Refund from Princess for Natural History Tour

Pearl64

We are taking a northbound cruise on the Sapphire Princess at the end of August. Following the cruise we will continue with Princess for the land portion for four days.

We have decided against taking Princess's Natural History Tour. Our next dilema is does Princess give any sort of refund and how does one go about getting it? If we can get a refund, we will probably try to get tickets for the Shuttle buses. Otherwise we may just take the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We are in Denali for an afternoon, a whole day, and then a morning before departing for Anchorage.

Another question which concerns the Sapphire. We have a BD balcony on the Baja. At the time of booking we were asked if we would consider an upgrade. We said yes. Now I have read on CC that the Dolphin deck is out because the balcony is not covered. If we would be so lucky to get an upgrade, what would be acceptable? We don't want noise issues that some have reported. This is only our second cruise so are not totally familiar with Princess or the ship.

Thanks.

We just got back from a cruisetour with Princess and actually enjoyed the Natural History Tour in the afternoon the day we arrived in Denali. We were lucky and saw a moose and a 3 grizzly bears (a mom and two almost grown cubs) but we also enjoyed listening to the history. We booked the earliest time for the green bus the next day and saw more grizzly bears, a wolf, a fox, eagles, caribou and moose with a calf. The green bus was well worth the cost and it is cheaper than the Tundra wilderness tour. We had an excellent bus driver and he gave us an excellent tour.;)

There have not been reports of Princess refunding the NHT like they have in the past. Reports have been the ability of upgrading to the TWT for $60pp.

The above took a SHUTTLE bus to??? Eielson is my min. distance in. But without your own transporatation, you need to be aware of the Princess Lodge shuttle schedule, so verify this. Shuttle buses need to be booked in advance.

With your timeframe- it's a shame Princess books these Natural History tours. It's all about distance into the park, in my opinion. :) There is plenty you can see and do in your time. http://www.nps.gov/dena

We booked our Princess cruisetour (tour vb4) about two months ago for a cruise date of 7/2/09. As others have suggested on cc I cancelled my NHT with Princess and booked the Denali shuttle tour to the Eielson center. I cancelled the NHT on 5/4 and received a credit card credit on 5/6 for $160.20 ($80.10 per person). I had to go through my travel agent since this is how I had originally booked the Princess cruisetour.

We booked our Princess cruisetour (tour vb4) about two months ago for a cruise date of 7/2/09. As others have suggested on cc I cancelled my NHT with Princess and booked the Denali shuttle tour to the Eielson center. I cancelled the NHT on 5/4 and received a credit card credit on 5/6 for $160.20 ($80.10 per person). I had to go through my travel agent since this is how I had originally booked the Princess cruisetour.

You got one heck of a deal, and a Princess mistake, since the NHT is only about $62pp.

For clairfication, it is not a "tour" to Eielson.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Wishful thinking would get us into Denali before our scheduled 3 pm arrival. I doubt we could get the natural History tour at that hour. My travel agent said there would be no refunds. I guess it all comes down to about how much more money we want to spend--another $60 for TWT or the shuttle. Since we are on our own transportation we want to make the most of our choices. We are concerned about our lack of back country knowledge and the wildlife so possibly the TWT would be the best. No matter what we decide I am sure it will be a great time even in the worst of weather. I have checked the nps website which only makes my decision more difficult since I have difficulty making decisions. Perhaps my better half will help me out here.

Thanks again everyone.

Since we are on our own transportation we want to make the most of our choices. We are concerned about our lack of back country knowledge and the wildlife so possibly the TWT would be the best.QUOTE]

Not sure what this is in reference to. BUT the buses travel the same road, the Park Road in Denali Park. The differences is distance, and narration with the tour buses. That's it. They all stop for wildlife.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this thread.

I am taking an Alaskan Cruisetour with Princess on 9/7. We're doing Land tour first and then cruise. I have one night in Denali and noticed in the morning we have a Natural History Tour booked. I've read a lot about how the natural history tour is a waste of time. I see people mentioning a tundra tour and also green busses.

After my natural history tour, I leave for Mt. McKinley lodge at about 5. If I cancel and book something else, will I have time to make it back to the lodge. Also, how easy is it to cancel? I booked through CruCon. Does that mean I go through them to cancel? If I upgrade to the Tundra tour or something else, do I do this through princess or through someone else?

I've read a lot about how the natural history tour is a waste of time. I see people mentioning a tundra tour and also green busses.

:)

Well, in all honesty, it is really only one person who keeps repeating that the Natural History Tour is a waste of time, and she is careful to mark that as her opinion.

Thousands of people have taken this tour. Apparently they are satisfied or Princess would not keep offering it. The TWT is a lot longer and some cruisetours may simply not have time for it.

It is really not worth obsessing about details like this. The cruisetours are hugely popular and very thoroughly planned. Trying to make major changes in them, based on the opinions of a few people, is really not worth it, IMHO. I strongly suggest you go with what is scheduled.

The same thing applies to cabin choices. I don't quite understand what a few people find wrong with the Dolphin deck cabins. If they were really that undesirable, it would be reflected in the prices, which are almost entirely based on desirabilty of cabins. Balcony covered, balcony uncovered, tomato, tomahtoe ... again, don't obsess about details because a few people on this board have opinions. Being on the balcony of a wonderful ship is what it is about!

Have a GREAT cruise!

I agree with the PP to a point.

Princess includes the NHT with some cruisetours but include the TWT with other cruistours. Time constraints with some cruisetours preclude the TWT. I suspect some cruisetours include the less expensive NHT so the tour can be priced lower.

The consensus, not just one poster, seems to be going further into the park dramatically improves your chances of seeing animals. Many people see animals in their local zoo. They might be happy seeing Denali via the NHT and using the time saved for other activities.

I'm not sure I agree with the (few) posters who have issues with the TWT. As you say thousands of people take the tour and are happy. You're guaranteed commentary and have video screens available if you're having trouble seeing. Concerts and stadiums have video screens to enhance our enjoyment.

We were on a Princess cruisetour at the end of May, beginning of June. Because of all the negative comments about the NHT, I did switch the tour to the TWT and luckily managed to get the first bus out in the morning at 5:30am as we had to catch the train at 3:30pm. Princess did refund the NHT, fortunately. We saw a couple of moose, 3 grizzlies, untold numbers of snowshoe hares, ptarmigan, caribou, you name it. Interesting enough, with the exception of the grizzlies who were so far away as to make trying to get a photo impossible even with a goodtelephoto lens, most of the animals were within the early part of the park boundary and would have been seen on the NHT. Maybe that was just a lucky day. BUT...the view of Mt. McKinley from the TWT was stupendous and certainly could not have been replicated on the NHT. So I guess it all depends on what you want to see. In any event, Denali is a one of a kind park.

Sorry, but since neither of the above two posters have any experience with Denali Park, your "Princess offers this" so it must be worthwhile is completely wrong. The "plenty of people" you are referring to don't know any better, sorry that's the way it is. WHEN both of you get into the park- then I would say, you can comment on the differnce of these touring options. It isn't just me who posts this, this is a consistant comment over and over from people who have been there, and wanted, with touring of Denali Park, what it is known for- scenery and wildlife. There certainly are well informed people who choose not to go into the park, but there are far more, who have no idea what they have purchased and what they are missing.

I do have an issue with the NHT, it's a lacking tour- again, if you have the "brochure" ideas of wildlife and scenery- it isn't it and not even close. This section of the Park Road, is so so at best, usually few if any wildlife sightings, and something I drive every trip, multiple times with extended pull offs, with my spare time. Biggest kick is the Park Service offers this exact same transit for FREE, and has the bonus of ranger activites available which are extremely worthwhile at Savage River, again, free.

So, you are certainly entitled to your opinions as am I, but I have the extensive experience here and able to give the details, that can be very beneficial to the uninformed cruisetour traveler. It is NOT apparent and frankly, very vague in cruisetour descriptions. It's all about informed choices, which overall, Princess, and other cruisetours falls very short on, re Denali Park.

I am taking an Alaskan Cruisetour with Princess on 9/7. We're doing Land tour first and then cruise. I have one night in Denali and noticed in the morning we have a Natural History Tour booked. I've read a lot about how the natural history tour is a waste of time. I see people mentioning a tundra tour and also green busses.

After my natural history tour, I leave for Mt. McKinley lodge at about 5. If I cancel and book something else, will I have time to make it back to the lodge. Also, how easy is it to cancel? I booked through CruCon. Does that mean I go through them to cancel? If I upgrade to the Tundra tour or something else, do I do this through princess or through someone else?

Yes, you need to go through your booking agent, your 5pm departure time is doable with a TWT upgrade. You are going at a spectacular time getting into Denali Park the fall colors are breathtaking. :)

I appears to me through your posts, that you are extremely knowlegable about Denali. I can appreciate that, AND I am suspect to believe that your name indicates that you know the ways around the park without spending huge amounts of money....therefore I am posing this...could you possibly help me in planning a day in Denali. We have from approximately 10a.m.-4 p.m. open prior to going white water rafting.

Our interest lies in hiking.

If you don't mind telling me the best route as far as transportation et. al

Thank you in advance for your asistance

I appears to me through your posts, that you are extremely knowlegable about Denali. I can appreciate that, AND I am suspect to believe that your name indicates that you know the ways around the park without spending huge amounts of money....therefore I am posing this...could you possibly help me in planning a day in Denali. We have from approximately 10a.m.-4 p.m. open prior to going white water rafting.

Our interest lies in hiking.

If you don't mind telling me the best route as far as transportation et. al

Thank you in advance for your asistance

There is plenty to do in this timeframe. For hiking http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/day-hiking.htm

You may want to consider the Savage River shuttle bus, and hiking there.

If you don't have your own transportation, your lodging has some sort of shuttle available to the visitor center and Access Center- 2 different places. Decide what you wish to do in advance, so to make the best use of time.

There also is a dog sled demo at 10 am which is interesting- if you have any interest? :)

Thanks so very much for your help! We do not have our own transportation, we will be staying at the Princess Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights and the McKinley lodge for one night. I am very sorry that I did not include this info in my previous post....

I would appreciate any assistance as far as how to utilize these shuttles etc..

Thanks so very much for your help! We do not have our own transportation, we will be staying at the Princess Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights and the McKinley lodge for one night. I am very sorry that I did not include this info in my previous post....

I would appreciate any assistance as far as how to utilize these shuttles etc..

As I mentioned, the Denali Princess lodge runs shuttles to the visitor center and access center. Verify their schedules when you get there. The walk is less than 2 miles, if you also want to consider that??

shuttles...sorry

You can check on pricing for shuttles and the Tundra Wilderness Tour here...

http://www.reservedenali.com/

I will add my opinion of the NHT. My wife and I opted for the TWT whereas the rest of our group of 10 took the NHT.

They were very unhappy with it. Didn't go much of anywhere and the guide was less than informative.

Then we compared notes with them as to what they saw/did on the NHT and what we saw/did on the TWT. Then they weren't unhappy, they were pissed!

Hence we concluded that others were correct. The NHT is way less than stellar.

If you really want to get the feel and flavor of Denali (and it is awesome), take the TWT or the shuttle.

thanks so very much! What are the price of the shuules if I may ask?

The shuttles to the visitors center, access center, Savage River, and to the sled dog demo are free. The shuttles that go out to the park vary in price depending on the distance. You can get those prices and the tour prices at http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-fees.htm.

We are doing a cruisetour next May on the Diamond Princess and the NHT was included in our 2 night stay at the Denali Lodge. Based on comments on CC about the NHT, I called Princess about cancelling the NHT and was told that either the TA or I could cancel the NHT and we wouldn't have to book the TWT in its place. Our TA called Princess and had no problem cancelling the NHT ($80.10 was deducted from price of cruisetour). I plan to book the TWT directly with the NPS.

I plan to book the TWT directly with the NPS.

With 2 nights at Denali Princess, also realize you can easily do the shuttle buses as well.

Be aware that going in May, especially if before the very last few days is going to get you very limited access into the Park. Ideally, you need to look at June of later for Denali Park. The TWT is not available until about the last week. I would just take the shuttle to Toklat.

We are scheduled to be on a 1:00-6:00 NHT after arriving at Denali around 11:30 a.m. It is our only day in Denali, as we leave at 9:00 a.m. the next day.

If I were to cancel the NHT, what would reasonably fit into that timeframe? I guess I'm still fuzzy on the options.

Could we still take the NPS shuttle to Eileson (sp?)? Are shuttles narrated or just the tours? What time do shuttles stop running?

I think I need step-by-step directions!! What advice can you offer, please......

Thanks!!

We are scheduled to be on a 1:00-6:00 NHT after arriving at Denali around 11:30 a.m. It is our only day in Denali, as we leave at 9:00 a.m. the next day.

If I were to cancel the NHT, what would reasonably fit into that timeframe? I guess I'm still fuzzy on the options.

Could we still take the NPS shuttle to Eileson (sp?)? Are shuttles narrated or just the tours? What time do shuttles stop running?

I think I need step-by-step directions!! What advice can you offer, please......

Thanks!!

You could see if a TWT is available. Cost is $60pp. Would leave by 2pm. Alternative- book the Toklat Shuttle, which goes the same distance. NO, it's not "narrated", but this is a scenery and wildlife adventure. IF you want the details about Denali Park, there is plenty of good reading available. Cost is around $20 (you will have already paid your park fee), You would have to take all your own food and drink, there is a Subway close by the Denali Princess, the other lodges also have food. But also consider bringing your own from your prior stop. You have to verify your lodge's shuttle bus to the Access Center, where you pick up all shuttle buses. But you would have no trouble getting transfers to a 1pm Toklat Shuttle. The TWT buses pick up at lodges- mostly, this needs to be verified when booked.

As for Eielson, the last bus leaves at 2pm. It gets back late, and in the past, too late for the lodge shuttle which stops running earlier. Again, verify this directly for current information, this may now be available. With your early arrival, you could get the 1pm Eielson shuttle bus, but would have to be well organized with your food and drink ready.

It sincerely is worth all the effort to you to change this.

Archived