All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

No, the loungers on the beach are for anyone, but I'm sure the cabana renters would prefer the entrance stairs to their cabanas not be blocked or overcrowded.

No, anyone can use them. They tend to be near the cabanas and there aen't many of them....at HMC, anyway.

There are numerous pictures and videos around, but basically they are blue half-domes wide enough to accomodate two beach loungers. Many reports say they tend to get pretty stuffy, so keep that in mind. If you want one, they can be rented at the rental station on the beach -- as far as I know, they cannot be reserved aboard ships of any cruise line. Cost is approximately $20.

Thank you so very much for answering my questions. I've seen lots of photos and certainly didn't want to impose on the cabana renters by using the beach loungers and hammocks by their rentals if they were reserved exclusively for them.

I'm sure we'll find a spot that's perfect for us. :)

Hi all,

Towel, sunscreen, snorkel gear, and card should be all I need? :)

Sounds like the snorkeling is not to good! Any good places at all? Should I just leave gear on the ship?

Any lockers? Do you feel comfortable leaving your stuff on beach with towel (e.g. snorkel gear)?

Hi all,

Towel, sunscreen, snorkel gear, and card should be all I need? :)

Sounds like the snorkeling is not to good! Any good places at all? Should I just leave gear on the ship?

Any lockers? Do you feel comfortable leaving your stuff on beach with towel (e.g. snorkel gear)?

Snorkel is not bad. Bring plenty of sunscreen, the sun is very intense at HMC. We've never heard of any problems leaving items on the beach, you might want to ask your neighbors to keep an eye on things while you are gone. Welcome to CC.

You might want to take a little cash for the small straw market....

When we go back in November, I am taking some ziploc or cheap containers for food, that way I can just fill them up and put them in my beach bag to go back to our cabana...it was not fun wrestling with plates in the sand

Last year when we were in HMC our cabana was a Handicap cabana little did we know. So from the main walking path there was a cement path leading down and right into our cabana I imagine for anyone in a wheelchair. Seems a few people thought this was the path to the beach so as we were in the water a few times we saw people walking right through our cabana to get to the beach. That was a little uncomfortable so we put one of the lounge chairs across the path leading into our cabana. That stopped the foot path at least for people going through our cabana but they did come right up to the lounge chair and stop trying to figure out what to do next since there were trees all around that area.

I'm sorry off hand I can't remember our cabana # but it was something like #5. Oh just remembered people also thought our shower was open to the public I had to explain to a few people it was only for us.

I have to admit we felt really special having that cabana and never regretted the cost at all, it was well worth it.

As far as helpful things to bring I brought a small compact umbrella and that really helped while waiting in line to get back on the ship. We waited till we were practically the last people on the beach and still the line was pretty long. Some of our friends left early to get in line and didn't beat us by much.

I'm sorry off hand I can't remember our cabana # but it was something like #5. Oh just remembered people also thought our shower was open to the public I had to explain to a few people it was only for us.

Taupe or as Bruce mentioned, #1 is the only cabana with a paved pathway leading directly into it.

:dbrilliant!

you might want to take a little cash for the small straw market....

When we go back in november, i am taking some ziploc or cheap containers for food, that way i can just fill them up and put them in my beach bag to go back to our cabana...it was not fun wrestling with plates in the sand

We plan to rent a little sailing boat while at HMC in mid December.

Does anyone have knowledge of how the "wind flows" about that time of year? Example: wind usually picks up in the afternoon .... or wind dies down early afternoon ... or the place is dead calm and you need oars?:D

Since we have choices about the hour or so rental, we'd like to chose a "good" time for our good time -- and in a sailboat, than means we need some breeze!

Thanks to all for the earlier feed back. I have a water proof container for cash and card :D I'm on the Carnival LIberty on 10/27. I'm planning to try and snorkel at all ports (HMC, ST Thomas, G Turk) except San Juan. HMC will be more training for my wife. At Grand Turk I want to go off beach about 1,000 feed to the wall. Has anyone done that before?

I might try a little sailing. Have you checked out prices at HMC?

Thanks to all for the earlier feed back. I have a water proof container for cash and card :D I'm on the Carnival LIberty on 10/27. I'm planning to try and snorkel at all ports (HMC, ST Thomas, G Turk) except San Juan. HMC will be more training for my wife. At Grand Turk I want to go off beach about 1,000 feed to the wall. Has anyone done that before?

I might try a little sailing. Have you checked out prices at HMC?[/q uote]

We snorkeled last year in Grand Turk at the wall. I used Blue Water divers to take us out to the wall. The snorkeling was beautiful but the wall not so much. I mean how far do you think you can see down that wall while snorkeling? It basically just got black at a certain point I think diving would be the only way to really experience THE WALL. :D

You might want to take a little cash for the small straw market....

When we go back in November, I am taking some ziploc or cheap containers for food, that way I can just fill them up and put them in my beach bag to go back to our cabana...it was not fun wrestling with plates in the sand

I really like this idea and I may not need 4 arms to do it lol

Thanks!

We plan to rent a little sailing boat while at HMC in mid December.

Does anyone have knowledge of how the "wind flows" about that time of year? Example: wind usually picks up in the afternoon .... or wind dies down early afternoon ... or the place is dead calm and you need oars?:D

Since we have choices about the hour or so rental, we'd like to chose a "good" time for our good time -- and in a sailboat, than means we need some breeze!

The times that I have been to HMC in late Nov to early Dec, the beach was very calm in the morning. Smooth tender ride in to the island. It got a little choppier/white cappy after lunch, with one visit having some pretty scary waves back to the ship (astorm was coming, but not quite there yet)!!! I hope that helps. :)

Here's a little more technical info on HMC (also called little San Salvador).

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/restaurants-and-bars/201210/beer-guide-landing?mobify=0

This the the quote from that site that will probably answer your winds question:

"Humidity is fairly high, especially in the summer months. Winds are predominantly easterly throughout the year, but with a tendency to become northeasterly from October to April and southeasterly from May to September. Wind speeds are, on average below 10 knots; in winter months, periods of a day to two of north and northeast winds of about 25 knots may occur."

Here's a little more technical info on HMC (also called little San Salvador).

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/restaurants-and-bars/201210/beer-guide-landing?mobify=0

This the the quote from that site that will probably answer your winds question:

"Humidity is fairly high, especially in the summer months. Winds are predominantly easterly throughout the year, but with a tendency to become northeasterly from October to April and southeasterly from May to September.

An easy weather comparison is similar to Florida weather.

Wow this thread is incredibly long, i skimmed it but didnt see an answer to my question. Are there sports on HMC? We did a beach day on a previous cruise and they had a volleyball set up, it was so much fun and i was just wondering if we'd have the option to do that free on this beach as well.

That's probably why it's called "All Things HMC".

True, but the first six pages or so were just going on and on about cabanas, I'm sure there's more to half moon cay than cabanas. ;)

It might be a good idea to gather the suggestions and things to do and sticky it as a guide so its easier to find information but I can understand that probably would take awhile. Anyway, my question was answered so I'm happy.