Finding a hotel pre-cruise in Venice

alexangl

Any members have a suggestion for a nice hotel, not too overpriced, relatively close to the airport, the city attractions, and the port for a Royal Carribean cruise? Only staying one night prior. Thanks.

Any members have a suggestion for a nice hotel, not too overpriced, relatively close to the airport, the city attractions, and the port for a Royal Carribean cruise? Only staying one night prior. Thanks.

Nothing is cheap in Venice - expect to pay at least 140E for a decent place on the main island near the attractions.

Ron

The closest hotel to the airport is the Marriott Courtyard. We stayed there 10/07 and I would stay there again. They have a shuttle service

that will pick you up from the airport. Remember the roads are one lane

each way. From the hotel we checked with the desk re: van service to

the ship's terminal. I don't recall what the price was but we told them

if anyone else was going to the terminal maybe we could share the van.

We had 6 going so the price was very good. They drop you off right at

the ship. This way you do not have to take the water taxi's. We did

not want to carry our luggage over all the bridges. The restaurant had

great food, especially the steaks. They also had pizza. There is also

a sandwich area open most of the day. The restaurant opens I think

at 7. This was recommended by a Cruise Critic person and I checked

Trip Advisor. I made reservations thru the Marriott 800 #.

If you come in early in the day and staying for one night you can take

the public bus into Venice which you can get on across the street.

Return - getting off is a block before you get to the hotel.

The closest hotel to the airport is the Marriott Courtyard. We stayed there 10/07 and I would stay there again. quote]

Now, they even have a "stay and cruise" package that includes transport to the ship.

Check out www.venere.com for a hotel. They have a map showing the location of the hotels, the price and reviews. I also like tripadvisor.com for reviews.

There are a couple of nice hotels in Mestre, on the mainland that you could do taxis to that aren't too expensive. Golden Tulip Tritone and Hotel Bologna. Then you would have to take the train to Venice proper. But you could take a taxi to the cruise pier.

There are a couple of nice hotels in Piazzale Roma (the transportation hub of Venice, taxis, buses & vaporetto. Hotel Santa Chiara and Ca' Doge (but they are more money). Again doing a taxi to the cruise pier.

I couldn't find anything I liked for really reasonable rates in Venice, I ended up staying at Ca' Doge and paying $245. Good luck finding something you like for a reasonable price. And have a great trip!

Don't think there is hotel meeting all your prerequisites. Near the airport isn't near the the city's main attractions. But transportaion is available. Looks like you have a lot of research to do as far as how the area is laid out.

We'll be at Hotel Al Codega. Located between the Rialto Bridge and St. Mark's Square. Perfect for seeing the main sights. Easy to get to port and airport using public transportation.

One night is just enough to capture the important stuff in Venice.

Hotels near airport that offer convenient transportation to port are many but beware as its FAR from Venice!

Hotels near the city ( I assume Vencie ) are anything but cheap. Its "Venice" and Venice is in Italy which isn't cheap to start with. If you want convenient to attractions like "in" Venice proper then I think you'll be looking at 150+/room, more likely 200+. There are hotels near the train station that are a compromise and more reasonable. The train station offers easy access to both the Port the Airport but only a short ways from central Venice.

We used expedia to search for a hotel in Venice proper. Personally I found it well worth the 30% premium to be central. After early AM arrival we dropped our luggage at the hotel lobby and by 10am we were in San Marco, around 2pm everyone retired back to the hotel to check-in and get refreshed and at 4pm we all set back out to explore.

Good luck

Stay in Venice...don't waste time if you only have a day. We are staying at Hotel Abazzia which got good reviews...near train station so close to Port also. In Venice it is easy to get around by walking or vaporetto.

I have booked the Plaza Hotel across from the Railway Station in Mestre researched thru Tripadvisor a a cost of 85.50 euros per night with breakfast. It is my understanding that Bus 15 from airport to the train station across from Hotel is 3 euros and the train ride is ten minutes into Venice at 1 euro.

Check Tripadvisor for a wealth of information !

I leave July 2nd for 2 nights and will then go back to the airport on the 5th where my cruise included transfers get me to my ship.

Hi,

we 're staying at the Best Western Hotel Bologna,Mestre.The hotel is opposite the railway station and not far from the airport.As previous poster EDLOS says--only a few mins and 1 euro to get into Venice.

We paid 114 euro for double room with full breakfast (other deals available).

Hope this helps.

Taffygirl

Two years ago I did a post cruise extra day in Venice. We stay in Ca'Formenta Hotel, was excellent and prices were good. Check in tripadvisor for reviews. Two years ago was perfect, it is 5 min walk to St. Mark square and just in the limit the residential area (Via Garibaldi, I think), so you can have a taste of both worlds, and with tview to the Gran Canal

It is not close to the port, so I don't have idea how expensive is the ride to the port, I, however can tell you the price for a watertaxi form the Hotel to the airport: 100 euros...try vaporettos, but can be hard with luggage and a kid, which was my case...

Don't stay in Mestre. Staying in Venice gives you a whole different feel plus you can go back to your hotel to rest in between seeing and doing things. You can go to dinner and walk around in the evening and then just walk back to your hotel.

I see that there are two train stations serving Venice. Mestre and the one on the Grand Canal. I think that one is called Santa Lucia. My question is which one is easier to depart from post cruise? I'm looking to catch the Euro Star to Rome. Thanks for your help

I see that there are two train stations serving Venice. Mestre and the one on the Grand Canal. I think that one is called Santa Lucia. My question is which one is easier to depart from post cruise? I'm looking to catch the Euro Star to Rome. Thanks for your help

Are you going directly from the pier to the train station? No over night?

Santa Lucia would be the closest one to the port, and yes it is on the Grand Canal.

Mestre might be easier to depart from as you could take a taxi directly from the pier to the train station.

we stayed in the hotel widner a few weeks ago. it is near st marks in front of the san zaccaria vaporetta stop. what we liked about it was it's views (right on the lagoon), great breakfast, easy to get to with luggage (more important than you think). But mostly the location. venice was so so crowded. because we were so close to st. marks we were able to experience it at off times. after 8 at night or prior to 10 am. It is not a fancy place. but I would definitely stay there again.

I'll be traveling to Venice next summer for a couple of days pre-cruise with a friend and would love to find a hotel with two doubles or two twins. So far all I can find is rooms with one double. Any recommendations?

Also, are most of the hotels air-conditioned? It will be late June, and I'm sure we'll need some air!

I really liked Ca Doge. The Express Airport bus drops you off practically at the front door and it is near the cruise port. I think I paid about 80 euros, but the prices can vary. It isn't on a canal, oh well.

http://www.cadoge.it/

I had the room with the little balcony! It is air conditioned and free Internet, but no elevator if that is required. The person who checked me in grabbed one of my bags and ran up the stairs, however, and then refused a tip!

I have some pictures here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/venice/sunday/first/first.htm

and a few more:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/venice/sunday/sec/sec.htm

I walked to the cruise ship (not with my luggage) - not bad.

There is also a Coop supermarket across the square.

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Al Ponte de Mocenigo almost three years ago, perenially recommended on tripadvisor. It is a flat 40 yard-walk from the St. Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. Lovely renovated palazzo with a small side canal main entrance.

We just returned from Venice. We stayed at the Hotel Arlecchino the night before our cruise and enjoyed it. It's a bit pricier than some, but was very convienient. A quad was 224 euro and a double was 152 euro. The rooms were very nice, air conditioned, and included breakfast. We arrived early, took the ATVO (blue bus) for 3 euro each to Piazzale Roma from the airport. You can see the hotel from Piazzale Roma (you cross one bridge). They let us store our bags until our rooms were ready at 2 pm and we went exploring. The next morning you just go back to Piazzale Roma and catch the free shuttle to the port.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
I know some people who had a quad here so that should certainly have more than one bed:

http://www.hotelcanal.com/en/index.htm

Not far from where I was, but you need to carry your luggage over one small bridge (maybe 2?).

Air conditioned - not sure about an elevator.

IMG_0128.JPG

Must be a popular hotel -- I checked availability for 2 people, 1 room, 2 nights for late June 2010 and there's nothing available!!

Must be a popular hotel -- I checked availability for 2 people, 1 room, 2 nights for late June 2010 and there's nothing available!!

Just a thought--you might want to fill out their request for availability form http://www.hotelcanal.com/en/request.htm and submit it to them directly. I had a similar problem with another hotel and it had to do with their booking system not being able to book that far ahead. They replied to me via email and confirmed my reservation for May 2010.

Deb

Don't think many motels post their rates/availability until about 9 months out. You may be too far out for them to post their room rates, etc. Try as it gets closer or do as the above post suggests and send an email.

Archived