All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

Because it is a very sandy bottom area, there aren't a lot of fish that I have ever seen, but there are a few. I have seen some poeple post that they've seen good fish while snorkeling there, but I don't think they could have been in the main beach area. It won't be ANYTHING like Roatan, trust me!;)

Thanks so much Irishlinny-I know...nothing can compare to Roatan :) We have done some fabulous snorkeling right off shore each time we visit. So beautiful! Then when you try to snorkel somewhere else, you automatically compare it to Roatan... thanks for your help. Just wondering if we walked down to the end of HMC and swam out a little if it would be a little rocky or some reefs to attract some fish...???

Thanks so much Irishlinny-I know...nothing can compare to Roatan :) We have done some fabulous snorkeling right off shore each time we visit. So beautiful! Then when you try to snorkel somewhere else, you automatically compare it to Roatan... thanks for your help. Just wondering if we walked down to the end of HMC and swam out a little if it would be a little rocky or some reefs to attract some fish...???

I think you'll find HMC snorkeling to be better than Roatan. DH has walked to the far end of the beach and found it be somewhat clearer.

I think you'll find HMC snorkeling to be better than Roatan. DH has walked to the far end of the beach and found it be somewhat clearer.

I think if you went all the way down there you might be ok...I've never been down that far. But I can almost guarantee that you won't see the variety that you do in Roatan.;) The water is very clear on HMC because there aren't a lot of waves generally. But there also aren't all the coral formations to support the large populations of fish Roatan has.

We want to know if we should bring our own snorkeling gear? We like to swim out from the beach and snorkel if it is worth it....we have been spoiled by Roatan :) love the snorkeling from the beach..best ever!

Yes, bring your own if you can. You'll save the expense of renting stuff at HMC and your equipment is likely to be better than the rental gear.

As others have mentioned, the snorkeling is likely to be disappointing out from the beach, but people have reported here on CC that you should see more fish at the far end and also along the jetty.

If you go to the Excursion page on your Carnival.com, manage my cruise, you should see the cabana's listed and if they are sold out, it will say so right there. If there are any available and you really want one. I would book it (you need to pay when you book it). Depending on the sailing, they can sell out quick.

Also, if you later change your mind, you can always cancel the excursion for a refund up to the cruise line's deadline. (For Carnival, it's 24 hours before.)

I think if you went all the way down there you might be ok...I've never been down that far. But I can almost guarantee that you won't see the variety that you do in Roatan.;) The water is very clear on HMC because there aren't a lot of waves generally. But there also aren't all the coral formations to support the large populations of fish Roatan has.

Thanks so much for your help! We will try walking all the way down the beach and see what t looks like! Very excited to be going to HMC-looks beautiful! Thank you for your help.

Thanks so much for your help! We will try walking all the way down the beach and see what t looks like! Very excited to be going to HMC-looks beautiful! Thank you for your help.

Always happy to help if I can! Hope you love HMC as much as we do. We love snorkeling, but HMC's beach is so beautiful (once you get past the crowds) that we are happy just to have a nice beach day. I was thinking about it after, and you may want to ask about snorkeling when you get to the island. When we were taking the truck back to the tender area, I saw a few places on the other side of the island that I never knew were there (one appeared to be for water sports). Not sure if any of them are swimming areas, but if they are, they might be better for snorkeling since they're not in the sandy beach area.

Have a great time!:)

• 2 weeks later...
I looked on the excursions and only see the cabanas for rent on HMC. Do I have to wait until I get on board or even on HMC to get these items?

I believe CCL allows them only to reserved at the Shore Ex desk or on HMC. Do it onboard, as they do go quickly.

You have to book cabana's now or they will be gone quick. Book through carnival page then when you get on board go straight to guest services to pick which cabana you want.

The OP is interested in clamshells, they were rot available online.

I was advised to tell CCL we have 4 ppl (we have 8) in our cabana so that we don't get charged extra but I forgot about the early tender. So only 4 of us will get off early? The other 4 will have to wait in a different line?

I was advised to tell CCL we have 4 ppl (we have 8) in our cabana so that we don't get charged extra but I forgot about the early tender. So only 4 of us will get off early? The other 4 will have to wait in a different line?

If they are using tickets.

On the last several cruises, they didn't even use tickets now that they have had the large land based tenders in the last several years. Plenty of room for everyone.

Cruising in oct, it looks like there is a water park. Does anyone know if this is included and is there a height requirement?

Waterpark would be news to me. There is a small lagoon, that rents water toys.

There's plenty of water at the beach.

Cruising in oct, it looks like there is a water park. Does anyone know if this is included and is there a height requirement?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The water park is more of a playground with sprinkles, not like Wet and Wild.

http://www.7blueseas.com/cruiselines/hollandamerica/veendam/images/im_veendam_603.jpg

Edited by purplekisses

Has anyone been to Half Moon Cay that can confirm or deny if the following activities are available and the cost? Banana Boat ride and Sea Doos/Jet Skis?

Banana boats are available. No jet skis, however. I can't quote price, but I am sure someone will be able to.

Thank you everyone! I don't see a jet ski version on their site for the Liberty with a sail date of Aug. 31. Maybe it's not always offered?

HAL has never offered this. The excursions are the same, only the prices differ.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish they offered HMC instead of Nassau on some of the 7-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries. I'd love to do HMC/St. Thomas/St. Maarten.

I wonder why they don't; wouldn't they save in port chargesin Nassau since Carnival Corp (HAL) owns HMC/

I get that the vendors in Nassau would be big time losers.

I wonder why they don't; wouldn't they save in port chargesin Nassau since Carnival Corp (HAL) owns HMC/

Any number of reasons. The Bahamian government have restrictions on cruise ships or a certain number of ships are allowed at HMC at any given time.

I agree, Nassau is a dump in our book. One stop was enough. Port charges, I'm sure are paid at either stop. Just because they own doesn't mean they can stop there without feeding the government. Remember, you are paying a port tax.

Edited by Typhoon1