Buffet for Dinner Instead of Main Dining

On the long cruises very few dress up beyond "golf" shirts and dockers most nights. I would not let dress keep you out of the main dinning room. I agree if the reason is you dont want a long dinner then yes eat at the WJ the food is good and sometimes better.

how long is dinner in the dining room?

I was on one cruise (Jewel, Panama Canal) where in the Compass it stated on formal night that shorts were not allowed in the Windjammer that night. I saw it and was surprised, though I have no idea whether or not it was enforced.

What in the heck do you know Silent Bob?

There are 102 responses and although there are multiple responses from the same people, there is only ONE who believes shorts can't be worn in the Windjammer. We've worn shorts and/or jeans to dinner in the Windjammer on multiple occasions.

And...................we've never worn paints in the Windjammer! :rolleyes:

No 2 the super from RCCL on the phone. Jeans you can shorts no way.

Maybe it's one of those "depends on who you talk to" things, but I just called RC Customer Service and was very clear with my question. "Are shorts allowed in the Windjammer for dinner?" I even told him that there was an ongoing thread on Cruise Critic regarding shorts in the WJ at dinner. He said "I know it's casual dining" but he put me on hold. A few minutes later he came back and told me that "Shorts ARE allowed in the Windjammer for dinner." "No bathing suits, tank tops, ballcaps or bare feet." And "no shorts for dinner in the MDR."

We've only had dinner in the WJ once, but I know my husband had shorts on, and I probably did too. If something's changed, I need to know, because I've told all the families we're sailing with that "if the teens don't want dress for the main dining room for dinner, they can wear shorts in the Windjammer."

I wear dress shorts each time I go into the WJ for dinner. Of course no "Daisy Dukes" but below the knee shorts with a nice top.

not my personal favorite either, but if the daisy dukes are covering up the bathing attire, you will be fine in the WJ :p

A~

Since the printed rules in the Compass and on RCI's website state that shorts are permitted in the Windjammer for dinner, if I were going to eat in the WJ for dinner and I wanted to wear shorts, I would do so-- but do so knowing that a staff person ignorant of the rules may tell you that shorts aren't permitted. If the Compass on your cruise says that you are allowed to wear shorts, and you get turned away anyway, I would take it up with Guest Relations and (politely) inform them that it appears as though the staff in the WJ are unclear as to the rules about dress in the WJ during dinner. There are so many nuances related to booking a cruise, dining, dress, what is a suite and what isn't a suite, how much OBC you get for booking onboard, that it is easy for the left hand to be out of sync with the right. Just my $0.02.

Since the printed rules in the Compass and on RCI's website state that shorts are permitted in the Windjammer for dinner, if I were going to eat in the WJ for dinner and I wanted to wear shorts, I would do so-- but do so knowing that a staff person ignorant of the rules may tell you that shorts aren't permitted. If the Compass on your cruise says that you are allowed to wear shorts, and you get turned away anyway, I would take it up with Guest Relations and (politely) inform them that it appears as though the staff in the WJ are unclear as to the rules about dress in the WJ during dinner. There are so many nuances related to booking a cruise, dining, dress, what is a suite and what isn't a suite, how much OBC you get for booking onboard, that it is easy for the left hand to be out of sync with Sthe right. Just my $0.02.

Show me where shorts are permitted in the Windjammer for Dinner.

Why is the staff person igorant when they wont let you in with shorts and at Guest Relations there unclear as to the rules. You might be the one who is unclear of the rules.

Show me where shorts are permitted in the Windjammer for Dinner.

Why is the staff person igorant when they wont let you in with shorts and at Guest Relations there unclear as to the rules. You might be the one who is unclear of the rules.

It isn't all that difficult. It says on RCI's website that "The Windjammer is always casual, but bare feet and tank tops are prohibited for dinner". This means that shorts are allowed-- period. You can try to wiggle your way around this by acting as though this doesn't mean that shorts are allowed, but that's not the case. If shorts were prohibited, they would say they were-- as they do in the guest conduct policy and on the Compass a few lines away, where they state that in the MDR, shorts are not permitted for dinner.

I am not unclear as to the rules; I can read. You're the only person on this thread who is insisting that shorts are prohibited, probably because you wish that they were. I follow the rules in the MDR and every other dining venue to the letter, and have never strayed from the dress code, but the dress code in the WJ, like it or not, does not prohibit shorts. Period. For you to continue to insist otherwise may be a novel exercise for you, but it's misleading and unconstructive for people who are trying to discern the facts about dining in the WJ versus the MDR.

Can you guys pause this for a moment.... I need to get more popcorn ...

And, I thought I came to see a program about the why and who eats at WJ instead of MDR.... silly me.

LOL!!!!

Love the WJ for dinner. Dine there every formal night as I have no desire to 'dress up'. Food is great-great selection-great service and thinking of making that our dining experience as the convenience is unbeatable.

Tippong-do as you feel comfortable. Pre-pay,tip MDR the whole Magilla or tip your servers. Do what you feel is best and by no means share with anyone who, what or how you tipped or your opinion on this!!!:p

Attire-WJ seems to be much more casual in the evenings and I'll bet a nice short outfit would get you in. Seems to vary from ship to ship. The dress police seem to skip the WJ for dinner!!! ;)

On AOS I've seen the Captain eating in the WJ many nights for dinner. I've always wondered who was eating at the "Captain's Table" that night in the dining room.

was the captain is shorts or paints?:rolleyes:

If you decide on the WJ please release your table in the main dining room. We just got off a 3 night cruise where we were sat at a table for 10...one ourselves (2 people) and another couple showed up. So we had a huge table with only 4 people...it felt weird. If the table had been released then maybe some of the "your time" diners could have been sat with us. We love the md room ...there was a whole table of people with shorts on in the main dining room. I think the rules are inforced depending on the ship because no one said anything to this table of 8 with shorts on.

Archived