Buffet for Dinner Instead of Main Dining

I hate to have you stand in the door all mad because they wont let you in. I saw it last week when people did not want to but paints on.

I saw the rule you need paints for dinner in the windjammer or in any dinning room for dinner. You can call for room service and eat there before they charge you.

Yes I definitely still wanted to know the rules for WJ (which I said above when someone first mentioned this.) I just wasn't taking kindly to an attack on my daring to want to wear shorts to dinner where I thought it was permitted. I will surely not go against the dress code and trust what others have to say in that regard. I would rather know now than later, I guess I'm just surprised by this rule and honestly did not expect that the buffet had such requirements.

It turns out my question may be in vain if the buffet is not as relaxed as I thought.

Thanks all!

Yes I definitely still wanted to know the rules for WJ (which I said above when someone first mentioned this.) I just wasn't taking kindly to an attack on my daring to want to wear shorts to dinner where I thought it was permitted. I will surely not go against the dress code and trust what others have to say in that regard. I would rather know now than later, I guess I'm just surprised by this rule and honestly did not expect that the buffet had such requirements.

It turns out my question may be in vain if the buffet is not as relaxed as I thought.

Thanks all!

You can absolutely wear shorts to the Windjammer for dinner. I have NEVER seen anyone say anything differently before now. I think this poster is trying to make a joke as most of their posts are. You will be fine, we have been on our cruises that we have eaten in the WJ.

You can absolutely wear shorts to the Windjammer for dinner. I have NEVER seen anyone say anything differently before now. I think this poster is trying to make a joke as most of their posts are. You will be fine, we have been on our cruises that we have eaten in the WJ.

Last week people did not get in with shorts on. This was in Europe but I was the rule and so did the people in shorts. Its not a joke.

I am getting so confused. I am trusting what everyone is saying and don't know what to think anymore. A rule that you can't wear shorts or at least be truely casual in a buffet for dinner is actually off putting to me and I was really having a hard time believing. The Royal Carribean site is not very clear given they refer to it as casual dress which they do not clearly define except in reference to the MDR. I never even considered this to be in question either until now. I can't imagine why you would have to dress a certain way to eat pizza!

What you say here makes the most sense but don't want to disbelieve what others are saying.

Where does it say you can ware shorts at dinner time in the jammer?

I am getting so confused. I am trusting what everyone is saying and don't know what to think anymore. A rule that you can't wear shorts or at least be truely casual in a buffet for dinner is actually off putting to me and I was really having a hard time believing. The Royal Carribean site is not very clear given they refer to it as casual dress which they do not clearly define except in reference to the MDR. I never even considered this to be in question either until now. I can't imagine why you would have to dress a certain way to eat pizza!

What you say here makes the most sense but don't want to disbelieve what others are saying.

Casual in the MDR or Jammer at dinner time does not mean you can ware shorts there.

You will be fine in shorts in the Windjammer, I promise. I am not the only one on this thread saying shorts are fine. We have worn shorts on all our cruises in the WJ. The only time I ever saw someone turned away was when the guy had no shirt on and the woman was in a bikini.:rolleyes:

I have a couple of questions on My Time Dining.

Can you sit at the same table each night if you dine at the same time and let them know on the 1st day what time you would like to dine? We have a group of 10 and would like to sit together at dinner every night and would like the same table and waiters, but would prefer dinner at 7:00.

Is the menu the same for MTD as it is for the traditional seatings?

Thanks!

I hate to have you stand in the door all mad because they wont let you in. I saw it last week when people did not want to but paints on.

I saw the rule you need paints for dinner in the windjammer or in any dinning room for dinner. You can call for room service and eat there before they charge you.

I can see why they would get upset.......put paint on:p

Seriously are you on drugs:confused: There has never been a rule that shorts are not allowed at dinner in the buffet:rolleyes:

Taken directly from the Daily Planner portion of my Day 9 Compass, June 5, 2009:

Under the category "Dinner"

Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurant: No bare feet, caps, tank top shirts and bathing attire will be permitted at any time. Shorts will be permitted for breakfast and lunch only.

Windjammer Cafe': No bare feet and bathing attire will be permitted at any time. Tank top shirts and baseball caps will be permitted for breakfast and lunch only.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, OFFICIALLY, for dinner you cannot wear shorts in the Dining Rooms or Specialty Restaurants. ;)

Go and enjoy!

A~

We usually have dinner on cruises in the main dining room, but a few years ago we ate dinner in the Windjammer on the Radiance every night of a 7-night cruise and enjoyed it very much.

We had been eating heavy dinners all the previous week, so we just wanted to be free to eat whenever we felt like it on that cruise instead of being tied to the usual scheduled long, drawn-out dinners. As soon as we boarded the ship, we canceled our dining room reservations and informed the maitre d' that we would not be eating there so he could give our places to others.

Some of the things we liked about the experience:

It was much quieter, more relaxed and less crowded than the dining room; totally different from the atmosphere in the Windjammer at breakfast and lunch. In fact, there were few other people eating dinner there and we practically had the entire place to ourselves.

We could always sit wherever we wanted, right beside the enormous glass windows on either side or out on the open deck at the back, so we did not miss out on the scenery. Each night we would pick the most scenic view.

We enjoyed going around sampling different foods, putting a taste of this and a taste of that on our plates instead of choosing one main entree. They had a wide variety of foods from which to choose; even more choices than the dining room menu. It gave us an opportunity to try out some ethnic foods from different countries that we never had before and probably would not have ordered if they had been on the dining room menu.

I am more likely to try something new when I can actually see the food in front of me rather than just taking a chance reading off a strange name I can't pronounce from a menu. If I found something I liked, it was so easy to go back for more.

As for Windjammer attire, jeans and shorts were fine. We never saw anyone turned away. But since that was some time ago and there are so many contradictory opinions being posted here on this board, I would suggest you simply call or e-mail Royal Caribbean directly and ask them about their current policy.

i look forward to being waited on and enjoy hearing about what our tablemates did for the day. the WJ does not appeal to me. Carnival used to do a casual dinner in the lido, it had a limited menu, but they waited on you. we went there when the MD menu did not appeal to us

I ate in both venues on a recent Enchantment cruise. I found the quality better in the MDR. It seemed that leftovers from the MDR showed up on the buffet a day or two later. I like the built-in portion control in the MDR, as well. I always eat too much in the Windjammer!

And... I got food poisoning on my last day, likely from the WJ lunch or breakfast! Trip to the ship's doc at 2300 on my last night for a phenergan injection!

I think that the Windjammer is great for breakfast and so-so for lunch.

I have never tried it for dinner but it seems, after reading everyones

posts, that I should check out dinner, at least once.

Like I said, in an earlier post, on a typical 4 night cruise, I spend 2 nights

in the MDR and the other 2 in Chops & Portofino or Chops & Johnny R's.

I will eat in WJ at least once and try it. I agree with so many others, that

dinner takes so so so long in the MDR and if you have late seating you

can forget about many of the activities. Like, for ex. I like to see the

shows and most of the time, like on the Navigator, the show was before

dinner for us and after dinner for the early crowd. Too much rushing around. I may use MTD as well, sounds better.

BTW, this has been one of the more interesting topics I have seen

on Cruise Critic. I think that everyone can relate to it..

Where does it say you can ware shorts at dinner time in the jammer?

Where does it say that you can't? We have, on several cruises now, had all of our dinners in the Windjammer. And though I don't wear shorts in the evening as I find the ships rather cool inside there has never been an issue with people wearing shorts in the Windjammer for dinner.

Stop being confused and don't get upset. Short----dinner----Windjammer-- all go together.

Stop being confused and don't get upset. Short----dinner----Windjammer-- all go together.

Please dont get nasty at the poor crew person when they dont agree with you. You should call them and ask. Two weeks ago on the Jewel you did not get in with shorts on.

Please dont get nasty at the poor crew person when they dont agree with you. You should call them and ask. Two weeks ago on the Jewel you did not get in with shorts on.

I don't get nasty with the crew. They are rarely the people that cause any aggrevation on the ship.;)

I suspect that whomever was working the Windjammer the week you were there had some issue making the transition from working the dining room the week before. Your post is really the FIRST in years that I have ever read about this being an issue. I'm not at all saying that you are relating anything other than what you experienced. But I am saying that it is far from the norm or my past experience.

I don't get nasty with the crew. They are rarely the people that cause any aggrevation on the ship.;)

I suspect that whomever was working the Windjammer the week you were there had some issue making the transition from working the dining room the week before. Your post is really the FIRST in years that I have ever read about this being an issue. I'm not at all saying that you are relating anything other than what you experienced. But I am saying that it is far from the norm or my past experience.

There was a very nasty older person when told he had to put paints on for dinner in the Windjammer at the front door. The manager of the jammer was call in and told him the rules and showed the rules to him. He did not get in with shorts.

Taken directly from the Daily Planner portion of my Day 9 Compass, June 5, 2009:

Under the category "Dinner"

Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurant: No bare feet, caps, tank top shirts and bathing attire will be permitted at any time. Shorts will be permitted for breakfast and lunch only.

Windjammer Cafe': No bare feet and bathing attire will be permitted at any time. Tank top shirts and baseball caps will be permitted for breakfast and lunch only.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, OFFICIALLY, for dinner you cannot wear shorts in the Dining Rooms or Specialty Restaurants. ;)

Go and enjoy!

A~

Thank you, I am a happy girl again. I like "OFFICIAL" and it reads to me that the only thing not allowed at dinner in WJ is barefeet, bathing attrie, tanks and baseball caps which I have no intentions of wearing.

I never expected this kind of "discussion" about the buffet!!

There was a very nasty older person when told he had to put paints on for dinner in the Windjammer at the front door. The manager of the jammer was call in and told him the rules and showed the rules to him. He did not get in with shorts.

So this "very nasty older person" you are referring to is actually the person on your rollcall who was turned away from the WJ in shorts? Did you ever actually see someone turned away in shorts or are you just relaying this person's experience as your own? Your experiences posted here and on your rollcall seem to be very different.

Archived