All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

Now, now, not so fast there, Ricochet Rabbit. If CCL began offering specific cabana rentals in advance, they might also start offering pre-sail purchases of their Bottomless Bubbles soda program like other lines (notably RCCL) do, and THEN where would we be?

Oh but they do!!! Just call Bon Voyage!! I buy them (Bottomless Bubbles that is) in advance every time we go.... :-) When we get in our cabin, there's always a piece of paper waiting for us to take it to some place (usually the coffee shop) to get our sticker.

Shawn

Edited by jsjjkelly

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't see why that would be a bad thing.

PeaceLoveCruise

I think it would be great for CCL. Noticed, you too, are a HAL cruiser. It's relaxing to board the ship and find the pink envelope in your cabin with your cabana tickets enclosed.

No need to race to the Shore Ex desk to choose your cabana.

Oh but they do!!! Just call Bon Voyage!! I buy them (Bottomless Bubbles that is) in advance every time we go.... :-) When we get in our cabin, there's always a piece of paper waiting for us to take it to some place (usually the coffee shop) to get our sticker.

Wow, that's weird. They must not want too many people to know about it, since I don't see pre-sail purchase mentioned anywhere on CCL's admittedly poor website.

RCCL allows you to prepurchase their soda package rather easily via their website, and when they print/laminate your sailing card, the free-soda symbol is automagically embossed on it and you're good to go. (They also give you the souvenir insulated travel cup as part of the package, and on my cruise the cup activated the fountain soda machine on the pool deck, which was damned handy. CCL only serves soda in cans, aboard Imagination at least.)

They must not want too many people to know about it, since I don't see pre-sail purchase mentioned anywhere on CCL's admittedly poor website.

CCL does indeed do some strange things via their web site. Especially, the cabana booking problem.

I think it would be great for CCL. Noticed, you too, are a HAL cruiser. It's relaxing to board the ship and find the pink envelope in your cabin with your cabana tickets enclosed.

No need to race to the Shore Ex desk to choose your cabana.

Yes!! Love the peace and ease of HAL!!!! :D

PeaceLoveCruise

HAL makes it so easy. Of course, we are paying a price for that privilege.

Yes, it's not cheep. You get what you pay for! I didn't make the rule, I just just try to live by it and hope I have enought at the end when I take the final ship to the sky, penthouse I hope! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm booked on Holland America Eurodam, Going to HMC, and I want to reserve a cabana, You're saying I book thru Carnival ? How do I do that? I'm so confused.. Please lead me in the right direction.. Thanks

Half Moon Cay is the private island that is leased by Holland America. Since Carnival is its parent company, it also gets to use Half Moon. If you are booked with Holland America, you will need to book the cabana through Holland America's shore excursions page. Go to Shore Excursions and look for Half Moon Cay - All of your options are listed.

Carnival will not allow scooters/wheelchairs off on the tenders (not ship lifeboats)

Although the boats seem scooter friendly since you board diretly to the upper deck by way of a flat ramp and there is plenty of room for parking scooters and wheelchairs, Carnival would not let us disembark onto them. They also have a ramp in the back to get to the lower deck and a ramp (like a ferry boat) to walk off onto the island.

Also, on the Island, the only shuttle out to the Cabana's is like an Army truck with very steep steps in the back which makes it almost impossible for anyone with disabilities to climb into the truck.

Upon returning, the line was about an hour wait in the HOT SUN and no provision was made for anyone with special needs. They could have at least have a waiting area with cover for seniors or special needs guest.

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

Carnival will not allow scooters/wheelchairs off on the tenders (not ship lifeboats)

Although the boats seem scooter friendly since you board diretly to the upper deck by way of a flat ramp and there is plenty of room for parking scooters and wheelchairs, Carnival would not let us disembark onto them. They also have a ramp in the back to get to the lower deck and a ramp (like a ferry boat) to walk off onto the island.

Also, on the Island, the only shuttle out to the Cabana's is like an Army truck with very steep steps in the back which makes it almost impossible for anyone with disabilities to climb into the truck.

Upon returning, the line was about an hour wait in the HOT SUN and no provision was made for anyone with special needs. They could have at least have a waiting area with cover for seniors or special needs guest.

I wonder why this happened to you. There must have been safety issues somehow. Otherwise, wouldn't that be considered discrimination?

I was told on a previous cruise it is because the gangway between the ship and the tender is unsteady. I know you have to be very careful getting off and on because of the up and down movement. I saw a tent with a water station and chairs on the left getting off the tender in HMC, I am not sure what it was being used for but they should not have had a problem with you using it.

I wonder why this happened to you. There must have been safety issues somehow. Otherwise, wouldn't that be considered discrimination?

I have seen HAL make sand wheelchairs available once on the island. I'm sure contacting the proper people could make arrangements for you to get on and off the tender.

OK - is it necesssary to rent a cabana to enjoy the island? All the info has been talking about cabanas. Is there anything else to do?

No, it is not necessary to rent a cabana. Check out the shore excursions available. I just like to walk the beach.

OK - is it necesssary to rent a cabana to enjoy the island? All the info has been talking about cabanas. Is there anything else to do?

The beach is gorgeous! They have plenty of loungers on the beach (free). Closest to the tender area is the most crowded, and that's where they have the kids' water play area. Further up the beach it's more quiet. There are a couple of bars. They provide a BBQ lunch from 11:30 - 2 in an area behind the beach. As was also mentioned, if you want to book an activity, look at the Shore Excursions on the cruiseline's website. There are no independent excursions here as it is a private island.

No, it is not necessary to rent a cabana. Check out the shore excursions available. I just like to walk the beach.

There are plenty of lounge chairs available to enjoy the beach. If you prefer shade, there are also plenty of shade trees to relax under.

Hi,Is there a platform or something to get on the horses for the horseback riding excursion? Thanks in advance,Brian

I don't remember, but I think there was. I've done it 4 times at GT but only once at HMC.

Yes, of course, there must be, because they remove the saddles after the trail ride portion and put on just the bareback pad. There are no stirrups so no way to hoist oneself onto the horse.

Somewhere on this board are my comments comparing the excursion at HMC to the one in Grand Turk. I prefer GT just because there's more to see, and the bus ride up to the tip of the island is an island tour in it's own right.

It's still good, though!