact same cabin as ours in the forward section (6054). From the picture you can see that there's plenty of privacy and unless they're hanging over their balcony, ours is totally private.

One might wonder what we were planning to do out there!!! LOL!:D Anyway, all is well and I'm happy. I'd say I can't wait, but I don't rush time anymore. Life is too short as it is.

Have a wonderful Alaskan cruise, Bonnie! That's one we haven't done because it's such a trip from Florida. But some day we'll drive cross country and take the cruise as part of the adventure.

We're booked on Westerdam to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next year. We booked an aft cabin, 5185 (VA), and were thrilled to get it because I've always wanted to cruise in an aft cabin and watch the wake. My nephew and his wife are booked in a Deck 4 cabin below us.

For about $500 I can upgrade to an SY (obviously considerably larger) but not an aft cabin and it looks over the lifeboats, not my favorite location.

I'm so torn. DH could care less about the size of the cabin so he's no help:D. I could really use some opinions especially from people who have cruised in the VA aft cabins or the SYs. I know Deck 5 balconies are completely covered which is actually good news. There's lots of things I can do on that cruise for $500 and truthfully I'm not even sure why I'm tempted!

So what do you think? Really appreciate your feelings. Thanks!:)

My opinion... Aft VA

This is a very good topic :). I have aft cabin VA 6173 booked and I have been kicking the idea around on switching to a SY also. Still dont know if the 400.00 per person is worth it since we love aft cabins. Thanks for all the great info and insight posted in this thread.

My opinion... Aft VA

Say it isn't so, Dutch!!!!! I already switched!!!:( As LVSue said below, you're a man and I'm hoping you're reasons are you prefer the location and so you'd be willing to give up the space?

Just remember: Dutch is a man. The space is great! and you have the 24-hour concierge in case of plumbing problems (actually came in handy on the Prinsendam).

In an SY I don't tink you don't get the 24-hour concierge. You don't get any of those suite perks like Neptune, etc. That's okay with me because those things really don't matter to me. But the space is a huge consideration ... especially with 3 1/2 sea days on a 7 day cruise!

Allen, in our case it was an additional $522 for the SY. I think I would have stuck with the aft VA if it weren't that this is our 25th wedding anniversary and I wanted it to be just a step up from any cruise we've ever taken. The aft would have been special, but this is just a little more special. The double sinks and the extra bathroom space is really nice and there's no question that it is way bigger than a VA.

Esther, I really wanted the corner aft because that was the best of both worlds, but if I remember correctly it was +$1800 on our cruise vs the +$500 for the SY. No way I could rationalize $1300 for a corner suite. Nothing is that good when you consider that's half another cruise!!!!:D

I competely understand switching for the Anniversary reasons Heather.

I did the same thing for the Celebrity cruise we will be doing in March 2010 it is our 8th :) but I switched from Sunset FV to Sky Suite :D

Archived