Ladies dresscode at "formal" dinner night....

MikeNBec

I know that men wear a suit or tux at dinner on the ship,, but I was wondering what type of dress is allowed for women. I mean does it need to be a certain length? Can it be a dressy sun dress? What do most women wear?

Thanks for any comments!

Formal is a little dressier than a sun dress, but there's no need to go "whole hog". You will see everything from full length gowns to cocktail dresses to slacks with nice tops to church dresses. Even some prom dresses! I'd save the sun dress for one of the non-formal nights. I'm glad you asked this question as I'm sure there are others out there wondering the same thing. In the end, it's still a matter of personal choice, but that should give you some idea of the options. :)

The simplest answer to this question that I've ever heard in 20 years was to "wear whatever you'd wear to a wedding" on that night. Some people would wear a dressy pantsuit...others would wear a gown. It's up to you

Guest Time2gocruzn

So DO lots of ladies wear gowns? Because I got a new floor legnth black satin gown,halter neckline and open back whith a little embroideredy and sequins, that I LOVE! I don't want to feel overdressed! :eek: We never have any excuse to dress formal, so I really want to on our cruise. I don't want to feel out of place! Whaddaya think? Don't know if it makes a difference but we will be on the Miracle. Are both formal nights really formal, or is one a little less formal?

We have seen MANY women in gowns, don't worry! You won't feel out of place at all!! You will see plenty of full length formal gowns... My first cruise I wore a beaded/sequined from head to toe full length gown and was surprised to see how many others wore something similar! You will see women dressed in all different styles, but the majority are dressed very nicely!!!

LOL believe me u wont feel overdressed...... the women get all decked out on formal nites that it almost looks too overdone... u feel like ur back on the titantic.... not that theres anythin wrong wit that but personally at my age (21)... i dont think id wear a gown... my last cruise i wore a sparklely black dress with a plunging v neckline.. it was up to my knee and i even felt underdressed so dont even think for a moment that what ur wearing will be too much cuz chances are that someone (many people) will prob outdo what you're wearing

If you have them....dress to the "nines". We don't get to dress this way often.....

We will be on the New Years cruise so the second formal night will be New Years Eve. You can bet the farm this will be one night everyone is dressed really formal.

I am wearing a floor length blue velvet 1st formal night and a black floor length beaded gown for the 2nd formal night (New Years Eve).

It's your choice. I don't think anything dressy is inappropriate.

And what ever you do. HAVE FUN!

For some reason, the second formal night seems less formal. I guess it's all what you want to make of it. :)

Maybe it's because you've already had several days of nonstop eating and drinking. There wouldn't have been enough power in my foundation garment to get me back into the sparkly/slinky outfit I wore on the second night of our cruise! :p

Maybe it's because you've already had several days of nonstop eating and drinking. There wouldn't have been enough power in my foundation garment to get me back into the sparkly/slinky outfit I wore on the second night of our cruise! :p

That's why elastic is my friend! :D

Having problems with packing for hsb. He hates to dress up, I love to. What should I pack for him. He doesnt own a tux or a suit! How about nice pants and collar shirt with tie?

Which does he hate more- packing a suit/tux or wearing one??? Maybe you could talk him into renting something on board once he sees how special the night will be with your evening gown..... Just a thought..

Having problems with packing for hsb. He hates to dress up, I love to. What should I pack for him. He doesnt own a tux or a suit! How about nice pants and collar shirt with tie?

Since this is a 7-day cruise, there will be two formal nights. Although you will see children and some teenagers dressed this way for formal night, the largest majority of adult males will wear either a suit or a tux. I really believe that your husband will find that he is "underdressed" in slacks with a dress shirt and tie. Renting a tux onboard is an option, but there are also some great sales this time of year and purchasing a suit (or at least a sport coat)might make sense. I bought a suit for my teenage son at Penney's before our Thanksgiving cruise last year for about $52.00. It wasn't, of course, a top-of-the-line suit, but he sure looked great!!!! :)

On our last Carnival cruise, I noticed more knee length cocktail dresses than long gowns at the first formal night; the second fomal night was a lot less dressy. Men wore mostly suits; very few had on tuxes.

A few older women dressed in long sequined gowns, but many ladies wore very elegant black cocktail dresses and pant outfits. My rule of thumb is somthing you would wear to a dressy New Year's bash. Long gowns and prom type dresses are a little too much. Understated elegance seems to be the norm.

Other ships might be more dressy - we were on the Pride out of California.

Archived