All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

I am so glad you took the time out of your very busy day to point that out.... :confused:

Little San Salvador Island, also known as Half Moon Cay, is one of about 700 islands that make up the archipelago of The Bahamas. It is located roughly halfway between Eleuthera and Cat Island. It is a private island, owned by Holland America Line, a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation & PLC, which uses it as a one-day stop (port of call) for the cruise ships it operates in the region. Prior to being owned by Holland America, Little San Salvador was the private island of Norwegian Cruise Line.

I hope you are thoroughly enlightened now that you've take time out of your busy day to read this. :p:p

Can anyone use those beach chairs (the loungers physically ON the beach) in front of the cabanas or are they all reserved for cabana renters? I also saw hammocks in the videos posted. Are those exclusively for cabana renters?

Finally, does anyone have a picture of the clamshell I've been reading about? Anyone ever use one? Should it be reserved in advance?

Thanks so much.

Edited by swimmer_steph
clarification

Can anyone use those beach chairs (the loungers physically ON the beach) in front of the cabanas or are they all reserved for cabana renters?

No, the loungers on the beach are for anyone, but I'm sure the cabana renters would prefer the entrance stairs to their cabanas not be blocked or overcrowded.

I also saw hammocks in the videos posted. Are those exclusively for cabana renters?

No, anyone can use them. They tend to be near the cabanas and there aen't many of them....at HMC, anyway.

Finally, does anyone have a picture of the clamshell I've been reading about? Anyone ever use one? Should it be reserved in advance?

There are numerous pictures and videos around, but basically they are blue half-domes wide enough to accomodate two beach loungers. Many reports say they tend to get pretty stuffy, so keep that in mind. If you want one, they can be rented at the rental station on the beach -- as far as I know, they cannot be reserved aboard ships of any cruise line. Cost is approximately $20.

Okay I am just going to admit that I'm too lazy to search over 61 pages for my answer so I will just post my question (probably again).

My mom and I will be sailing next September on the Carnival Victory and one of our stops is HMC. This will be the first time there for either of us and since there will only be us two, I'm not wanting to spend $230 for a cabana. How easy is it to get lounge chairs on the beach? Can we rent umbrellas for shade? Thanks!:D

Okay I am just going to admit that I'm too lazy to search over 61 pages for my answer so I will just post my question (probably again).

My mom and I will be sailing next September on the Carnival Victory and one of our stops is HMC. This will be the first time there for either of us and since there will only be us two, I'm not wanting to spend $230 for a cabana. How easy is it to get lounge chairs on the beach? Can we rent umbrellas for shade? Thanks!:D

There are more than enough chairs for everyone...no worries. They don't have umbrellas, but they rent clam shells if you want one. But there are a line of trees all the way up the beach which you can use for shade for free;) The part of the beach closest to the little port area will be the most crowded...gets less crowded as you move further up.:)

One of the cruises I am looking at docks at HMC at 7:30am in April. Have you docked this early there and how was the weather? I know I am excited to be booking any cruise to HMC but since I am flexible was also looking at one that docked at 9:00. For those that have been there any opnions? Thanks

Well, you don't dock there. It's a tender port. Even if you arrive at 7:30, they won't begin to tender for a while. They send crew/staff over first and food to get the buffet going, iirc.

I know I've been the first person to step out of the tender onto the island, and it was pretty early.

I've been there in mid-May, mid-December and end of October. Weather was great every time except last time at the end of October. Will be there on Halloween this year, so I'm hoping that last year was an anomoly. It poured rain all morning, but was still warm.

One of the cruises I am looking at docks at HMC at 7:30am in April. Have you docked this early there and how was the weather? I know I am excited to be booking any cruise to HMC but since I am flexible was also looking at one that docked at 9:00. For those that have been there any opnions? Thanks

The weather in April should be wonderful not to hot and the water temp should be warming! Since HMC is a tender port the first few tenders will be FULL~you will get a boarding number that morning and they will load by number~all that info will be in your Fun Times the night before. We have found it best to get up have a nice breakfast and wait a little bit to board the tender. ENJOY!!!!

There are more than enough lounge chairs available. If you're looking for shade, you are going to have to pull your chairs into the shade from the palm trees as there are no umbrellas for rent.

You will love HMC -- beautiful, soft white sand.

You are lucky that Carnival is renting the Cabanas for only $230 -- that is a bargain. HAL has upped their rental to $399.

You can also rent Clam Shells -- HAL rents them for $15 -- and that includes 2 lounge chairs.

I'm not sure yet. Were you able to reserve your # ahead of time? Are you on a Carnival cruise? I understood that you used to be able to reserve the cabana # prior to the cruise but now have to go to the shore excursion desk when you board to chose a cabana number.

I do have a question if anyone has rented a cabana. Has anyone had other cruisers be at your cabana if you left it. I was wondering about lunch but just figured we would each go separate and bring it back to the cabana. I don't want to leave my things in the cabana or cart my stuff to the place where lunch is served. Do they have trays where they serve lunch that you could actually bring 2 plates back to the cabana? Thanks for any info!

Edited by kjeanne2001
add

I'm not sure yet. Were you able to reserve your # ahead of time? Are you on a Carnival cruise? I understood that you used to be able to reserve the cabana # prior to the cruise but now have to go to the shore excursion desk when you board to chose a cabana number.

I do have a question if anyone has rented a cabana. Has anyone had other cruisers be at your cabana if you left it. I was wondering about lunch but just figured we would each go separate and bring it back to the cabana. I don't want to leave my things in the cabana or cart my stuff to the place where lunch is served. Do they have trays where they serve lunch that you could actually bring 2 plates back to the cabana? Thanks for any info!

When I was there in May we were in #11. The couple in #12 asked us to watch their cabana when they went for a massage. We did and no one tried to use it. With the higher # cabanas, there is less of a crowd. Anyway, they brought us back a bucket of beer, which was very nice of them and appreciated even though they didn't have to.

Maybe you can ask the people in the next cabana to keep an eye out for you and either watch theirs for them when they go for lunch or bring them back a few drinks to thank them.

We had 4 people so we always had people at the cabana so we didn't have an issue. Other then the water and the restroom, I refused to leave my cabana, so my husband became my Cabana boy and brought me my lunch ;)

One of the great things about getting a Cabana is that you get priority tendering, no waiting in line for a tender ticket, just go when you are ready and they will get you right on to the tender with your Cabana ticket. :D

We had #12 in May and didnt have a problem with anyone trying to use it when we werent in it...i would agree that the ones further down the beach are less likely to have this problem...

There seems to be so many questions and suggestions regarding HMC.. I figure we can centralize it like the All Things Miracle.. etc. .et al

My suggestion is RENT the CABANNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

6 through 12 are on the quieter end of the beach and centrally located to restrooms and the luncheon area.

Currently the cost is $215 for 4 people.. If you want more than 4 people do not tell the excusion desk.. No you are not stealing anything.. there were be a certain amount of drinks water and chips.. more than enough for 5 or 6.. or 7

We were having 6 at our Cabanna.. the additional cost is $45-50 pp.. The Shore Excursion person TOLD US not to add the additional people.. as it was not worth the $45-50 pp for a couple drinks and chips..

Nothing else is brought to the cabanna.. and the Luncheon area is near by and food and drink is easily picked up and brought over.. and there is always bar service!

The beach is like baby powder~!

Enjoy!!

I hear that temps for the last week in Nov are about 75* guessing the water is going to be cool ish as well (Im a floridian 75 is cool lol) is this pretty accurate ?