belize is UPD

Isasprings

We went to Lamanai in January of '09. I had started to feel sick before we left the ship and, by the time we returned from our 7+ hour tour, I was running a fever and was well on my way to being the worst kind of sick I've been in years. In spite of that, I found Belize to be one of the best ports I've visited in years and hope to get back to repeat the experience without the virus tagging along. I didn't feel well enough to climb the ruins, but my husband and daughter took photos from the top that are amazing.

By the way, a couple of years ago, we docked on the other side of the bay on St. Thomas... it was ugly, industrial, and expensive just to take the jitney to the downtown shopping area from our ship ($32 for our family of four, round trip). I'll take Belize over the more commercialized ports any day.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the trolley train tour in Jan '09 with Terry as our guide. We really enjoyed it, she is a native and so proud of her country! She was up front about both the good and bad parts, but the area is beautiful and we enjoyed the contrasts. Bet most of yall didn't know there is a 96% literacy rate in Belize because school is mandatory there! Parents can be arrested if their kids don't go to school! Don't rule out Belize until you research it and actually see it!

See, this is another example of the OP NOT putting enough information in his/her post then everyone else just flames away (which I can understand) If they had originally talked about knowing anything about Belize because they weren't supposed to go there and getting to the port and from what I have heard and read it isn't the nicest, that would have been their first impression and all opinions would have been formed from there. They also could have said how much they wanted to go to Cozumel and were disappointed, so probably had a bit of a hate on for the port that took its place. They didn't do ANY research on Belize so when they got there they were dropped off and told to have at it......I personally would have been totally LOST and really disappointed that I wouldn't be able to make the most of a port that I might never get to again.

Anyway, that's my take on this thread, I personally can't wait to get to Belize, but I have the luxury of reading of the beauty that is waiting beyond the port :)

The area near the port is not particularly nice but the countryside is lovely.

We did the Lamanai tour through our cruiseship and it was great. The ruins are beautifully situated on the New River and the trip along the river to get to them is quite nice.

Hideous.

canilivehere.jpg?t=1244565203

We are about to book for next January and am so excited about going back to Belize. It's one of my favorite ports. I love the fact that it's not overdeveloped and "Americanized" with bunches of chain shopping and Margaritavilles and Senor Frogs everywhere.

Yes, like many port cities around the world, the immediate port area is not very nice. Get out and enjoy a beautiful country with proud and gracious people. Also, poor does not equal bad.

I still maintain I have seen far worse conditions in the Appalachian mountains near my home. :rolleyes: That and parts of Miami. :eek:

I would advise the OP to stay away from Colon, Panama if they thought Belize was bad. It's the only port I've ever been to where I thought it lived up to it's reputation. And it takes a lot to scare me. But these ports are places that have sooooo much to offer - you just have to get out into the countryside, or out to a reef or barrier island to enjoy it's true beauty.

The sad part about it is that the OP is partially correct if one only leaves the ship and experiances the town of Belize City.

I've spent weeks at the time in Belize over the past few years consulting for a client of mine and have been all over the country so I can speak with some experiance that it is overall one of the most beautiful and diverse places I've ever been but you would never know that if you had only seen Belize City. Unfortunately that is all that many cruisers have the time to do.:(

I was in Belize in March and I found the port area well kept, but we walked into the city and it was dirty and we got tired of the constant "sell" by the taxi drivers and others. I didnt feel "threatend" in any way just got real tired of not being left alone to venture around (it reminded me of walking around Ocho Rio Jamaca - but grab a taxi there and travel around with a good guide and you will be astaounded by the views).

We took the water taxi to Cay Caulker which was a great trip but we were disapointed that there was no where on the island to snorkel. I guess we could have swam out anywhere but the water around the island was dirty, smelly (and I am not a prude) and there was a lot of trash floating around. It was fun investigating the island, shopping (pricy) and we had some fresh fruit and drinks relaxing by the beach. There were beautiful plants and trees on the island and some great photo spots. I would like to go again, but would want to set up a snorkeling trip with a guide if I do go. I wouldnt recomend going to this island thinking you can snorkel without taking a boat out, but it is a fun stop for a relaxing stroll.

We just returned from the 5/24 Valor "earthquake" cruise. I did my research before we left and booked a 1/2 day snorkel tour with "Grumpy and Happy" (Lorne and Jolene Jackson) in San Pedro. They made all the arrangements and all we had to do was to take a taxi to the Belize airstrip and fly on an island shuttle (15 seater Cessna) Tropic Air flight from Belize City to San Pedro. Very beautiful 15 minute flight, viewing the barrier reef from the air. Just awesome. Jolene met us at the airport, walked us to the dock, Loren had their boat ready. We were the only ones (4 of us) and they took us to Hol Chan Marine Preserve and Shark Alley. They took us away from the crowds of boats and snorkelers and into some awesome reef areas. We got to pet the sting rays and huge groupers as well as watch nurse sharks snooze in the shade of the boat.

Our family has snorkeled in Hawaii and all over the Caribbean and by far this was the most interesting, beautiful, exciting trip we've experienced. Lorne and Jolene had drinks and snacks, gave us the best snorkel trip yet and got us back in plenty of time to catch our return flight and get to our boat tender. A delightful day and excellent, knowledable snorkel guides. I highly recommend looking into local Belize tour operators and reading the Cruise Critic reviews.

Do your homework before you go, it will be well worth your time. We're already chomping at the bit to go back and snorkel on Ambergris Cay with Grumpy and Happy, the sharks, groupers and sting rays!:cool:

We just returned from the 5/24 Valor "earthquake" cruise. I did my research before we left and booked a 1/2 day snorkel tour with "Grumpy and Happy" (Lorne and Jolene Jackson) in San Pedro. They made all the arrangements and all we had to do was to take a taxi to the Belize airstrip and fly on an island shuttle (15 seater Cessna) Tropic Air flight from Belize City to San Pedro. Very beautiful 15 minute flight, viewing the barrier reef from the air. Just awesome. Jolene met us at the airport, walked us to the dock, Loren had their boat ready. We were the only ones (4 of us) and they took us to Hol Chan Marine Preserve and Shark Alley. They took us away from the crowds of boats and snorkelers and into some awesome reef areas. We got to pet the sting rays and huge groupers as well as watch nurse sharks snooze in the shade of the boat.

Our family has snorkeled in Hawaii and all over the Caribbean and by far this was the most interesting, beautiful, exciting trip we've experienced. Lorne and Jolene had drinks and snacks, gave us the best snorkel trip yet and got us back in plenty of time to catch our return flight and get to our boat tender. A delightful day and excellent, knowledable snorkel guides. I highly recommend looking into local Belize tour operators and reading the Cruise Critic reviews.

Do your homework before you go, it will be well worth your time. We're already chomping at the bit to go back and snorkel on Ambergris Cay with Grumpy and Happy, the sharks, groupers and sting rays!:cool:

What's the contact info?

• 2 weeks later...
The beauty of Belize is in the eyes of the beholder. We are going next week and I can't wait.

I completely agree. We were there last October and loved it. I can't wait to visit again (10 days!)

UGLY,POOR,DIRTY just came back last week is not dangerous but is very ugly.

Really???? Not from what I saw:

232323232%7Ffp53237%3Enu%3D3264%3E588%3E939%3EWSNRCG%3D323436365982%3Anu0mrj

our guide, Maurice, with DS

232323232%7Ffp53252%3Enu%3D3264%3E588%3E939%3EWSNRCG%3D3234363659826nu0mrj

Altun Ha

232323232%7Ffp53245%3Enu%3D3264%3E588%3E939%3EWSNRCG%3D3234363659834nu0mrj

orange iguana

232323232%7Ffp53245%3Enu%3D3264%3E588%3E939%3EWSNRCG%3D323436366598%3Cnu0mrj

howler monkey (between the telephone wires)

• 1 month later...

DH and myself are going to Belize in Dec. and we cannot wait. All the pictures (outside of the pier areas) seem to be beautiful. Sometimes you have to venture out! Its a shame that so many poeple have closed minds about other countries than their own. Have they seen parts of the US lately?????

If Belize is truely ugly to some poeple, then there are options for them. But, this is what happens when someone judges a book by its cover. Sad. :(

When we visited we did not find the port area dirty at all. We were only there long enough to catch our tour to Cay Caulker. At the Cay we walked to the end of the island and snorkeled and swam in the most beautiful, crystal clear water. There was no beach, just a concrete dock with stairs into the water. The water was very shallow and if you swam out a little the snorkeling was excellent. There was a little beach bar there too.

After swimming we went walked back to the small dock where the tour had left us and had a wonderful lunch at a beachside cafe. The tour boat brought us right back to the pier.

We had a great time! I am actually reading these posts because I saw one that caught my attention because it said Belize was unsafe. We never felt unsafe and we thought it was a beautiful place.

We're looking forward to the Tale of Two Cities Tour which includes Altun Ha & Belize City... thanks for posting pics above...

The area around Puerto Limon Costa Rica was really shabby but out in the natural areas it was lovely with great friendly people. Just have to do the research & book a good excurison for some ports!

Ugly for me is Grand Cayman when you are there with 6 or more other ships!

UGLY,POOR,DIRTY just came back last week is not dangerous but is very ugly.

That is like looking at an inner city slum and declaring the United States as poor.

I'll bet the OP did not venture very far from the cruise terminal. If he/she did, the impression would be much like any other place in the Caribbean.

Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have been all over Belize and "ugly" would be the last word I would use to describe the beautiful country.

Can't wait to go to Belize - booked on NCL in January and will be doing an excursion to Ambergys Caye - that is where you snorkle with nujrse sharks and sting rays. I have also heard that the shopping on this small island is the bomb.

What do you mean "the bomb?" I just returned from a month on Ambergris Caye (six trip) and curious as to what you might be expecting as far as shopping. As you can tell, I love AC and would love to own a house there, so don't take this to be discouraging, but if you tell me what you are looking for I may be able to make some recommendations.

Janice

Thank you to everyone who shared their positive experiences regarding Belize. I am planning a big 40th birthday cruise and I have booked the Western Caribbean to include Belize and Roatan...I have been a bit nervous about my decision but after reading and seeing the pictures on this thread, I am feeling excited!

I am glad that there is such a variety of things to do. I want to cave tube and see the ruins...not sure both can be done in such a short amount of time :confused:?

gina

Archived