"Dress" shorts in dining room?

ellbelle

Would it be appropriate to wear these new shorts in the dining room for dinner? These are the kind that are knee length that would be worn with a dress top and dress shoes.

My daughter has a pair of these that she would like to bring with us tomorrow, but if these would fall in to the "no shorts in the dining room for dinner" category, we will come up with a "Plan B".

Thanks for your help.

Cheryl

Would it be appropriate to wear these new shorts in the dining room for dinner? These are the kind that are knee length that would be worn with a dress top and dress shoes.

My daughter has a pair of these that she would like to bring with us tomorrow, but if these would fall in to the "no shorts in the dining room for dinner" category, we will come up with a "Plan B".

Thanks for your help.

Cheryl

If sounds like you are talking about "bermuda" shorts. If yes, no they are not appropriate for dinner in the dining room. Enjoy your cruise!

If the shorts are "dressy" made of really nice material, not like khaki.

With a nice top and sandal, it would be totally acceptable for your "daughter".

I have seen men wearing Bermuda shorts and tropical shirts in the dining room, why not dressy shorts for young ladies...;)

I even saw jeans last yr on my CB cruise. :eek:

If the shorts are "dressy" made of really nice material, not like khaki.

With a nice top and sandal, it would be totally acceptable for your "daughter".

I have seen men wearing Bermuda shorts and tropical shirts in the dining room, why not dressy shorts for young ladies...;)

I even saw jeans last yr on my CB cruise. :eek:

I guess we did not consider the age of the daughter. I just assumed she was an adult. Dressy shorts on young children would probably be ok. Has your DD turned six yet?

She is 13. We always dress to the recommended dress code, it's just that these type of shorts are different than the shorts you would wear during the day. After the 20 kids that are swimming over here today :eek: (why do I do this?) go home, I am going to run over to Target for the "Plan B". I would be really embarassed if we were upon by the MD and fellow passengers.

Thanks for your replies

Cheryl

If one thing is clear from all the threads re the dress code, it is that enforcement is not consistent. Some maitre d's seem to let anyone in, others are fairly rigid. I have seen adults turned away in shorts, but I have never seen a 13 yr old try this. I guess the answer depends on how willing you are to risk being turned away. The printed info does say, no shorts for dinner in the DR.

Seriously - She's fine! It's time to relax - not run to Target.... WE SAIL TOMORROW! Yay!

Seriousy, it will depend on the mood of the Maitre'd. Officially,shorts are not allowed in the dining rooms for dinner. This rule is not always enforced. Your daughtter may very well be permitted into the dining room with shorts. Howver, you and she need to be aware that she may be denied access some evening.

Thanks for your help.

Cheryl

Women and young ladies can easily get away with this look. Men don't know what we wear, even MD's. This will be fine for smart casual evenings. These shorts are nearly as long as capris which will get you in also. The key word here is "dress".

Dee

I think, if you are referring to those dressy shorts that look like a skirt (skort?:D), then she will be fine. That said, if you are going to stress about it, you can probably get a cute skirt for $15 at Target, and you won't have to be worried. Have a great trip.

I never join these discussions about dress code - and I'm not the sort that really pushes the limits, but A. She's 13, B. Dressy short these days are considered appropriate business attire (since you mentioned they are knee length) these days. DO NOT stress about this - I am certain, she won't be questioned!

Thanks for your help.

Cheryl

Yes from what I noticed, kids and ladies get away with a lot more. I saw this lady with her 'assets' (I would estimate 5K) just about on the table on formal night.

I guess there is no place in the dress code to say the top has to fit:eek:

Seriousy, it will depend on the mood of the Maitre'd. Officially,shorts are not allowed in the dining rooms for dinner. This rule is not always enforced. Your daughtter may very well be permitted into the dining room with shorts. Howver, you and she need to be aware that she may be denied access some evening.
I agree with Paul.

the top has to fit:eek:

Yes from what I noticed, kids and ladies get away with a lot more. I saw this lady with her 'assets' (I would estimate 5K) just about on the table on formal nighilemy sister t.

I guess there is no place in the dress code to say

You, KJ are so funny....I did go to Kohl's while my sister friend were watching the teens in the pool. Me thinks my daughter has a new boyfriend?? What's with that?

I did buy "capri" pants. I had her try them on, and I do not have to take them back....Thanks goodness....once she is back from yet another party..we on on VACATION!!!!

Happy Sailing (especially to my husband who really needs it!)

Cheryl

I guess we did not consider the age of the daughter. I just assumed she was an adult. Dressy shorts on young children would probably be ok. Has your DD turned six yet?

Last summer my 11 year old son wore white linen shorts to the dining room with a collared shirt and boat shoes, he was asked to change into pants! This was on the CB...

I never join these discussions about dress code - and I'm not the sort that really pushes the limits, but A. She's 13, B. Dressy short these days are considered appropriate business attire (since you mentioned they are knee length) these days. DO NOT stress about this - I am certain, she won't be questioned!

What?? Certainly not at my place of employment! Can't think of any friends whose employers would allow that either!

To the OP: I suppose she might "get away" with it, but to me, no shorts means no shorts.

the top has to fit:eek:
Yes from what I noticed, kids and ladies get away with a lot more. I saw this lady with her 'assets' (I would estimate 5K) just about on the table on formal nighilemy sister t.

I guess there is no place in the dress code to say

You, KJ are so funny....I did go to Kohl's while my sister friend were watching the teens in the pool. Me thinks my daughter has a new boyfriend?? What's with that?

I did buy "capri" pants. I had her try them on, and I do not have to take them back....Thanks goodness....once she is back from yet another party..we on on VACATION!!!!

Happy Sailing (especially to my husband who really needs it!)

Cheryl

Have a great cruise. Last February I got so scared reading these dress code thread I almost canceled my cruise.

If some of the post on this board were in anyway reflected on the ship, I WOULD never sail Princess again.

We are booked for August 8th for Alaska. Yes, it was a good deal but also a overall great vacation experience.

Also, I took DD to see the Jonas Brothers. When they got out on stage she got so excited started to cry. They grow up fast:D

About the 'assets', I was the one who stopped and stared. DH kept telling it's was rude to look.

I explained to him the 'assets' were not fitting in but however they looked up to code.:D

Happy Cruising

He told us that they are not allowed to enforce or question passengers...and that the matre'd has the option but sledom enforces it. Seems it depends on the rest of the clientele. If the preponderous of passengers are lax in this area, then it is generally tolerated. If the preponderous of passengers abide and complain about it, the matre 'd is more likely to enforce it.

Personally I find it no different than being on shore, if I see someone who is dressed "weird or inappropriately, I simply choose to look the other way.

Business attire varies by business...and shorts would never be acceptable in some businesses. This distinction needs better definition by the cruise lines

I usually find that if you feel the need to ask if it is appropriate, then it probably is not. And those people who ask, already have their minds made up as to which answers will be acceptable to them.

What anyone else will wear will never detract fom my cruising experience.

Archived