What is your favorite food on RCI cruises?

Many of the chefs are from India.

I consider myself an Indian food snob and lover and I will say that the Indian food on board was actually really good.

We're just off the Mariner (on the 6/7 sailing) and Friday night at Jade was Indian night - it was amazing and definitely my favorite food of the entire cruise. Unfortunately, Friday night was also formal night and we wanted to dine in the MDR, so I'm embarrassed to say that I actually had "appetizers" at Jade before our seating in the MDR and took a big bowl back to our room for a midnight snack. 6 hours later and unheated, the food was still good :-) In case you're interested, it was Vegetable Biryani, Vegetable Korma and Tikka Butter Chicken - not to be missed! As an aside, I will say that the nan was almost inedible (too dry and hard), but I'll forgive them for that 'cuz they more than made up for it with the other stuff.

We enjoy the honey stung chicken the 1st day at lunch--when it isn't too dry. The sliced raisin bread at breakfast. Cinnamon scrolls at Cafe Promenade. Raisin oatmeal cookies in Cafe & Windjammer (sometimes they are too crisp for me, but they are still yummy) & the no sugar added peanut butter nes have whole peanuts in them. Lunch in the dining room: the salad bar where you tell th server what you want is excellent. We also liked an apple tart dessert that is served warm with vanilla ice cream in the dining room at lunch. Note that you can only have lunch in the dining room on sea days. Dinner: we still like the vidalia onion tart but it was better when it had the french fried onion rngs on top, scallop risotto, jalapeno soup, most cold soups, beef on the 1st formal night, souffles for dessert, and key lime pie. For the Windjammer afternoon "snack" we enjoy the chips & taco fixings including guacamole, cheese, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, etc--but you never know when they will offer it--it used to be every day. The scones are also good. There are a lot of good things if you pick & choose carefully. I do seem to gain water-weight so the food is more salty than I prepare at home.

I'm glad someone finally mentioned the key lime pie, which is my absolute favorite! On our Mariner cruise in April they had it at the Promenade Cafe on the first day, so I had to bring an extra slice for my cabin fridge! I also loved a lemon dessert I had one day at lunch in the dinning room and I'm also a fan of the MDR salad bar for lunch.

I loved the shrimp sandwich they had at the promenade Cafe one day and the coconut cookies. In the dining room they had a wonderful asparagus tart.

In Portofino I love the shrimp risotto, there is an eggplant appetizer that's awesome and also the calamari, yum! I don't think anyone has mentioned the seafood tower!

Chops has an incredible potato and procutto (sp) dish although it was better on our March Serenade cruise than the April Mariner one. I always have to have the chocolate mud pie too!

Leaving for the Freedom on Sunday, so I'll get to try all my fav dishes on that ship too!

• 3 months later...

I love the sundae they have at lunch in the mdr. It's so good with caramel , choc, banana's and nuts. And i love the asparagus soup in the MDR but Portofino's had it once and it was incredible. I love Johnny Rockets oreo sundae , Lobster in the MDR and the MDR at lunch has these tasty ribs.

I consider myself an Indian food snob and lover and I will say that the Indian food on board was actually really good.

We're just off the Mariner (on the 6/7 sailing) and Friday night at Jade was Indian night - it was amazing and definitely my favorite food of the entire cruise. Unfortunately, Friday night was also formal night and we wanted to dine in the MDR, so I'm embarrassed to say that I actually had "appetizers" at Jade before our seating in the MDR and took a big bowl back to our room for a midnight snack. 6 hours later and unheated, the food was still good :-) In case you're interested, it was Vegetable Biryani, Vegetable Korma and Tikka Butter Chicken - not to be missed! As an aside, I will say that the nan was almost inedible (too dry and hard), but I'll forgive them for that 'cuz they more than made up for it with the other stuff.

Wow. That's not the experience I had, at all. To be fair, I only tried the Indian food one night, but that was enough for me not to want to get it again. After the great Indian food I've had on land (and in India), RCI's Indian food tasted almost bland. Which is really not good for Indian food. Also, they served Pappadams (which I'm not crazy about, either) which are definitely dry and hard, and would have preferred Naan. I was thinking they had definitley toned it down for the tourist market, but maybe it was just a bad night for them.

Hey, I have a question. I think it's on the second formal night, they serve a dessert sampler of three desserts: a cheesecake, a chocolate cake, and a fruit flavored cake. The chocolate one had a really creamy texture and was really rich. I loved it and would love to have it in a larger piece. Is this a smaller portion of the flourless chocolate cake that everyone raves about?

Hey, I have a question. I think it's on the second formal night, they serve a dessert sampler of three desserts: a cheesecake, a chocolate cake, and a fruit flavored cake. The chocolate one had a really creamy texture and was really rich. I loved it and would love to have it in a larger piece. Is this a smaller portion of the flourless chocolate cake that everyone raves about?

I think so...there's also the warm chocolate cake, but that one is supposed to have the more runny center if I remember correctly.

Vidalia onion tart and spinach salad the first night. Garlic shrimp on Italian night. Flourless chocolate cake and coconut cookies. Some of the Indian dishes are really good. And lobster tail. I used to really love the "golden sea bass", but it is not as tasty lately. Of the soups I like the lobster bisque and the cream of asperagus. I do not understand the many people who note they like the honey stung chicken, but then I don't usually eat breaded, fried food. But I tried it once and it was like cardboard...dry and tastless. Oh well, to each his own.

The honey stung chicken is usually good but this past cruise on the Liberty was the exception. Didn't care for it one bit...

The lobster tails are great; Exotic actually ate hers and was satisfied. She usually hates lobster. Also, the lobster bisque is the second best I've had in my life - Ruth Chris' at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle wins top billing.

There was a cold, raspberry soup (?) one night that was a pleasant surprise.

And if you try the specialty restaurants for the filet mignon, go with Portofinos instead of Chops. $20/cover instead of $25 and the filet is better. Ironic, I know...

The vidalia onion tart. I loved the escargot, but it doesn't love me--to rich I guess. I enjoy most of my meals on RCI in all venues and if I don't I simply send it back and get something else.

Kerrie:)

I'm glad someone liked the escargot because I just didn't like it at all. Probably the worse thing I've had in all five of my cruises.

Is this a daily offering on most of the ships? Hopefully it will be on the Monarch - sounds really good. I dont think I have ever had custard stuffed french toast. I have always seen it stuffed with cream cheese and fruits. . .

Hmm...i have never seen stuffed french toast..i shall look on Ex in november.

that said, i make my own...i just stuff it with fruit, usually bananas, but sometimes peaches or other things...i cut the bread thick, and let it soak in the egg mixture over night, then bake it in the oven! Yummm....

sheesh i am getting hungry.

I love the Vidalia onion tart, the mushrooms in puff pastry, the almost osso bucco, the garlic soup, and the lobster bisque. I totally enjoy the salad bar too.These are from the MDR.

In Portofino I love, the eggplant tower, carpaccio, salad Caprese, pear and Gorgonzola salad, pasta ribbons with mascarpone mushroom sauce, the filet (far better than in Chops) and the flourless chocolate cake.

I will be on Mariners in 08/09/09. Love to eat but only want to eat what i can consume as not to waste food.

My last cruises were all Carnival and my last RCI was Monarch of the Seas which is aprrox 10+ years ago in Southern Carribean.

Since there are too much items, trying everything could end up wasting food.

Anyone with suggestions for favorite must die for food items, or item where you think we should not bother, please contribute.

:^)

Good afternoon,Ive been on the Mariner twice now 2007 2008 .Stay away from buffet unless your in a rush.Our favorite lunch in the MDR was ceasar salad with huge honking breaded shrimps.We most of us had that every day.{To Die For }

Archived