What is your favorite food on RCI cruises?

No one has mentioned this:

the Lamb in CHOPS...it's wonderful, the best I've ever had, we go 1st night every cruise just for that.

and

YES, to the Savory Bites too!!

Bingo!! Just got off of the Mariner of the Seas.......a few nights ago, we were invited to Chops............and I went for the rack of lamb! It's some of the best that I have had!!

Also......at the Captains table on Tuesday night........the escargot..smaller than before.......but the sauce is done to perfection!!

Back to Chops. We love Portofino.........but found out this past week that we could order some items that we love from Portofino's......such as the spinich.......not offered in Chops. Being able to have something off of both menu's.......allowed us to have the best meal we have ever enjoyed in Chops!:);) Well worth the money!!

Rick

No one has mentioned this:

the Lamb in CHOPS...it's wonderful, the best I've ever had, we go 1st night every cruise just for that.

and

YES, to the Savory Bites too!!

my wife went for the lamb, but our server told us it was a small portion and insisted we add a second entry. i believe she added a fillet. it was to much. got so stuffed could not enjoy dessert. :o they had it sent to our cabin

my wife went for the lamb, but our server told us it was a small portion and insisted we add a second entry. i believe she added a fillet. it was to much. got so stuffed could not enjoy dessert. :o they had it sent to our cabin

Goodness!! I am stuffed after eating the lamb, the appetizers, the veggies, and of course the desserts....but if forced to order two entrees I would have taken two servings of the lamb.... that's how much I love it!!!

I like all the Indian dishes because I can't make them at home.

I also like this certain mushroom pasta that they serve as an app one night and also in Portofino (I think).

The dining room salad bar they have at lunch is also very good.

Those savory bites are good too.

Everyone seems to like that Vidalia Onion Tart but I think it is Meh. (it is dry and too much crust)

Also scallop risotto which in the past, has been on a blah dinner night so I would order two as my dinner.

Are the Indian dishes pretty genuine?

Wow whats the "Make Your Own" Stir Fry? Is this available every day? Lunch or dinner? Are they any other "Make Your Own" things available?

Is the Honey Stung Chicken only available on the first day?

I don't think the make your own stir fry is every night in Windjammer. You go up and pick out all your ingredients and they cook them right in front of you! It's great!:D

The honey stung chicken is only available the first day. I'm not a big fan, but we all can't like the same things!

DH says RCI and Celebrity are the only lines that do eggs benedict properly. The eggs are not cooked hard.

He also looks forward to the Mozzarella Tower (egg plant) and Vegetarian Chili. He is not a vegetarian, so I am not sure why he even tried these, but, he always gets them when we cruise RCI.

The lamb shanks are always delicious, as was the onion tart last week on the Monarch. I've had the onion tart before when it wasn't as good as it was last week. I wish I'd have ordered two servings and just a salad for dinner that night it was sooooo good. I always enjoy the Indian dishes also. Sure they're toned down for the tourists, but wonderful all the same! I think they do phenomenal sugar free desserts also.

Chef Dirk, the Monarch's Executive Chef, oversees a good group of cooks! We met him and enjoyed a tour of the 3 galleys on board.

Here is my list so far:

Vidalia onion tart

honey stung chicken

green peppercorn sauce

Pear and Gorgonzola salad in Portofi

Chops bread pudding

Hot dogs with fried & fish

Napoleon

Chocolate flourless cake

Bran muffins

Coconut cake

Coconut cookies

Spinach salad

Garlic Shrimp on italian night

Crusted COD

Any cold soup

Chocolate rolls

scallop risoto

Escargo

Lobster

Cinnamon rolls

Garlic soup

Tiger Shrimp risoto

cream broule

Raisin bread

Tiramisu in Portofino

Asparagus cream soup

$14.95 steak in MDR

Lamb Chop

Lamb Shank

Feel free to add you favorite to list :^)

eggs benedict in the MDR

Croissants

onion tart as already mentioned

strawberry shortcake-sugar free (pretty good)

scones in the Windjammer later in the day

Johnny Rockets-onion rings and shake

Lox and capers

all the Portofino desserts

The chilled soups were absolutely FABULOUS. I could have eaten several bowls.

I've wondered if the fruit base for the soups also does double duty as the fruit base for some of the fruity "drinks of the day" ??? It woud make perfect sense on many levels... anyone else ever noticed?

I also recommend the stuffed French Toast in the MDR for breakfast.

Is this a daily offering on most of the ships? Hopefully it will be on the Monarch - sounds really good. I dont think I have ever had custard stuffed french toast. I have always seen it stuffed with cream cheese and fruits. . .

• The fruit tart thingies in the Windjammer on the first day lunch
  • Johnny Rocket onion rings in that sauce (ranch?). Oh, man, I'd sell my mother for a plate of those right now
  • Garlic soup in MDR
  • The spinach dip in MDR
  • The filet mignon in Chops
  • The creamed spinach in Chops (which I think they've discontinued)
  • The mushroom pasta appetizer in MDR
  • The warm chocolate cake on Italian night in MDR

Hmmmm .. I think I just figured out why I'm addicted to cruising on RCL despite all their shortcomings. One bowl of garlic soup and I forget all about those.

We were on the Mariner on 5/31 and I couldn't wait to try some of the things people on these boards rave about. I have to say I was disappointed in most of them. I attribute it to the fact that my DH and I are food snobs. ;)

• Vidalia onion tart - absolutely blah, tasted more like a bland quiche
  • Honey stung chicken - nothing more than cut-up breaded chicken cutlets w/ a soggy crust
  • Scallop risotto - Four small overcooked/rubbery scallops
  • Warm chocolate cake - Overcooked and nothing warm about it - served at room temp

My faves:

• Lamb shank
  • Bran muffins
  • Raisin bread

It was just amazing, I recently went on the Independence for the second time and waited till the 14 day of my cruise (the last night) for Key Lime Pie to be served but it was worth the wait....

Not sure if it is made with real Key Limes but it was just pure pleasure even nicer with ice cream...

Roll on November I can't wait to have it again.... mmmmmmm Yum! :D:D:D

Archived