Tatoos

rickcop44

Okay, I'm probably dumb, I know. My wife and I are sailing on Pride on January 30 to the Mexican Riviera. She wants me to get one of those barbed wire or other kinds of tatoos that go around the bicep. My 26 year old daughter thinks it would be "awesome." Does anyone know of any reputable tatoo parlors in Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Vallarta that they'd recommend, or do you recommend what I want to do and that is, either get it in the US of A or tell them I'm too old for a tatoo?

You're never too old in my opinion. But some advise. Make sure that wherever you get on is using disposable needles and the ink is used only once, and that is on you. Also, a tattoo needs alot of care in the beginning. You must put antibiotic ointment on it the first two days, keep out of the sun and out of the water, (meaning no saltwater on it and no chlorinated water from a pool) for a few days. You may want to wait until after your cruise to get it. Or, get one of those henna tattoos to see if you really like having a tattoo.

Lisa

I'd suggest a tattoo artist at home in the USA, after your cruise. It'll still be winter and plenty of time to heal before summer swimming season.

I agree with Lisa...try a henna tattoo, but make sure it's not the fake henna that many have an allergic reaction to!

I used Neosporin on mine and had no problems with it. It was healed up and scabbed over in about a week. Scab was gone and tattoo ready for viewing in a couple of weeks.

Just remember...it's on there for a LONG time. Make sure you choose something you can live with.

Personally Id wait until after returning to get a permanent tattoo.. mainly because you will have to stay out of the water and I know for me thats alot of what I do when cruising is enjoy the water .... I got one a few years on my ankle and love it.. It does take a few days to a week to scab over and begin to heal...

What about getting an airbrushed tatoo on the ship to "try it out" before you get the real thing. I got one on the cruise and my husband thought it was real when I returned home with it! :) I also have a real one and the airbrushed one looked very real. I'd recommend this before getting something permanent if you're having ANY doubts. I agree, get one in the US if you're going to get it.

Rick, Sounds like you aren't quite sure you really want a tattoo?!

I totally agree with cmbagwell... I saw some tattoos they were doing on the Sensation on my last cruise. They last for quite awhile, but you're not committing to a lifelong thing, y'know?

Why not get one on the ship, and that way you'll know if it's what you really, really want to do permanently.;)

I'm going to agree with waiting until after you get home, or before you go. You won't be able to get in the pool, the ocean, the hot tub, the sauna, you are supposed to stay out of the sun, etc. Plus, it could be not so attractive... You want to be able to enjoy the cruise, not having to worry about "tattoo care" and oozing, cleaning, etc. Just MHO...

Guest Time2gocruzn

Here's my honest opinion. The whole barbwire around the arm thing around the arm is a little 1990 :D . There are many good tatoo artists, who are truely artists, that can come up with something WAY better than that, but similar. It is permant, so what you decide on as well as who you decide to have do it is a big deal. It does require a lot of care at first, care that would put a dent in caribbean cruise type activities. Be aware that of course they hurt but the inside (underneath area) of your arm is a very painful area to have done. It is an important decision, think it over. For health reasons, I wouldn't get it done on vacation. I would be very concerned with sanitation practices, no matter where you get it. ASK ABOUT IT! If you don't have nice arms don't do it. You asked so that's MHO, lol!:D Good luck whatever you decide!:)

Rick, doesn't sound like your real thrilled about it. If you decide to get one, get it here in the good 'ol U.S. of A., if for no other reason than it will have time to heal before you cruise, and if it does become infected, you can get treated here. Enjoy your cruise:)

I would never get a tattoo in Mexico. Don't risk it. I wouldn't even get my hair braided there ( well, I wouldn't subject myself to looking like a dork, no matter where I got it done). But seriously, a tatoo is something that you should really want, and it should be a symbol that means something to you. I thought long and hard about what I wanted before I finally did it, and I have never regretted doing it. I got a the Disney Cheshire Cat on the small of my back. I'm a professional, so I couldn't get it somewhere that could be seen.

Yeah, I have also heard that those barbed wire tattoos are passe. I have a friend that has one, and if she ever chooses to work in an office, she'll always have to wear a long sleeve shirt. It looks good on her now, but when she is older, she'll probably wish she never did it. It's not like getting a wierd hair-do that will grow out, only do it if it is something that you can live with forever, and at a reputable parlor. It's also not worth doing on vacation because you have to cover it up, and if you get it on your arm, you are going to end up with some strange tan.

You are never to old for anything in my opinion....I got my 1st tat at 47 and now at 53 I have 3 and thinking about another one (they are addicting). Mine were well thought out. I had to think about what they would look like when I'm 85. I was on the Elation over Thanksgiving and another passenger liked my armband so much that she took several pics of it and told me that is exactly what she had been looking for. But, I do agree with other posters. Stick to the good ole USA for your tat. Ask around. If you see some good ink on someone, ask where they had it done. Referrals are always the best.

Can I assume that your daughter and wife already have tattoos - and they just want to have you share in the pleasure? :D

How does getting one (in the U.S.) where it can't be readily seen sound? Or is it your objective to have people see it?

This will not help you regain your youth....;)

Tom

No one should *ever* get a tattoo because someone else wants them to. :rolleyes:

If *you* don't want it, for whatever the reason, don't get it.

LOL! I can't believe this, but I am going to whole heartedly agress with tef!! ;)

Don't ever do ANYTHING unless you want to do it!!

If you really do want one, please heave the common sense to speak with your doctor, who will recommend a 'clean' tatoo place. When my DD wanted her belly button pierced, she asked the family doctor (actually, the nurses and techs) where she should get it done. They told her a reputable place (after showing off their own piercings) and she had no problems with it.

FTLOG...don't get it done in Mexico!

LOL! I can't believe this, but I am going to whole heartedly agress with tef!! ;)
Shhhhhhhhh. :rolleyes:
FTLOG...don't get it done in Mexico
Especially in this case, what happens in Mexico *doesn't* stay in Mexico. I don't care *what* Tracy Byrd is talking about. :eek:

If you see a tatoo you like think about what it will look like when your skin starts to sag( like all of ours will unless we get plastic surgery) cause guess what that beautiful Rose will go from a stunning short stem to the ugliest long stem rose you have ever scene. I know from experience and I did have reduction surgery and it shorted the stem right up again.This is what I tell all my friends that are thinking of getting them "Like them now Like em later or Hanging"

Yes some places on the human body have more nerves then others but some people are also better at tollerating pain then others.I have two tatties one on my left "Girl" and one on my right ankle and I can tell you that getting a tattoo done so close to Bone really hurt me but other people it may not.

It is a personal decision that requires alot of thought.Don't do it because some one else wants you to THEY DON'T WASH OFF AFTER THEY ARE DONE!!!

As for the risk of disease absolutely get in done back home,I still have issues with the trip I am going on in March to Mexico on the Spirit but I decided to drink bottled everything and No salads,but Having a needle inject ink into me No matter if it is a new package or not NO Thank you!!Good luck with your choice!

regards from your friends to the North:)

Carnival Spirit march 1 2005

Carnival Sprirt( Southern Caribbean March 2004)

Carnival Paridise( Wester Caribbean May 2003)

Guest Time2gocruzn

Okay Tef. If you say they don't hurt, we'll believe you, you big tough stud muffin you, LMAO!!:D ;) :rolleyes:

Anyway I am sure pain tolerence varies from person to person. I think that most would agree that there is some level of "discomfort". My tat (on my ankle) was also very close to the bone, where there wasn't much meat and it REALLY hurt. I was sure the needle was tapping on my bone, lol. As for the arm bands, I know 3 people who have them, 2 male 1 female. They all said that while the outside area of the arm was tolerable, the underneath part was very very tender. I think the poster who said "FTLOG don't get it done in Mexico", Couldn't have said it better.:D :D

Okay Tef. If you say they don't hurt, we'll believe you, you big tough stud muffin you, LMAO!!:D ;) :rolleyes:
:confused: I said nothing of the sort.

Personally, I'd rather endure a root canal without the benefit of novocaine.

Personally, I'd rather endure a root canal without the benefit of novocaine.

TEF... have you ever tried a root canal w/out local anesthetic?:eek:

FYI...In favor of stronger and less reaction prone anesthetics, novocaine is now seldom used in dentistry...

Tom

Archived