Buffet for Dinner Instead of Main Dining

For those that choose to eat in the buffet for dinner instead of the main dining area (assuming somebody out there does this) do you find the food okay many nights over? I don't want to miss out on too much but the group I'm traveling with (myself included) are not much for dressing up so we are likely to just do the buffet every night depending on responses here.

This is not meant to be a "dress code" discussion. I respect the requirements in the main dining area thus our planning on the buffet most if not all evenings. We are very casual dressers and don't want to have to be overly concerned with changing out of shorts if we so choose. We are planning the port intensive Southern Cruise on the AOS so may often be going to dinner directly from a day in port.

Thoughts on the buffet? Will it get old real quick? Is there only the buffet available in the evening?

A lot of times I eat most dinners from the buffet on cruises.

It's fine and you won't be the only one. It's not the same food as the dining room obviously, but I often like "simpler" food and not going thru the formality of many courses and a 1 1/2 hour dinner. If my son is not dining with me, or if I'm tired from a hectic port, I prefer to just eat in the buffet area.

Having said that, on the last cruise I ate in the dining room every night, but I was on the cruise with my father so I had good company who actually liked to dine there! Also, it was only a 4 day cruise, as opposed to my normal 7 day.

I would be prepared to dine in the main dining room a couple of nights, in the event it does get old but the food on the buffet is not the exact same every night. I am a picky eater so I don't mind eating the same types of food every night though

We have eaten in the WJ for dinner many times. They have a lot of the same foods that are in the main dining room though not the lobster or filet of beef. They sometimes have a guitarist which was a nice surprise. We have seen the staff come around with green tea, biscotti, dessert trays and drinks. It is a great choice if you have a late port day or just don't feel like a long, drawn out meal in the dining room.

We have eaten in the WJ for dinner many times. They have a lot of the same foods that are in the main dining room though not the lobster or filet of beef. They sometimes have a guitarist which was a nice surprise. We have seen the staff come around with green tea, biscotti, dessert trays and drinks. It is a great choice if you have a late port day or just don't feel like a long, drawn out meal in the dining room.

I got that green tea and biscotti on the Freedom Class, so I guess only ships with jade offer green tea.

If anybody knows, does Royal Caribbean post the dinner menu outside of the dining room during the day? I know Carnival does, and it helps to decide if we want to go to the DR, buffet, or alternative rest. that evening. Some things can't be missed in the MDR, but others I can go without. Will be different for us this time, as we'll have two kids with us, and may not want to torture ourselves or other pax in the DR.

If anybody knows, does Royal Caribbean post the dinner menu outside of the dining room during the day? I know Carnival does, and it helps to decide if we want to go to the DR, buffet, or alternative rest. that evening. Some things can't be missed in the MDR, but others I can go without.

Yes they do.....:)

My wife and I were recently on the Mariner OTS and dined in the Windjammer on all but one night. We loved it! They had some of what was in the dining room anyway, plus more. One evening the chef and one of the ship's officers came around to chat with the guests. I liked being able to custom "build" my meal. Another great advantage was that we were able to get a table by the windows! :D

This makes me a happy girl. We will take at least one casual outfit for a night or two (formal is out of the question) so that we can at least consider the main area on a casual night but so glad to hear that it sounds like we will be equally happy with the WJ.

Some of my group went on only one other cruise (Disney 4 day) and we actually did the main dining every night as we didn't even realize we had alternative options and we thought the different dining venues would be a nice experience anyway. While they were nice, we felt it was a major ordeal to get dressed a certain way and it all felt so scheduled. Looking forward to a more laid back approach to the entire cruise experience and expect we will like it much more.

Happy to hear any other experiences.

I've been on 5 cruises and never stepped foot in the MDR. Like many other posters, I don't like to deal with schedules and the ordeal of changing. The WJ is absolutely perfect with so much variety, including a killer salad bar. Plus, it's open for breakfast and lunch...even snacks in the afternoon.

Jade is in/near the Windjammer.

They do change most of the selections in the buffett every night so you will not get bored with it and the quality is good as well.

I have been on 5 cruises and ate in the MDR on the first night of the first cruise, and the rest of the time has been the Windjammer.

My last cruise I ate all dinners with the 7 people I met on Cruisie Critics.

Were it not for the CC folks I would have been wasting my precious cruise

time. I was on the Navigator and whereas I adore the ship (been on it 2x)

I can do without the dining room food.

MY usual schedule on the 4 nighters are 2 nights in speciality restaurants

(chops & portofino) and 2 nights in the dining room. I think that on the

next cruise (Enchantment 11/09) I will do 2 nights at the Windjammer.

I love the Chops food as I am a big beef fan but the dining room food

is mediocre and not worth the time spent.

The less time spent in the dining room, the more time spent having fun!!!

I usually tip in the dining room based on the nights I eat there and I

use the designated formula $3.50 per day per person.

If you never eat in the dining room I do not see how you could feel obligated. Yes, the dining/wait/room staff do count on their tips

but if you do not use the dining room staff I cannot see how you

would be obligated.

Example: I had a bad room steward= he was unfriendly and when I

would ask for something he would forget and I would have to ask

more than once. He never replaced my toiletries in the bathroom and

I never asked him for anything special. In the end I felt obligated to

tip him the $15 for the 4 days just because he did put some (if little)

effort. If I were you and never went to the dining toom I would not

leave a gratuity.

This is good news. Going on my first cruise, a 12 night one, and don't want to dress up for a food marathon in the main dining area.

On the long cruises very few dress up beyond "golf" shirts and dockers most nights. I would not let dress keep you out of the main dinning room. I agree if the reason is you dont want a long dinner then yes eat at the WJ the food is good and sometimes better.

Ok after reading all your responses I have a question, when we arrive on the ship the first day do we need to know in advance where we are going to eat or can it be done on a day by day thing. I just assumed most people ate in the MD most of the time. We don't know as this is our first cruise so if someone could give us how this dinner thing works it would be great.

I've been on 5 cruises and never stepped foot in the MDR. Like many other posters, I don't like to deal with schedules and the ordeal of changing. The WJ is absolutely perfect with so much variety, including a killer salad bar. Plus, it's open for breakfast and lunch...even snacks in the afternoon.

I'm with you, we hit Chops a couple times though.

Ok after reading all your responses I have a question, when we arrive on the ship the first day do we need to know in advance where we are going to eat or can it be done on a day by day thing. I just assumed most people ate in the MD most of the time. We don't know as this is our first cruise so if someone could give us how this dinner thing works it would be great.

OK, please correct me if Im wrong people. You have two choices when dining in the Main Dining Room (MDR):

1. Set times. Your seapass will show which seating you have at dinner and what table you are located at. Your table won't change during the trip unless you ask the headwaiter to change (this includes both tablemates and waitstaff). Some people go to the MDR in the afternoon of the first day to find out what table they are sitting at.

2. My Time Dining (MTD): You prepay your tips for the waitstaff at the start of the cruise. Then you show up when you want. If there is a particualr table/waitstaff you want, you can ask for a particular time.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

Jake

Archived