What is your favorite food on RCI cruises?

Everyone recommends this.

Is it really that wonderful?

What makes it so special?

I am looking forward to trying it. Will have two effects. If I like it I can come on here after my cruise and thank you all. If I hate it ...........................well, that ain't going to happen.:)

I LOVE it, whether you will or not is too be seen.

Last October we were on the Vision and went to the dining room for lunch one day. They had a fantastic Salad Bar with all of the options you could possibly want, including shrimp, proscuitto, beef, ham and many other items. It was a waiter assisted salad bar. We pointed and chose what we wanted and could have as much as we wanted. They then mixed the dressing in and served it to you. We absolutely loved it and are hoping they have this on our next cruise on AOS in October 2009. Does anyone know if this is usually offered when the DR is open for lunch? Thanks!

I forgot about this!!

We discovered this on our 2nd day and ate this every opportunity we had. Nothing like a 4-5 pound salad to keep the lbs off.

My salad was mostly meat and seafood though.

This thread is killing me!! The stollen in the morning! The filet in Chops and the "make your own " stir fry in the Windjammer. :D

Wow whats the "Make Your Own" Stir Fry? Is this available every day? Lunch or dinner? Are they any other "Make Your Own" things available?

Is the Honey Stung Chicken only available on the first day?

Last October we were on the Vision and went to the dining room for lunch one day. They had a fantastic Salad Bar with all of the options you could possibly want, including shrimp, proscuitto, beef, ham and many other items. It was a waiter assisted salad bar. We pointed and chose what we wanted and could have as much as we wanted. They then mixed the dressing in and served it to you. We absolutely loved it and are hoping they have this on our next cruise on AOS in October 2009. Does anyone know if this is usually offered when the DR is open for lunch? Thanks!

Is the salad bar available on all RCI cruises? (In particular Rhapsody).

Is there an additional cost for this?

I like all the Indian dishes because I can't make them at home.

I also like this certain mushroom pasta that they serve as an app one night and also in Portofino (I think).

The dining room salad bar they have at lunch is also very good.

Those savory bites are good too.

Everyone seems to like that Vidalia Onion Tart but I think it is Meh. (it is dry and too much crust)

Also scallop risotto which in the past, has been on a blah dinner night so I would order two as my dinner.

The raisin bread available at breakfast. Very similar to a Czech recipe

Yeah there is some bread that tastes like challah that has raisins and cranberries (?) and almonds in it that is very good at breakfast.

Is the salad bar available on all RCI cruises? (In particular Rhapsody).

Is there an additional cost for this?

The Tutti Salad is available fleet wide. It's offered only in the dining room but there seems to be a larger selection on the bigger ships. I was on the Rhapsody last week and had this every afternoon. It can literally be eaten as it's own entree. There is no charge for this but you do have to go thru a line to pick out your own ingredients as the chefs prepare your salad in front of you. It really is a great meal!

What have I missed? What is the $14.95 steak in the MDR that was referred to in one of the prior post?

The $14.95 steak is listed on the MDR menu in the evenings. It is an alternative selection other than the regular NY Strip that is offered every night. It is from the "Chops Grille" menu and prepared the same way. The Rhapsody and a few of the other ships do not have a Chops Grille so they now offer it on all sailings for dinner! It really is an incredible cut of meat prepared quite well!

Love the scallop risotto appetizer--best thing on the menu! Also love the jalapeno potato soup, BBB (creme brulee), key lime pie, and the tiny slice of chocolate flourless cake in the choco chino trilogy. All these are main dining room. Skip the garlic soup and crab cake apps.

Second to the scallop risotto, our favorite food is the delicious ham and cheese croissants from the promenade cafe. Don't miss these!

This thread is making me sooo hungry!! Thanks for all of the suggestions...I get to try them very soon.

Could someone please elaborate on the SAVORY BITES with a description. I have no idea what they are but yet I think I would like them...how weird is that?? I told you this thread is making me hungry!

Vidalia onion tart and spinach salad the first night. Garlic shrimp on Italian night. Flourless chocolate cake and coconut cookies. Some of the Indian dishes are really good. And lobster tail. I used to really love the "golden sea bass", but it is not as tasty lately. Of the soups I like the lobster bisque and the cream of asperagus. I do not understand the many people who note they like the honey stung chicken, but then I don't usually eat breaded, fried food. But I tried it once and it was like cardboard...dry and tastless. Oh well, to each his own.

I tried the honey stung chicken a few weeks ago...I took one bite and gagged, literally. I'm not a fan....sorry. :(

The garlic soup ( I couldn't stop eating it) and all the chilled soups are fab though. :)

We love, love, love savory bites. Savory bites - small triangle shaped rolls sometimes with bits of sun-dried tomato inside and topped usually with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. I managed to get a photocopy of the recipe from my waiter on one cruise, but alas in addition to potato bread mix (which I have managed to find) the recipe calls for "savory base" (no way of knowing what is in that). They also bake with steam - something the commercial ovens do that mine does not.

We love, love, love savory bites. Savory bites - small triangle shaped rolls sometimes with bits of sun-dried tomato inside and topped usually with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. I managed to get a photocopy of the recipe from my waiter on one cruise, but alas in addition to potato bread mix (which I have managed to find) the recipe calls for "savory base" (no way of knowing what is in that). They also bake with steam - something the commercial ovens do that mine does not.

i don't believe i've seen them with sesame seed, just poppy. are they MDR only, i don't recall seeing them in WJ:confused:

Mojitos in Boleros!! They are so good they have to be another food group. But the Tiramisu and Dessert Sampler in Portofino are to die for.

--------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000