(emergency) codes on ships

Just wondering, what are the different emergency codes used over the PA systems?

On our last cruise we could hear Oscar Oscar Oscar, and unfortunately we shortly after knew that was the code for man overboard.

Anyone else experienced something similar or know what other codes being used? Is this standard codes or cruise line specific? I think I have heard Bravo means fire?

Alpha = Medical

Bravo = Fire

Charlie = Bomb Threat

Oscar = Overboard

There are a few others, but most cruise lines use somewhat different emergency codes so sometimes it can be difficult to keep track :confused:

As far as the "codes" for the ships... at least RCI ships... on our last tour of the bridge (yes a perk for Diamond+) I asked... and this is what I learned...

Oscar - Man overboard... Usually with a direction (port or starboard, forward or aft)

Delta - Bio Hazard (I don't even want to think about that one)

Alpha - Medical ... again often with a location

Bravo - Fire... one you never want to hear --

Happy Sailing!

We had a "bravo bravo bravo" on our cruise with Freedom of the seas in october -08. There was a fire in one of the galleys.

When I first heard the call I wondered what it was about. Later the captain announced in the PA system that there had been a fire. But no one was hurt and the staff had put it out.

Later that evening our hillarious waiter told us that if we heard "oscar oscar oscar" we should run out on deck because that ment "man over board". :D

And if you hear Pan Pan Pan Pan it doesn't mean theres trouble in the Kitchen lol

jj.....

You would not hear Pan Pan Pan over the PA, only over the marine radio and it would not be a good thing for the person making the call (urgent request for help).

Mike

This is from an article on the most recent tragedy on a ship, The Elation, where it is being reported that a man killed his wife onboard, and FBI is investigating it.

"According to one woman, passengers heard a ship code "Bright Star" over the public address system Tuesday night. Later they were told the code meant there had been a death onboard the ship."

You are soooo right on that comment . .. While on our last cruise in the baltics (overnight in St Petersburg) we heard the Bravo, Bravo Port Side Promanade . ... at 2am in EVERY CABIN. We knew something was wrong for the broadcast to be in our room! They are usually just in the common areas. We looked out of our balcony .. . on the port side . .. and saw the refueling barge on fire!!! It was tethered to the ship! My DH and I grabbed our passports and left the room immediately! But the senior officer on duty assured us that the barge contained deisle fuel - and was not a threat. I was not assured. The captain came back on 2 or three times to assure the passengers that the danger was gone. So, anyone who had not been awakened by the Bravo, Bravo was surely awakened by the Captain 2 more times. Needless to say it was the talk of the town the next morning! I can't tell you how frightened I was to see the refueling barge on fire ... :eek:

But all was well quickly. Whew.

• 1 year later...
Alpha- Medical Emergency

Bravo - Fire

Charlie - Missing Person

Oscar - Man Overboard.

There are probably more that I am forgetting.

Thank you for joining today, finding a year and a half old thread, and repeating the same answer that was given in post #2.

:rolleyes:

Thank you for joining today, finding a year and a half old thread, and repeating the same answer that was given in post #2.

Way to jerk the welcome mat out from under the feet of the newest member of our community...

And yet people are amazed at the vitriol continually spewed on this forum?

People with high post counts on CC get to say anything that they want, while they would jump all over a low count poster for saying something similar and have them removed. There are a number of high post count people that display the same behaviors.

These kinds of posts are uncalled for and not necessary.

Having a bad day, Merion Mom? I am pretty new here, and I have always respected your vast knowledge of cruising and your willingness to help people with your informative answers. But with all due respect, ma'am, this post was uncalled for and out of line.

Give Carol (Marion Mom) a break, all of us have posted things that we are sorry for after.

If Merion Mom regrets her post, she can come on here and apologize. Until then, my previous comment stands.

Being new on a web forum is a lot like being new to cruising. Things that are second nature to the veterans inspire slack-jawed wonder to the newbies. And things that are as natural as breathing to the experienced can be confusing or downright befuddling to someone not used to it.

Compared to the average civilian, I may be a fairly knowledgeable cruiser. But compared to the folks here on this forum . . . well, I'm sure it seems like I can barely tell a cruise ship from a barge. Thankfully, most people here on CC -- including Merion Mom, usually -- are very kind and helpful, and I am tremendously grateful for this resource. But for some of you . . . before you hit the "submit reply" key, try hard to remember what it was like when you walked up that gangway for the very first time, having no idea what you were about to experience. And also, kindly be reminded of the old adage: if you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Thank you.

Archived