All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

What is there to do? I mean other then excursions. My son has only to the beach once, so we know he will just want to play in the sand. We are doing this cruise on a major budget and will prolly not be doing any shore excursions. So once we get tendered over...do they have umbrellas to rent or chairs? I can just sit on a towel and we plan on going over later and be back to the ship in time for lunch. So for about 3 hours we can't afford the cabana. Are there any small shops to browse in or anything like that? I'm going to go find the first post of 2013 and work forward from there...but since that's a year worth of posts I thought I would also just ask. Thanks!!

What is there to do? I mean other then excursions. My son has only to the beach once, so we know he will just want to play in the sand. We are doing this cruise on a major budget and will prolly not be doing any shore excursions. So once we get tendered over...do they have umbrellas to rent or chairs? I can just sit on a towel and we plan on going over later and be back to the ship in time for lunch. So for about 3 hours we can't afford the cabana. Are there any small shops to browse in or anything like that? I'm going to go find the first post of 2013 and work forward from there...but since that's a year worth of posts I thought I would also just ask. Thanks!!

You don't have to spend a thing on the island. The island is an extension of the ship, alot of the excursions and staff on the island are also the employees on the ship.

You don't even have to go back to the ship, Carnival prepares and serves a BBQ - it doesn't cost extra. There are chairs - no cost. The have, what are called, clam shells - those are $20.00 - I think; and they provide some shade. If you have the room, just bring a small beach umbrella. There is some shade on the beach, it is an open beach, so the shade in back by the cabanas, but you can drag a chair back there and have shade.

The beach and water are beautiful. Your son will love it. There is also a play area, slides, etc on the beach. There is a slight current (very slight), no waves, no undertow. I always bring my own floaties - the $1 store, blow up rings. You can also rent snorkeling gear, floaties and paddle boats. A cabana is great, but the beach/island can be enjoyed - very much so with little to no money. The first time I went, I split the cost of the clam shell with a friend (girl's cruise for me) and I spent a total of $10.00 for the whole day on the island. I had a great time. My trip, Christmas cruise, with my family (husband and teenage daughter), we had a cabana - still wonderful. If your son is younger and you want to be close to him all the time, a cabana wouldn't make sense for you anyways.

There are a few shops, not like other ports - no bargaining, pretty much overpriced and run by Carnival.

Linda

Thank you Linda!!All of this is very helpful. Do you know if they have pails on the beach for all to use? I would hate to have to bring one with us. Then again...I can just get plastic cups someplace if he wants to make a castle I guess. DS is 9, and it has been 3 yrs from his first beach experience so he keeps asking me about "playing in the sand".

Does anyone have a pic of what the "clam shell" looks like? I am assuming it is something to reserve at the excursion desk...but since we are not going to get FTTF I doubt we will have a chance to rent one...but I can ask.

Thank you once again for all the info!!

Thank you Linda!!All of this is very helpful. Do you know if they have pails on the beach for all to use? I would hate to have to bring one with us. Then again...I can just get plastic cups someplace if he wants to make a castle I guess. DS is 9, and it has been 3 yrs from his first beach experience so he keeps asking me about "playing in the sand".

Does anyone have a pic of what the "clam shell" looks like? I am assuming it is something to reserve at the excursion desk...but since we are not going to get FTTF I doubt we will have a chance to rent one...but I can ask.

Thank you once again for all the info!!

There are plenty of clam shells to rent. You rent them once on the beach, there are a couple of rental places on the beach. You use your sail and sign card, only need cash for the limited shops. All drinks, rentals, everything else is your sail and sign card - just like on the ship.

I am no good with pictures and don't know how to post. There is probably a picture of one on this thread or do a search of "clamshells half moon cay". They are blue, hold two chairs and are kind of like a small 1/2 tent. Make sure you have the back up a few inches (it will still shade you) for air circulation; that I did not do and it gets stuffy.

I don't think they provide pails and sand items; you may be able to rent or buy them on the island. If you have time, it would cost a whole lot less, to buy some at the local CVS or Walgreens before you board the ship.

Linda

Hi, I will be sailing on the Pride in May. I have already purchased a cabana rental. My question is will that include priority tendering when we arrive in HMC? Or should I purchase FTTF?

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Forums mobile app

Hi, I will be sailing on the Pride in May. I have already purchased a cabana rental. My question is will that include priority tendering when we arrive in HMC? Or should I purchase FTTF?

If the priority tendering is the only reason why you're considering FttF, then yes, you can skip it; your cabana rental will get you first- or second-tender boarding. Be sure to check with the Shore Ex people on the proper procedure for it, since it seems to vary between ships.

There are other benefits to FttF, however, and if you value any of those perks (priority boarding, priority luggage delivery, priority disembark, VIP line at Guest Services), it could well be worth $50 per cabin (not per-person).

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Forums mobile app

Yes, the cabana rental gets you priority boarding on the island.

We just sailed the Victory in December with FTTF. I didn't think it was worth it. We got to the port at 10:00, so would have been #1 boarding anyways. It did help, 1 time, to skip the line at guest services, but just use the TV or kiosk if you can. Other than that, there were no advantages.

Linda

Hi all! Does anyone know if you can rent just fins and vest for snorkeling on Half Moon Cay? We will be taking our own masks and snorkels.

Thanks in advance!

You can rent just about anything water related at any one of the three Water Sports Huts located along the beach.

Edited by Typhoon1

Read mention somewhere on these boards about jet skis on HMC but don't see anything on carnivals excursion list. Do you arrange this on the island?

Check at the Shore Ex desk onboard. They will be able to provide info for water sports.

Read mention somewhere on these boards about jet skis on HMC but don't see anything on carnivals excursion list. Do you arrange this on the island?

I don't think that jet ski's were ever rented out individually at HMC. They had a jet ski excursion called the Aquatrax Adventure, but on my last two HMC visits, and the one coming up for me in less than two weeks, that excursion was not offered. They also don't offer the Parasailing one any more.

My fiance and I are getting married in half moon cay. We have a group of 30 and reallllly want to rent the private oasis. The cruise line told us no way we can have more than 24 people but I'm wondering if we can book it and just allow 24 people at a time on the oasis and others will just have to wait their turn. We do have a few older people going that might only hang out on the island for a little while anyway and we also have 3 kids that I don't know if they'll count against our 24. I'm also thinking if I slip the workers there a couple hundred bucks they'll look the other way. Can anyone that's rented the oasis give me their thoughts on this? If we can't work it out with the oasis we're thinking about the beach villa but that only comes with snacks and no alcohol and we'd have to rent 2 of them.

My fiance and I are getting married in half moon cay. We have a group of 30 and reallllly want to rent the private oasis. The cruise line told us no way we can have more than 24 people but I'm wondering if we can book it and just allow 24 people at a time on the oasis and others will just have to wait their turn. We do have a few older people going that might only hang out on the island for a little while anyway and we also have 3 kids that I don't know if they'll count against our 24. I'm also thinking if I slip the workers there a couple hundred bucks they'll look the other way. Can anyone that's rented the oasis give me their thoughts on this? If we can't work it out with the oasis we're thinking about the beach villa but that only comes with snacks and no alcohol and we'd have to rent 2 of them.

The private Oasis and Villa A might be a better idea.

It sounds like you definitely will have need of the Private Oasis, so go ahead and book the excursion now. After all, there is only one of them and once it's gone, it's gone. If you decide you don't need it after all, you can always cancel the booking and get the money put back on your card with no penalty.

BUT, it sounds like the cost is something you're budgeting for (paying the additional fees for parties of more than 12) and it would be perfect for your needs (alcohol included, etc.). There's nothing else like it at HMC.

Although I really appreciate your responses neither really answers my questions. What I'm looking for is someone that's rented the oasis that can offer their opinion on 2 questions. 1. If we have more than 24 people will the workers at the oasis even notice? Do we get wrist bands? 2. If they would notice do you think they'd look the other way with the promise of a good tip or are they monitored so that they wouldn't be able to do that. Again, thanks for any responses.

I have not heard of anybody trying to get 20 in the Oasis, not to mention 30. So I think you will find no one has experience in this area.

Physically, getting 24 in will be very crowded.

Tipping employees to break rules puts the employee in a very bad spot. I wouldn't do it.

Although I really appreciate your responses neither really answers my questions. What I'm looking for is someone that's rented the oasis that can offer their opinion on 2 questions. 1. If we have more than 24 people will the workers at the oasis even notice? Do we get wrist bands? 2. If they would notice do you think they'd look the other way with the promise of a good tip or are they monitored so that they wouldn't be able to do that. Again, thanks for any responses.

Some of the employee are Bahamian natives. They value their jobs, I think the green idea would not work.

Cruiserbruce, Carnival advertises you can book up to 24 people in the Oasis. I'm assuming you've rented it and feel it's too small for that large a crowd? If that's the case I'll probably look at other options.

Typhoon1, in your first post you mentioned renting the Oasis and villa A. I assume that they are somewhat near each other and the villa could be used for the overflow of our additional guests over the 24?

If I decide against the Oasis it looks like maybe the villas might be an alternative. Those are advertised for up to 18 people each so for 30 people I could rent 2 of them hopefully next to each other. I'd really be missing the food, alcohol, ipod hook up and service but accommodating my large group while not putting the employees at risk is more important. Can anyone that has experience with the villas comment on this idea? Any suggestions on providing food and drinks for my group (other than the snacks and soft drinks provided) or is sending them to the food hut the only option?

Thanks again for the advise.

Cruiserbruce, Carnival advertises you can book up to 24 people in the Oasis. I'm assuming you've rented it and feel it's too small for that large a crowd? If that's the case I'll probably look at other options.

Typhoon1, in your first post you mentioned renting the Oasis and villa A. I assume that they are somewhat near each other and the villa could be used for the overflow of our additional guests over the 24?

If I decide against the Oasis it looks like maybe the villas might be an alternative. Those are advertised for up to 18 people each so for 30 people I could rent 2 of them hopefully next to each other. I'd really be missing the food, alcohol, ipod hook up and service but accommodating my large group while not putting the employees at risk is more important. Can anyone that has experience with the villas comment on this idea? Any suggestions on providing food and drinks for my group (other than the snacks and soft drinks provided) or is sending them to the food hut the only option?

Thanks again for the advise.

The Oasis and Villas are no where near each other, so that idea probably wouldn't work for you. Renting two Villas could work, though keep in mind that Villas A,B, & C are together, but Villas D & E are further down beach and are not together. There will be plenty of waiters on the beach to take drink orders, but as far as lunch goes, you'll have to hoof it to the BBQ, which is fairly close nearby.

Ok so sounds like my best bet would be to rent villas a & b or b & c if I can get them. Would you agree?

Yep. Sounds like your gang is going to have a blast!! Here's a pic of Villas A,B, & C.

A532.JPG

Edited by Jamman54