Open seating versus Assigned Seating

Brockwest

I've cruised for many years on many lines. Recently lines have added open seating (eat when you want at a new table with new waiters.) On Carnival Breakfast and Dinner is open seating. ONLY on Carnival did they do this correctly! They allow you to specify where you wish to sit and if you wish to join others. We were able to seat at a table for two without problem.

On Royal Carribean they sat you Sardine style at lone cafeteria tables with total strangers. If you were seated with a loud large group, your meal was ruined.

I VASTLY prefer assigned seating. Your waiter becomes your friend and works for his ultimate tip.

I simply will never sail on a ship with open dinner seating. Simply put, two old foggies sitting with ten drunk revelers won't work.

Meals are probably the most important part of the trip, so you seat assignment and seatmates are vital. One another cruise I was assigned to a table to Bubba and Mrs. Bubba who had won a cruise in a contest. He even came to formal night in an undershirt.

On a R.C. cruise were were overwhelmed with a GIGANTIC (several thousand) ethnic group who essentially took over the ship and glared at anyone not in their group.

I guess I'm spoiled. I've sailed on Crystal and had 5-Star assigned meals for all three meals and the SS United States (equivalent to the Titantic) which had 56-page menus even for Breakfast.

All-in-all....for the money...Carnival is your best bargain. For the food, ambience, and VIP customers, Crystal is your best luxury. If you want to go with the Homeless, try Premier....if it's still floating.

I have an opinion that is different from yours. I am looking forward to open dining at dinner. I know I will be able to choose how many sit at my table. I also know that early dining is too early for me and late dining is too late for those traveling with us. Open dining is perfect as we will be able to go at a time convenient for all of us and I understand we will be able to sit in the same section nightly should we wish.

I guess I don't understand the last few sentences in your post. Just because you don't like something, it doesn't mean that others agree with you and are beneath you because they disagree.

:confused:

We're doing open seating on our first ever cruise. I'll never in my life be able to afford a Crystal Cruise. I'm glad you have that privilege.

I'm sure we'll get along fine with Mr. and Mrs. Bubba, if we have to sit with them, happily overlooking the Mister's tee. However, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to pick our table, and if not, it'll be fun meeting new people. If I run into an "ethnic group" of several thousand I'll be amazed since there are only 2,000+ on our ship. :)

:confused:

We're doing open seating on our first ever cruise. I'll never in my life be able to afford a Crystal Cruise. I'm glad you have that privilege.

I'm sure we'll get along fine with Mr. and Mrs. Bubba, if we have to sit with them, happily overlooking the Mister's tee. However, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to pick our table, and if not, it'll be fun meeting new people. If I run into an "ethnic group" of several thousand I'll be amazed since there are only 2,000+ on our ship. :)

People like to exagerate. I cruise 3-4 times a year. 3 4 day and 1 7 day. I saw one old man in bib overalls every night on one cruise. I enjoyed watching him and his family. They were just being themselves and not pretending to be people they were not and they had as much right to be on that cruise as I did.

I chose open seating because which I think is the best option for my family. This way we won't be stuck sitting at a table with a snob who wants to make comments about ethnic groups or boast about a cruise they took 20 years ago.

Now, if I could be assured we'd have the pleasure to dine with the bubba family I might consider assigned seating.

:o

I've cruised for many years on many lines. Recently lines have added open seating (eat when you want at a new table with new waiters.) On Carnival Breakfast and Dinner is open seating. ONLY on Carnival did they do this correctly! They allow you to specify where you wish to sit and if you wish to join others. We were able to seat at a table for two without problem.

On Royal Carribean they sat you Sardine style at lone cafeteria tables with total strangers. If you were seated with a loud large group, your meal was ruined.

I VASTLY prefer assigned seating. Your waiter becomes your friend and works for his ultimate tip.

I simply will never sail on a ship with open dinner seating. Simply put, two old foggies sitting with ten drunk revelers won't work.

Meals are probably the most important part of the trip, so you seat assignment and seatmates are vital. One another cruise I was assigned to a table to Bubba and Mrs. Bubba who had won a cruise in a contest. He even came to formal night in an undershirt.

On a R.C. cruise were were overwhelmed with a GIGANTIC (several thousand) ethnic group who essentially took over the ship and glared at anyone not in their group.

I guess I'm spoiled. I've sailed on Crystal and had 5-Star assigned meals for all three meals and the SS United States (equivalent to the Titantic) which had 56-page menus even for Breakfast.

All-in-all....for the money...Carnival is your best bargain. For the food, ambience, and VIP customers, Crystal is your best luxury. If you want to go with the Homeless, try Premier....if it's still floating.

• Administrators

What a strange post. :( I personally would say you are more than "spoiled" -- a few different adjectives came to my mind as I read your post.

Premier hasn't been in business since the year 2000, which makes me wonder about just how "current" your information is. I prefer open seating arrangements (on any cruiseline) and haven't ever encountered subpar service, but then again, I don't think "meals are the most important part of the trip," nor do I expect my "friends" (the waiter, per your post) to "work for their ultimate tip." How... colonial.

I'd recommend you stick to Crystal, and that you sail again real soon, to see how it works here in the real world in 2009. On the Triumph last month, at "open seating" breakfast I was seated with other groups, no questions asked -- the available chairs were filled as people came up to the maitre'd. On most cruiselines (Carnival included) open seating dinner lets you request a table size.

I guess only a couple didn't read the post correctly. IF....you are given the opportunity of seating in open seating where you want...alone, with a small group, or a large group, then open seating is fine. IF, like R.C. you assigned like sheep to large 20 person tables and fed like cattle....you feel like you are in a H.S cafeteria. If you have the misfortune of being with an outsider of a gigantic group who don't accept your type it can be very uncomfortable.

Open seating is actually better than being assigned an entire trip to the same table with incompatible seatmates. One cruise we were assigned with a Delightful couple with a ton a young, restless, crying kids. It got old meal after meal.

I enjoyed my cruise at a table alone with my dying wife. It gave her and gave me the privacy and personal attention we needed...whether it was a slow dinner or an immediate dinner.

Take Any group you wouldn't want to sit with...loud, drunk, impolite, unwashed, rude and be assigned there without a chance to get away, it's tough.

I've found marvelous friends in the open Ballroom dancing nights. Some of us are hairy-leg contest people, some are formal night people....doesn't mean one is better than the other...some like Coke, some like Pepsi...it's vacation....choose what makes you happy.

For instance, it's VERY important to me to be ultra-polite to the servers and stewards. I'm very embarrassed if people mistreat them. Usually servers and stewards are my great friends by the end of the cruise.

For MichelleP: I'm sorry my cruises haven't been current enough for you....my last was was last week, but I've been unable to travel for seven years because of paralysis from Army Injuries in my tank, and have only now had the courage to try it again. I was very pleased.

I'm aware Premier is gone....just mentioned it as the Worst Cruise line. I mentioned the SS United States (also gone) as it was my first cruise as a young boy and awesome...sort of thought it would be fun to hear from someone who had cruised in the Titantic days.

I'll be very happy to cruise Crystal again, but I used up my retirement funds to take my dying wife on her desired once-in-a-lifetime Alaskan vacation. If I can save the money again, I look forward to cruising Crystal again. In the meantime, I find Crystal the best value for the money and the nicest passengers.

I've found many people DO consider the meals the highlight of their day, I know I always have. I consider service at a nice restaurant as important as the meal, and always strive to treat the waitstaff as friends (my daughter is a server and has expressed how important this is to her.) My service was excellent and my tip was 35% for the server and 35% for the bartender each night, so I believe they were happy.

Hey, I'm just here to have fun.

I'm very grateful that Physical Therapy has improved me to the point I'm able to walk again. I found the watersports were great as they lessened the load on my broken back and neck, but the zipline impossible. I was most pleased that my greatest fright...the immense walking from part A on the ship to part B was doable.

I was disappointed how much more difficult it was to snorkle using half-a-body, but by George I did it. I'm sure Cayman is wondering where all their seawater went though...I swallowed half of it. Scuba was awesome for me....no body weight, tons of oxygen, weightless.

Actually the worst tablemates I ever had was with a couple who thought they were better then everyone else and complained about everything on the ship. Who did nothing but brag about how great they were and all the better cruise lines they were on, this was a Princess cruise. Took one bite out of their food and sent it back, the women complaining that her fish tasted like fish. Some of your coments reminded me of them. Thank God this was anytime seating, would not want to have put up with them for 2 nights. After that we chose to dine at a table for 2.

Sir-I really don't think anyone is making lite of your situation.We are greatful for your service in the military.(Our VA's offer some great care)Hopefully they are part of the reason you are so pleased with Physical Theraphy(For your Service Connected Disability)It was great of you to provide the Alaskan cruise for your wife.

However,you must still remember you were on a cruise ship with several thousand people,who are not always going to be the type of people you consider ACCEPTABLE!Some people save for months/years to have the pleasure to cruise.I feel we can learn something from every person we come in contact with.Hopefully one day you can cruise Crystal again.

I must admit I wasn't in that couple of people who got your OP.

Stacie.

Since when are dining tables "cafeteria" style??? Didnt you specify your table preference before you booked on RCCL??? Anytime dining is the way to go IMHO

Archived