passport validation?

BEARFACE

Hi,

Going on a cruise next April, 2010 and my passport expires June,2010. The cruise is on Celebrity Summit (RT) out of Bayonne, NJ to Bermuda.

Would my passport have to be renewed ahead of time due to the 6 month requirement? I do realize that this is a "closed loop cruise" and only need a DL or BC, but I will not have a problem with Bermuda, correct?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!!

Assuming you are a US citizen, you do not need a passport for this trup. A BC & DL will be enough.

Are you planning to use the passport instead of the BC & DL? Is so, the passport usually has to be valid for 6 months beyond the return date. Yours would not meet this rule. You have plenty of time, you could renew the passport before the cruise.

Hi,

Going on a cruise next April, 2010 and my passport expires June,2010. The cruise is on Celebrity Summit (RT) out of Bayonne, NJ to Bermuda.

Would my passport have to be renewed ahead of time due to the 6 month requirement? I do realize that this is a "closed loop cruise" and only need a DL or BC, but I will not have a problem with Bermuda, correct?

It probably won't matter...but given the large amount of time you have between now and your cruise, why don't you just go ahead and renew it early in 2010, and then there won't be a problem at all.

To me, your sitiuation boils down to the fact that you will not know for absolute certainty that your current passport will be sufficient untl you have checked it. If at that point, they determine the passport is NOT acceptable, you would be denied boarding. Is it worth the risk?

There is no problem using a 2-month-left passport to board a RT cruise to Bermuda. The passport is valid in the US up to and including the day of expiration. Bermuda won't care, since, as OP noted, they do not require a passport of US cruise visitors. Airlines also won't care since any emergency flight home would be using a US passport to head to the US.

The purported 6 month 'requirement' is simply the highest common factor of all possible destination countries and transportation providers. If you are not using those modes of transportation and are going to countries with a less-restrictive limit, then certainly you can use a passport with less than 6 months expiry.

There are many travellers who prefer not to have to bother to keep themselves updated on any changing rules and for them, keeping to a 6 month minimum expiration is the better choice; but that may not be a suitable choice for everyone else.

Renew your passport. I cannot see any reason not to. The following is from the Bermuda Cruise guide:

Passports for Bermuda Cruises

The Passport requirement for American passengers on cruises to Bermuda seems to change often - your federal tax dollars at work! The current situation is that US citizens must present either (a) a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID such as a driver's license, along with proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate.

After June 1, 2009, US citizens entering the United States at sea ports will be required to have a passport, passport card or WHTI-compliant document.

The above information is subject to change at any time by the fine folk running the government. Go to the US Department of State website for current information about passports and how to get one.

There is no problem using a 2-month-left passport to board a RT cruise to Bermuda. The passport is valid in the US up to and including the day of expiration. Bermuda won't care, since, as OP noted, they do not require a passport of US cruise visitors. Airlines also won't care since any emergency flight home would be using a US passport to head to the US.

The purported 6 month 'requirement' is simply the highest common factor of all possible destination countries and transportation providers. If you are not using those modes of transportation and are going to countries with a less-restrictive limit, then certainly you can use a passport with less than 6 months expiry.

There are many travellers who prefer not to have to bother to keep themselves updated on any changing rules and for them, keeping to a 6 month minimum expiration is the better choice; but that may not be a suitable choice for everyone else.

Thanks:) I actually called Celebrity Corporate and explained that I needed an absolute definite answer about this. I was assured I would be A-Okay checking in at the pier. And I am not worried once in Bermuda, you do not need a passport there. I just did not want any problems at the pier, thanks again.

Renew your passport. I cannot see any reason not to. The following is from the Bermuda Cruise guide:
The 'Bermuda Cruise Guide' is NOT an official site and appears to be operated by an (uninformed) travel agency. The statement about needing passports for cruises to Bermuda is INCORRECT. It would be best to only post information from reputable sites and government agencies (even then, one must make certain to check the details of exceptions).

The United States site, from the Department of Homeland Security says this:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents

www.getyouhome.gov

Hi,

Renew it before going. Why take a chance?

Sounds like you've received an answer that is satisfactory to you, but my (un-asked for!) advice would be to renew the passport soon. Given your cruise is in April and your expiry in June, what happens if you apply when you get home and then your application is held up for some reason and takes longer than two months? You would be without a passport. IMO, it's not worth the risk.

American passports are good for 10 years; it's an investment in the future so you won't have to worry about it at all. Basically, you're talking about a couple of months' difference.

Archived