Age group for Princess Emerald?

sunrse1014

I have never been on a cruise before but am looking at booking the Princess Emerald in Feb 2010. My husband and I are 39 and 38. He is turning 40 in Feb. We wanted to have a great time and meet some wonderful fun people. I was wondering what the age group is for the Princess Cruise Line? It seems like a stupid question but I didn't know if it was an older crowd or younger crowd or just mixed. We didn't want to feel out of place.

Also how to you email a person to ask them a question instead of putting out the question for everybody to see? also when it shows that person online with the green light, is there anyway to talk to them?

I am new to the cruise critic so I am clueless. Thanks for all your help.

Dawn

The age on board varies with time of year (summer when school is out, spring break, holidays v. other times), length of cruise and port of departure/ports of call.

The Emerald in Feb will be in the Caribbean, and you should feel pretty much at home with the demographic. You will be far from the only 35-45's on board, but there shouldn't be too many kids and teenagers on board, as spring break will not be in full swing then. It is a short enough cruise, in the ever popular Caribbean, so you will find plenty of people your age.

When you book, join your roll call and get to know your fellow passengers on line. To find your roll call, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=387

click this link and then find your sailing date.

Not ignoring the rest of your questions, I just don't know how to chat privately on the boards. Perhaps if there is a way, someone else will be able to help with that one.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have never been on a cruise before but am looking at booking the Princess Emerald in Feb 2010. My husband and I are 39 and 38. He is turning 40 in Feb. We wanted to have a great time and meet some wonderful fun people. I was wondering what the age group is for the Princess Cruise Line? It seems like a stupid question but I didn't know if it was an older crowd or younger crowd or just mixed. We didn't want to feel out of place.

Also how to you email a person to ask them a question instead of putting out the question for everybody to see? also when it shows that person online with the green light, is there anyway to talk to them?

I am new to the cruise critic so I am clueless. Thanks for all your help.

Dawn

Since you are from NY and they have President's week vacation, if you go at that time you'll be sure to find lots of people your age. Especially school teachers. Of course you will also find lots of kids too.

We were also on the Emerald in February and we are middle age and we never felt out of place. Everyone is on vacation and wants to have a good time so we mixed and mingled with everyone from newly engaged young people to those in there 80's.

We were on the Emerald for a ten nighter in April; and, the demographics were middle age and up.
A cruise longer than 7 nights will often have older passengers as they are more likely to have the vacation time and the financial means to take a longer cruise. The longer the cruise, the older the average age but even on very long cruises, such as 31 days, there will be a mix of ages although it'll be generally older. A 7-day cruise will almost always have far more passengers in their 30s and 40s. On Princess, you're less likely to get the "party hearty" passengers whose only purpose for being on the cruise is to hook up and drink.

Hi Dawn

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I also live on Long Island, in Farmingdale. We just celebrated my wife's 40th birthday on the Caribbean Princess in May. We had a great time mostly because I joined our roll call and met a bunch of great people who's ages ranged from early 30's to 60's. Over a 7 month period we got to know each other, exchanged email addresses and made plans to tour the islands together and have dinner. We didn't know what each other looked like or how old we were (the picture at the top corner was just added) but yet we found common interests and bonded into smaller groups. You are going to meet people from all over the country and the world for that matter. Don't worry about feeling out of place eveyone is there for the same reason, to have a great time.

Enjoy your trip. I am sure you will be hooked like the rest of us.

Mike

P.S. I hope some day I get to sail the same cruise as Pam. I know she would be alot of fun.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I will take your advice and join the roll call. What type of room did you have when you went if you don't mind me asking?

I see you were on the same ship three different times. I guess you love that particular ship. Have you gone to Grand Turk while on those ships?

Dawn

It really is the luck of the draw. We did a 10-day on the Emerald in April. I am 50; DH is 49 and we felt very young compared to some on the cruise.

Have a great cruise, the Emerald is a great ship. I still miss the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee every morning...sigh.:p

I was on the Emerald this past April. Of the roughly 3k pax onboard the ship, I'd guesstimate 1/3 of them used some sort of mobility device; cane, wheelchair, scooter, etc. They rolled up the sidewalks about 10 p.m.

I'm 63, and I use a walker & cane; I felt out of place.

However the ages did range from those in a stroller up to people in their 80s.

You could always try looking at the roll calls for the week you want to cruise before you book and see the folks that are already signed up for that particular cruise. It might help a little. Remember, as active as we all are on here we are a small percentage of the overall ship.

If you are looking for fun and are under 40, you might want to look more closely at RCCL. The Princess experience is somewhat more subdued, regardless of the age group. With that said, as long as your Princess cruise is 7 days or less, there will be mixed ages.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I will take your advice and join the roll call. What type of room did you have when you went if you don't mind me asking?

I see you were on the same ship three different times. I guess you love that particular ship. Have you gone to Grand Turk while on those ships?

Dawn

I have sailed Princess 4 times and have had an obstructed view 3 times and a balcony once. The balcony was nice but I don't think We made much use of it. I booked a cruise for next year on the Caribbean Princess. It is a reposition cruise from San Juan to New York. We just sailed that itinerary last month and we enjoyed it so much that we booked it again when we got home. This time we will be taking our 2 sons. I booked two inside staterooms so the boys who will be 14 and 17 next year will have their own room. This will be our first time staying in an inside stateroom but I felt that we rather have the privacy and space over a window or balcony. It was less expensive to book 2 inside rooms than to book 4 of us in a mini suite or balcony. It is early so I hope that Princess offers the same upgrade sale they offered last year. I will be able to upgrade to obstructed views for the price of insides. The Caribbean Princess is a beautiful ship but when I book a cruise it is based on the time of year and the itinerary. The Caribbean Princess just happens to be the ship sailing.

We were on the Emerald in Jan 09 on a 10 day southern and are in our late 30's. I would say we were on the younger end of the spectrum but certainly the ship was not overrun with people who needed assistive devices to walk. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, however, we chose to spend our evenings with one of the live bands, comedians or the Princess theatre rather than the disco. If you are looking for a "club" scene--this is not going to be your ship. We met a lot of people of all ages thru our roll call, which was fantastic. We met up a couple times, but it was really nice to have some familiar faces to chat with and so much fun to have people to get excited with before the trip. Be sure to sign up for your roll call. This is a beautiful ship and it was a great itinerary. Enjoy your vacation and welcome to cruise critic!

Archived