Passengers Sailing From Vancouver

ceilidh1

Originally Posted by ranchette viewpost.gif

Can we use the U.S. Direct Program if our flight doesnt leave until10:30 P.M. on the day of debarkation?

I believe that you can still do the program, but you will be taken directly from ship to airport and will not be permitted to leave the airport. That's an awfull long time to spend at an airport!

Not only can you not leave the airport, you can't even leave the US departure wing of the Intl terminal. Personally if your flight isn't until 10:30, I'd relax on board, let everyone else madly run off the ship and leasurely walk off at 10:30 or so after a nice sit down breakfast. Clearing Canadian customs & immigration is rarely a long wait, and if you don't hit the airport until 8:30pm, you'll find the wait isn't long at all for US C&I

Not only can you not leave the airport, you can't even leave the US departure wing of the Intl terminal. Personally if your flight isn't until 10:30, I'd relax on board, let everyone else madly run off the ship and leasurely walk off at 10:30 or so after a nice sit down breakfast. Clearing Canadian customs & immigration is rarely a long wait, and if you don't hit the airport until 8:30pm, you'll find the wait isn't long at all for US C&I

I think we'll try to get a hotel room at the airport and leave our luggage there take the train back to Canada place and sightsee. Do you know of any inexpensive hotels at the airport we could get for a day?

I think we'll try to get a hotel room at the airport and leave our luggage there take the train back to Canada place and sightsee. Do you know of any inexpensive hotels at the airport we could get for a day?

There is a left luggage facility downtown at the Canada Place cruise terminal, called CDS. http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

That would be my recommendation, rather than heading out to the airport and back again. You wouldn't be able to check in your baggage, because for US departures, you drop your baggage on the FAR side of US Immigration and Customs, which if you clear, you're stuck at the airport

• 2 weeks later...
ceilidh1,

Thankyou for answering my question about visas. My next question is We are Sailing on the Carnival Spirit 9/7/2010 from Seattle to Glacier Bay back to Vancouver. The Spirit then on the same day sails Vancouver to Hawaii on the 9/14/2010 we want to be on that cruise also. But some people are saying we can not do it due to the Passenger services Act. Carnival say we can. If I understand the Act that is why the Spirit is stopping in Vancouver because it is a foreign port. Is this so.

I had a similar problem with Princess. They don't consider Vancouver an International port for certain cruises. I wanted to go SEA-YVR then same ship YVR-LAX. For this particular voyage, YVR was not international. Why they consider it Intl. for some cruises and not others is crazy.

chloe kitty

• 8 months later...
The Pan Pacific is right above Canada Place - they will have no problem getting your bags down there for you. If your mother is 80, I would suggest requesting a wheelchair at the pier - that way she won't need to worry about standing in line for a long time and they will fast track you through and wheel her right to the ship! Holland America usually begin check in before Princess (not sure if your date is a Saturday, if so both lines will be in port) so you might want to get there very early (around 11am) or much later (around 3:30pm) if you wish to avoid the crowds. Alternatively, get a wheelchair and try to get fast tracked! Good luck!

We have requested a wheelchair from HAL for boarding. Will we have any problems getting to the wheelchair? (For example: Are there other lines to wait through first? Will there be so much confusion that I won't be able to get around? Anythig else I might encounter?) Unfortunately, we have a Saturday departure.

Thank you for answering questions for us.

We have requested a wheelchair from HAL for boarding. Will we have any problems getting to the wheelchair? (For example: Are there other lines to wait through first? Will there be so much confusion that I won't be able to get around? Anythig else I might encounter?) Unfortunately, we have a Saturday departure.

Thank you for answering questions for us.

This is really dependent on the number of ships in port that day and the time you arrive versus the number of passengers that arrive at the same time. Cruise season has just started here, so lots of new staff and the going is a little slower than it will be in a couple of weeks. Last week we had a 3 ship day and there was a 2 hour line up just to get into the terminal - if this is the case, you likely won't get a wheelchair until you are through to the terminal. Once in the terminal, you should have no problem getting a chair - they are brought off the ship and will be waiting in the terminal. I would advise NOT getting there early - security and immigration will not open until 10:45am, so anyone getting there prior to this time will need to wait and then a line starts building. The quieter times are usually 2:30-3:30. Just make sure that you find a rep (doesn't need to be Holland) as soon as you arirve and ask for a wheelchair.

Where can you get luggage tags at the pier? Do the porters who take your bags have them?

When you drop your luggage with the longshoremen prior to entering the pier, you can request luggage tags. They have them for each ship that is in port.

This is really dependent on the number of ships in port that day and the time you arrive versus the number of passengers that arrive at the same time. Cruise season has just started here, so lots of new staff and the going is a little slower than it will be in a couple of weeks. Last week we had a 3 ship day and there was a 2 hour line up just to get into the terminal - if this is the case, you likely won't get a wheelchair until you are through to the terminal. Once in the terminal, you should have no problem getting a chair - they are brought off the ship and will be waiting in the terminal. I would advise NOT getting there early - security and immigration will not open until 10:45am, so anyone getting there prior to this time will need to wait and then a line starts building. The quieter times are usually 2:30-3:30. Just make sure that you find a rep (doesn't need to be Holland) as soon as you arirve and ask for a wheelchair.

Thanks!

On Sunday Sep. 19, 2010, the Port Schedule shows 3 ships already booked for Canada Place (Celebrity Mercury on CP East, Ryndaam on CP North and Statendaam on CP West) -- our cruise on the Norwegian Pearl, as well as another cruise on the Rotterdam, are listed as TBA.

Is it likely we'll end up at Ballantyne? Is that normally a less busy pier? Or are the lineups the same or worse?

On Sunday Sep. 19, 2010, the Port Schedule shows 3 ships already booked for Canada Place (Celebrity Mercury on CP East, Ryndaam on CP North and Statendaam on CP West) -- our cruise on the Norwegian Pearl, as well as another cruise on the Rotterdam, are listed as TBA.

Is it likely we'll end up at Ballantyne? Is that normally a less busy pier? Or are the lineups the same or worse?

I don't think any ships are scheduled for Ballantyne this year.

I've done 2 cruises from Vancouver, for one the check-in was utterly chaotic and took hours, and for the other it was a breeze. The first time there were 4 ships, second time 3. After reading this thread, I'm glad my Sept cruise leaves Vancouver on a Wednesday!

Ballantyne will only be open for one ship day this season, so I would assume it will be this day - no way would they put 5 ships in at Canada Place...we just couldn't cope with that many passengers!

Thankyou for answering my question about visas. My next question is We are Sailing on the Carnival Spirit 9/7/2010 from Seattle to Glacier Bay back to Vancouver. The Spirit then on the same day sails Vancouver to Hawaii on the 9/14/2010 we want to be on that cruise also. But some people are saying we can not do it due to the Passenger services Act. Carnival say we can. If I understand the Act that is why the Spirit is stopping in Vancouver because it is a foreign port. Is this so.

I had a similar problem with Princess. They don't consider Vancouver an International port for certain cruises. I wanted to go SEA-YVR then same ship YVR-LAX. For this particular voyage, YVR was not international. Why they consider it Intl. for some cruises and not others is crazy.

Let me assure you that Vancouver is always a foreign port.

The OP who said they wouldn't be able to do the B2B is correct, it is not a valid itinerary, because it's considered a single voyage, not two

they're traveling SEATTLE -> cruise -> HAWAII which requires a 'foreign distant port' under the PVSA. Likewise you wanted to go SEA-cruise-LAX with a stop in Vancouver

When you B2B it's a single cruise for the application of the PVSA

PVSA rules are:

• Starting and Returning to the same (USA) port, you must make a foreign stop
  • Starting in one (USA) port and ending in a second (USA) port, you must make a 'distant foreign stop', and Canada doesn't count as distant (neither does Mexico, Caribbean)

make sense now?

• 3 weeks later...
Moving this up in the hopes that it will offer some help and preparation for those of you sailing out of my beautiful city!

ceilidh1 - THANKS! I've gotten so much out of this thread and really appreciate it. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions. (first time cruisers)

There are 5 of us leaving Aug 6th on Millie. 1 will be in a wheelchair for the wait so we were planning on picking up a used, folding wheelchair for this (and for some excursions). If I understand the process, we drop our bags with longshoremen (step1), wait in line at security (step2), wait in line with immigration (step3) and finally, wait in line to check in on the ship (step4).

You mentioned that the wheelchair bound might have separate access at certain points. At which of the 4 steps above might this be the case? Does the entire party get to stick together or would at least 1 person get to stay with the wheelchair bound through the process?

There are 2 ships leaving on Friday the 6th of August (Millennium and Silver Shadow). Would it be better to shoot for 11:30ish or wait until 3ish?

I've been reading messages that some lines are prohibiting extension cords now. Would this just include extension cords or would it also include power strips?

Again - thanks!

Passengers in wheelchairs are whisked through from the terminal to check in - you would be allowed to have one person remain with you but not usually the entire party (it would depend on how busy it was that day). Find a representative in the terminal and request assistance - they will take you through the crew line for security, bypass the immigration line (there is an accessibe lane reserved for wheelchairs) and take you through to check in. You could just wait here for the rest of your party, or meet up onboard later.

You are able to rent wheelchairs and scooters at the terminal if that's something you are interested in. They also have wheelchairs and pushers come off the ship if you request one.

Silver Shadow is a smaller ship, so probably not too many lines to be concerned about. I would say 11-11:30 would be a good time to arrive (depending on what time your ship says boarding is - I often wonder why folks arrive at 10am when boarding doesn't begin until 11:30am - sure, you avoid lines but you sit for an hour and a half waiting to board!)

Not sure about the power cord question - maybe it's specific to certain lines? I haven't heard anything about them being prohibited, I guess that would be at the security screening point so maybe it's only at certain ports?

If I may just add to ceilidh's post, my wife is disabled and requires a wheelchair assist. If you follow her suggestions I can confirm that you will find that process goes very quickly. Last September we had another party of two travelling with us and they were permitted to come along with us in expedited process.

ceilidh1: thank you so much for your informative and useful information!

We will be embarking on the Ryndam on Sept 12, and it looks like there will be 4 ships at CP that day!!:eek:

We will be prepared for the worst, and have not yet decided whether to show up at 10am or 3pm. But, we will be staying at the Fairmont Waterfront, so that will make it easy for us to get over to CP regardless of the time. Again, thank you!

ceilidh1, thanks for the great information.

We are starting to plan for next year and will be traveling to Vancouver by train from Seattle. The plan was to go the morning of our cruise but I'm wondering if we shouldn't change our plan and come in the day before - to avoid potential delays at the station and the ship. Could be worn out by the time we board :eek:

Any thoughts?

Archived