UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

Dear Mr XXXXXXX,

Many thanks for contacting us with regard the thread on Cruise Critic pertaining to our updated booking conditions that come into effect from 1st June 2009. Jo has read and fully noted your concerns before asking me to reply to you as she is now away from the office.

We were very pleased to hear that your recent cruise aboard the Brilliance of the Seas was so enjoyable and for feeding back the comments from other guests, we will ensure that these are forwarded to the appropriate staff.

Under the new conditions, every guest will be allowed one amendment for free and if you are upgrading and the total cruise cost increases as a result, then there is no fee charged, so you will still hopefully be able to take advantage of higher stateroom categories becoming available or price drops, without a fee, although this cannot be guaranteed. Certainly there should be no need for cancellation of the original booking.

I can assure you that it is never our intention to show any difference in the terms and conditions or benefits applied to guests who book in the US, in the UK, or indeed in any of the markets we operate in across the globe. Obviously each country operates under it's own consumer and business laws and facets of this have to be taken into account when considering the different booking conditions between countries such as our and the United States. Each market will operate under the financial regulations set within that country and also the market forces that exist between companies competing for business, hence promotions that are offered to one country but not another and vice versa.

I hope that given the fantastic ships in our fleet and the service provided by their crew, we can look forward to welcoming you aboard in the near future.

Regards

Mark King

Manager, Operations Support Unit

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Cruises

UK & Ireland Guest & Trade Services

Aviator Park, Building 2

Station Road

Addlestone

Surrey KT15 2PG

So am i right in thinking

1/ One Fee free upgrade if the price drops if you haven't already made changes to your booking !!

2/ Fee free upgrade if you upgrade and the price of the cruise has gone up already

And the escape clause is

although this cannot be guaranteed

As for the rest its complete blah blah blah - We in the UK/Europe are being treated different from our American friends - RCI could easily make one rule for all.

Any views folks ?

jj.....

Hi JJ

No admin fee for first change you make, be it cabin move, price drop etc, remember it is one free per person. After this all changes will have admin fee charged.

No admin fee if you change to a cabin which is more expensive than your old cabin.

Yes................................usual nonsense letter. Many words, little substance!!

Must take them hours to compose rubbish like this. Could have been done in one short paragraph - then they may have more staff time to answer the 'phone!!!:D:D

I have a question for all those who use a US TA.

How did you all find one? Did you google it? We have ABTA ... are there any particular associations that I should be looking for?

I wonder if I could transfer my UK booking to a US TA or RCI US even. I think I need to do a bit of research, I'm not putting up with these new terms. I wouldn't have booked in the UK if I'd been made aware of all these new restrictions.

You cannot transfer from UK TA to a US TA.

Wish I could help with US TA but as you know we cant do that.

Heck whats that company in US that helps when doing research on US companies?...mm...best business bureau or something...its a place where you can check out reputation of companies. Can someone explain it better please :o

I agree Sailor - why say "although this cannot be guaranteed" there's one thing guaranteed the deposit is up to £150 and we get treated different from our American friends !!

I'm glad theres one free change although they can't guaranteed it !!

jj......

So basically they didn't mean to upset us but the market made them do it... awww poor Royal Caribbean :( :rolleyes:

Liz, thanks for replying, I booked with direct with RCI in the UK. I'll look into it over the weekend. I don't think there's a hope in hell's change of getting them to change anything. Even if I can't do anything with this booking I will be prepared for the next one.

I'm still a bit confused though... are price drops in the same category still going to be allowed or do we have to upgrage to get one?

I'm still a bit confused though... are price drops in the same category still going to be allowed or do we have to upgrage to get one?

You can still get price drops...if you have used your free admin fee for some other change then you will pay £35 per person for the price drop.

Example

Say you changed cabins because there was one along from what you currently have..(same category) that would use up your free admin charge.

If later there was a price drop and you wanted to claim that lower price..you would pay the admin fee. But if you upgraded to higher priced cabin then no admin fee.

Now I understand (but obviously dont like) the new changes being applied from 1st June but I really dont understand how they can apply them to existing bookings. Surely I have, therefore, been mis sold a cruise.

We have booked for next August and I specifically asked the RCI agent about changing it if necessary (as I wasnt sure if I could get the leave until nearer the time) and she advised me I could have one change free of charge. And also they would honour any price drops too.

I know they are going ahead with this and it is also for existing bookings but I really do feel I have been mis sold a product.

How about complaining to watch dog??? Just a thought:confused:

By the way, who do you e mail your complaints too??

You can still get price drops...if you have used your free admin fee for some other change then you will pay £35 per person for the price drop.

OK thanks what I thought. I'll just have to make sure I save my freebie for a price drop worth having. Why do they have to make it so b****y complicated!

I agree with you trollydolly, existing bookings should come under the existing T&C's. There must be some consumer law somewhere that says so, although I wouldn't surprised if RCI have some get out clause hidden in there somewhere to cover themselves.

I've paid way over the odds for my Oct 2010 cruise and although I didn't book in the hope I'd get a price drop and I am prepared to pay the full amount I do admit that price drops were part of my decision to book with RCI. I would not have paid that much for a similar cruise on a cruiseline that did not offer price drops. There are 5 of us and £175 each time I spot a price drop is a lot of admin fee for a couple of clicks of a button.

I think the point here is WHY is it only applying to the UK/European Customers ??

jj........

Because they can, the GBP will moan a bit like we always do and then we will just accept it. They would never get away with it in the States.

Just had another thought - our TA's have been charging admin fees for changes to bookings for years, while RCI generally have been very accomodating and making changes for free. Maybe RCI decided it was time they reaped the profits instead of the TA's. It should be interesting to see how the UK TA's react, they are going to loose a nice little earner.

I sent e- mails to the three addresses posted earlier in this thread and received this reply last night-

Many thanks for your email, which has been read and your comments noted fully by Jo, who has asked me to reply to you as she is now away from the office.

I can assure you that it is never our intention to show any difference in the terms and conditions or benefits applied to guests who book in the US, in the UK, or indeed in any of the markets we operate in across the globe. Obviously each country operates under it's own consumer and business laws and facets of this have to be taken into account when considering the different booking conditions between countries such as our and the United States. Each market will operate under the financial regulations set within that country and also the market forces that exist between companies competing for business, hence promotions that are offered to one country but not another and vice versa.

The changes we have made to our booking conditions are as a result of a careful review of the market conditions within the UK and we feel that they have brought us more into line with our competition, which is not only other Cruise Lines but the UK holiday market in general. We also feel it has made it easier for our guests and trade partners to understand the 'business rules' we are operating with. I am certain this has been carefully reviewed to ensure that we are operating fairly.

Your points about US cruisers booking multiple staterooms and the advantages of booking early are ones that Jo will take onboard and feed back to the appropriate staff.

Please let me end by thanking you for your continued loyalty to our ships. Whilst you have said you are struggling, I hope that the ships and the wonderful service provided by their great crews will persuade you that when all components of the holiday booking are considered, Royal Caribbean is still offering the best value cruise experience available and that we will be able to welcome you aboard one of our fleet in the near future.

Regards

Mark King

Manager, Operations Support Unit

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Cruises

UK & Ireland Guest & Trade Services

Aviator Park, Building 2

Station Road

Addlestone

Sounds like they are saying pretty much the same thing to everyone. I really don't know how they think they are treating all countries equally though. Imagine if they tried to charge these fees in the US!

Julie

The changes we have made to our booking conditions are as a result of a careful review of the market conditions within the UK and we feel that they have brought us more into line with our competition, which is not only other Cruise Lines but the UK holiday market in general. We also feel it has made it easier for our guests and trade partners to understand the 'business rules' we are operating with. I am certain this has been carefully reviewed to ensure that we are operating fairly.

The funny thing about the bit I have put in bold...I got an email from a UK TA website today that is now offering a 24 hour "cooling off period" when you book a cruise with them on RCCL,Celebrity & Azamara. They say that if within the 24 hours you want to cancel you can do so FREE of CHARGE.

So much for trade partners understanding the "business rules" RCCL are operating with !

I have a question for all those who use a US TA.

How did you all find one? Did you google it? We have ABTA ... are there any particular associations that I should be looking for?

I wonder if I could transfer my UK booking to a US TA or RCI US even. I think I need to do a bit of research, I'm not putting up with these new terms. I wouldn't have booked in the UK if I'd been made aware of all these new restrictions.

bookyourcruisewithme at yahoo dot com

I have used over the last 2 years total of 6 cruises and your payment goes direct to cruiseline not held by TA

I agree with you trollydolly, existing bookings should come under the existing T&C's. There must be some consumer law somewhere that says so, although I wouldn't surprised if RCI have some get out clause hidden in there somewhere to cover themselves.

I've paid way over the odds for my Oct 2010 cruise and although I didn't book in the hope I'd get a price drop and I am prepared to pay the full amount I do admit that price drops were part of my decision to book with RCI. I would not have paid that much for a similar cruise on a cruiseline that did not offer price drops. There are 5 of us and £175 each time I spot a price drop is a lot of admin fee for a couple of clicks of a button.

I think this is the reason that they are allowing one 'free' amendment; there is a change in the contract at which time they can state that 'standard terms and conditiosn apply' which will switch you onto the new terms and conditions for changes, a sort of legal slight of hand.

I love RCL, thier ships and the sailing experience, I booked Allure at a high price on the basis that if prices come down I can benefit from it. But my loyalty is being eroded by the the way RCL are making changes. I know no one likes changes, and that in hard time changes are needed etc., but the factor that leaves the really bad taste is the high level of discrimiantion that is involved in the way the detrimental changes are being made. Discriminain of any type is distasteful, and in buisness different markets may need some different treatment and terms etc, but this goes beyond market place differences, we have booked on the basis of spoecific buisness praticves and promises made (such as honouring price drops and being able to make changes) and they are chaging the goals posts after they have the money and it will cost us a despoist to leave.

Prior to this I was about to book for 2010, with the reassurance of being able to benefit from a price drop (without being charged for it!), now it looks like the best thing to do is sit tight and not make advance commitments, which would have helped with to RCL's cash flow.

I must admit, I never thought I would end making a post like this!

I emailed my agent at RCCL UK to let her know that I wont be booking my 50th Birthday cruise on the Indy Feb 2011 Owners Suite with her now.

I did explain that she hadnt done anything wrong, it is because I am against the new policy/charges.

Although my US TA is away in Alaska just now I know I can still email her and she will do my bookings for me instead...without me worrying about charges.

I think this is the reason that they are allowing one 'free' amendment; there is a change in the contract at which time they can state that 'standard terms and conditiosn apply' which will switch you onto the new terms and conditions for changes, a sort of legal slight of hand.

I love RCL, thier ships and the sailing experience, I booked Allure at a high price on the basis that if prices come down I can benefit from it. But my loyalty is being eroded by the the way RCL are making changes. I know no one likes changes, and that in hard time changes are needed etc., but the factor that leaves the really bad taste is the high level of discrimiantion that is involved in the way the detrimental changes are being made. Discriminain of any type is distasteful, and in buisness different markets may need some different treatment and terms etc, but this goes beyond market place differences, we have booked on the basis of spoecific buisness praticves and promises made (such as honouring price drops and being able to make changes) and they are chaging the goals posts after they have the money and it will cost us a despoist to leave.

Prior to this I was about to book for 2010, with the reassurance of being able to benefit from a price drop (without being charged for it!), now it looks like the best thing to do is sit tight and not make advance commitments, which would have helped with to RCL's cash flow.

I must admit, I never thought I would end making a post like this!

I agree theres no point in booking early £300 upfront which can't be refunded and you can't even get a good choice of cabins to choose from - better to hang on and see closer to the time and with the financial climate i'm sure other cruise lines will be bringing good offers to temp people !!

jj........

Ciao Liz et al,

FYI still not had a reply from my RCI booking agent.

Back in the UK Monday so will follow up on Tuesday.

Ciao Linda

Geez girlie what you doing online.:confused::D

I am guessing you arrived safely...now go eat some beautiful Italian food and perhaps drink some wine :D:D

Take care.

If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have booked my 2010 cruise so early. But it is done and I'm going to enjoy it whatever happens.

Will I book with RCI again... yes, but only to snap up a last minute bargain or via a US TA and I think many other people will be doing the same. My money is staying in my bank until then, if RCI want to play silly games then I can too!

Thanks MICKMAC :)

If I knew what I know now I wouldn't have booked my 2010 cruise so early. But it is done and I'm going to enjoy it whatever happens.

Will I book with RCI again... yes, but only to snap up a last minute bargain and I think many other people will be doing the same. My money is staying in my bank until then, if RCI want to play silly games then I can too!

Thanks MICKMAC :)

Mickmac did good ;):D

Spent ages last night picking a cruise out for 2011 to replace the one I was going to book on Monday with RCCL UK.

So as soon as I have checked with family etc and my US TA, then I can get that booked.

I never thought I would ever say I wont be booking here in UK again...very very sad that it has come to this. :(

Spent ages last night picking a cruise out for 2011 to replace the one I was going to book on Monday with RCCL UK.

So as soon as I have checked with family etc and my US TA, then I can get that booked.

I never thought I would ever say I wont be booking here in UK again...very very sad that it has come to this. :(

I feel exactly the same way, and it puts a downer on booking with RCL. Also, the US travel agent I used to use retried, so I now have to find a new one :(

I feel exactly the same way, and it puts a downer on booking with RCL. Also, the US travel agent I used to use retried, so I now have to find a new one :(

I hope you are able to find a new US TA :D

Mine just emailed me back...she is in Alaska just now on a cruise..and will sort out my new booking as soon as she is back, her assistant could have done it for me today but I am more than happy to wait till she is home:D

If that had been RCCL UK I wouldnt even have heard back till next week sometime.

Hi Liz I have often thought of using a US TA, but aren't you invoiced in dollars. If this is the case and at the time of final payment the value of the dollar against the pound drops you will pay more than was first converted at time of booking or are you paying the full balance up from as I would have thought this defeats the purpose. I am not criticising your choice of doing business, just that I am trying to way up the pros and cons and I would not like to gamble on the exchange rate. I am interested in peoples opinions who have been doing this practice. Some of my friends have done it this way but when the dollar was really weak they were getting a very good deal on the cruise in the first place at $2 to the pound. When they came to payng the final bill the exchange rate was 1.39 so the deal was not so attractive.

Archived