Buffet for Dinner Instead of Main Dining

we use to do main dining room every night- then i ran late a couple times so we went to w.j. and have alternated between the 2 depending on how we felt/ timing- ever since- on the last cruise....in jan- we felt like the w.j. food was not up to par for some reason- voyager of the seas, in case that makes a diff.- in aug. we will probably give the wj another shot one night to see how it is and if we like it we will eat there a few times probably-

as for tipping- we tip rec. amt to everyone and add some to those who do an exceptional job- even if you never eat in dining room, those ppl work in wj rotations during the day breakfast and or lunch - you are eating somewhere on the ship, right? the tip takes care of all those who have served you in some capacity or another- jmho...

I have a question as I am just curious - please do not attack me :p

If you never dine in the mdr - do you still tip or skip the tip? I wonder how that works?

On our last cruise we never made it to the dining room.Winjammer had everything we could possibly want,and then some.I even had a HUGE prime rib one night.You will be given envelopes at the end of the cruise for gratuities (I hope I spelled that correctly) which are for your MDR staff as well as your stateroom attendant.I can't remember how much $ though.

This is how my last 2 cruises went.

2008-NOS, 5 days never went in the main dinning room ate in the W/J or johnny rockets.

2009 NOS 5days, dining room 1st night and sea day. 1 W/J 2 Johnnys. we would look to see what the MD was serving before making a decision as to if we went in the dining room or not we were also on late sitting which on the nights we ate in the dining room we left at 11.30 too late in my opinion for eating then to go to bed.

I think next short cruise we do we will prob not do the MD I feel it resticts your evening.

We enjoyed several dinners in the WJ on our last cruise and I expect we'll dine there a few times on our next cruise as well. We'll be doing MTD on the next one which gives us more flexibility so I'm inclined to think our decision will be based more on the menu than timing this time around.

FWIW, we saw out waiter & assistant waiter in the WJ every day and they always made sure we were well taken care of. There was never a question that they would receive [at least] the recommended gratuity however, because they took such good care of us, we added some cash even though we only ate in the MDR 4 of the 12 nights.

In the past when we knew we were not going to use the MD during the entire cruise we went to the matire Di the first day & released our table... we always book for early seating & this gives others a chance who wanted early but did not get it have our seats.....

The MDR wait staff typically rotates into the Windjammer. Tips for the wait staff are received through your table assignment in the MDR.

If you don't tip the MDR wait staff you are not tipping any of the dining staff. That's why MTD requires pre-paid gratuities. If you go to the Windjammer for all dinners then the wait staff assigned to the table you "vacated" in the MDR receives no tips for your seats during that cruise.

My wife and I were recently on the Mariner OTS and dined in the Windjammer on all but one night. We loved it! They had some of what was in the dining room anyway, plus more. One evening the chef and one of the ship's officers came around to chat with the guests. I liked being able to custom "build" my meal. Another great advantage was that we were able to get a table by the windows! :D

Do they have the appetizers from the MD at the buffet too or only some main courses? Thanks!

I usually tip in the dining room based on the nights I eat there and I

use the designated formula $3.50 per day per person.

If you never eat in the dining room I do not see how you could feel obligated. Yes, the dining/wait/room staff do count on their tips

but if you do not use the dining room staff I cannot see how you

would be obligated.

Example: I had a bad room steward= he was unfriendly and when I

would ask for something he would forget and I would have to ask

more than once. He never replaced my toiletries in the bathroom and

I never asked him for anything special. In the end I felt obligated to

tip him the $15 for the 4 days just because he did put some (if little)

effort. If I were you and never went to the dining toom I would not

leave a gratuity.

On those nights you don't eat in the main dining room can I assume that you tip personnel in the Windjammer? I also hope that you realize that the wait staff who serve in the dining room at dinner time can also be found working in the Windjammer during breakfast and lunch so the tips that guests pay at dinner at the end of the week are intended to cover all of your food service during the entire week, not just the dinners served in the MDR. You may never go to the dining room but unless you intend to fast for the entire cruise, you might consider that you owe the hardworking wait staff some remuneration.:rolleyes: Your cruise fare also covers some things which you might not avail yourselves of, so I perhaps you would like the line to rebate you for the cost of those items that you do not use.

Frankly when you put the nominal amounts of suggested tips in the context of the total fare you are paying for your cruise, it does appear a bit unseemly to withhold tips for whatever reason you can conjure up.:rolleyes:

It's all a matter of preference....my husband prefers the Windjammer and I prefer the MDR for dinner, so we compromise. We look at the posted MDR menu for the evening and then decide if something looks good. If not, we'll go to the buffet. And, yes, we always tip the MDR staff the entire amount they're due, no matter how many times we eat there.

Stephanie

It's all a matter of preference....my husband prefers the Windjammer and I prefer the MDR for dinner, so we compromise. We look at the posted MDR menu for the evening and then decide if something looks good. If not, we'll go to the buffet. And, yes, we always tip the MDR staff the entire amount they're due, no matter how many times we eat there.

Stephanie

Have they been posting a menu for the Windjammer lately? The last time I was aboard it was just a generalized list. I like to plan ahead & compare what they'll be serving.

Ok after reading all your responses I have a question, when we arrive on the ship the first day do we need to know in advance where we are going to eat or can it be done on a day by day thing. I just assumed most people ate in the MD most of the time. We don't know as this is our first cruise so if someone could give us how this dinner thing works it would be great.

If you do the "traditional" MDR. your seapass card will show you the time, dining room and table #. This will remain the same throughout the cruise. You will also have the same tablemates.

They now have a "My Time Dining" choice where, you may choose when you want to eat. I have not yet done this on Royal so I don't know all of the specifics.

Passengers are a mix: some want the WJ, some want the MDR, others want to dine in the Specialty Restaurants.

On our last several cruises we had every dinner in the Windjammer. Some items will be offered in both the dining room and the Windajmmer. Some items will only be offered in the dining room and some only in the Windjammer.

I much prefer eating dinner in the windjammer. It is quiet with a very nice atmosphere. There is no one rushing around and you can eat at your leasure without worrying about being there at a certain time or having to be out by a certain time. I found that it made the cruise quite relaxing. We sat in the same area each evening and had the same waiter. He was very attentive to us and would bring us drinks and keep them refilled. And though you do go up to get your own food I rather prefer doing that. Although, I suppose if you asked him to get you some food he probably would. He did want to get our desserts for us but we declined. I like getting my own. He was far more attentive then the service that we had aboard Mariner in her dining room.

When we cruise next I'm sure we will be using the Windjammer again instead of the dining room

The MDR wait staff typically rotates into the Windjammer. Tips for the wait staff are received through your table assignment in the MDR.

If you don't tip the MDR wait staff you are not tipping any of the dining staff. That's why MTD requires pre-paid gratuities. If you go to the Windjammer for all dinners then the wait staff assigned to the table you "vacated" in the MDR receives no tips for your seats during that cruise.

No, I eat in the Windjammer all week and I tip the staff in the Windjammer. They are the ones that provided me service. So don't make blanket statements like the one you made above.

On our last cruise on Adventure we didn't even have a table assigned to us when we checked in. Was I supposed to go to the dining room to get a table assignment that I wasn't going to use just so I could show up on the last night to tip some staff that I never set eyes on and never provided any service to me? I don't think so.

If anybody knows, does Royal Caribbean post the dinner menu outside of the dining room during the day? I know Carnival does, and it helps to decide if we want to go to the DR, buffet, or alternative rest. that evening. Some things can't be missed in the MDR, but others I can go without. Will be different for us this time, as we'll have two kids with us, and may not want to torture ourselves or other pax in the DR.

I don't know what ship you're sailing on, but you can search this forum and probably find a menu for your ship just so you have an idea. I think the menus stay the same for a while and some people post theirs with pictures from their cruises.

We always end up eating in the WJ for dinner a few nights. We enjoy the food and the relaxed atmosphere.

I have a question as I am just curious - please do not attack me :p

If you never dine in the mdr - do you still tip or skip the tip? I wonder how that works?

It depends on your outlook on life I suppose, The servers depend heavily on tips for their income, and can't do anything about no-shows, the luck of the draw perhaps. We missed dinner just once when we ate in Portafino, but still tipped for the who 7 nights. I personally would, since it was my choice not to dine, not the servers, but that is me, YMMV.

As for me I enjoy eating in the main dinning room regardless of the food in the Windjammer (did the jam for breakfast & lunch). The change of clothes gives me a change in mind-set that I'm on vacation, and the staging of appy, entry, and dessert I find relaxing, but that just me.

Have they been posting a menu for the Windjammer lately? The last time I was aboard it was just a generalized list. I like to plan ahead & compare what they'll be serving.

I agree, I think the Windjammer is a generalized menu. At least it was the last time we were onboard. We look at the posted MDR menu to make our decision. If we don't find something we both like, we'll go to Windjammer instead. :)

Stephanie

Ok after reading all your responses I have a question, when we arrive on the ship the first day do we need to know in advance where we are going to eat or can it be done on a day by day thing. I just assumed most people ate in the MD most of the time. We don't know as this is our first cruise so if someone could give us how this dinner thing works it would be great.

You need to decide between Traditional Dining and My Time Dining, but beyond that, you can take each night as it comes.

Please note, you cannot switch back and forth between these two dining room services - pick one, stick with it.

We like My Time because early seating is too early and late is too late, and, by golly, I wanna eat when I'm hungry instead of when the clock says EAT NOW.

I also prefer to be served so would choose a dining room (whether traditional or myTime) over buffet.

We don't choose to spend extra on Speciality Restaurants, either, and have not done much with room service, and would not order an entire meal from it.

So, all that blather aside, here are your main dinner choices (there are other options like Johnny Rockets, etc., on some ships):

Traditional (Early or Late Seating), Windjammer Buffet, Chops/Portofino, Room service

OR

My Time Dining, Windjammer Buffet, Chops/Portofino, Room service

Please note, if you choose Traditional Dining and opt to not utilize the dining room it would be courteous to call the maitre'd and let him know you will be absent that night. This should keep the wait staff from waiting for you so they can begin service for those at the table already.

Chops/Porto require reservations and extra fee. I think dress code is smart caz every night

Traditional and My Time share published dress codes

Windjammer is casual

You will not go hungry, that is for sure. If you eat somewhere at 6 and are hungry again by 8, no reason you can't have another dinner somewhere.

I don't know what ship you're sailing on, but you can search this forum and probably find a menu for your ship just so you have an idea. I think the menus stay the same for a while and some people post theirs with pictures from their cruises.

We always end up eating in the WJ for dinner a few nights. We enjoy the food and the relaxed atmosphere.

Yes, lunch and dinner menus are posted on both the port and starboard side entrance lobby outside the dining room.

Breakfast - cabin or MDR

Lunch - MDR (sometimes WJ)

Dinner - two nights speciality, two nights MDR the rest WJ.

Luggage is so much lighter without "DRESS UP CLOTHES AND SHOES".:)

1 suit, 2 Dockers, 3 dress shirts, 2 ties, 4 polo shirts, 3 T-shirts, 2 shorts, 1 other long pants, 2 swim suits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, socks & underwear. It all fits in one checked bag (43 lbs) plus one carry on (18 lbs.). This is for a 7 day cruise. Add a polo shirt, socks and underwear for each additional day, if cruise is longer. Do not pack denim, since it is very heavy.

2 formal dresses, one sparkly top, one skirt, 3 Capris, 4 casual tops, 2 shorts, 3 T-shirts, 2 swimsuits, 1 pr dress shoes, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr sandals, socks, underwear and panty hose. This all fits into a checked bag (41 lbs) and a carry on (20 lbs) as well.

This is for a 7 day cruise. No problems with airlines and easy to maneuver to and from airport.

You might rearrange 2 -3 lbs from your checked bag to the carry on to make the 40 lb limit.

No, I eat in the Windjammer all week and I tip the staff in the Windjammer. They are the ones that provided me service. So don't make blanket statements like the one you made above.

On our last cruise on Adventure we didn't even have a table assigned to us when we checked in. Was I supposed to go to the dining room to get a table assignment that I wasn't going to use just so I could show up on the last night to tip some staff that I never set eyes on and never provided any service to me? I don't think so.

Then you are "most likely" the exception, not the rule. Why weren't you assigned a table?

Why can't everyone simply stay ON TOPIC, rather than berating one another? It is unnecessary and unwelcome.

Then you are "most likely" the exception, not the rule. Why weren't you assigned a table?

Why can't everyone simply stay ON TOPIC, rather than berating one another? It is unnecessary and unwelcome.

I have no idea why we didn't have a table assignment. That was the first time that ever happened.

As for staying on topic I believe you made a statement about tipping and I responded to that. You said ..."If you don't tip the MDR wait staff you are not tipping any of the dining staff". It seemed to me that you were berating folks who have a different viewpoint on tipping than you do. And you are correct, it was unwelcome. However, I may have misinterpreted your intent and if so then I appologize.

Archived